PDA

View Full Version : The shoulder to cry on: Paladin support build

Lombra
2016-07-04, 02:06 PM
Hello everyone, I'd like to share this idea of the stereotypical paladin that supports the team with all his strength of will.

The general idea is a sword & board variant human frontliner which either buffs the party or debuffs the enemy, a good tank which can stay at pace during the fight with his fellow fighter/barbarian/rogue.

The stats, ranked by importance should be:
STR,CHA,CON,DEX,WIS,INT.
I'm not gonna bother myself tinkering with numbers from the point-buy system, since roll 4d6, take best 3 seems the most used technique.

Base equipment: shield with holy symbol engraved in, longsword, plate armor (shiny plate armor).

Feats: the goal is to fill the best support role, so shield master and inspiring leader seems to be the best choices.

Fighting style: at level 2 you get to coose the fighting style, most S&Bers go for dueling, but since we are talking about supporting frontliners, protection fighting style looks like the best.

Now for the Oaths: Devotion is both thematically and mechanically effective, although Vengeance looks so cool that it's hard to overlook, but I still feel like Devotion should be the way to go.

That's how I thougt it, but I'm too nooby to say that these are the best choices, please give advice on spells, feats and multiclassing! As far as the latter is concerned I pondered MCing in life cleric for better healing (although there's some MADness issues), sorcerer to convert sorc points in spell slots and overall better spellcasting flexibility, or fighter to get defense fighting style, action surge and the champion's enhanced critical / battlemaster's maneouver goodness.

PS: I'd like to keep it as iconic as possible, so I discourage Dex-based builds, but other than that any help is very welcome. :)

Corran
2016-07-04, 03:19 PM
I think charisma is more important than strenght, given aura of protection and inspiring leader, and also given you are S&Boarding.

Taking 3 levels fighter (battlemaster) might not be the best thing to do, but I would like how maneuvres like commander's strike, distracting strike, maneuvering attack and rally would add to your support capabilities.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-04, 03:28 PM
I agree about CHA. You won't be attacking every round, but you should be doing something CHA-related most of the time as a support player. I'd also say get your CON to at least 16, since you can't take hits or offer support if you're dead. With all of that considered, you may not want to multiclass or take any additional feats, since otherwise your stats will suffer.

All that said, I'm not sure how effective this character will be at diverting attacks away from others. If I wanted to make sure nobody attacked anyone besides me, I'd play a vengeance paladin with warcaster, a greatsword, and the Sentinel feat. That guarantees that foes can't run away or attack others without fear of massive retribution. And you still have lay-on-hands and your aura.

Lombra
2016-07-04, 03:46 PM
I think charisma is more important than strenght, given aura of protection and inspiring leader, and also given you are S&Boarding.

Taking 3 levels fighter (battlemaster) might not be the best thing to do, but I would like how maneuvres like commander's strike, distracting strike, maneuvering attack and rally would add to your support capabilities.

Yep, charisma should definitely be higher than strength in rating, and maneouvers do feel kind of redundant due to shield master.

I agree about CHA. You won't be attacking every round, but you should be doing something CHA-related most of the time as a support player. I'd also say get your CON to at least 16, since you can't take hits or offer support if you're dead. With all of that considered, you may not want to multiclass or take any additional feats, since otherwise your stats will suffer.

All that said, I'm not sure how effective this character will be at diverting attacks away from others. If I wanted to make sure nobody attacked anyone besides me, I'd play a vengeance paladin with warcaster, a greatsword, and the Sentinel feat. That guarantees that foes can't run away or attack others without fear of massive retribution. And you still have lay-on-hands and your aura.

I know, Vengeance is very, very good at pretty much anything paladin-related, so much that I somehow feel that I should find a way to avoid it for the support role. But in the end it looks just plain better than the other options.

Edit: yours looks like a very good tank build, but I'd like to focus this one more on support rather than tanking, also I don't like to apply the great weapon fighting style to smites.

