PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Curse of Strahd IC

Pages : [1] 2

Vesth
2016-07-04, 09:22 PM
To some, the path to Barovia is unbelievably dull and boring. To others, it is a tense experience, with the oppressive mist suggesting dangers just out of sight. The road is long and straight, with nothing but giant trees, mist and each other to accompany you on this five hour journey.

That, and your thoughts.

You remember the letter that was given to you by the strange, well-dressed gypsy. The paper was well-made and of high quality, and was written in a cursive, elegant script.

Hail to thee of might and valor!

I, a lowly servant of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead
for thy so desperately needed assistance.

The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an
evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect
her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her
saved from this menace.

There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be
had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate
plea.

Come quickly for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be
thine!

Kolyan Indrirovich,
Burgomaster

Finally, you see the indistinct shadows ahead of you solidify to form high stone buttresses looming gray in the fog, jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the rood. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework, with dew clinging with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two headless statues of armored guardians flank the gate, their heads now lying among the weeds at their feet. They only greet you with silence.

As if on some cue, the gates swing open, the hinges screeching in protest.

Barovia awaits.

Belac93
2016-07-04, 11:04 PM
"Whyr we here again?" asks the haggard old lady seemingly staring at nothing, "Who was that fansly dressed young feller wit the note? An what did et say?" She picks up the black cat at her feet, "Wassya think Ginger? Are the young'uns goin' crazy, or is et me?" She cackles as the cat makes a noise showing exactly how it feels on that regard, looking extremely displeased with it's current situation.

The old lady gathers up the tattered rag she calls a dress, "No sense waitin' around inna cold place, shoulwe go en?" She gestures in the wrong direction.

eleazzaar
2016-07-04, 11:42 PM
Hyram Scheppen-Ningel holds his head between his hands as he trudges along. How did he get here?

An unexpected meeting with those allies from that brief, mad stage of his life when he thought adventure was something desirable. He'd gotten all the adventure he wanted and more, and quickly returned to his respectable life of quality craftsmanship. Though it was nice to see them after so long, and remember and laugh.

But as the evening progressed, his memories of it grew increasingly vauge. He hadn't had more than a few mugs, had he? The note in his hand seemed slightly familiar. As best he could remember cried out something like "To Adventure!", and everyone took that as agreement to do something or other-- and they all cheered, and he might have passed out.

But here he was with his backpack full, and weapons at his side, and all he could think of was finding some way of weaseling out of this without breaking his word.

He looks sidelong at the aged human talking to herself. He has no idea where she came from.

Lank
2016-07-05, 02:13 AM
Anvorwulf raises an eyebrow at the eccentric old lady. He turns his head his gnome companion. "Big scary gates and the certain doom that follows? Sure I'm game. I just hope we don't get duped out of this reward".

Anvorwulf walks forward and through the gates.

The_Admiral
2016-07-05, 06:27 AM
"Even if we are, I see no reason not to assist a man in saving the love of his life." Erik replied, even as he spoke, he placed a hand on the warhammer at his side as he followed Anvorwulf past the gate.

As far as he was concerned this was another thrown together mercenary group to complete one task or another. He never stuck to one for long.

Zergrinch
2016-07-05, 09:04 AM
This was quite an interesting crew, Zuu muses to himself. He knows Gramps, of course, the old stick-in-the-mud tinker gnome with a penchant for locks. In truth, he feels somewhat guilty for ripping him out of his normal life into yet another adventure. But, it's a given that Hyram's coolheadedness would prove most useful in this undertaking, and in any case, he chose to come along on his own volition. An extremely brew addled volition to be sure, but he's still here, isn't he?

Anvorwulf, a chaotic sorcerer whose sobriquet Captain Featherbeard continues to stick to his mind, long after the actual incident when casting a spell made him sprout such oddly interesting facial hair. He didn't need much persuading, as it seems. The barbarian seems to have a soft spot for matters of the heart; one can only wonder what became of him and his fiancee, Tulip the face taker. Perhaps, one day he might even tell Zuu the full story.

The rest, of course, are complete unknowns as far as Zuu is involved: he wasn't the only one sent that letter. The grandma wizard is certainly interesting personage, accent notwithstanding. With a snicker to himself, the half elf warlock muses that she would probably drive the old gnome mad long before Barovia got to him.

Barovia. Long have whispers of shadowy deeds filtered from the place. The former criminal supposes that such whispers are superstitious nonsense, probably spread by other ne'er-do-wells to protect their base of operations. However, there is often truth in rumor.

In any case, this was a good enough destination for Zuu's visit. It wasn't really the plea from the letter, the so-called call to adventure that's brought him here. It was the fact that the place practically calls out to Zuu now, begging to be freed from the darkness that suffuses the locality like an invisible shroud.

Zuu strolls over the threshold. "Well, here we are. This is the last chance to leave if you're scared or suddenly just come to your senses," he says with a chuckle.

Vesth
2016-07-05, 10:21 AM
As the group of adventurers pass into Barovia, the gates swung shut behind them, as if closed by some invisible force.

The path turns south, flanked by towering trees, whose tops are lost in heavy gray mist, blocking out all but a death-gray light. The tree trunks are unnaturally close to one another, and the woods have the silence of a forgotten grave, yet exude the feeling on an unvoiced scream.

For Zuu and Moranog
You catch the scent of death in the air, somewhere west of your location.

The_Admiral
2016-07-05, 10:35 AM
"How high up do you think we are?" Erik idly asks, as he attempts to work it out himself. He has only seen mist this persistent once, when he went up the Mountain to rescue the sacrifices.

[roll0]

Lank
2016-07-05, 10:56 AM
"This place gives me the creeps. What cruel god would decide to create such a place. I suggest we do not linger here, pick up the pace".

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 11:00 AM
Zuu strolls over the threshold. "Well, here we are. This is the last chance to leave if you're scared or suddenly just come to your senses," he says with a chuckle.

Hyram stiffens then walks through the gate.

"I really don't know what we expect to do there. I'm not a healer. Are any of you healers? (certainly none of you look it) How are we supposed to cure anyone of an unspecified affliction?"

Hyram goes back to holding his head as he trudges on.

Zergrinch
2016-07-05, 11:08 AM
"Well Gramps, I tried to get Tom, but he wasn't available," Zuu replied with a shrug.

"Hold, do you smell that? Smells like something died, ahead to the left."

Vesth
2016-07-05, 11:17 AM
"How high up do you think we are?" Erik idly asks, as he attempts to work it out himself. He has only seen mist this persistent once, when he went up the Mountain to rescue the sacrifices.

[roll0]

For Erik
This mist seems very different from those at the mountain. The mist here feels oppressive, as if actively blocking out as much light as possible. Now that you think about it, you can't come up with any reason why there would be mist here. It hasn't rained recently, you doubt that there are volcanoes nearby, you don't remember seeing any large body of water and the path here was relatively level.

How strange.

Belac93
2016-07-05, 11:18 AM
"I really don't know what we expect to do there. I'm not a healer. Are any of you healers? (certainly none of you look it) How are we supposed to cure anyone of an unspecified affliction?"

"Why would we get hurt?" Bags asks, "This seems like such a nice place, much better than my ol' home. I think I would like ta live here la're." She continues strolling down the path.

"Greenwhatever! Why would anyo us be scared? This's a good place ta be."

As they walk, the old woman starts humming and waving her hands around, and after about 10 minutes, she stops. She then carefully takes off her backpack, and pulls a dead mouse out of her shirt. These things done, she places the items in thin air, and keeps walking. The things stay still for a moment, and then continue following the group.

Casting Tenser's Floating Disk as a ritual.

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 11:48 AM
At about the same time that Zuu mentions smelling that something died, the towering, half-dressed half-orc stops walking. He has been traveling in the rear and has yet to speak, so it may take a moment to notice that he isn't walking with you anymore. When you do notice, he is already shrugging a plain roundshield off his shoulder. He catches the edge of the shield with his right hand to slide his left under the shoulder-strap and around the grip. Then he takes the strap in his right hand and, with a twist, a pull, and a loop, shortens and ties off the strap so that it holds the shield securely against his arm.

He then draws his sword. All this time, his attention focuses on something to the west--in the trees. He turns his gaze briefly to the party, then blinks lazily and turns back to the west. He takes a step toward the edge of the woods.

Vesth
2016-07-05, 12:21 PM
Following Zuu's direction, those scanning the area on the left would find a corpse half-buried in the underbrush, a couple of feet from your position.

From what you can tell, one of the hands is sticking out of the bush, tightly clutching some sort of crumpled letter or paper.

The_Admiral
2016-07-05, 12:27 PM
"Ready your weapons, this mist, it's unnatural." Erik whispers the the party. As the corpses are revealed, the growing mild paranoia transformed into combat readiness.

"I would bet a gold piece that the corspe is holding a very similar letter to ours......." he adds as prepares for combat strapping his shield to his arm and placing a hand on his hammer, ready to draw it.

Belac93
2016-07-05, 12:55 PM
Bags walks over, and picks the note out of the corpses hand. She then passes it on. "I can't read."

Zergrinch
2016-07-05, 01:05 PM
Zuu is extremely skeptical with the wizard's claim. An illiterate wizard, how can that be possible? Don't wizards rely on their written spell books? Aren't their magical knowledge a result of years of serious study?

The half elf uncovers more of the corpse. Whispering a cantrip to provide him with Light, the warlock studies the corpse carefully. What was its race, gender, and age? Based on their provisions and accessories, could they fight? What was the cause of death? Combat wounds? Animal bite marks? Or...?

Cast Light on a convenient blade of grass or pebble. Investigation: [roll0]

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 01:06 PM
Seeing the with alarm the barbarian prepare for battle, Hyram looks quickly in all directions, then quickly pronounces a spell with practiced ease. A shimmering barrier appears just above the surface of his skin and clothes.

(mage armor: AC 16 for next 8 hours)

He then readies his bow, nocks an arrow, and looks around.

Belac93
2016-07-05, 01:14 PM
Seeing Hyram cast his spell seems to remind Bags of something, and she mutters a few words. Her rags seem to toughen, becoming better protection.

Also casting mage armour to boost AC up to 16 for 8 hours.

Zergrinch
2016-07-05, 01:17 PM
The others prepare themselves for combat. But Zuu, poor poor Zuu, so intent he is on investigating the decedent, he completely ignores everything!

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 01:25 PM
After a few dozen heartbeats, if no danger appears, Hyram will move over to the corpse and look things over attempting to discover what happened.

(I don't remember how to roll on these forums)

The_Admiral
2016-07-05, 01:52 PM
Keeping am eye out, he accepts the paper, giving it a quick glance and attempting to read it.

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 02:17 PM
Moranog's sword returns to its scabbard once the corpse has been found and, although he doesn't unready his shield, the half-orc does relax. His gaze darts to each of the mages as they cast their spells in turn, but he only watches each for a moment before turning his attention to something he seems to find far more interesting, a corpse. He joins Zuu at the body. Crouching near the half-elf, Moranog pulls the brush aside and holds it away with his shield arm. With his free hand, he begins rifling through the corpse with practiced ease.

Helping Zuu with his investigation.
[roll0]

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 02:21 PM
Holding his nose, Hyram studies the body, it's posture, the wounds, any marks in the ground with an intelligent eye over his half-moon glasses.

[roll0]

Lank
2016-07-05, 06:50 PM
"Bunch of nervous Nellies you all are. Whoever offed this one at least had the decency to bury them, give us a read of the note and we will move on. And please try to relax. If there is a murderer in these woods then I doubt they will give us much trouble when they see our walking tower of meat half-orc".

Vesth
2016-07-05, 07:47 PM
The body was that of a young man, whose muddy clothes are torn and raked with claw marks. Crows have been at the body, which is surrounded by the paw prints. The man has obviously been dead for several days.

The Letter
This letter is written on worn and flimsy parchment, and has a large “B” set into its wax seal.

It reads:

Hail thee of might and valor:

I, the Burgomeister of Barovia, send you honor - with despair.

My adopted daughter, the fair Ireena Kolyana, has been these past nights bitten by a vampyr. For over four hundred years, this creature has drained the life blood of my people. Now my dear Ireena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. He has become too powerful to conquer.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the devil may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours.

There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all departed for a better life.

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomeister

Edit:

For Morangog
Rifling through the corpse reveals no gold. This man hasn't a penny on him. However, you manage to find another piece of crumpled paper - a map of he surrounding area. (Not home yet, map updated later.)

Belac93
2016-07-05, 07:54 PM
"C'n we go now?" Bags asks, "I don' like et here. S' no good." She turns around and hopefully looks back.

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 08:11 PM
Satisfied, or disappointed, that the corpse holds nothing else of value, the half-orc turns away from it and lets the brush cover it once again. In doing so, he does not bother to wait for everyone else to be done investigating the corpse; he is done holding the brush back whether you're ready or not. Then Moranog reaches down to the dark soil nearby with one hand. Paw prints catch his eye, and he pauses to look around at the ground surrounding the corpse. Of course, some of the ground has been well disturbed by himself, Zuu, and Hyram, but there is enough evidence left for him.

But he says nothing. Instead, he goes back to reaching for the dirt and takes a small handful. For a couple of seconds, he rubs the dirt in the palm of his hand. Then he drops it back to the ground and wipes his hand off on some handy foliage. All the time, he is silent.

