PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Elder Scrolls D&D 5th Edition

tuturutut
2016-07-04, 01:27 AM
I first posted this on the D&D 5e/Next section because I didn't noticed this section existed so, since I made new updates I decided to create a new thread here.

http://tesdnd.blogspot.com.br/

I know there's a lot of conversions already, but I only found races and some birthsigns and they where all done in 3.5, so I decided to do my own thing. I'm planning on converting the whole universe, birthsigns, races, classes, spells, monsters, daedric princes and artifacts, also add a bunch of lore to help creating new campaings.

I want you guys to say what you think about how things are done so far, I know a lot of things are unbalanced but I'm a little lost on how to address this issue and I run out of ideas for new racial traits for most of the races.

So, what do you think, can you land me a little help?

Thanks

JRDS
2016-07-04, 11:44 AM
I feel like the Imperials need a small something something, since all other human subraces have an extra benefit aside from the stat increases.

Also, men in general are a lot worse than mer. There is a huge difference in what you've done with the mer and what you've done with the men.

bulbaquil
2016-07-04, 01:30 PM
Imperials in the games tend to be financially lucky, though admittedly this is hard to simulate in tabletop. Maybe give them the "Lucky" racial trait possessed by the core-rules Halfling?

Final Hyena
2016-07-04, 02:13 PM
Birthsigns
I feel that The Mage is very strong.
The Ritual is also potentially abusable when you consider rage and life clerics.
The Serpent is a bit lackluster. I would prefer it to be fairly beefed up, but once a day.
The Shadow should be once a day.
The Tower should be reworded to give advantage and should also likely be once a day.

Races
Imperial certainly needs pumping up

Edit;

Imperials in the games tend to be financially lucky, though admittedly this is hard to simulate in tabletop. Maybe give them the "Lucky" racial trait possessed by the core-rules Halfling?
Maybe persuasion or deception? Or you could try something in between,for example you re roll social rolls relating to business transactions that have an unmodified result of 5 or less.

tuturutut
2016-07-05, 04:15 PM
I know what you guys are saying, the problem is that the games only helped me so far, I read the lore and still I had no ideias for new racial traits for mens. Men are very plain, they are basically just humans.

Initially I gave the imperials a bonus on finding gold but it was too vague and possibly useless on later levels.

I already converted the Lucky racial trait from halflings into The Thief birthsign, I think it will be redundant asign it to imperials.

Birthsigns
I feel that The Mage is very strong.
The Ritual is also potentially abusable when you consider rage and life clerics.
The Serpent is a bit lackluster. I would prefer it to be fairly beefed up, but once a day.
The Shadow should be once a day.
The Tower should be reworded to give advantage and should also likely be once a day.

Races
Imperial certainly needs pumping up

Edit;

Maybe persuasion or deception? Or you could try something in between,for example you re roll social rolls relating to business transactions that have an unmodified result of 5 or less.

The Mage: I'm thinking on tuning it down to just a free cantrip
The Ritual: I've been away from the game for some time, unfortunately I don't know what invites to abuse. Any ideas how to fix this? I believe any kind of healing effect will fit.
The Serpent: I'm more inclined into make things weaker but able to be used more times. In my old group I noticed that things with very limited number of uses tend to make people very hesitant and uneasy about using it in the wrong time.
The Shadow: Do you think decreasing the distance will sufice? Maybe just 10 feets.
The Tower: I'll planning to change it to 'once a day you can reroll a failed attempt to open a lock'.

Actually I really liked the idead of persuasion on imperial.

Final Hyena
2016-07-05, 04:45 PM
The Ritual: I've been away from the game for some time, unfortunately I don't know what invites to abuse. Any ideas how to fix this? I believe any kind of healing effect will fit.
Perhaps a single use heal that scales to your HD. Or you could give a turn undead like the clerics channel. I believe both are fitting to the theme.

The Serpent: I'm more inclined into make things weaker but able to be used more times. In my old group I noticed that things with very limited number of uses tend to make people very hesitant and uneasy about using it in the wrong time.
I'm the same as a player, I suggested it because it fitted with the serpent stone (oblivion) also a d12 at will ability is kind of meh for most people, but possibly a bit too much for others. A single use ability that is powerful is more appealing to a wider range of classes.

The Shadow: Do you think decreasing the distance will sufice? Maybe just 10 feets.
It's a cantrip that teleports.... But 10 feet and a light restriction might be enough.

The Tower: I'll planning to change it to 'once a day you can reroll a failed attempt to open a lock'.
The difficulty with lock picking is that often a failed check doesn't have a consequence, make sure your games have a reason as to why lock picking isn't just a roll until you get the number to make the sign worthwhile.

tuturutut
2016-07-05, 08:32 PM
Perhaps a single use heal that scales to your HD. Or you could give a turn undead like the clerics channel. I believe both are fitting to the theme.