The priority list for abilities should look like that:
CHA,CON,STR,DEX,WIS,INT

maybe swapping DEX for WIS.

D.U.P.A.
2016-07-04, 04:45 PM
Maybe you could go a ranged variant, picking some ranged cantrip based on Cha, or using reach weapon to not be in the direct range. Best fighting style is probably Protection, to increase survivability.

Lombra
2016-07-04, 05:22 PM
Maybe you could go a ranged variant, picking some ranged cantrip based on Cha, or using reach weapon to not be in the direct range. Best fighting style is probably Protection, to increase survivability.

Picking magic initiate to use eldritch blast sure would help, but I can't maximize my aura and fighting style efficiency if I'm far from my fellow frontliners :/

Casualoblivion
2016-07-04, 07:02 PM
Human: Variant, take War Caster as your feat

Stats at 1: Str 16 Dex 8 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 16

Start with 6 levels of Paladin, take Oath of the Crown from Sword Coast. It has a channel divinity group heal. At level 4 boost Strength to 18. Do 1 handed and shield, take Defense, Duelist, or Protection style as per your personal tastes.

Starting at level 7, take 14 levels of Lore Bard. With your Bard ability to take extra spells from any class at levels 6, 10 and 14 you can still get the best spells off the Paladin list. Max your Charisma at Bard levels 4 and 8. At Bard 12 either take 20 Strength or a feat, your choice. Tons and tons of support doing it this way.

djreynolds
2016-07-04, 07:28 PM
You know a few levels of Eldritch Knight gives you access to the shield spell, fighting style, and if selected 1st proficiency in con saves, and some cantrip but based on intelligence.
Sorcerer if selected later on also grants you the shield spell and some cantrips based on your charisma.
I prefer devotion, sacred weapon is based on your charisma modifier and stacks with advantage if you hapeen to have a source. And it is rechargeable on short rest.
And though I love the protection style, I might select defensive style

R.Shackleford
2016-07-04, 07:44 PM
Picking magic initiate to use eldritch blast sure would help, but I can't maximize my aura and fighting style efficiency if I'm far from my fellow frontliners :/

Then don't have front liners.

Have everyone in the party take at least Rogue 2 and the Lurker feat (Human Variant). Everyone pick up Fiend Warlock 3 (tome or chain mostly but a pact weapon would be nice as would extra attack if you wanna go 5) (refluff if fiends aren't your thing but temp HP is nice). Make sure to pick up Devil Sight or whatever it's called.

Have them grab some spellcaster levels and get spells like invisibility and darkness. Add fighter or rogue levels or however you want to build it.

So everyone is sneaking around, can always see, and you are giving them bonuses for offense and defense (use the bless spell).

Unless the battle is taking place in a featureless white room you should be great. Even if it is... An ally should have darkness :)

Biggstick
2016-07-04, 10:53 PM

You can't take War Caster at first level on a Paladin as they don't have access to casting a single spell at level 1, which is a requirement to take the War Caster feat.

Paladin 17 / Warlock 3 is a solid build to support your allies. Grab Inspiring Leader and max out Charisma and you'll even have a leftover ASI. Make sure to go Tomelock and pick up Shillelagh + Guidance + level 1-2 rituals. You'll have great short rest recovery mechanics for your spells as well as Inspiring Leader for your party.

Arkhios
2016-07-05, 02:59 AM

You don't need to be far from front line. You could start at being a 10 feet behind from front line, and 10 feet ahead of rear-holding ranged/blaster characters (at the center of roughly a 25 foot by 25 foot area). That way you aura would cover everyone, and you could focus on blasting with eldritch :P

For example like this, you could basically surround yourself with allies who would benefit from your auras. (although, your protection style might be wasted if no one stands next to you).

..E..E..
A......A
....P....
........A
..A.....