And then he stands, turns back to the road, and begins following it again. He still has not bothered to unready his shield or say a word to anyone.

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 08:39 PM
Hyram crowds close to the stranger in armor, standing on his toes to read the message.

He sputters a few moments, narrows his brows, then speaks.

"Another message from Kolyan Indirovich? Similar but with a totally different point?! This is no coincidence. This is the true message-- we recieved a fake. Someone killed the messanger to keep this news from getting out. If the Burgomeister believes there is no hope-- it must be dire indeed."

Hyram points to the message and raises his voice.

"It is clearly our duty to see that this message reaches the outside world. The greatest temples of Good must be warned, and clerics and paladins assembled to face this threat, or seal it in if it is indeed as dire as the Burgomeister believes."

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 08:49 PM
The half-orc hesitates, takes another step, and then stops in his tracks. Only Bags is close enough to where he stopped, further down the road, to notice him let out a quiet sigh, but eventually he turns around and looks at Hyram. He stares at Hyram. It is clear he is mulling something over. His brow is furrowed, and his orange eyes waver in and out of their focus on the gnome. His mouth is set, lips pursed and only the tips of two small yellow tusks poking out.

Belac93
2016-07-05, 08:49 PM
"It is clearly our duty to see that this message reaches the outside world. The greatest temples of Good must be warned, and clerics and paladins assembled to face this threat, or seal it in if it is indeed as dire as the Burgomeister believes."

"Bu' the message said we can't reach the outside. Did ya ferget that? We should try'n do what this fella couldn't."

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 09:00 PM
"Bu' the message said we can't reach the outside. Did ya ferget that? We should try'n do what this fella couldn't."

"What?" Ask Hyram, confused. "No--- It doesn't say anything like that. And besides, I thought you couldn't read?" Then he splutters and shakes his head.

"And even if the note says we can't-- we should certainly try."

Waving his hand, Hyram absently snatches up the note with a ghostly hand, and then rereads the body of the missive to everyone.

"My adopted daughter, the fair Ireena Kolyana, has been these past nights bitten by a vampyr. For over four hundred years, this creature has drained the life blood of my people. Now my dear Ireena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. He has become too powerful to conquer.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the devil may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours."

Belac93
2016-07-05, 09:10 PM
"What?" Ask Hyram, confused. "No--- It doesn't say anything like that. And besides, I thought you couldn't read?" Then he splutters and shakes his head.

"And even if the note says we can't-- we should certainly try."

Waving his hand, Hyram absently snatches up the note with a ghostly hand, and then rereads the body of the missive to everyone.

"When did I say I can't read? Yer goin' crazy little man." She says, squinting at the note. She then shakes her head, "Become to powerful to conquer? Poppycock! We manage this, an' we'll be famous!" She gestures back to the road, "This's been a 5 hour trip. I'm too old ta be walkin' back now! I'm findin' shelter, an' all ye youngsters would do well te come with me!" she turns around, almost walks into a tree, turns around again, and says, kindly this time, "Thanks fer readin' the note little man. I couldn't manage et meself. Like I said," she smiles smugly, "I can't read. Can we go now? Please? These ol bones are tired."

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 09:11 PM
Moranog's attention abruptly shifts to the forest around them. His brow remains furrowed, but his head tilts to one side and his gaze turns to the mist-covered woods.

First, let's see what Moranog already knows. I'm betting nothing, but I might be wrong...
[roll0]What, if anything, does Moranog know about Vampyres? Are they said to be able to control wild animals?
[roll1] Can Moranog identify the creatures that left behind the paw prints?

And now, what he's actually doing right now.
[roll2]

The_Admiral
2016-07-05, 09:17 PM
"we're getting out of here, its a trap" he says, dropping the paper. He says, as he gestures to the parto to follow him, turning around.

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 09:17 PM
I'm also interested in finding out what Hyram knows of Barovia.

[roll0] (add +2 if Arcana is the relevant skill)

EDIT: Heh. Hyram can barely spell Barovia.

Vesth
2016-07-05, 09:24 PM
A lone wolf howl echoes in the distance, vaguely coming from the direction you came from. The howl was followed by another. And another. And another.

For Moranog
You've heard rumors that vampires were able to control creatures. What kind of creatures, you aren't so sure. Bats, probably.

The howl sounds dangerous. From what you can hear, the wolf is calling to its pack...and from the sound of it, this pack is big.

Belac93
2016-07-05, 09:32 PM
"And we go now." Bags says, dropping her cat and picking up the pace. Ginger, frightened of the noise, speeds ahead.

Going at a fast pace along the road, cat is scouting ahead with orders to come back if there is anything that seems dangerous.

Zergrinch
2016-07-05, 09:47 PM
Zuu lets out a squeak, and as a reflex, thrusts out his hand at the direction of the howl. A moment later, a raging bonfire appears 20 feet from him, and the light he conjures snaps right out.

Townopolis
2016-07-05, 09:49 PM
The half-orc first begins walking back towards the group, heading back the way they came and the way Erik wants to go. As more and more wolves howl that way, however, he slows until he has stopped again. He scowls. One by one, he surveys the group, ignoring Bags' departure for now. His eyes first settle on Erik, and it is clear the half-orc is sizing the dragonborn up. Then he sizes up Hyram, then Wulf, and then Zuu. Slowly, the cogs turn in his head.

"You may not enjoy so many wolves" he says in a gravely baritone, and he turns to follow Bags.

eleazzaar
2016-07-05, 10:32 PM
Bottles looks around into the woods.

"Better stay together until we can get past those wolves. Breaking up into little groups never went well in Phandelver."

Lank
2016-07-06, 01:17 AM
"Lets stick together and try to meet up with this Burgomaster and then decide if he is playing up for fools".

The howling starts and Anvorwulf clutches his staff tightly.

"I think that is our cue to start getting a move on. Follow that old lady!".
Anvorwulf begins to follow Bags but stops.
"Actually on second thoughts, follow someone a little bit more sane".
Anvorwulf takes off. "Screw it, just go that way!" he says as he points down the path.

Zergrinch
2016-07-06, 01:40 AM
Before rushing off to follow Anvorwulf, Zuu creates an illusory sound of himself screaming like a little girl and running off in the opposite direction of where he is actually going. Illusory sounds won't fool wolves for long, but as long as he's out of their scent range, it could still work!

Vesth
2016-07-06, 02:16 AM
The road snakes south, and then back west, the woods opening up to reveal a river about a mile south. Whether Zuu's plan worked or the wolves simply weren't interested in chasing, the sound of wolves faded as you follow the path.

As you continue westwards, tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes become recognizable as village dwellings. The windows of each house stare out from pools of blackness. No sound cuts the silence except for mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance, somewhere to the southwest.

It is now evening, and you have reached the Village of Barovia.

http://i.imgur.com/xwXa6i7.jpg

Belac93
2016-07-06, 10:12 AM
"Well, this is a nice little hovel." Bags says, wandering in the direction of the sobbing, "A very cheerful place. Could use some more flowers though."

Vesth
2016-07-06, 10:24 AM
Wandering through the town, you notice that there are few people about. Occasionally, you see a local or two some distance away, but they always move fast, quietly and with their head down. With the exception of two shops (a provisions shop called Bildrath's Mercantile and a tavern called Blood of the Vine), all of the other shops are closed, and the unoccupied shops have been looted of anything valuable. You manage to pinpoint the sound of the sobbing - the sounds flows from a dark, two-story townhouse.

eleazzaar
2016-07-06, 10:33 AM
"Finally, an open venue." Hyram points to the tavern.

"Let's go there and perhaps we'll get answers plain enough even for Anvorwulf. Then the sooner we carry that message back to the rest of the world, the better."

Zergrinch
2016-07-06, 10:38 AM
Zuu accompanies Gramps to the tavern, all the while carrying a pebble enchanted to give off light. Some place lighted would be a welcome relief from the oppressive darkness...

The_Admiral
2016-07-06, 10:51 AM
"Burgmeister, a proper translation would be tribe leader." Erik idly corrects as he follows mostly silently, he thought that moving onward was a dumb move but heading back alone was twice as dumb, so he followed in silent protest.

Erik follows into the tavern, hand resting on his hammer as he hides his weapon under his cloak.

eleazzaar
2016-07-06, 11:03 AM
"Burgmeister, a proper translation would be tribe leader."

In spite of the stresses of the moment and numerous greater concerns, Hyram's face twitches at the innaccuracy.

"No, a 'Burgomeister', is the master of a town, or 'burg'. Weather or not they are all of the same tribe or ethnicity is irrelevant. 'Tribe' implies that the people are primiarily organized by kinship and culture."

1) Yes that is a pendantic distinction.

2) Being needlessly pendantic is part of the explaination for Hyram's low charisma.

Belac93
2016-07-06, 11:11 AM
Old Lady Bags opens the door to the townhouse, peering in. She tries to find what the sobbing is about.

Got an 8 on Perception. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20969809&postcount=27)

Lank
2016-07-06, 11:12 AM
"I am not here for my literacy, I am here for that handy ability to blow things up with a wave of my hands" Anvorwulf interjects.

Anvorwulf approaches the tavern. "Hopefully the tavern holds more cheer than outside, or at least a decent meal".

He enters with the rest of the party.

Vesth
2016-07-06, 11:19 AM
As you pass under the gaping doorway, you realize that the sign proclaiming the name of the tavern is slightly defaced. The 'n' has been scratched over with a 'f'.

The tavern has definitely seen better days. Decorations are worn, faded or broken, and the tables and chairs are horribly scratched and slightly dirty. Although there is a blazing fire in the hearth, the tavern feels hardly warm.

Other than the barkeep, a pudgy little man who is currently cleaning glasses, the only patrons you can see are three richly dressed females at a table near the door and a young man sitting by himself at a corner table.

Only the young man looks up as you come in, and he gestures for you to come over.

For Bags
You try the door, but you have a suspicion that it's boarded up and barricaded from the inside.

Belac93
2016-07-06, 11:55 AM
For Bags
You try the door, but you have a suspicion that it's boarded up and barricaded from the inside.

Are there any windows?

Townopolis
2016-07-06, 12:12 PM
The half-orc strides with purpose through the rest of the forest, but slows when he reaches the edge of town. His head turns from side to side as he takes in the new environs, and the more perceptive adventurers will see that he has tensed up slightly. Nevertheless, he continues forward, although slow enough for the others to catch up.

When Hyram suggests they might find answers in the Blood of the Vife, the half-orc pauses and fixes an appraising stare on the gnome. Then, with a tug at the edges of his mouth that says "could work," he turns to almost follow the others into the tavern. But he stops just outside. He peers into the tavern for just enough time to take stock of the interior, then turns to stand outside. While he stands, he takes further stock of the village as it faces the street he's on.

[roll0]
I don't really expect to find anything, but there you have it in case it's relevant.

Vesth
2016-07-06, 09:00 PM
"Hail travelers." The blond man calls out. "What brings you to Barovia? Come and sit with me, I'll pay for your wine. "

For Bags
Every door and window on the first floor is boarded up. The second floor is a different story however. You think you see a window you can sneak through if you manage to get up there.

For Townopolis
The streets are nearly empty at this hour. The only person you can see is a hunched figure bundled in rags, pushing a rickety wooden cart at the end of the street and Lady Bags climbing through a window.

Zergrinch
2016-07-06, 09:04 PM
The first soul they encounter offers to buy them all a drink? Zuu's finely-honed ex-criminal senses have been piqued!

Insight check on the man. Does he seem trustworthy? [roll0]

The_Admiral
2016-07-06, 09:13 PM
"I would prefer to stand," he replied, as he did so, attempting to keep watch.

Vesth
2016-07-06, 09:32 PM
The man shrugs. "Hey Arik! A glass for each of these fine strangers!"

The barkeep mutters something indistinct, and puts several glasses of wine on the table before returning to his glass-cleaning.

"Name's Ismark. What brings you to our little town?"

For Zergrinch
The man seems sincere. He looks like he's troubled by something, but not enough for him to try and poison your wine.

Belac93
2016-07-06, 09:39 PM
Bags looks at the second story window quizzically, wondering why she is even here. She then shrugs, and waves her hands around a lot, making symbols that look terrifying to passer-byes. She stares at her hands for a while, and then waves them again, this time saying a few words. "Gobble wobble!" She yells, "Hellen Potrat! Dinhuing!"

Then, satisfied with her work, she casts a spell, "łët mę bė ā ßπîdër!" she intones, and then, carefully and nonchalantly, she walks up the wall and into the second story window. Her cat climbs up after her.

Casting spider climb and walking up the wall. I love wizards.

Zergrinch
2016-07-06, 09:41 PM
"Well met, Ismark. I am Zuu Greenbrook. We are here to scout the fine hamlet of Barovia. Word has it that it's a fine place to retire, and so we wish to apprise the real estate valuations before the inevitable land rush."

Deception: [roll0]. I have just lied to you! How well did I lie???

Vesth
2016-07-06, 09:57 PM
For Bags
The house is nearly empty, with the sole occupant being a poor-looking lady sitting in the centre of the floor of one of the bedrooms. She is rocking back and forth slightly, clutching a malformed doll in her hands.

"Gertruda....." she sobs. "Come back to me...."

