PDA

View Full Version : large number of turn attempts for divine metamagicc

animewatcha
2016-07-04, 08:44 PM
Tome of battle is a no. LA buy-off is a no. No evil. No exalted.
Practically any 3.5e source ( minus the SRD ) and dragon magazine 330+. Dragon compendium as well.
I might be able to do an LA 1 Race/template if good enough and DM is okay with it. Was wanting to grab as many turn attempts as possible while maintaining spell level as high as possible. Character is gonna be bard 1-2 / cleric x/ prestige classe(s) x. I need things that grant turn/rebuke undead specificly while maintain best cleric casting possible ( I can sacrafice a caster level for say death delver ). Divine metamagic persist buffing while I can make use of healing hymn to help with healing. To accomplish this, I know of divine inspiration feat ( cleric and bard level stack for bardic music ), and melodic casting. Extend and persist spell is a must. I know of Sacred exorcist. What about others? Persisting cleric buffs.

Anything else that can help with this besides +cha, relinquary holy symbol, and night sticks, and extra turning feat.

Multiclass xp penalty is a yes.\

I know there are lists out there, but what i googled either was outdated ( for it's date ) or the old WOTC board.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-05, 01:15 AM
Common wisdom is to pick one of the cleric ACFs that replace turning but still count as it for feats, like Rebuke Dragons or the incarnum one.
Then get turning from Sacred Exorcist and rebuking from Death Delver/Dread Necro for 3 turning pools and 12 extra turns per Extra Turning feat.

Frankly though you're better off not losing caster progression and living with only 2 turning pools from cleric + sacred exorcist. DMM is good, but higher spell levels are generally better.
The same applies to your bard dip btw, healing isn't that important. If you really want to heal (and waste your slots on it) go Radiant Servant of Pelor instead so you don't lose CL.
If you're LG you can take a dip into Prestige Paladin and take Serenity (DComp) to switch TU over to wisdom. That should get you a lot of uses. It also gives you wis to saves, access to paladin spells and some minor other stuff.

barakaka
2016-07-14, 09:38 PM
You probably already know this, but a really simple way to get turning attempts is through domains. If you're just going to burn them on divine metamagic, then pick up the air and earth domains. Hop into other PrCs that grant other domains which have separate turning pools.

Not many characters really fit the flavor of multiple different elemental domains, but it's worth mentioning for the sheer ease of it.

J-H
2016-07-14, 09:48 PM
Reliquary Holy Symbol, MIC 120, 1000gp. +2 turn undead per day.
Undeath Domain, SpC. +3 turn undead per day
Master of Shrouds (loses caster levels): +3 turn undead per day at level 1.

ayvango
2016-07-14, 09:57 PM
Hop into other PrCs that grant other domains which have separate turning pools.

Actually you could get PrCs that grant any domain and use the Substitute Domain spell.

Gildedragon
2016-07-14, 10:18 PM
if you can get your DM to accept the Green Lady vestige: Binder 1 (practiced binder feat) will get you a new turn undead pool; add the accolyte of the green lady for a few levels to advance cleric and binder to the point you can now bind tenebrous too: voila even more TU attempts
though if you can get a divine Anima Mage that'd be even better...

Douglas
2016-07-15, 01:50 AM
You probably already know this, but a really simple way to get turning attempts is through domains. If you're just going to burn them on divine metamagic, then pick up the air and earth domains. Hop into other PrCs that grant other domains which have separate turning pools.

Not many characters really fit the flavor of multiple different elemental domains, but it's worth mentioning for the sheer ease of it.
Those don't count for Divine feats such as Divine Metamagic, because those feats specifically only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-15, 02:53 AM
Those don't count for Divine feats such as Divine Metamagic, because those feats specifically only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead.

They don't count for DMM, that's true. But some feats are worded in a way that allows any turning/rebuke attempt to fuel them.
Divine Spell Power is one such example, and it's a pretty good one if you can spare a feat for it and get a non-undead pool somewhere (or just use your spare TU uses that aren't multiples of 7).

It will benefit from any Extra Turning or similar stuff you pick up for a nice boost to your CL, and if your (level + cha) is 7 or more you can't get a negative modifier any more.
At mid-levels you should get a +2 pretty much automatically, and a guaranteed +4 isn't that hard to get with some items (that you'd want anyway).

There are a few more like that (Glorious Weapons, Sacred Boost, Sacred Healing, Dragonfire Channeling), but Divine Spell Power is probably the best of them. There are also a few that only work with elemental turning in RoS and Dragon Magic.

Lastly there is the (not entirely unreasonable) interpretation that the phrasing of non-undead turning domains "Turn or destroy X creatures as a good cleric turns undead" means that the turning attempts count as TU for purposes of divine feats and other things that affect or require turning.
Most DMs just don't go with this one specifically to curb DMM abuse, because otherwise it's not only no problem, it's also pretty much required for non-undead turning/rebuking to benefit from the various turning gear & feats that makes using these options for their intended purpose (turning/rebuking) a viable option.