.. = empty square
E = Enemy
A = Ally (assuming a party of 4+you)
P = Paladin (you)

Lombra
2016-07-05, 03:39 AM

Stats at 1: Str 16 Dex 8 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 16

Start with 6 levels of Paladin, take Oath of the Crown from Sword Coast. It has a channel divinity group heal. At level 4 boost Strength to 18. Do 1 handed and shield, take Defense, Duelist, or Protection style as per your personal tastes.

Starting at level 7, take 14 levels of Lore Bard. With your Bard ability to take extra spells from any class at levels 6, 10 and 14 you can still get the best spells off the Paladin list. Max your Charisma at Bard levels 4 and 8. At Bard 12 either take 20 Strength or a feat, your choice. Tons and tons of support doing it this way.

The bard multiclass looks very, very good.
Very good.

Then don't have front liners.

Have everyone in the party take at least Rogue 2 and the Lurker feat (Human Variant). Everyone pick up Fiend Warlock 3 (tome or chain mostly but a pact weapon would be nice as would extra attack if you wanna go 5) (refluff if fiends aren't your thing but temp HP is nice). Make sure to pick up Devil Sight or whatever it's called.

Have them grab some spellcaster levels and get spells like invisibility and darkness. Add fighter or rogue levels or however you want to build it.

So everyone is sneaking around, can always see, and you are giving them bonuses for offense and defense (use the bless spell).

Unless the battle is taking place in a featureless white room you should be great. Even if it is... An ally should have darkness :)
What's the point in playing in a team of four to six identical characters? XD
Also planning a party is not what this thread is supposed to do, as I stated I'd like to get help creating the iconic paladin that nobody wants to play, but everyone wants to have by his side. The bass player of the band: when you listen the song you don't notice it, but if you take it off you realize that it was much better with it.

Lombra
2016-07-05, 03:43 AM
You don't need to be far from front line. You could start at being a 10 feet behind from front line, and 10 feet ahead of rear-holding ranged/blaster characters (at the center of roughly a 25 foot by 25 foot area). That way you aura would cover everyone, and you could focus on blasting with eldritch :P

For example like this, you could basically surround yourself with allies who would benefit from your auras. (although, your protection style might be wasted if no one stands next to you).

..E..E..
A......A
....P....
........A
..A.....

.. = empty square
E = Enemy
A = Ally (assuming a party of 4+you)
P = Paladin (you)

A ranged paladin sure would be cool! But you'd be better just going bow and arrow instead of ranged spells.
Although this would result in a fighter-paladin multiclassed focused on dexterity, there's nothing wrong in it and it would work great but I'm looking for a more stereotypical character :)

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 04:38 AM
The bard multiclass looks very, very good.
Very good.

What's the point in playing in a team of four to six identical characters? XD
Also planning a party is not what this thread is supposed to do, as I stated I'd like to get help creating the iconic paladin that nobody wants to play, but everyone wants to have by his side. The bass player of the band: when you listen the song you don't notice it, but if you take it off you realize that it was much better with it.

Ummm, so? This gives you an additional option instead of churning out the same old Paladin again and again.

Planning a party can give you a non-front line Paladin, which is just another option among a sea of the same front line options. You are always planning a party when you make a character as you are making assumptions on what will be around you. Maybe everyone else brings a caster or a ranged character? Wouldn't be the first time I saw a Paladin show up as the only front line character in a group of 5

Also, due to how the spell system works you could have 3 to 6 of the same exact race, class, and subclass combos (say 3 to 6 of the same bards, clerics, or some MC combo) and each could play differently. When you have internal class options and choices the big picture choices (class/subclass/feats) really dont matter as much.

You might have an argument if they were all dueling (or whatever fighting style) fighters or great weapon barbarians as the combat system is very bare bones and left up to "I attack, I move, I push, I attack" but when you introduce spellcasting you have a vast array of options to choose from your class/race/feat options don't quite matter as much.

The point of having a team that all has the same Starting point (vhuman, rogue, lurker feat) is that they work as a well oiled killing machine where no one gets left behind. When they take their spellcasting classes they can then diversify.

The non-front line Paladin can then support them without needing to be a stereotypical Paladin.