Belac93
2016-07-06, 10:25 PM
Bags walks through, and sits down next to the lady, saying "Are ya alright? Ye seem a mite sad. Who's Gertrude?"

Vesth
2016-07-06, 10:50 PM
Ismark glances over at the trio of ladies. "Well. The best way to get word out is to ask the Vistani. He leans back in his chair.

"The place is cheap, sure. But Barovians aren't friendly folk. It isn't exactly a friendly neighborhood.

Ismark gestures, and the barkeep passes him another glass.

"Kolyanovich, remember to pay your tab." the barkeep says as he turns to serve the ladies.

For Bags
Upon hearing her name, the woman starts wailing. She seems barely aware of your presence, or just doesn't care.

"I sheltered my daughter in this house my whole life, and now she's gone! Gone! For a week, and no sign of her! Gertruda...."

Belac93
2016-07-06, 10:55 PM
"Well, keepin' jer own daughter locked up fer her whole life doesn't seem very smart. But why are ye worried after only a week? People nevva get worried ef I go missing. And then they're all like: 'But I don't know who you are! Why are you here!' An then I have to run." Bags walks down the wall and lays her hand on the woman's shoulder, "I like ya. Ye're nice. Where ye think li'l Gertie coulda gone?" She asks, "I'm horribly lost, so mebbe she is too!"

eleazzaar
2016-07-06, 11:31 PM
" Word has it that it's a fine place to retire, and so we wish to apprise the real estate valuations before the inevitable land rush."

Hyram rolls his eyes.

But he can't entirely discount the possibility that Zuu actually wants to retire here.

Townopolis
2016-07-07, 12:24 AM
At first, Moranog dismisses the crazy cat lady climbing through a window and focuses on dropping eaves on the adventurers inside, but then he notices her casting another spell, and that gets his attention. He turns his attention to her in time to see her nonchalantly walking up the side of a house and in the window.

He turns back to the tavern, where all the others are conversing with a young man and getting free drinks, and lingers long enough to hear a little more of their conversation. Then he abruptly turns away and heads to the house that the old woman is invading. He looks up at the window she walked through and tries to estimate whether or not he has a good chance following her. If he likes his odds, he takes a few steps back so that he can start his ascent with a running jump. If not, he'll look around for another avenue of entry--like a bash-able window or door.

Moranog will first assess how difficult it would be to climb up to the second-story window. Should it seem an easy climb, he'll try it. If it looks like it'll be dicey (I'd say DC 14 or higher), he'll begin testing first-story windows and the door for weakness. He'll only try to bash one in if he thinks he can do so quietly. If he can't, then he'll step back and wait to see (or hear) what happens next.

(Now, according to my own reading of the PHB section on athletics, I don't think climbing normally requires a check unless it's a particularly difficult surface, like ice; there's some sort of extra challenge, like trying to remain unheard or ascend quickly; or you're distracted, like if orcs are shooting at you; but then I'd bet dollars to donuts the module already has a listed DC for scaling the side of the house).

Anyways, here's the roll for whichever approach Moranog settles on, unless it's just stepping back and waiting.
[roll0]

Lank
2016-07-07, 01:41 AM
Anvorwulf tries really hard to hold in his laughter at Zuu's fib but a loud snort manages to escape.
"Maybe you could sell boards for a living Zuu, they seem to be pretty popular window accessories around here". Anvorwulf giggles a little bit more.

"Ale for me friend, don't want the ladies over there to think I am soft".

Anvorwulf takes a seat a the table and props his staff on a lean against the table. "Zuu may be house hunting but the rest of us are looking for someone in particular. Perhaps you have heard of someone by the name of Kolyan Indrirovich, from what I can tell he is probably a big deal around here".

Vesth
2016-07-07, 03:05 AM
Ismark frowns at the mention of the name. "My name is Ismark Kolyanovich. This roughly translates to Ismark, son of Kolyan. What business do you have with my father?"

For Moranog and Bags
Moranog manages the climb quite easily, and following the source of the sound, he finds a lady who's sobbing on the floor and clutching a malformed doll. Bags is next to her, with a hand on her shoulder.

"No idea where she went...gone for a week...something must have happened...Gertruda..." the woman sobs, oblivious of the two of you.

Her hands loosen a bit, and you catch a better glimpse of the doll. There's a tag on it that says: Is no fun, is no Blinsky

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QWFOjKHxv_4/VyF109FGvWI/AAAAAAAAGuM/ZQrZJLVhbRM19UAUPtMfVGawdH2v1z3JgCLcB/s1600/blinskydoll.jpg

eleazzaar
2016-07-07, 09:06 AM
Ismark frowns at the mention of the name. "My name is Ismark Kolyanovich. This roughly translates to Ismark, son of Kolyan. What business do you have with my father?"

Hyram answers cautiously, "He sent us a message with a job for us to do. No offence, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be public knowledge or not. I'd rather preserve the client's confidentiallity untill it is clear the client doesn't desire it. Where can we find the Burgomiester?"

Hyram pauses, then adds,

"If you don't mind my saying so, the town seems rather wary. Has there been trouble here?"

Belac93
2016-07-07, 10:32 AM
Bags notices Moranog coming in, and gives him a near-toothless grin. "Funny seeing ye here, orcling. This woman is bananas." She turns back to the crying lady, "Do ye want me ta try an find yer daughter?" She asks, straightening up and cracking her back.

[roll0]

Townopolis
2016-07-07, 10:40 AM
The half-orc does not return Bags' smile, nor does he speak. He stands in the bedroom doorway and watches. He examines the sobbing lady and her odd doll from a distance, and he surveys the bedroom for anything of interest. He also occasionally looks around at the room or hall outside the bedroom, but mostly he just looms.

At this point, his shield is back on his shoulder, and he has no weapons drawn. He is not exactly relaxed, but neither is he taut and anticipating an ambush. Every now and then, his gaze turns suddenly to Bags, but he then invariably blinks or shakes his head and finds something else to stare at.

Vesth
2016-07-07, 10:55 AM
Ismark looks away. "My father is dead." He pauses for a moment and looks at each of your eyes, as if sizing you up. Finally, he gets to his feet and passes the barkeep a small pouch of coins.

"Come with me. I'm sure you have many questions that we'll be able to answer. We need help as well, and you look like someone that can be trusted."

For Bags and Moranog
The woman gives a slight nod. "If you can find my Gertruda, I will give you anything." the woman whimpers.

Townopolis
2016-07-07, 11:12 AM
Quietly, the half-orc turns away and pads back to the window he entered by and climbs back down onto the street. He shakes his head once his feet are on cobblestone again.

He then surveys the street once more. As he does so, his mouth tugs down into a scowl and his mien becomes even more broody than before. He leans against the corner of a nearby house and generally scowls at the world for a minute or two.

While he's brooding, the half-orc reaches down to the pouch at his side. As he does so, his hand brushes the small ceramic jar also hanging from his belt. He pauses, momentarily lost to the world. The moment passes, and he opens his purse to pull out a crumpled letter. He closes his purse again and ties the strings. Then he opens the letter and reads it again.

The letter is quickly crumpled again, and the half-orc turns to stride back to the Blood of the Vife, this time with purpose. He thought he'd seen a trio of Vistani there, and he was determined to speak with them.

eleazzaar
2016-07-07, 11:25 AM
"Come with me. I'm sure you have many questions that we'll be able to answer. We need help as well, and you look like someone that can be trusted."

The gnome looks around. The aged woman and the half orc weren't in the building. It didn't sit right with him so quickly abandoning a traveling companion in a strange place, but he knew nothing of either, and the woman didn't seem to be one to be trusted anyway.

Hyram looks at the others, and nods, indicating that he thinks they should go to hear what this man has to say.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 11:27 AM
"Of course. She'll be back, an I'll be with her. Ye just sit tight."

Bags leaves, walking down the wall, and out onto the street. Looking around, she sets off towards the Tavern where she saw everyone else. After a moment, her cat climbs down after her.

She walks in the door, keeps walking, and walks up the opposite wall. She sits down on the ceiling, and begins speaking.

"G̸̭̖̫ͅi̷͔̝̜ͅv̱͙̭̠͓̖͝e ̳͘m̨̦ȩ ̴̫ͅa̢̘̖̺̳̣ ͡s͓̹̺̭̤e͙̮̖͉͚̠͟r̶̖v̙͎̪̥̠̜̕ͅa̯̖̱̼ͅn҉̞̲͍̮͕̱t͉̝͚̯̞͇͡, ̛̞̞ ̮̹̥̙͘ͅͅon͙e̼̖̖̜͕ ͚w̛̯̗̪̫̥̤͈h̲̻̘̟̜o̵̩͚͕͉̥̝͎ ̱̯̰w̛ill ̴̱̺̠͉̙̹ͅd̯͠ọ͕̭̺͖̼̤ ̭͖̭̼̰w̟̰h̷a̛͖͚̬͎̗͕̜t̜̱͜e̢v̸̹̪̮͉̰̘ͅe̙̠̱̼r Ì̻ ҉̺̩̩teḽ̰̘̠͝l͏̻ ̼̫̣̰͠i̧̗͓̟̪t͍̱͇̱̬̝ ͕̣̥̣͙t҉̮͓̫͖͔̹o͏̗̗͓̯̼.͙̝̺̻̩̳ͅ I͚ ̸͕̠̞̳l͍͖̞͉̹͖̥i̘̦̲̺̖̥̼ḳ̀e̮̰͎ ͍̗s̶̲e͈̫̳̗̮͈͟ͅr̭͕̖͙͇v͍̤̤a̫̰͎͕̤̗n̳̺̝̳̠ͅt̷̬͎͇̘s͇ ̞̹" She mutters, over and over again, while wrapping a piece of string around a sliver of wood.

Taking 10 minutes to cast unseen servant as a ritual.

The_Admiral
2016-07-07, 11:41 AM
Erik nods, following him as he led them out, hand still on his weapon. There was no use in dropping his guard yey.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 11:45 AM
Bags notices what is happening, and walks down the wall to the others. "Who's this feller?" She says, jerking her thumb at the young man.

Vesth
2016-07-07, 11:47 AM
Just as Moranog was about to open the door to the tavern, Ismark opens the door from the inside, with Hyram and whoever else who wanted to follow in tow. "Are you coming with us?" Ismark asks. "I have much to share with all of you."

For Bags
You feel an invisible force stir in the corner of the room when you cast the spell. For a moment, the force feels malevolent and dangerous, but then you feel the link form between you and it, and the sense of wrongness is gone.

Lank
2016-07-07, 11:52 AM
"Well isn't that convenient, the guy who promises us riches winds up dead before we can even do the job. Starting to think fate is taking pot shots at us now".

Anvorwulf grabs his staff and sets out to follow Ismark. As per usual he is pretty relaxed and carefree, obviously not being on edge like some of the other party members are.

"So if you don't mind me asking, what was it that managed to get your old man? Was it the reason why all these windows are boarded up?".

Belac93
2016-07-07, 11:56 AM
Bags turns back to the invisible force she conjured. "S͎̟̖͕͓̹t̸̖ay̼̦̰̬,͝ a̖̱̮̫̗̘n̵͈d̷̯̯͚ ͇͖̪͔̘͘c̺̗l̠e̬̰͍̠͇̗a̶̪̪̝͇n̛̖̹͎" She says. The thing picks up a broom, and begins sweeping.

"Where ye takin' us?"

Vesth
2016-07-07, 12:16 PM
"My home. It's the southernmost building in this town. I'll answer your questions when we get there." Ismark says as he starts heading southwards.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 12:21 PM
Bags follows.

"I still never got his name." She mutters.

Zergrinch
2016-07-07, 12:29 PM
Zuu follows the young man as he leads the way to his house, taking utmost care to jot down all the prime real estate locations. It was all for show, of course. He's not quite ready to spill his motives quite yet...

Vesth
2016-07-07, 08:11 PM
Ismark guides you to a weary-looking mansion that squats behind a rusting iron fence. The iron gates are twisted and torn. The right gate lies cast aside, while the left swings lazily in the wind. The shuttering squeal and clang of the gate repeats with mindless precision. Weeds choke the grounds and press with menace upon the house itself. Yet, against the walls, the growth has been tramped down to create a path all about the domain. Heavy claw marks have stripped the once-beautiful finish of the walls. Great black marks tell of the fires that have assailed the mansion. Not a pane nor shard of glass stands in any window. All the windows are barred with planks, each one marked with stains of evil omen.

Ismark walks confidently to the front door. "Ireena, I brought some help!" he calls out as he unlocks the door and steps inside.

For Moranog
If you rather stay with the ladies, let me know!

Townopolis
2016-07-07, 08:30 PM
The half-orc's surprise when Ismark addresses him is plain, and he immediately fixes a harsh glare on the human. "Az u hronk?!" he demands surlily in the guttural orc tongue, even as he stands aside so that the others may pass. His glare does not invite a response, as he lets the others pass by, and he turns to enter when all are past.

But he pauses, and he turns his head to watch the party over his shoulder as they head away. With a last look at the vistani women enjoying the tavern, he turns to follow the group he arrived with for now.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 08:31 PM
"Pretty banged up place here, ennit?" Bags comments, "Whot happened? Bears? Those critters are a nasty boonch."

