PDA

View Full Version : Manticore's sting + decisive strike build

Soranar
2016-07-03, 10:14 PM
So manticore's sting is basically manyshot for throwers (with only a 1 feat tax)

It requires you to be a Mror Dwarf but, other than that it's fairly straightforward. Also, unlike manyshot, it doesn't precise that every attack you make are treated separately for DR (though most DM would just imply it)

It's fairly difficult to optimize mind because throwing is just generally inferior to archery (a simple fighter with a force bow is a force to be recknowned with).

But so far this is what I came up with

Factotum 8 (so level 1-8 is just a normal factotum that takes the thrower route and uses Iaijutsu focus to boost his damage a bit)

then you dip monk at level 9 and use Decisive Strike

Suddenly you can grant yourself extra standard actions whose damage is doubled by Decisive Strike and you get 2 or 3 attacks per standard action because of manticore's sting.

My problem is this is all I have so far.

Since Decisive strike doesn't mention armor or shields, I see no reason not to use both and dump WIS. I'm not using TWF so I can use my offhand to carry a shield. If I really want to nova an encounter I can add my INT to hit and Damage (to mitigate the to hit penalty somewhat) by using more inspiration points.

My question is, now what. I have used 9 levels to get there, what do you suggest I do with the rest?

WhamBamSam
2016-07-04, 01:05 AM
Since you're a Factotum with a fighting style based around Quick Drawing things, Iaijutsu Focus is an obvious choice.

If you don't dump Wisdom, then you could take Ring the Golden Bell, which would let you make your Decisive Strike at range as well as your thrown attacks. Might not be worth it though.

Master Thrower would be good here, and it gives Quick Draw as a bonus feat, so if you time it right, you can mitigate the feat tax to enter the class a bit. If you don't mind delaying Decisive Strike by a level, you can go Factotum 8/Master Thrower 1/Monk 1/Stuff. Double Toss and Trip Shot would be good thrown weapon tricks for this build.

Anything that gives a flat bonus to damage is beneficial to a Decisive Strike build. A level of Hit-and-Run Fighter might not go amiss, either using your bonus feat to pick up Dead Eye for a second instance of Dex to damage, or going for the sneak attack variant to qualify for Craven. A level of Cloistered Cleric could get you Knowledge Devotion, which is a good flat damage bonus for a Factotum (it could even be used to pay your Weapon Focus, or with a weird back story, Point Blank Shot feat taxes as well).

Since you're so feat tight (on top of all the stuff for throwing, you'll want a bunch of Fonts) and in Eberron, Heir of Siberys might not be a bad way to go.

More Factotum also isn't a bad choice, since you can always use more IP.

animewatcha
2016-07-04, 02:15 AM
Interestingly, Decisive strike doesn't say who the target has to be ( unarmed attack to the ground ). So monk1/ Factotum 8 / whatever x deals double damage on arrows that are fired as well.

Soranar
2016-07-04, 06:37 AM
Since decisive strike works with shurikens, it normally works on thrown attacks anyway so I don't need ring the golden bells.

It would work with a bow, and it might be worth it to go that route just because bows are much easier to enchant than thrown weapons (hank's energy bow comes to mind) and usually deal more damage despite Iaijutsu focus (which is just difficult to trigger reliably and it's damage is not multiplied by decisive strike).

Manyshot, instead of manticore's sting, has more of a feat tax but it would let me play something else than a dwarf. I'll have to look into it.

WhamBamSam
2016-07-04, 10:16 AM
Since decisive strike works with shurikens, it normally works on thrown attacks anyway so I don't need ring the golden bells.

It would work with a bow, and it might be worth it to go that route just because bows are much easier to enchant than thrown weapons (hank's energy bow comes to mind) and usually deal more damage despite Iaijutsu focus (which is just difficult to trigger reliably and it's damage is not multiplied by decisive strike).

Manyshot, instead of manticore's sting, has more of a feat tax but it would let me play something else than a dwarf. I'll have to look into it.Huh, so it does, neat.

Iaijutsu focus should work with an Elvencraft Bow anyway, though redrawing it is awkward (cursing one of the quarterstaff ends and dropping it repeatedly works, but more elegant options are fairly thin on the ground).

Shuriken are enchanted as ammunition, though you also burn through them like ammunition. The biggest draw of throwing over shooting is probably Master Thrower for Double Toss and Trip Shot. Feats end up being pretty even unless you're only spending feats to get to Manticore's Sting and not doing any other throwing optimization.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-04, 02:26 PM
If you can get some gloves of endless shuriken (rather than javelins), you're good on the enchanted/force damage part. Hank's energy shuriken works, too.

Diarmuid
2016-07-05, 11:48 AM
Holy smokes, I never noticed the part of Decisive Strike that mentions it giving that bonus to other attacks you make before your next turn.

Interesting, but unfortunately too late for the Monk I was playing as the game he was in just recently conclude.