Arkhios
2016-07-05, 04:54 AM
You are always planning a party when you make a character as you are making assumptions on what will be around you

Not necessarily true. At least not always. Not everyone share their plans of what kind of character they are going to play until the group meets for the first time for their first session. I've been in such a situation twice, and it's kinda fun in its way. It creates an "organic" group: Random people meet up in certain circumstances and choose to join each other for whatever reasons. You don't get to choose your schoolmates or work colleagues either. They come as they are, you just have to adapt to what you have.

That isn't to say that people wouldn't often know each other's character plans beforehand. Just saying it's a possibility that should be taken into consideration.

Lombra
2016-07-05, 05:11 AM
Ummm, so? This gives you an additional option instead of churning out the same old Paladin again and again.

Planning a party can give you a non-front line Paladin, which is just another option among a sea of the same front line options. You are always planning a party when you make a character as you are making assumptions on what will be around you. Maybe everyone else brings a caster or a ranged character? Wouldn't be the first time I saw a Paladin show up as the only front line character in a group of 5

Also, due to how the spell system works you could have 3 to 6 of the same exact race, class, and subclass combos (say 3 to 6 of the same bards, clerics, or some MC combo) and each could play differently. When you have internal class options and choices the big picture choices (class/subclass/feats) really dont matter as much.

You might have an argument if they were all dueling (or whatever fighting style) fighters or great weapon barbarians as the combat system is very bare bones and left up to "I attack, I move, I push, I attack" but when you introduce spellcasting you have a vast array of options to choose from your class/race/feat options don't quite matter as much.

The point of having a team that all has the same Starting point (vhuman, rogue, lurker feat) is that they work as a well oiled killing machine where no one gets left behind. When they take their spellcasting classes they can then diversify.

The non-front line Paladin can then support them without needing to be a stereotypical Paladin.

I've never planned a party when I made my characters, every other player has it's own background and play style, sometimes some players make a common background so that they already know each other, but as far as what I've seen most of the times, when an adventure starts fresh nobody knows each other, and nobody knows which character are the others going to pick: it differentiates the gameplay and prevents game-breaking combos, for the most part at least.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 07:37 AM
Not necessarily true. At least not always. Not everyone share their plans of what kind of character they are going to play until the group meets for the first time for their first session. I've been in such a situation twice, and it's kinda fun in its way. It creates an "organic" group: Random people meet up in certain circumstances and choose to join each other for whatever reasons. You don't get to choose your schoolmates or work colleagues either. They come as they are, you just have to adapt to what you have.

That isn't to say that people wouldn't often know each other's character plans beforehand. Just saying it's a possibility that should be taken into consideration.

I've been in both types of games, however when your use theory crafting (from what I gather from the OP is going on) you are making up what will be around you.

You assume there will be other front liners but again, who knows.

So assuming all front liners, mixed, or all ranged characters (and building a party) is par for the course.

With a team of rogues you could still go iconic Paladin even. Keep the focus on you as your allies are hidden. Keep some sort of telepathy or tactics going so you know where your allies are.

Paladin: Bless, Move
Rogues: Attack, Move, Hide
Monsters: Target Paladins or waste actions lookkg for rogues.

Take +2 Str or Cha at level 4 (16 Str is high enough really) for the Single class Paladin (Vhuman mobile at 1) and +2 Cha at 8.

You know where your allies are and your enemies don't, for the most oart at least. Free "disengage" is awesome to get to your allies quickly in need.

You can even stand near by to give your allies the Cha bonus for anything they might be dealing with and not give away their location.

Oh, just saw the OP edit, if you want an iconic Paladin then you want an offensive first paladin and not a support first paladin. Paladins can support yes, but they have primarily always been front line smashers...

Lombra
2016-07-05, 09:23 AM
I've been in both types of games, however when your use theory crafting (from what I gather from the OP is going on) you are making up what will be around you.

You assume there will be other front liners but again, who knows.