Vesth
2016-07-07, 08:48 PM
The interior of the mansion is well-furnished, yet shows signs of great wear as Ismark leads you through the house. Noticeable oddities are the boarded-up windows and the presence of holy symbols in every room. The burgomaster is in a side drawing room on the floor-lying in a simple wooden coffin surrounded by wilting flowers and a faint odor of decay.

"We've been attacked by wolves and zombies send by that damned devil...Ireena!" he calls out as a striking young woman with auburn hair enters the room.

"Ireena, I brought help. Adventurers, I need your help to bring Ireena here to Vallaki, where she'll be safe."

"No, I won't go." She shakes her head. "I know you mean the best for me, but our dear father is lying on the floor here! I refuse to leave town until he gets a proper burial."

eleazzaar
2016-07-07, 08:56 PM
Hyram's eyes widen as they enter the house and see the various evidences of a state of siege.

He turns to his fellow travlers, especially the half-orc and senile human. "Perhaps we should stick together, until we leave Barovia?"

"Adventurers, I need your help to bring Ireena here to Vallaki, where she'll be safe."

"What safety does Vallaki offer?"

Then he shows them the note. "We recovered this from a dead messager down the road. This is your father's handwritting?"

Vesth
2016-07-07, 09:07 PM
Ismark takes the notes and looks it over. "Yes, it is. I recognized my father's writing anywhere. Father sent Dalvan, so that must be his body you saw." he said somberly. "I've heard that Vallaki is well defended. Safer."

Ireena snorts angrily. "And while we were attacked day after day after day, what did our neighbors do? Nothing! When Ismark wants to take Father to the cemetery for a proper burial, everyone here all but shuns us."

Townopolis
2016-07-07, 09:13 PM
The half-orc gives the gnome a look of mixed amusement, pity, and disdain, but a moment earlier he too had been noticing the many signs of a siege while resting one hand on the pommel of his sword. Inside, his attention turns first to the nice furnishings, then to the corpse in its coffin, and finally comes to rest on the young Ireena. For a while, he stares just at her.

"What will you do, boy, when we're gone?" the half-orc, who is probably younger than Ismark, demands of the lordling once he is able to tear his gaze away from Ireena.

Zergrinch
2016-07-07, 09:27 PM
Zuu examines the house with a critical eye. "Hmm, natural landscaping, needs your decorative touches. May be a bit of a fixer-upper, but could be a real gem. The neighbors are horrible, you say?"

Vesth
2016-07-08, 09:34 AM
"Gone? If you mean you won't help us, I'm not sure what to do. We need your help." Ismark turns to Zuu. "They're afraid."

"Cowards."

"They're afraid of the devil Strahd. He controls them using fear. But not us. Someday, I will kill him, and his blood will drip from my blade."

Belac93
2016-07-08, 09:48 AM
"They're afraid of the devil Strahd. He controls them using fear. But not us. Someday, I will kill him, and his blood will drip from my blade."

"Can I help?" Bags says, "He doesn't seem like a very nice man. Also, is he really a devil?"

The_Admiral
2016-07-08, 09:56 AM
"with what men, with what tools, with what plan? Your brother has the right of this, retreating and calling down the wrath of the church on this monster is the wiser choice."

Townopolis
2016-07-08, 09:59 AM
For some reason, the half-orc finds this funny. He sniggers, shakes his head, and turns away to examine some worn piece of finery. A moment later, he massages his face with one hand, as if what Ismark said were painful. "Gods below," he says at last, "no wonder the villagers hate you."

He turns back toward Ismark and looks about to speak, but he swallows whatever he was about to say while Erik speaks.

Vesth
2016-07-08, 10:16 AM
"It is said that the devil Strahd is a curse placed on the lands because of a forgotten sin of our ancestors. But, he is not really a devil. Strahd von Zarovich is a vampire. Up to three days ago, we've been attacked. Strahd himself has visited us. For some reason, he wants Ireena."

"I can't remember what happened when Strahd came. All I remember is the blazing hunger in his eyes."

"I'm afriad the next time he comes, he will take Ireena away. We need to escort her to safety. To Vallaki."

Lank
2016-07-08, 10:17 AM
Anvorwulf seems entertained with Zuu and decides to run along with it. "Well I say good sir you are quite foolish to consider this purchase, a manor like this is just a pit to throw all your gold away, much easier to demolish it and start over". Anvorwulf says in a posh Faerun equivalent of a british accent.

"A vampire! Isn't the obvious solution to have the whole town where garlic around their necks? Seems like a no brainer to me."

Townopolis
2016-07-08, 10:29 AM
The half-orc stops sniggering and turns back to the group. Yet again, he looks at each of the other adventurers in turn. Eventually, he moves to stand near Erik and Hyram. Where that puts him in relation to the rest isn't his concern.

"What forces does Strahd command?" he asks.

The_Admiral
2016-07-08, 10:36 AM
"It matters not, if what you say is true, and he is a vampire, he could command the entire town by tomorrow night, in fact, I should take some customary precautions given the nature of the Count." he replies as he draws his hammer, rifling through his bag for a stake. Placing it over their father's chest, he finishes saying, "With your permission of course."

Vesth
2016-07-08, 10:48 AM
"Other than every creature at his damned castle? The Vistani, probably. They alone can leave this accursed place. All his enemies are dead, and all that's left of them are the the spirits that drift along Old Svalich Road towards Castle Ravenloft at night."

"Well, there's a mad wizard who's no friend of the devil Strahd as well. He haunts the foot hills of Mount Baratok."

As Erik raises the hammer and the stake, Ireena grabs his arm, giving him a glare. "What exactly are you trying to do?"

Zergrinch
2016-07-08, 10:56 AM
Zuu looks a bit confused at the horrified reference shown to this Strahd character.

I know Strahd to be a fine craftsman, especially of exquisit violins that cost a small fortune. Sad to see him fall to darkness. If he is as powerful you say, why hasn't he branched out from Barovia? What keeps him here, is he looking for something?

The_Admiral
2016-07-08, 10:56 AM
"mere precaution, in my experience, those slain by vampires become vampires and the most sure way to ensure the dead never rise again as vampires is either a stake through the heart or cremation, we lack the facilities for the second."

Townopolis
2016-07-08, 11:00 AM
Everything Erik says and does catches the half-orc's attention, and he moves to better watch what the man is about to do. His expression is dubious, but intrigued. His stance is alert, but loose. Casually, while he observes, the half-orc also loosens his sword in its sheath, and his left hand moves up to hold the strap of his shield.

Only one thing distracts him--Ireena's comments about the Vistani. While she moves to interrupt Erik's staking, the half-orc turns to Ismark and asks "What does she mean, only the Vistani can leave this place?"

Vesth
2016-07-08, 11:07 AM
Ireena gently but firmly tries to ply the stake and hammer from Erik's hands. "He died of a heart attack when he couldn't stand the strain of being attacked night after night after night. He was not killed by Strahd."

"You did not know? Anyone who tries to leave will choke on the fog. If they don't turn back, they perish. As I have said, it goes that Strahd is a curse placed on this land. Maybe if other lands commit the same forgotten sin, they'll have their own Strahd."

Townopolis
2016-07-08, 11:18 AM
The half-orc receives this new information with a dark chuckle. A moment later, he relaxes. "Good news for those enjoy bad news" he says and smiles widely, as if that pertains to him. He turns his attention to Erik and Ireena and waits to see what's going to happen there.

The_Admiral
2016-07-08, 12:39 PM
"...this changes everything, we're stuck here then....." he sighs, placing his tools back into his pack.

"We set off to seek the wizard on the morrow, no travelling after sunset, this house is home base until a better one is found, we get back before sunset and do not set a foot outside after the sun drops from the sky, are we agreed? Knowledge is power, fighting a vampire with neither is the height of foolishness."

Townopolis
2016-07-08, 05:57 PM
The half-orc reaches to his belt and takes out the map (http://i.imgur.com/pNbIDjI.jpg) he looted off of Dalvan's body. He walks slowly over to Erik and hands the map to him, then takes a step back.

Lank
2016-07-08, 06:51 PM
"You mean we can't leave, no offense but your father was a bit of a jerk for not mentioning this in the letter. Anvorwulf says and frowns. "I think trying to find this hermit is the best way to go about. This wizard is no friend of Strahd and might have spell which myself or the old lady could learn to use on the vampire".

Vesth
2016-07-08, 08:19 PM
"Can you please escort Ireena to Vallaki on the way there? It's but a short detour. By the time you go there and come back here, Strahd or his minions could come back and take my sister."

Zergrinch
2016-07-08, 08:53 PM
Zuu lets loose a frown. "Can't leave? Well, that... complicates things. Not a big issue for retirees, but those in sales...?"

"In any case, we might as well stay here before visiting this wizard then."

Belac93
2016-07-08, 08:56 PM
"Can you please escort Ireena to Vallaki on the way there? It's but a short detour. By the time you go there and come back here, Strahd or his minions could come back and take my sister."

"Sure, anythin' fer a handsome young man like yerself." the old woman says, winking at him. She turns to Ireena, "Yer not too bad yerself."

Vesth
2016-07-08, 09:03 PM
"Before we leave, can you help my brother bring our father's body to the church? All I want is a proper burial for him."

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 10:43 AM
Hyram

After remaining quiet for most of the conversation, Hyram speaks up again "Are the roads safe at night? It's evening now, so unless you believe night a good time to travel, we should rest and depart in the morning."

"We can take your father to the church at first light and depart for Vallaki from there."

Moranog

"How long will a proper burial take?" growls the half-orc. Before waiting for an answer, he looks down at Hyram and says "If it's going to take long, we ought do it now and get more time on the road tomorrow."

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 10:59 AM
"We`re dealing with vampires, night's a terrible time." Erik interjects.

Vesth
2016-07-09, 11:09 AM
"It doesn't take too long. You can stay here for the night, and we'll get started tomorrow."

Ireena looks around the messy and worn-out place. "If you're staying for the night, I may as well clean up a bit. Thanks for agreeing to help us."

Belac93
2016-07-09, 11:13 AM
Ireena looks around the messy and worn-out place. "If you're staying for the night, I may as well clean up a bit. Thanks for agreeing to help us."

"I'll help." Bags says. She mutters a bit more, saying "C̻͎l̪̟̼̯̘̬e͕̠a̶̗͙͔̩n̬̩ ̛t̴͙̦̲̟̭͎ͅh҉e̷̹̟̼̙ ̬̠̭̘͢d̪̫͈̕a̗̙̫̻̜ṃ̫̪n̸ h̳̦̟̟͙͠ͅo̴u͕͓̬͉̗͡ś͎͔̳͚̳̠e̷͚̞̜̮̪̥ͅ!͖͎̟͟" over and over and over again. Once she stops, and invisible force appears and begins to help sweep and clean.

Casting unseen servant as a ritual and asking it to help Ireena in any way she desires.

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 11:21 AM
Moranog

"So you are coming with us?" the half-orc asks Ismark. "Well that answers my first question."

Despite asking, he doesn't appear to be interested in Ismark's response either way. He turns away from the group and begins exploring the first floor of the house. Initially, he heads away from the burgomeister's corpse--if it's in the east wing, he heads to the west wing and vice-versa--but he'll return that way if he doesn't find what he's looking for easily.

What he's looking for will turn out to be the kitchen, or a larder. He's looking for food other than his own travel rations.

Hyram

"Since we're staying the night, we should prepare defenses. You said you've been under siege, right? Is this the only door in, and are these the only stairs up?"

Vesth
2016-07-09, 11:42 AM
"Up to three days ago, yes. When our father died, they stopped coming." He looks around at the barricades. "There's a back door, but we barricaded that, along with every window in the house. We're planning to barricade the front door later too."

"Thanks." Ireena says hesitantly, a bit wary of Bag's magic. She keeps a healthy distance away from the unseen servant. She calls out after noticing Moranog. "Are you looking for food? I can cook something up." If Moranog is willing, Ireena can cook some stew for whoever wants it.

Belac93
2016-07-09, 12:27 PM
"I like stew." Bags says. "Put a little rat scat in it, livens the whole meal up!"

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 12:28 PM
"...I will provide my assitance with the barricading," he replied, there was something wrong with this, they weren't being attacked for a reason, an agent snuck in?

Zergrinch
2016-07-09, 12:32 PM
Zuu looks the house around, looking for weak spots or potential areas of entry. Since the others seem to be taking a siege mentality regarding staying the night, he might as well identify locations that ought to be defended, just in case.

http://youtu.be/SevQ4Fg1XqI
General dice roll: [roll0]

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 01:48 PM
Moranog

The half-orc ignores Ireena's offer of stew, although he doesn't interfere with her making it if she does so for the rest of the party. For himself, he simply stalks the ground floor with a surly attitude and finds himself something to devour. He isn't picky, but neither will he pass up the opportunity to carve off a whole wedge of cheese for himself. When it comes to helping himself, the half-orc reveals himself capable of following rudimentary etiquette so far as not just ripping off chunks of bread and cheese for himself. He cuts his portions off and returns the remainder to whatever storage he found it in. But he's still surly, and he still builds himself a small hoard of grub. And, when he sits down, he still doesn't necessarily choose something designed for the task. A desk, table, or cabinet will do just fine for him. Should he not find one of those that seems sturdy enough, he'll sit himself on the stairs.

Hyram

Hyram follows Zuu on his survey of the ground floor perimeter. "We should probably rest upstairs and post a sentry near the landing. I have an idea for a way to impede anyone who gets inside, but it'll work best on those stairs."