These are pretty good ideas, I liked especially the single use heal.

I'm the same as a player, I suggested it because it fitted with the serpent stone (oblivion) also a d12 at will ability is kind of meh for most people, but possibly a bit too much for others. A single use ability that is powerful is more appealing to a wider range of classes.

I see your point on making it more appealing to everyone. I'll put some thought into this, even though I'm still hesitant about making players uneasy about the right time to use the ability, this can easily frustrate some people.

It's a cantrip that teleports.... But 10 feet and a light restriction might be enough.

Yeah, I know, but I really didn't liked the idea of invisibility, especially only once a day. The use would be extremely situational and I think most people would just ignore it also.
I love Shadow Step.

The difficulty with lock picking is that often a failed check doesn't have a consequence, make sure your games have a reason as to why lock picking isn't just a roll until you get the number to make the sign worthwhile.

Usually in my group when the can't pick a lock the master tell us the lock became jammed and we can't try again.
Dungeon masters usually let players try to open locks until they get the results?

Final Hyena
2016-07-06, 05:13 AM
I see your point on making it more appealing to everyone. I'll put some thought into this, even though I'm still hesitant about making players uneasy about the right time to use the ability, this can easily frustrate some people.
Your highest spell slots are pretty much that, it takes a while to get use to the decisions but the choice of when do use limited resources or to hold back creates the kind of important moments that make a player feel he has agency instead of "I guess I roll my basic attack."

Dungeon masters usually let players try to open locks until they get the results?
There is no official penalty for failing a pick lock check, so unless a guard happens to be closing in on you or it's during combat most DMs (from my experience) just let you keep at it. I prefer a more abstract method of the single die affecting how long it takes you to complete the task, which encompasses more appropriate risk.

DizzyWood
2016-07-07, 08:46 AM
I think you can keep the sorcerer. Just make them defendant from powerful servants of dragons who were granted power. Easy fix done. The wild sorcerers the could have been exposed to the wild energies of Oblivion and then developed strange powers. Druids make sense in two ways maybe as caretakers of the Hist in Argonia and followers of Kinarath in the rest of the world. They just learned different spells and come from a less formal tradition than priests.

tuturutut
2016-07-07, 05:55 PM
I think you can keep the sorcerer. Just make them defendant from powerful servants of dragons who were granted power. Easy fix done. The wild sorcerers the could have been exposed to the wild energies of Oblivion and then developed strange powers. Druids make sense in two ways maybe as caretakers of the Hist in Argonia and followers of Kinarath in the rest of the world. They just learned different spells and come from a less formal tradition than priests.

I could do something similar to the Skyrim's Dragon Priests, it will be good enough and since they don't use Breath Weapon there won't be any problems.
It's just that I'm not very fond of the whole create wings thing.
Also, if the campaing seting isn't in a era where dragons exist it won't make any sense.

The problem with the Oblivion thing is the same, the only time people openly came into contact with a Daedric Prince plane was during the Oblivion Crisis and the gates only lead to Mehrunes Dagon.
It's also very rare for people come into contact with a Daedric Prince or enter their planes and I'm already planning on using then for the Warlock's Otherworldly Patrons.

The major problem with the druid is that as far as I know in TES there are no spells capable of shapeshifting into animals.
And the fact that only some races or backgrounds would make sense in a Druid I believe it will left very little room for creativity and role playing.

DizzyWood
2016-07-08, 10:30 AM
Remember the PCs are SPECIAL!!!! They do the weird things, the unheard of things, the legendary things! So that's ok. Also not true if you follow all of the deadric quest lines you end up in Deadric realms at least one other time. Sure it LOOKS like Oblivion but thats cause new textures are HARD! Also there is a bunch of other Deadra besides the princes that could be used... so that really opens things up.
If you do not like the grow wings thing you could just give them a flight spell or another bonus. Also they could be descendants of people who were granted powers by dragons even if it was thousands of years ago.

tuturutut
2016-07-08, 04:30 PM
Remember the PCs are SPECIAL!!!! They do the weird things, the unheard of things, the legendary things! So that's ok. Also not true if you follow all of the deadric quest lines you end up in Deadric realms at least one other time. Sure it LOOKS like Oblivion but thats cause new textures are HARD! Also there is a bunch of other Deadra besides the princes that could be used... so that really opens things up.
If you do not like the grow wings thing you could just give them a flight spell or another bonus. Also they could be descendants of people who were granted powers by dragons even if it was thousands of years ago.

I don't see the PCs as special at all, at least not until later levels, most of then are just normal people with their professions, trades and skills, who abandoned their daily lifes to go on adventures, the Backgrounds only reinforces this idea. There are others barbarians, rangers, rogues and wizards around the world you know.

And there is a huge gap between doing weird things that other adventurers also can do and doing weird things that only you can do.

I don't want to bend the lore or create new things just to make my job easier.