So assuming all front liners, mixed, or all ranged characters (and building a party) is par for the course.

With a team of rogues you could still go iconic Paladin even. Keep the focus on you as your allies are hidden. Keep some sort of telepathy or tactics going so you know where your allies are.

Paladin: Bless, Move
Rogues: Attack, Move, Hide
Monsters: Target Paladins or waste actions lookkg for rogues.

Take +2 Str or Cha at level 4 (16 Str is high enough really) for the Single class Paladin (Vhuman mobile at 1) and +2 Cha at 8.

You know where your allies are and your enemies don't, for the most oart at least. Free "disengage" is awesome to get to your allies quickly in need.

You can even stand near by to give your allies the Cha bonus for anything they might be dealing with and not give away their location.

Oh, just saw the OP edit, if you want an iconic Paladin then you want an offensive first paladin and not a support first paladin. Paladins can support yes, but they have primarily always been front line smashers...

Well yeah, Vengeance smasher is indeed cool, versatile and powerful, it's my favourite oath and I'm sure that I would enjoy playing it since offense>defense in most cases.

Although what I wanted to pull out from this thread is a guy which when present softens the burden of combats for his allies and can help in the direct combat along with other tank-focus classes as them could be fighters, barbarians or even fancy multiclasses that dance in the front line.

Yes I am making the assumption that the party will have at least one melee front-liner besidea the paladin, and that's a fairly reasonable assumption in my opinion, at least more likely than a party of only blasters or of only archers or stealthers.

I just want to see if by choosing the Oath of Devotion and/or with proper multiclass we can pull out a character fearless of going in the face of the enemy, that can contribute to the front line of combat either by healing, buffing or striking hard. Maybe going Oath of Vengeance pulls all of this out already and the other Oaths are just useless, but nevertheless I think that one can plan out a build for the support role even without knowing the party composition, it just can't be too specific, but it can have general layouts that will frequently occour during the day.

Arkhios
2016-07-05, 10:20 AM
Although what I wanted to pull out from this thread is a guy which when present softens the burden of combats for his allies1 and can help in the direct combat2 along with other tank-focus classes as them could be fighters, barbarians or even fancy multiclasses that dance in the front line.

1) Oath of the Ancients 7+ (Aura of Protection for saving throw bonuses, Aura of Warding to resist damage from spells)
2) as above + Protection Style to possibly negate fatal hits on your allies.

I just want to see if by choosing the Oath of Devotion and/or with proper multiclass we can pull out a character fearless of going in the face of the enemy, that can contribute to the front line of combat either by healing, buffing or striking hard.3 Maybe going Oath of Vengeance pulls all of this out already and the other Oaths are just useless, but nevertheless I think that one can plan out a build for the support role even without knowing the party composition, it just can't be too specific, but it can have general layouts that will frequently occour during the day.

3) Oath of the Ancients could do all of this, reasonably combined with either lore bard (for only ~1 less hit points per level taken; also, e.g. a single Cutting Words can affect damage from a single spell affecting multiple targets) or any sorcerer origin (with combining weapon combat with casting spells other than just cantrips and from relatively high spell slots). Although, I admit that other oaths can do it almost equally well, Oath of the Ancients has its other helpful features (see above) to do that.

S&B Oath of the Ancients with protection style can provide great buffs to his allies, can act as a tank or alternatively can help others tank better, they can heal well (both with spells and Lay on Hands), they an mitigate possibly massive damage rolls, and they can deal great damage, albeit in a bit spiky bursts (Divine Smites reserved only for Crits etc.)

Lombra
2016-07-05, 11:03 AM
1) Oath of the Ancients 7+ (Aura of Protection for saving throw bonuses, Aura of Warding to resist damage from spells)
2) as above + Protection Style to possibly negate fatal hits on your allies.

3) Oath of the Ancients could do all of this, reasonably combined with either lore bard (for only ~1 less hit points per level taken; also, e.g. a single Cutting Words can affect damage from a single spell affecting multiple targets) or any sorcerer origin (with combining weapon combat with casting spells other than just cantrips and from relatively high spell slots). Although, I admit that other oaths can do it almost equally well, Oath of the Ancients has its other helpful features (see above) to do that.