Vesth
2016-07-09, 08:08 PM
After taking the necessary precautions (and a healthy bowl of stew), the adventurers trudge upstairs to retire for the night. It turns out that the extra defenses weren't necessary; you weren't attacked that night.
After washing and cleaning up, you un-barricade the front door and prepare to leave.

As you make your way to the church, you hear screaming and crying down the street. If you turn to look, you would see two parents crying and pleading with an old woman, even older than Lady Bags. The old woman snatching the child from their parent's grasp, and stuffs him in a sack, strapping him down to her peddler's cart.

For Zuu and Moranog
You awaken in the middle of the night, your senses tingling. You can't hear or see anything strange, but your sixth sense is telling you otherwise. If you happen to look outside, through the holes in the barricade that blocks the window, you'll see a ghostly procession marching through the town. Wavering images of doughty women toting greatswords, woodwise men with slender bows, dwarves with glittering axes, and archaically dressed mages with beards and strange, pointed hats - all these and more marching through the town, from east to west.

For Moranog
You can't really be sure, but you think you see your mother among those marching through the town.

For Bags
You had a dream last night. It didn't feel like one of those dreams where it's all pleasant and get to do what you want. This dream feels more lucid...real.

In this dream, you are a raven, flying high above yourself and your party members. They're facing off some kind of red dragonborn, decked in armor.

Lank
2016-07-09, 08:37 PM
Visibly disgusted at what was happening to the two parents Anvorwulf takes off on foot towards them. He doesn't look like he had thought this through and is running on pure emotions. A kidnapping right in front of his eyes will not go unpunished.

Anvorwulf will sprint to the cart as fast as he can. Once within 60ft he will cast Frostbite targetting the old woman.
[roll0] Athletics?
The old lady must make a DC 13 con save.
If the save fails she takes [roll1] damage and has disadvantage on its next weapon attack roll until the end of her next turn.

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 08:49 PM
Moranog

"Ugh im'Baator?" mutters the half-orc to nobody in particular, and for a moment he just stares. Then he begins to turn a questioning gaze on Ireena before abandoning that idea and just walking toward the scene. As he walks, he readies his shield in the same fashion as he did in the forest.

"Someone watch your nobles" he says, again to nobody in particular, as he walks away from the group, but he does jam pointed finger in the general direction of Ireena and Ismark to make it clear what he means.

Readying shield, walking 30' toward the scene, and watching out for trouble
[roll0]

Hyram

Wordlessly, the gnome disappears.

Hyram will find a place to hide and observe what's going on with this ancient hag, but he'll stick near Ireena and Ismark.
[roll1]

Zergrinch
2016-07-09, 08:57 PM
Zuu's sleep was rather fitful; at some point, he wakes up in the middle of the night and thought he saw a procession of ghosts parading outside. Ultimately deciding that it was merely an upset stomach, the warlock goes right back to sleep, although when he awakens, there are circles under his eyes.

"I had the most ridiculous dream, of parading ghosts. Upset stomach maybe," was all he offered by way of explanation should anyone care to ask.

----

The unfolding tableau before him is quite upsetting to Zuu. An old hag even older and haggier than the crone accompanying them, if that was even possible, was abducting a child in broad daylight!

Vesth
2016-07-09, 08:58 PM
The old lady stumbles back, clutching a frostbitten hand. Seeing the charging group of adventurers, she raises her non-injured hand. "Ooo, me laddies. I give, I give!" she says in a calm, croaky voice. "What do you want with an old merchant like me?"

For Moranog
You don't spot any hidden threats around. The old woman herself seems unwilling to fight.

Zergrinch
2016-07-09, 09:00 PM
The former orphan experiences a surge of emotion as he angrily approaches the witch and her cart.

What do you think you're doing?!! Children are not goods for you to take!

Vesth
2016-07-09, 09:05 PM
"The boy is payment yes? They couldn't pay." she gestures to the crying couple. "They bought some of my pastries. Would you like some? It gives you an escape from mundane life, yes?"

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 09:08 PM
The half-orc continues bearing down on the woman, albeit at nothing more than a brisk walking pace. He doesn't speak. He doesn't glare. His right hand doesn't drift toward his sword. He just walks steadily forward until he's within about 5' of the peddlers' cart and then watches the crone, the baby-in-a-bag, and the parents by turns. The crone gets double the eyeballing.

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 09:10 PM
"Pastries? Really? Is that what the kids are calling them nowadays? Congragulations, I don't care, let him go." Erik adds, narrowing his eyes as he pushes his cloak aside revealing his warhammer, hand on the handle.

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 09:20 PM
The half-orc lets out a low, angry growl. It rumbles out of his chest and through his teeth, and he tilts his head side-to-side to crack his next as the growl reaches its end. The next time he turns his eyeballs to the couple, he is glaring.

"How much for a pastry?" he says suddenly, while he turns his now glare-free gaze to the crone.

Vesth
2016-07-09, 09:21 PM
The old woman shrugs, and opens the sack, letting the boy go. As the boy runs into his parents' arms, she turns and looks at each of the adventurers in turn. She doesn't seem worried or upset.

"I've let him go, yes I have. Yes, pastries laddie." She takes out what looks to be a mincemeat pie from her cart. "And one gold each, if you're interested, yes?"

Zergrinch
2016-07-09, 09:22 PM
"Payment? For a bunch of bread?" Zuu sputters. " How much did they owe you??!"

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 09:24 PM
The half-orc loses interest as suddenly and without explanation as his interest was piqued. "I'm not" he says.

He looks back at the parents, and the glare has returned. He growls again, and there is fury in his eyes. But he subsides once again and turns away to head back to Ireena and Ismark. The anger is still clear on his face, though, even then.

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 09:29 PM
"That's a large markup, I'm willing to bet there's something extra in them. Milk of the poppy?"

Lank
2016-07-09, 09:33 PM
"Leave my sight now hag and maybe I won't burn you at the stake" Anvorwulf says, his face is red and full of anger.
[roll0]

Vesth
2016-07-09, 09:34 PM
The old woman gives a sly smile. "A secret ingredient. The only pastries of its kind you'll ever see." She looks at Anvorwulf. "I'll take my leave then. No love for an old woman." she walks to her cart and starts pushing it, walking down the street and out of sight.

---

With the old woman dealt with, you make your way to the church, a gray, sagging edifice of stone and wood. This church has obviously weathered the assaults of evil for centuries on end and is worn and weary. A bell tower rises toward the back, and flickering light shines through holes in the shingled roof. The rafters strain feebly against the load. The heavy wooden doors of the church are covered with claw marks and scarred by fire.

Ireena leads the way, pushing the door open, revealing a ten-foot-wide, twenty-foot long hall leading to a brightly lit chapel. The hall is unlit and reeks of mildew. Four doors, two on each side of the hall, lead to adjacent chambers.

You can see that the chapel is strewn with debris, and you hear a soft voice reciting a prayer. Suddenly, the prayer is blotted out by an inhuman scream that rises up from beneath the wooden floor.

Map
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11G09wx1PJF43b7_ELvFwVcjdDVIb1Oe-5FVeAh5ZAmw/edit#slide=id.p

Townopolis
2016-07-09, 10:02 PM
The half-orc, who is presumably carrying or helping to carry the coffin, startles slightly at the inhuman scream. One hand twitches toward his sword, and he almost drops the coffin. He manages to keep his grip, however, and relaxes with little more than a look down at the floor after the scream passes. Assuming whoever else is helping carry the coffin will follow suit, he carries on toward the chapel.

Belac93
2016-07-09, 10:12 PM
Bags doesn't seem to notice the scream, and continues.

Vesth
2016-07-09, 10:18 PM
The chapel is a shambles, with overturned and broken pews littering the dusty floor. Dozens of candles mounted in candlesticks and candelabras light every dusty corner in a fervent attempt to rid the chapel of shadows. At the far end of the church sits a claw-scarred altar, behind which kneels a priest in soiled vestments. Next to him hangs a long, thick rope tat stretches up into the bell tower.

From beneath the chapel floor, you hear a young man's voice cry out, "Father, I'm starving!"

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 10:32 PM
"......what happened to him?" Erik asks, as he observes the situation, warhammer and sheild drawn, ready for battle.

Lank
2016-07-09, 11:10 PM
"This place is giving me the creeps, like more than usual. Do architects deliberatly design these places to be creepy?".

---

Anvorwulf is unsettled by the voice underneath the floor. "Is their no sanity left in this town? Why is there someone underneath us?"

The_Admiral
2016-07-09, 11:14 PM
"Given the claws I'm assuming a werewolf, but I could be wrong....."

Belac93
2016-07-10, 12:00 AM
"Given the claws I'm assuming a werewolf, but I could be wrong....."

"Gold piece says it's this Strahd feller's minion." Bags says.

Townopolis
2016-07-10, 12:34 AM
The half-orc hauls the coffin to the center of the chapel and sets it down on debris and floor with little care for how it jostles and tilts. As long as it doesn't tip over and spill its contents, he doesn't seem to care.

"Father. We're here to bury this man" he says to the priest, perhaps a bit too loudly for the small room.

Zergrinch
2016-07-10, 03:26 AM
Although the woman was clearly in the wrong, Zuu feels chagrined at the behavior of his fellow adventurers - they attacked what was apparently a defenseless old lady. Deciding to reduce the sting of their treatment of her, the warlock purchases two loaves from her and presses two gold pieces to her hand.

While his friends continue on to the chapel, Zuu engages the family in a brief conversation. Who was she? How much did they owe, and why did they allow her to toss the child in a sack without physically preventing her from doing so?

After securing some answers, Zuu ambles along to the chapel, which is obviously in a decrepit state. The unsettling sounds seem to pique his interest, and he tries to pinpoint where it came from.

Investigation: [roll0]

Vesth
2016-07-10, 11:12 AM
"...and may the Morning-Lord give me guidance." With the prayer finished, the priest slowly gets to his feet and turns to face you, his face weary and bags under his eyes. He looks at the assembled folk, from Ireena to the dead burgomaster. "I see," he says in a hoarse voice. He looks at the dead body a little longer. "Come. Help me bring the body to the cemetery. We have some digging to do."

When the priest leaves for the cemetery at the back of the church with whoever is helping him bury Koyan, Ismark winces at the occasional screaming and shouting in the basement.

"Poor Donavich." he laments. "A year ago, his son and several villagers stormed Castle Ravenloft in revolt, having been lured there by a wizard from a faraway land. It didn't go well. His son came back as a vampire spawn, and Donavich managed to trap...it...under the church. He's been praying ever since."

Townopolis
2016-07-10, 11:20 AM
The half-orc helps carry the coffin out to the graveyard, and he set it down to take up a shovel and dig when the time is right. He doesn't quite throw himself into the work with enthusiasm, but he digs with bland determination and quickly settles into a steady rhythm.

Although he remains clearly uninterested in speaking, the half-orc will command Father Donavich "Pray" if the priest is not digging alongside him.

Belac93
2016-07-10, 12:05 PM
Bags is unusually solemn, standing and petting Ginger, who does not seem happy either.

Lank
2016-07-10, 06:46 PM
Anvorwulf does little to help with the grave digging. He didn't want to exhaust himself while there was still some adventuring to do. The vampire spawn underneath the chapel unnerves him. He seems to think the poor fellow would be better off dead rather than live through such a cruel fate.

All Anvorwulf does is lean up against the wall and watch the grave get deeper.

Vesth
2016-07-11, 10:44 AM
With the rest watching, the priest and the half orc get to work, shoveling dirt until there's a sizable hole in the ground. The task is long and tiring, but Donavich seems to take solace in the mindlessness of the digging.

After the burial, Donavich tries to lead everyone in a group prayer to the Morning-lord, the hoarse voice speaking of peace and the end of suffering. There is no wish for a good afterlife, just prayers and hopes that his soul may leave Barovia safely.

He then guides the party back to the entrance, wincing slightly each and every time the voice screams from under the church. He touches a hand on each of your shoulders, offering a brief prayer to each in turn.

"Farewell. I wish all the best for you. If Vallaki fails..." he looks at Ireena. "Consider going to the Abbey of Saint Markovia in Krezk. They are good and kind folk." He takes his leave, and walks back into the church. As the doors swing shut behind him, you see his form walking slowly to the altar, no doubt praying for guidance once again.

Ismark and Ireena are both quiet and lost in thought as they finally lead you out of the village.

---

Following the Old Svalich Road westwards, you find a river, flowing as clear as a blue winter sky. An arching stone bridge spans the river here, and Ismark relaxes a bit as you cross the bridge.

Leaving the river behind, you find that the well-worn road splits in two a little further ahead. A signpost stands here, pointing off in three directions: Barovia Village to the east, Tser Pool to the northwest and Ravenloft/Vallaki to the southwest. Opposite the signpost is an old wooden gallows creaking in the wind. A frayed length of rope dances from it's beam.

Across from the gallows, a low wall, crumbling in places, partially encloses a small plot of graves shrouded in fog.

"We should go northwest." Ireena says as she looks at the signpost. "it's a shortcut. Faster and safer."

