PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A Witch Hombrew Class/Archetype/Prestige?

Auramis
2016-07-04, 07:55 PM
Hello, everyone! I've been looking around for a homebrew Witch class, whether it's an archetype of wizard, warlock, or sorcerer or its own class or prestige class. What I have in mind for the Witch is similar to the Pathfinder Witch, where it had a somewhat nature oriented leaning to it. I've found a few witches here and there, but most of them seemed concerned with making potions or communing with the dead as their primary features rather than facets of what the witch is.

So, can anyone help me out?

Wryte
2016-07-04, 08:38 PM
I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder class, but a cursory glace here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch) looks like a warlock with an Archfey patron and Pact of the Chain feature. Is there anything particularly deal-breaking that's missing there from the Pathfinder witch?

zeek0
2016-07-05, 03:16 AM
This could go a bunch of different ways...

- make a witch background. This seems to best fit, as a witch is a profession more than a discipline. You can combine this with other options.
- find/make a plant based subclass (see the homebrew compendium on this site)
- play a druid, and focus on plant spells

Ninja_Prawn
2016-07-05, 05:17 AM
I made one as an arcane tradition in my fey supplement (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3crmpfdbc5u5x5/Fey%20Creatures%20Complete.pdf?dl=0) - see page 46. I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for (it's mostly based on the Legendary Witch and Witch Queen classes from 4e), but I couldn't resist the opportunity for self-promotion! ^_^

Auramis
2016-07-05, 09:43 AM
Thank you to all of you for your replies thus far! I appreciate the help. :)

Is there anything particularly deal-breaking that's missing there from the Pathfinder witch?

I'll have to check with my friend, but that was going to be my initial suggestion to them. I think, thematically, it fits, but it's the swearing oneself to a fey (or anything else, really) that makes them apprehensive. We could flavor it so it's not necessarily roleplayed like that, though, so I'll ask about that again! Thank you for looking at it.

This could go a bunch of different ways...

- make a witch background. This seems to best fit, as a witch is a profession more than a discipline. You can combine this with other options.
- find/make a plant based subclass (see the homebrew compendium on this site)
- play a druid, and focus on plant spells

I think the hermit background mostly fits into that motif. Maybe a feature change and a look over the skills, and it's not that far off, but it's not really what I have in mind. Making a nature based homebrew archetype for sorcerer or wizard may work out, though. I'll give the compendium a look!

I made one as an arcane tradition in my fey supplement (https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3crmpfdbc5u5x5/Fey%20Creatures%20Complete.pdf?dl=0) - see page 46. I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for (it's mostly based on the Legendary Witch and Witch Queen classes from 4e), but I couldn't resist the opportunity for self-promotion! ^_^

Thank you for sharing! I'll show this to my friend and see what they think about it.