S&B Oath of the Ancients with protection style can provide great buffs to his allies, can act as a tank or alternatively can help others tank better, they can heal well (both with spells and Lay on Hands), they an mitigate possibly massive damage rolls, and they can deal great damage, albeit in a bit spiky bursts (Divine Smites reserved only for Crits etc.)

I glanced at the Oath of the Ancients but at a first read it feels like it's a try-hard druid, his channel divinity doesn't look like as good as the others from other Oaths, his level 7 ability though is very strong, and I also like Moonbeam a lot, I just don't know if it's worth compared to the other Oaths.

Lombra
2016-07-05, 11:12 AM
Since the character is going to have concentration spells active very often would you suggest resilient (CON) or war caster? Somatic components don't seem to come up very frequently in the paladin spell list, at least not in the spells that should be used in battle.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 11:41 AM
Well yeah, Vengeance smasher is indeed cool, versatile and powerful, it's my favourite oath and I'm sure that I would enjoy playing it since offense>defense in most cases.

Although what I wanted to pull out from this thread is a guy which when present softens the burden of combats for his allies and can help in the direct combat along with other tank-focus classes as them could be fighters, barbarians or even fancy multiclasses that dance in the front line.

Yes I am making the assumption that the party will have at least one melee front-liner besidea the paladin, and that's a fairly reasonable assumption in my opinion, at least more likely than a party of only blasters or of only archers or stealthers.

I just want to see if by choosing the Oath of Devotion and/or with proper multiclass we can pull out a character fearless of going in the face of the enemy, that can contribute to the front line of combat either by healing, buffing or striking hard. Maybe going Oath of Vengeance pulls all of this out already and the other Oaths are just useless, but nevertheless I think that one can plan out a build for the support role even without knowing the party composition, it just can't be too specific, but it can have general layouts that will frequently occour during the day.

If you are assuming one melee front liner then you would be more helpful to the party overall if you was a mobile linebacker who could go up front when needed. With heavy armor and a more mobile approach you can expand your area of helpfulness for the party.

I think a heavy armored Vuman w/mobile at level 1 and then a basic Paladin of Ancients or Devotion is the way to go. It isn't going to exactly "iconic" though the only iconic paladin would be the face smasher who has a sexy smile.

eastmabl
2016-07-05, 12:11 PM

Here's one thought with eldritch blast - it can be good for crowd control. Even while in melee, you could be useful.

Before you charge into melee and stick to the big bad thing, you could let loose an eldritch blast (or 2-3-4) to soften up some of the backliners. Unlike using a bow, you don't have to drop your weapon. Unlike most other cantrips, you can hit multiple targets.

Once you're in melee, you can still engage in crowd control. The only penalty for using a ranged attack while in melee is that you attack with disadvantage. If you've got a decent-to-good Charisma, your attack bonus is going to be sufficient to hit a lot of monsters/beasts at least 60-65% of the time. With disadvantage, it drops down to 35-40%, but it still allows you to control mooks while keeping the big monster in melee.

Specter
2016-07-05, 12:30 PM
Some support options based on how to use them:

Out-of-combat: Inspiring Leader, Lay on Hands
As an action: Bless, Help, Protection from Evil and Good, Lay on Hands
As a bonus: Shield of Faith, Bardic Inspiration (if multiclassing)
As a reaction: Cutting Words (if multiclassing), Protection Fighting Style

Arkhios
2016-07-05, 12:38 PM
If you can afford it, take both: Resilient Constitution and War Caster. I also made this List of Paladin spells eligible for War Caster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487798-List-of-Paladin-spells-eligible-for-War-Caster) some time ago.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 12:42 PM
Here's one thought with eldritch blast - it can be good for crowd control. Even while in melee, you could be useful.