Townopolis
2016-07-11, 11:13 AM
Moranog

Once the party has crossed the bridge, the half-orc readies his shield in his usual fashion and keeps it on his arm as a matter of course. He also takes the van as a matter of course until the party reaches a fork in the road. At Ireena's suggestion, he takes a few steps to the northwest, taking the road to Tser pool. But then he stops and turns to quirk an eyebrow at Erik.

Hyram

Before leaving Barovia, Hyram disappears for several minutes. When he returns, he's somehow acquired several clean linen bandages, some clear alcohol, a small jar of honey, needle & thread, and a small pot of foxglove ointment. He quickly catches up with the party and places himself somewhere near the center of the group, perhaps between Ireena and the half-orc.

Someone should have a healer's kit. Remind me to pay him back once Moranog has more than 0cp to his name.

Zergrinch
2016-07-11, 11:24 AM
Zuu follows in silence. Clearly, there is much to consider in this strange land he is apparently trapped in. His every impulse bades him to exterminate evil wherever he can find it, but it seems overpowering, almost omnipresent in Barovia.

As the lady suggests a shortcut, the warlock shakes his head. Shortcuts are shortcuts for a reason: they are fraught with peril; otherwise they would form part of the main route.

Belac93
2016-07-11, 12:27 PM
"Wadder we doin'?" Old lady Bags asks, staring at the young lady accompanying them, "Northwest aint a proper direction. Should be north, or west, but not northwest! That's jus' wrong." She seems quite upset about this.

Townopolis
2016-07-11, 01:38 PM
Although the half-orc is initially inclined to follow Ireena's suggestion, he will defer to Erik's lead and support Erik's preference should the other warrior state one. If Erik has no strong preference, the half-orc still doesn't care enough to fight the other party members on a decision and will take point on whichever road the group chooses.

Gonna be at work for the next ~9 hours. Don't wait up.

Lank
2016-07-11, 06:43 PM
"Short cuts are fine, no reason to take the long way".

Anvorwulf seems a lot more cheery than he was back in the town. The issue with the old lady and the child as well the poor sod underneath the church left a bad taste in his mouth so he was sure glad to be away from that town and out in the wilderness, where he felt more at home anyway.

"Relax Zuu, you scared of a few creepy crawlies along the road?"

Vesth
2016-07-11, 10:21 PM
As the adventures get ready to leave, Ismark raises his hand, looking around warily. "Something's not right. I can feel it...wait, over there." He draws his longsword and slowly approaches the low wall.

You hear a faint scritching and scratching a sound that only intensifies as Ismark gets nearer and nearer...and then stops abruptly when Ismark is 10 feet away from the wall.

There is absolute silence as a stands of straw rise from behind the low wall, followed by a sack of cloth with two, red, gleaming eyes. The creature stands to its full height, a man of cloth and straw, with long, rusted knives for claws and a gut stuffed full of dead ravens. Fresh blood drips from the claws and the ravens.

Clack clack clack clack clack clack clack

It sounds almost like laughing, but you soon realize to your horror that it's not coming from the creature. It's coming from two more behind you.

Creature
http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/7/4/23742956/1524126_orig.png
Map
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11G09wx1PJF43b7_ELvFwVcjdDVIb1Oe-5FVeAh5ZAmw/edit#slide=id.p

Roll initiative!
If it's higher than [roll0], you may act.

Townopolis
2016-07-11, 11:12 PM
Moranog

The half-orc doesn't even see the scarecrow near Ismark. Before it begins to climb over the wall, something in the air catches the half-orc's nose. He sniffs at it and looks over to his left in time to see one of the other two scarecrows rising, or approaching, whichever it is. His eyes flare wide in alarm, and he instinctively reaches for his sword with a cry of "Ambush!"

He doesn't attack immediately. He takes just long enough to take stock of the sudden appearance. He sees the dead ravens, and the blood dripping out of their sackcloth bodies. He sees the gleaming eyes, and he sees the creature laughing at them. He surmises they are not friendly. He chooses the path of aggression.

Shield raised, and sword held high, the half-orc charges the nearest scarecrow and turns his momentum into a fierce downward slash. He doesn't know if he can hurt these things, or if he can hurt them well, but he's going to try.

Move as shown on the map.
Draw longsword.
Attack S3.
[roll0]
[roll1] | [roll2]

Zergrinch
2016-07-11, 11:59 PM
Zuu, being a rather paranoid sort, is not at all surprised to get ambushed by creepie crawlies. He is quick to react, whipping around his hand towards the most proximate scarecrow. The area around it begins to spontaneously combust!

"Okay, Anvy. There's some creepie crawlies, why don't you go say hi?"

Cast Create Bonfire cantrip in S3's space. S3 must succeed on a DC15 DEX save: [roll0] or take [roll1] fire damage.

Note: Create Bonfire is a concentration spell lasting 1 minute - every time a creature enters the space or ends its turn there, it must save or take damage. Therefore, Moranog should keep it there if he can :)

Result: 8 damage to S3. Or more, if it's vulnerable to fire :smallcool:

Vesth
2016-07-12, 09:58 AM
The moment the adventurers realize the scarecrows were so close to the party, Moranog and Zuu burst into action. With Moranog distracting the scarecrow with wild swings, Zuu lights it up into a burst of flame. The creature stumbles out of the flames, clearly hurt and burning. "I've got this!" Ireena shouts as she charges forward, blade digging deep into the sackcloth. It ignores her and continues to maul the half-orc.

Meanwhile, Zuu's attention is elsewhere as he looks down one of the other scarecrows. It stares straight at him, making the clack clack clack clack sound as its head tilts to the side...and continues moving until it has made one complete rotation. Darkness seems to pour from the creature, a darkness that reaches out to Zuu...

A short distance to the east, Ismark expertly trades blows with the last scarecrow. both taking damage as they duel each other to the death.

Scarecrow attacks Ismark:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Scarecrow uses Terrifying Glare on Zuu:
Zuu must succeed on DC11 Wisdom Saving throw or be magically frightened until the end of the scarecrow's next turn. The frightened target is paralyzed.

Burning Scarecrow attacks Moranog:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

---

Ismark attacks Scarecrow:

Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]

Ireena attacks Burning Scarecrow:

Attack: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]

Damage taken:
Burning Scarecrow: 18 damage.
Ismark's Scarecrow: 5 damage.

Ismark: 11 damage.

Map
https://docs.google.com/presentation...dit#slide=id.p

Everyone may act

The_Admiral
2016-07-12, 10:18 AM
Erik was the last to leap into battle, drawing his hammer and bringing it down upon the farming implement, appropriate he thought as it was what was used to drive it into the ground.

STAHP HAMMERTIME!
Feinting Attack

Highest Roll
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Zergrinch
2016-07-12, 10:19 AM
A wave of memories assault the half elf as the scarecrow reminds him of the horrible visage of the fiend that once held his soul. The warlock remains rooted to the spot, unable to act due to extreme fright!

If the burning scarecrow moved, don't the ones adjacent get an opportunity attack? 😀

Townopolis
2016-07-12, 10:31 AM
Hyram

It seems Hyram has forgotten quite what it's like to adventure. He briefly freezes up when the scarecrows appear. The moment passes, however, as his companions all engage the monsters in battle. Remembering himself, Hyram reaches back and readies his crossbow. With a quick look around, he assesses the situation and concludes that the scarecrow engaged with Moranog will be the first to die. He scurries northward to put more distance between himself and the other two scarecrows, then looses a bolt at the one he really hopes dies first.

Ready crossbow.
Move and Dash to the position shown.
And the firing his crossbow.
[roll0]
[roll1] | [roll2]
[roll3] | [roll4]
On a hit, the scarecrow becomes sheathed in booming energy and takes [roll5] if it willingly moves before Hyram's next turn.

Moranog

The scarecrow's first flurry of attacks are predictable, and the half-orc evades them easily, but when the scarecrow bursts into flames it is at least startling. The half-orc seems taken by surprise, and the scarecrow is able to get one hit in. Its knife-like claws rake the half-orc's exposed sides. Two red lines appear on the half-orc's flank. They're short and thin, and the blood doesn't even begin to ooze out. Truth be told, they have the look of scratches from a kitten's claws, and the half-orc pays them just as much heed.

He hacks and slashes at the scarecrow for a second, and then another. He parries the swipes of its claws and retaliates in kind.

Attacking the Scarecrow in front of him, rolls in the OOC thread.

Sheath sword as free item interaction.
Grappling the scarecrow.
[roll6] VS. [roll7]
Dragging scarecrow 5' "up" as shown on map. Also, the scarecrow can't move unless it uses its action and wins a new athletics contest against Moranog.
Since Moranog won the contest, the scarecrow will have to make a DC whatever [roll8] or take [roll9]

Belac93
2016-07-12, 11:19 AM
Bags shrieks, "L҉̞a̧͙̙̫̼̰̬ͅu̷̠̺g̴h҉̖̠̝̟ ͔̭̤̀a̖̩͖͙͕̱̖͢t̹́ ̱̹̪̰̩̦͇͜t̲̠͓̝̬hi̢s̜̲̥̭͚͡ ͚͞y̥͚̹̗e͔͔͖̯͈͍̝ o̟̳̪͔v̼̫̗̤̣èr̨̹̣̦s̖͖i̡̮̲̝ͅz̟̩͇è̹̣̹̩̳͚ͅḍ͇̙̮̕ͅ ̠̦ ̨̹d̥̺̯̺̪o̠̜͇̪̘͎̬͘l͎̯̰̬l̪͈!̩̣̲̝͠" she yells as she takes out several moldy tarts and a turkey feather, waving them around in the air.

The map is giving me a 404 error when I try to get to it. However, Bags will make sure that there is an ally between her and all scarecrows, and then she casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter on the furthest one.

DC 13 Wisdom saving throw, or be incapacitated and prone for 1 minute. At the end of it's turn, or when it takes damage, it can make another saving throw. The saving throw has advantage if it was triggered by damage.

Lank
2016-07-12, 06:57 PM
Anvorwulf launches Frostbite at one of the scarecrows, specificly the one that is not burning.

Casting Frostbite. Target must succeed on a DC 13 Con save or take [roll0] cold damage and have disadvantage on its next attack.

Sorry about the short post, in a bit of a rush to get ready for work.

Vesth
2016-07-12, 08:44 PM
Whle Moranog and the burning scarecrow stand toe to toe, trading blow after blow, Ireena darts in and out, her blade flashing as she manages to score a few minor hits.

Meanwhile, the scarecrow tries to advance on the defenseless Zuu, but Lank's bolt causes it to pause. Sensing an opportunity, Erik jumped to his aid. However, Erik's blow, which didn't seem to do much to the scarecrow, was immediately countered with two long gashes on his chest.

To the side, Ismark calls out thanks to Bags, as her spell allowed him to wreak havoc on the twitching scarecrow.

Burning Scarecrow attacks Moranog:
Damage: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Zuu's Scarecrow attacks Erik:
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Ismark's Scarecrow tries to cast Terrifying Glare on Ismark:
Save for Spell: [roll8]
If succeed:
Ismark's Saving Throw: [roll9]

Save (for laughter spell, end of turn): [roll10]

--

Ireena attacks Burning Scarecrow:
Attack: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]

Ismark attacks his scarecrow:
Attack: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Save (for laughter spell): [roll15]

Attack: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Save (for laughter spell): [roll18]

Damage Taken
Burning Scarecrow: 25 damage.
Zuu's Scarecrow: 7 damage.
Ismark's Scarecrow: 9 damage.

Erik: 9 damage.

Map

Belac93
2016-07-12, 09:36 PM
"H̭ḁ̻̥n͠d̫̦̠̼͟ͅ ̗o̧͉͈̯̠̯̘̞f̰̱̖̲̕ ̗d҉̥̬̥e̡̘̬a̘̩̖͟t̵̺̺̟͔̮ͅh͚͇͚̫̠͞.͓͖͇" The old lady says, and a skeletal, rotted hand claws it's way out of the dirt, trying to scratch the scarecrow.

Ginger seems to be in a bit of a state, as his fur is beginning to fall off as he hisses.

Casting Chill Touch on #1

[roll0]
[roll1]
On a hit, it cannot regain hit points until the start of Bags's next turn. If it is undead, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against Bags until the end of her next turn.

Townopolis
2016-07-12, 11:02 PM
Moranog

Bristling with confidence, his head full of eyeballs, the half-orc drops into a syncopated rhythm of trading parries with the scorched scarecrow. He swings. He parries. He counterattacks. There's nothing fancy or beautiful in his sword-and-shieldwork, just workmanlike cuts, thrusts, and bashes. And he neither lets out a battlecry nor engages in witty repartee, but fights on in relative silence and slowly circles the scarecrow.

Ye olde basic attack routine.
[roll0] Target: 3
[roll1], [roll2]
Move 1 square 'down'.

Hyram

Similarly, Hyram fights quietly. He deftly reloads his crossbow and looses a bolt at the same singed scarecrow. While loading, he does take careful stock of the situation around him--the act of drawing his crossbow and setting a bolt is easy enough to leave to the memory in his arms--and he remains alert for all but the second or so it takes him to aim and loose.

Move one square to the right.
[roll3] Target: 3
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]
Dodge as a bonus action.

Zergrinch
2016-07-14, 02:37 AM
His momentary fright having dissipated, the warlock continues his assault on the burning scarecrow by conjuring a bonfire beneath it!

Create Bonfire in S3's space. S3 must pass a DC15 DEX save [roll0] or take [roll1] fire damage.

As always, spell is a concentration spell, and the creature must save every turn, if it enters the square, or stays there.

Zergrinch
2016-07-14, 02:43 AM
His momentary fright having dissipated, the warlock continues his assault on the burning scarecrow by conjuring a bonfire beneath it!

Create Bonfire in S3's space. S3 must pass a DC15 DEX save [roll0] or take [roll1] fire damage.

As always, spell is a concentration spell, and the creature must save every turn, if it enters the square, or stays there.

The_Admiral
2016-07-14, 03:00 AM
Erik winced as the claw dragged across his chest, again he attack, attempting to bring down the creature before it could do the same to him.

[roll0]

Damage
[Roll]1d8+3[/roll[

Lank
2016-07-14, 03:03 AM
Anvorwulf curses in Giant at the scarecrows and tries again. Hoping to give Erik some kind of advantage over the scarecrow he is fighting he decides to launch his frostbite at it.

Scarecrow 2 must make a DC13 Con save or take [roll0] cold damage and have disadvantage on his next attack until the end of his next turn.

Vesth
2016-07-14, 07:39 AM
The scarecrow slowly approaches Moranog, the half-orc's longsword barely doing any damage. It takes another step forward. Hyram's bolt lodges into its head, but it doesn't even slow. And as it raises one claw, dripping with blood...it suddenly bursts into flames and crumples onto the ground. The fire licks away at the unmoving construct, quickly destroying the body.

With Erik and Ismark battling their respective scarecrows, Anvorwulf and Bags fire off their spells. The sorcerer's ice bolt scores a direct hit...and Bag's skeletal hand does one better, the rotted hand tearing the scarecrow a new one. Ireena barely spends a moment watching the scarecrow die...and then rushes off to help Erik.

Scarecrow attacks Erik:
Attack: [roll1] (Disadvantage)
Damage: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Scarecrow attacks Ismark:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

--

Ireena attacks Scarecrow:
Attack: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]

Ismark attacks Scarecrow:
Attack: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]

Attack: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]

Damage taken:
Burning Scarecrow: DEAD.
Zuu's Scarecrow: 22 damage.
Ismark's Scarecrow: 24 damage.

Map

Everyone may act

Belac93
2016-07-14, 09:21 AM
Bags sits on the ground and starts playing with a piece of string as the hand she summoned runs and attacks Zuu's scarecrow, jumping up and tearing at it. "Stoopid scarecrows" she mutters.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The_Admiral
2016-07-14, 09:29 AM
As the scarecrow strikes at him, Erik moves, stepping aside with a quick attack, and moving in to deliver a powerful blow, feinting at the last second.

1 Sup dice for a free attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Normal attack
[roll2]
[roll3]

Zergrinch
2016-07-14, 10:06 AM
Zuu watches with satisfaction as the nearest scarecrow bursts into flames. Deciding that there was no need to change a winning strategy, the warlock refocuses the bonfire to appear underneath the scarecrow being tanked by Ismark. His comrades seem to have the scarecrow that made him freeze in battle like a chump well and truly manhandled, after all.

Create Bonfire under S3. DC15 DEX save [roll0] or take [roll1] fire damage. As always, the damage is repeated every round that Zuu maintains concentration..

Zergrinch
2016-07-14, 10:07 AM
Zuu watches with satisfaction as the nearest scarecrow bursts into flames. Deciding that there was no need to change a winning strategy, the warlock refocuses the bonfire to appear underneath the scarecrow being tanked by Ismark. His comrades seem to have the scarecrow that made him freeze in battle like a chump well and truly manhandled, after allCreate Bonfire under S1. DC15 DEX save [roll0] or take [roll1] fire damage. As always, the damage is repeated every round that Zuu maintains concentration..

Townopolis
2016-07-14, 11:15 AM
Moranog
The half-orc backs away from the burning scarecrow and watches as it collapses into a fiery heap. A moment later, he has already turned and rushes to Erik's side. He charges in with his shield raised, then quickly shifts his shield aside to stab at the scarecrow's belly upon arrival.

Move as shown. Attacking "Zuu's scarecrow."
[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2]

Hyram

For his part, Hyram turns instead to the scarecrow battling Ismark. He hurries over to closer range, reloads his crossbow, and looses a bolt in that direction.

Move about 20' southeast. Attacking "Ismark's scarecrow."
[roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]

Then steps back 5', to his shown position.

Lank
2016-07-14, 07:17 PM
Anvorwulf smirks when his last attack hits the scarecrow. "These scarecrows really suck at their job of scaring things". Anvorwulf lets loose more frostbite at any of the remaining scarecrows in a hope to finish them off.

Scarecrow must make a DC13 Con save or take [roll0] cold damage and have disadvantage on his next attack until the end of his next turn.

Vesth
2016-07-14, 10:01 PM
DC13 Con Save: [roll0]

Ireena's Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Vesth
2016-07-14, 10:12 PM
With eyes full of burning hate, the scarecrow wheels around, claws flashing as it continues its deadly dance with Ismark dodging and blocking. Ismark's blade barely did anything, his slices easily cutting through sackcloth but not slowing the creature down, while the scarecrow's claws left deep gashes in his body.

Zuu takes one look at that scarecrow and blows it up to smithereens.

Off to the side, Erik continues this same dance with the final scarecrow. After another solid blow, he feints to the side, letting Bag's skeletal hand do its thing. It spins around in the blow, and Moranog uses the opportunity to impale the creature.

Clack clack clack clack clack...

Using one hand, it holds the longsword in its belly and uses the other to reach out to Moranog...and then Anvorwulf's ice bolt blows a hole clean through its head, and it finally slumps over, dead.

Ireena sighs, wiping the sweat from her forehead. "Well then, shall we get going?"

Damage Taken

Townopolis
2016-07-14, 10:20 PM
After giving the scarecrow a few more hacks just to make sure it's dead, the half-orc kneels to wipe the blood and raven grue off his blade on the creature's sackcloth torso. He is careful and sure to get the blade quite clean before sheathing it. When he rises, he nods and says "Yes." But before heading down either road, he looks at Erik and asks "Which way?"

The road still diverges before them. To the northwest, Ireena's "shortcut" is purported to be faster and safer, while the more popular main route goes off to the southwest.

The_Admiral
2016-07-14, 10:41 PM
"we're taking the shortcut, the map agrees with her" Erik says as he holsters his hammer.

Townopolis
2016-07-14, 10:55 PM
Without ceremony, save a nod and a grunt, the half-orc turns to the shortcut and leads the way. He will resume his position at the van of the party, and his shield never leaves his arm. From time to time, he may mumble or hum to himself, but never anything discernible and never anything to the rest of the party.

Behind him, Hyram walks abreast of Ireena or Ismark, whichever of the two is in front. This time, the gnome keeps his crossbow loaded and ready, and his eyes and ears (and nose, for that matter) alert for signs of danger--you know, a strange man looking in a shop window two doors behind you every time you look over your shoulder... pretty halfling girls who are far too attracted to a middle-aged gnome... the crowd quietly thinning around you as everyone who isn't you slips into a shop or alleyway... that sort of thing.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vesth
2016-07-15, 12:07 AM
The road gradually disappears and is replaced by a twisted, muddy path through the trees. Deep ruts in the earth are evidence of the comings and goings of wagons. The canopy of mist and branches suddenly give way to black clouds boiling far above.

There is a clearing here, next to a river that widens to form a small lake several feet in diameter, are pitched outside a ring of four barrel-topped wagons. A much larger tent stands near the shore of the lake, its sagging form lit from within. Near this tent, eight unbridled horses drink from the river.

The mournful strains of an accordion clash with the singing of several brightly clad figures around a bonfire. A footpath continues beyond this encampment, meandering north between the river and the forest's edge.

"Ah, you're finally here!" One of the figures call out, having spotted you. "Come *hic* and sit with us. There's stories...food...wine...more than enough to go around!"

The_Admiral
2016-07-15, 12:09 AM
"Finally? Who is expecting us?" Erik asks, hand vanishing under his cloak, grasping his hammer.

Vesth
2016-07-15, 12:27 AM
The man stands up and wobbles a bit, clearly drunk. "Madam...*hic* Madam Eva." He points to the largest tent. "She foretold your coming, and awaits you there."

Belac93
2016-07-15, 12:30 AM
"Finally, some decent people!" Bags says happily, going to the tent. As she does, she pets Ginger, and one of his ears falls off. Neither of the two seem to notice.

Townopolis
2016-07-15, 12:33 AM
The half-orc slows as the Vistani troupe comes into view. He observes the wagons, tent, and horses without comment and then focuses his attention on the nomads themselves."Vistani" he comments in a low voice before coming within earshot of the group around the fire. Then, as the party approaches the campsite, the half-orc relaxes slightly. He is pretty clearly still on alert, as if he doesn't quite trust these people, but he doesn't scan the bushes for ambushes. Instead, he tries to pick out their leader... and gives the whole group a nod of greeting when he fails at that.

He tries not to let the impending downpour distract him.

[roll0]

Zergrinch
2016-07-15, 02:13 AM
While en route, Zuu ignites every scarecrow he sees, to deny those nasty evil spirits of any shells to inhabit. He doesn't quite let down his guard even after stumbling across the caravan group. Instead, he studies then quite suspiciously; Zuu Greenbrook is not a Patsy who believes the first prophecy he hears.

What's your angle, suspicious guys??? Insight: [roll0]

Lank
2016-07-15, 03:19 AM
Never one to turn down free food and booze Anvorwulf approaches the strangers. "Seems like this path paid off, great to finally meet someone who isn't homicidal or made of straw around here".

Anvorwulf warms his hands by the fire.

"I would very much like to speak to her".

Vesth
2016-07-15, 07:11 AM
For Zuu
They seem truthful, even if a bit drunk. They seem to genuinely belive that Madam Eva can see the future, at any rate.

Magic flames cast a reddish glow over the interior of this tent, revealing a low table covered in a black velvet cloth. Glints of light seem to flash from a crystal all on the table as a hunched figure peers into the depths. As the crone speaks, her voice crackles like dry weeds. "At last, you have arrived!" Cackling laughter bursts like mad lightning from her withered lips. "Would you like your fortunes read?"

Madam Eva Picture
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/styles/inline_block_multiple/public/images/inline-block-multiple/CurseofStrahd_thumb.jpg?itok=hVt6ziLM

Lank
2016-07-15, 07:22 AM
Anvorwulf interest peaks with the idea of a reading. "Ooooooh! Do me, do me!"
He walks forward towards the woman. "Good fortune I hope."

The_Admiral
2016-07-15, 07:24 AM
"We don't have a chance to say no don't we?" he replies, stepping forward with a sigh. It was better to play along with these cryptic witches, especially if they had power.

Vesth
2016-07-15, 08:37 AM
Madam Eva cackles again. "Let's see, shall we?"

The light in the room seems to darken as she pulls out a strange deck of cards. She splits the deck in two and two again, and shuffles them together with practiced ease. Her head bows as she finally sets aside the deck on the table between you. When she raises her head again, you notice that the pupils from her eyes are gone.

"This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient will help you better understand your enemy." She gently pulls out the first card and lays it on the table.

http://i.imgur.com/KRHOggJ.png

"Look for a wizard's tower on a lake. Let the wizard's name and servant guide you to that which you seek."

Without stopping, she flips over a second card, placing it near the top right corner of the first. "This card tells of a powerful force for good and protection, a holy symbol of great hope."

http://i.imgur.com/R91LT1n.png

"Look to a place where sickness and madness are bred. Where children once cried, the treasure lies still."

She turns to flip over the third card, placing it to the bottom left hand corner of the second. "This is a card of power and strength. It tells of a weapon of vengeance: a sword of sunlight."

http://i.imgur.com/UZJKCnV.png

"I see...a dead village, drowned by a river, ruled by one who has brought great evil into the world."

Her hands start to slow as she picks up the fourth card, completing the diamond formation. "This card is of allies and friends."

http://i.imgur.com/6ILegMm.png

"Find a girl driven to insanity, locked in the heart of her dead father's house. Curing her madness is key to your success."

She picks up one final card and stops. Her body starts to shake a bit and she slides the card in the center of the rest. "This card...this card is of your enemy." she says, sounding exhausted.

http://i.imgur.com/Rcx05Rq.png

"The one you need to seek...he haunts the tomb of the man he envied above all."

Card Formation
http://i.imgur.com/9DjtJYR.jpg

The_Admiral
2016-07-15, 08:59 AM
Erik's smile was thin and grim as he listened to the reading. As it finished he joked, "Dibs on the blade." staring at the cards, committing each and the witch's explanation to memory.

Townopolis
2016-07-15, 11:24 AM
When he enters Eva's tent, coming in last after everyone else, the half-orc unreadies his shield and hangs it over his shoulder. He waits and looms in the back all through the reading, and he half pays attention. The other half is clearly waiting for something. His eyes frequently focus on Eva's face and only turn down to look at each card when it is place. As Eva shudders with exhaustion upon placing the final card, the half-orc also seems to sag. A soft, low growl of disappointment escapes the half-orcs throat afterward, and he becomes impatient and soon turns to lift the flap at the entrance and peer outside at the sky and road they had been taking.