Before you charge into melee and stick to the big bad thing, you could let loose an eldritch blast (or 2-3-4) to soften up some of the backliners. Unlike using a bow, you don't have to drop your weapon. Unlike most other cantrips, you can hit multiple targets.

Once you're in melee, you can still engage in crowd control. The only penalty for using a ranged attack while in melee is that you attack with disadvantage. If you've got a decent-to-good Charisma, your attack bonus is going to be sufficient to hit a lot of monsters/beasts at least 60-65% of the time. With disadvantage, it drops down to 35-40%, but it still allows you to control mooks while keeping the big monster in melee.

Really, without warlock levels, Eldritch Blast isn't all that great. Yes force damage and multi targeted but the damage is still 5.5 on average until level 5 and then 11 until level 7 (or level 11? I forget). Definately not worth a feat as it gives you no bonus rider effect. The Paladin can just throw something for damage.

If I was picking up magic initiate I would go for rider effects. Vicious Mockery, Frosbite, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp... These do decent damage and have a nice rider effect.

Falcon X
2016-07-05, 12:43 PM
What I made was a Rogue1/Paladin of the Crown X.

Oath of the Crown is one of the best support choices because:
- Warding Bond: Turns your character into a Damage Redirection character.
- Sweet auras
- Champion Challenge and Compelled Duel mean that you take the agro or can isolate fights. Very nice.

I also picked:
- Expertise in Athletics for Grappling
- Shield Master feat for better protecting myself, but also better grappling (cheap tripping).
- Protection style (Giving disadvantage to enemies)

HeyBJ
2016-07-05, 01:08 PM
I also picked:
- Expertise in Athletics for Grappling
- Shield Master feat for better protecting myself, but also better grappling (cheap tripping).
- Protection style (Giving disadvantage to enemies)

Can you grapple while using a shield and sword? Or would you be dropping one to free up a hand to grapple?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 02:23 PM
Can you grapple while using a shield and sword? Or would you be dropping one to free up a hand to grapple?

Nope, however dropping the sword would be a free action I believe.

Besides, you don't want to grapple if you have Shield Master and Expertise (Athletics), knocking a creature prone halves their movement if they stand up and causes problems if they don't stand up.

If you are with some ranged party members then you want to grapple but generally even then it is better to knock the creature to the ground, advantage smite their butt, and then let your allies deal with someone else.

D.U.P.A.
2016-07-05, 03:17 PM
Magic stone looks better than eldritch blast due to extra attack feature, although it falls slightly behind before level 11 if going for ranged support option.

Resilient Constitution is almost mandatory as at level 6 you basically don't have to throw concentration checks unless you take 22 damage in one hit.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 03:25 PM
Magic stone looks better than eldritch blast due to extra attack feature, although it falls slightly behind before level 11 if going for ranged support option.

Resilient Constitution is almost mandatory as at level 6 you basically don't have to throw concentration checks unless you take 22 damage in one hit.

Well it isn't a Con check it is a Constitution Saving throw and the Paladin gets to add their Cha to that... Resilient isn't AS needed on a Paladin due but it wouldn't hurt.

Lombra
2016-07-05, 04:02 PM
Well it isn't a Con check it is a Constitution Saving throw and the Paladin gets to add their Cha to that... Resilient isn't AS needed on a Paladin due but it wouldn't hurt.

Whoa paladins add CHA to consitution saving throws? How?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 04:04 PM
Whoa paladins add CHA to consitution saving throws? How?

With one of the most iconic features the Paladin has ever had?

SRD
"Aura of Protection

Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creature gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet."

Edit

This included the paladin's Charisma save but I think an errata stops multiple paladins from piling on +Cha. At first they allowed it but then they took it back, I think.

Lombra
2016-07-05, 04:16 PM
With one of the most iconic features the Paladin has ever had?

SRD
"Aura of Protection

Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creature gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet."

Edit

This included the paladin's Charisma save but I think an errata stops multiple paladins from piling on +Cha. At first they allowed it but then they took it back, I think.

Welp, oddly I never figured out that it would work on concentration saves too, that's brilliant!

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 04:19 PM
Welp, oddly I never figured out that it would work on concentration saves too, that's brilliant!

Well it is a Constitution Save to keep concentration going. It also works for any other saving throw, including death saving throws, if you are in range.

Ze_Azrael
2016-07-06, 01:08 AM
What I made was a Rogue1/Paladin of the Crown X.

This is probably the best. Crown is the most support-oriented oath.
AoE heal, zone control, take damage for someone else, some good spells...
If you take it to paladin X/rogue 3 you can take the mastermind archetype to Help as a bonus action.
A great combo you could do is:
Turn 1 cast spirit guardians (and Help or prone someone if Shield Master)
Turn 2 go into the middle of enemies, grapple and prone someone with athletics expertise, use champions challenge CD, cast Sanctuary on yourself.
Now enemies have trouble attacking you, they take steady damage and are slowed, can't leave your AoE, and you can continue to Help twice per turn, taking damage for your allies if they get hit. All this of course in addition to the regular paladin goodness like your amazing auras.

Prioritize CHA then CON and maintain a decent STR for heavy armor, take inspiring leader. You won't be hitting as hard as a vengeance pally but are support beast in combat, while still holding your own damage wise due to sneak attack and spirit guardians, and Mastermind rogue lets you contribute a lot out of combat too.

Lombra
2016-07-06, 02:53 AM
This is probably the best. Crown is the most support-oriented oath.
AoE heal, zone control, take damage for someone else, some good spells...
If you take it to paladin X/rogue 3 you can take the mastermind archetype to Help as a bonus action.
A great combo you could do is:
Turn 1 cast spirit guardians (and Help or prone someone if Shield Master)
Turn 2 go into the middle of enemies, grapple and prone someone with athletics expertise, use champions challenge CD, cast Sanctuary on yourself.
Now enemies have trouble attacking you, they take steady damage and are slowed, can't leave your AoE, and you can continue to Help twice per turn, taking damage for your allies if they get hit. All this of course in addition to the regular paladin goodness like your amazing auras.

Prioritize CHA then CON and maintain a decent STR for heavy armor, take inspiring leader. You won't be hitting as hard as a vengeance pally but are support beast in combat, while still holding your own damage wise due to sneak attack and spirit guardians, and Mastermind rogue lets you contribute a lot out of combat too.

Oath of the crown just feels bad, the channel divinity group heal is pretty weak compared to what you could do with spells, and to the other channel divinities. But going mastermind 3 for the tether help looks very promising, also expertise is always good.

djreynolds
2016-07-06, 03:52 AM
Paladin's are one of the easiest classes to play and build. All you must do it prioritize resources and not waste them.

They easily multiclass with bard, sorcerer, warlock, fighter, and barbarian.

They can smite whenever they it, if they choose. They get plenty of healing spells.

They lack a ranged presence but sorcerer and warlock easily give them this, but with S&B you will need to either remember to stow your weapon or get war caster.

A dip of rogue is very expensive, especially when bard is right there.

Honestly a paladin doesn't even need feats.

Now they key is to save spell slots for when you need them and not waste spells. So concentration is important because you will get hit and having to recast bless or shield of faith sucks, as its one less spell now to use. You are a half caster.

IMO, sorcerer is your best dip because of the shield spell, like smiting you use it when you need to. And you can twin cure wounds if you take metamagic, so cleric isn't totally necessary.

Now the tough thing is the bless spell and when to cast it, sometimes a sixth sense helps here, if you think trouble is brewing cast it.

I like devotion because +5 to hit is awesome, but I think this archetype works better with shield of faith and GWM, and the damage output can really save on spells.

I think OoV works better with S&B and using hunter's mark to increase damage as you only need to hit.

See this is how you save your smites for when you truly need them or you have crit, and then you smite.

I prefer half-elf really only because of the extra skills you can cover down on stuff others have not and dark vision.