Belac93
2016-07-15, 01:54 PM
"Thank you, Eva." Bags says, patting the woman on the back. "May we rest here the night? It would be safer than by ourselves." Ginger jumps out of her hands and struts out of the tent, and sits haughtily beside Moranog. The black cat then begins cleaning himself, the ragged fur falling off quicker now.

Vesth
2016-07-15, 09:02 PM
Ireena looks shocked at Bag's suggestion. "Rest here for the night? It's only midday! We barely traveled at all!" Her voice drops to a whisper. "And besides...these are Vistani. We'll be safer in Vallaki."

Madam Eva chuckes. "Stay as long as you want, my dears. Just remember, the world doesn't wait for you. And Featherbeard!" She calls out, as you begin to leave. She draws another card cheerfully, all signs of her previous exhaustion gone.

http://i.imgur.com/U5lE8tV.jpg

"'Ware an ally past, now no friend of yours."

Zergrinch
2016-07-15, 09:28 PM
Zuu pokes his head into the tent, highly skeptical of any supposed fortunetellers. She could probably discern his profession and abilities by deduction and observation alone, but she would never, ever discern the name of his goblin ally, Fizxeez, or its sobriquet that it has brought to the Bloods Honor guild, One-One-Eye.

"Tell me, Madam, what do your cards say happened of my green friend?"

Vesth
2016-07-15, 10:08 PM
"Oh my dear." she says with a chuckle, clearly amused. "I'm a fortune teller, not a history teller. I cannot tell you what has already happened, only what is to happen."

Zergrinch
2016-07-15, 10:09 PM
"True enough, but I lost track of him. What do your cards say of his future?"

Lank
2016-07-15, 11:00 PM
"With any luck that pesky goblin is rotting in a ditch somewhere, I always hated him" Anvorwulf sneers.

"Traitors aye, last thing we need is someone backstabbing us".

Vesth
2016-07-15, 11:12 PM
She flips over another card.

Note: The card is labeled "Guild Master". Yes, these were all randomly drawn. It's really quite a coincidence, isn't it? Picture coming later, when have computer.

"I see him among allies that were not his, with power that isn't his, working together for a goal that will never be his."

"Now leave me," she says, indicating the entrance to the tent, "An old lady needs her rest."

"Besides, there is a gift for you in the wagon nearest this. A token to show that even if the Vistani ally with your enemy, that doesn't mean that they have to be yours too." she gives Ireena a knowing smile, who huffs in response.

Zergrinch
2016-07-16, 12:02 AM
Zuu gives the woman a couple nod and exits the tent. So the inquisitive goblin is off experimenting with powers beyond his own ken, is he? That would completely be in keeping with Fizxeez's inquisitive nature, and predilection for getting in over his head. That is, if the woman is a true seer. And Zuu is not quite convinced, yet!

Giving Anvorwulf a nudge, Zuu rolls his eyes. "As always, your racism is refreshing. Just what would it take you to finally trust him, you boob?" he asks dryly.

Townopolis
2016-07-16, 12:40 AM
Waiting outside, the half-orc has crouched down to massage the top of Ginger's head with one thick finger. He looks up when the others emerge. "I hope you found that enlightening" he says, a sullen taint creeping into his voice. He gives Ginger a parting scritch between the air before he stand. Then, after picking out the hair and bit of dead cat flesh that got stuck under his fingernail from that ill-advised head-scritch, he readies his shield.

"We should move again if you want to reach Vallaki before sunset, like he wants" he says, sounding less sullen again. A tilt of his head in Erik's direction clarifies who "he" is.

Belac93
2016-07-16, 11:12 AM
"Hokay, seems good to me." Bags says, as Ginger contentedly trots back.

Vesth
2016-07-16, 11:13 AM
If you approach the wagon that Madam Eva said had a gift for you:

The wagon is filled with odds and ends, from pots to a colorful feather attached to a felt hat. In the middle of the wagon is an elegant longsword, with the words Charity engraved along the side of the blade. There is also a small black pouch next to the blade.

As you leave the encampment behind, Ismark takes the lead. The path splits ahead, and he guides you along the left path, up and away from the river. You follow the dirt road as it clings to the side of a mountain and ends before an arching bridge of mold-encrusted stone that spans a natural chasm. Gargoyles cloaked in black moss perch on the corners of the bridge, their frowns weatherworn. On the mountainous side of the bridge, a waterfall spills into a misty pool nearly a thousand feet below. The pool feeds a river that meanders into the fog-shrouded pines that blanket the valley.

Townopolis
2016-07-16, 12:09 PM
Hyram

As the party gets ready to depart, Hyram approaches one of the Vistani outside. "Madame Eva said she had a gift for us in one of your wagons?" he mentions to the Vistani, turning the statement into a question to let the Vistani know he's asking to be shown the gift in question rather than just raiding the wagon for whatever he wants.

Then, gift in hand, he moves to his usual position near the middle of the party. The sword he hands to one of the warriors up front. He himself will hold onto the black pouch at least long enough to investigate its contents.

I'm assuming both the sword and the pouch are gifts. The sword will go to either Erik or Moranog. If Erik is calling dibs on the implied sunblade, I'd say Charity should be Moranog's, but I could be convinced otherwise.

For the pouch: [roll0]

The_Admiral
2016-07-16, 12:21 PM
"Thank you, my hammer did not seem to be doing much damage..." he says, accepting Charity.

The dibs was mostly a joke in charachter but my logic is Erik needs a different damage type, bludgeoning is not dping it damage wise.

Vesth
2016-07-16, 07:29 PM
As Erik takes Charity, the weapon glows for a little bit. before the light fades. The words Katarina appear in cursive along the hilt. The pouch contains two potions of healing and a sack of 100ep (each coin stamped with Strahd's visage in profile).

For Erik
It is a +1 longsword. You also sense a slight enchantment from the blade, but you can't quite tell what it is.

After several miles of travelling, the Old Svalich Road transitions from being a winding path to a lazy trail that hugs the mountainside as it descends into a fog-filled valley. In the heart of the valley, you see a walled town near the shores of a great mountain lake, its waters dark and still. A branch in the road leads west to a promontory, atop which is perching a dilapidated stone windmill, its warped wooden vanes stripped bare.

The onion-domed edifice leans forward and to one side, as though trying to turn away from the stormy gray sky. You see gray brick walls and dirt-covered windows on the upper floors. A decrepit wooden platform encircles the windmill above a flimsy doorway leading to the building's interior. Perched on a wooden beam above the door is a raven. It hops about and squawks at you, seemly agitated.

Zergrinch
2016-07-16, 07:34 PM
Irritated by the squawking animal, Zuu idly sends a magical blast in its general direction.

Eldritch Blast. [roll0]. Damage: [roll1] [roll2]

Belac93
2016-07-16, 08:39 PM
Bags very carefully divides up the ep among the group.

When she sees Zuu attack the raven, she marches up to him and hits the man across the face. "Do not attack ravens!" she scolds him, "It is a little squawking, there is no harm done to you. Keep away from it."

Townopolis
2016-07-17, 12:04 AM
The half-orc keeps silence for the hour or so of travel after they leave the Vistani behind. He seems to brood over something at first. Then he seems more interested in whether or not those dark clouds he saw up-above are going to produce any rain. Eventually, he just lets it all go and focuses on keeping an eye out while the group travels through the mountains.

As the group draws near the windmill on its promontory, the half-orc surveys the group with his gaze. Zuu's lashing out against a random ravens earns a quirked eyebrow from him, but the half-orc seems more interested in Hyram, Ireena, and Ismark's freshness. "Anyone footsore?" he asks, and his free hand lazily indicates the promontory and (and, by extension, the windmill) "might be a fair place to rest, eat," and he suddenly grins before finishing "massage your feet."

By my reckoning, it shouldn't be much past noon. At the normal travel rate of 3mph, we'll have been walking for only 3 hours total since Barovia. If the mountains are considered "difficult terrain" for traveling, it's still only 4 hours. If we got out of Barovia at 9am, it'll be noon or 1pm. If we didn't get out of bed until 9am, then maybe it'll be 3 or 4pm.

Anyways, we've also been on the road for at least 3 hours, it's probably time for a break. I'm defintely not urging the party to visit the windmill for metagame "there's obviously something adventury going on there" reasons, oh no.

The_Admiral
2016-07-17, 12:33 AM
"I do not believe it to be the correct choice, the windmill seems, dilapidated, it has no protections against vampire intrusions, the town still seems like the safer option." he replied.

Zergrinch
2016-07-17, 12:37 AM
Zuu whirls around to face the old crone, a haunted look on his face.

What if the raven is an evil wizard's familiar? What then??? I am merely exercising prudence!

The_Admiral
2016-07-17, 01:03 AM
"If it was, prudence would be acting as if we did not notice it."

Lank
2016-07-17, 05:37 AM
"I wouldn't trust a goblin to die properly".

---

The loot picks up Anvorwulf's spirits after the disappointment of the traitor card. Anvorwulf counts his money carefully and puts it in his pouch.

---

The walk is fairly upbeat for Anvorwulf, his usual optimism and happy-go-lucky attitude was is evident through his stance and posture. Often looking around at everything interesting that they happen to come across. When the party hits the windmill he is clearly curious. "I say we check out the windmill, I would rather check it and find nothing rather than not check it at all" he says.

Townopolis
2016-07-17, 10:05 AM
The half-orc shrugs and resumes walking down the road to Vallaki. He stops again and says "huh?" when Anvorwulf speaks up, and he gives the windmill another look. But, unable to find anything intriguing about it, he shrugs again and then waits for the group to come to a decision.

If I've read the map correctly, it's another ~5 miles to Vallaki. We might be able to see it from our vantage up in the mountains, but the road twists and turns. We might be able to cut through the woods to save some time, but I don't really see any compelling reason to do so.

Vesth
2016-07-18, 12:22 AM
The old Svalich Road meanders into a valley watched over by dark, brooding mountains to the north and south. The woods recede, revealing a sullen mountain burg surrounded by a wooden palisade. Thick fog presses up against this wall, as though looking for a way inside, hoping to catch the town aslumber.

The dirt road ends at a set of sturdy wooden gates with a pair of shadowy figures standing behind them. Planted in the ground and flanking the road outside the gates are a half-dozen pikes with wolves' heads impaled on them.

"Vallaki! See! Probably...safer." he says, looking concerned as he sees the gory display around the town.

"Halt strangers! What brings you to Vallaki?" one of the guards call out, reading a pike to stab through the closed bars if necessary.

Zergrinch
2016-07-18, 01:26 AM
Hail, guardsman, I am Zuu Greenbrook. We are weary travelers, escorting this young lady to your fine city. We have had trouble on the road, and wish to recuperate over the night before departing.

Townopolis
2016-07-18, 01:43 AM
The half-orc notes the wolf-heads the moment they come within sight, and he immediately does that thing where he loosens his sword in its sheath, but he does not draw it. He does move to the southern side of the road and walks abreast of Ismark the rest of the way to the gates.

In response to the challenge at the gates, the half-orc turns to Ismark and places one large hand on the noble's back to push him, gently, forward. "Go on, present yourself" he says, and then he goes to do the same to Ireena, giving her a little push forward and encouraging her to introduce herself.

As that happens, or as Zuu handles negotiations, the half-orc watches the mistbound woods distractedly. He interrupts his own vigil to approach and poke one of the wolf-heads, examining it for any extraordinary or distinguishing features, but the examination is brief. Afterward, he returns to maintaining alertness against trouble.

Vesth
2016-07-18, 02:51 AM
The guards look over Ireena, and after a brief discussion, decide to let you pass.

"'Ware your step in Vallaki." one of the guards grunt. "And enjoy the upcoming festival."

"Come on. Let's get a room to plan our next steps." Ismark mutters, and with the siblings on guard, they lead you through the streets. The buildings here are very similar to those in Barovia, with the exception of weatherworn garlands hanging from the eaves of several buildings.

Along the way, you notice several areas of interest.

Stockyard
You spot a large stockyard with several locked sheds along its periphery and lying adjacemt to a roomy warehouse. A wooden sign above the front gate reads "Arasek Stockyard".

Parked at the south end of the stockyard is a sturdy carnival wagon, its colorful paint peeling off. Faded lettering on its sides spells out the words "Rictavio's Carnival of Wonders." A heavy padlock secures the back door.

Town Square
Somewhere to the south, you spot a town square, decorated with limp garlands and painted wooden boxes filled with tiny, dead flowers. At the north end of the square stands a row of stocks, locked in which are several men, women and children wearing crude, plaster donkey heads.

In the center of the square, peasants in patchwork clothes use cups and vases to draw water from a crumbling stone fountain. Standing tall at the center of the fountain is a gray statue of an impressive man facing west. All around the square are posted proclamations:

Come one, come all,
to the greatest celebration of the year:
THE WOLF'S HEAD JAMPOREE!
Attendance and children required.
Pikes will be provide.
ALL WILL BE WELL!
--The Baron--

The peasants back away as an ugly man with a spiny, red arm arrives with two guards. One of them tears down every proclamation he could see, while the other pastes a new one:

Come one, come all,
to the greatest celebration of the year:
THE FESTIVAL OF THE BLAZING SUN!
Attendance and children required.
Rain or shine.
ALL WILL BE WELL!
--The Baron--

Strange Shop
Near the inn, you notice a cramped shop, with a wooden sign shaped like a rocking horse, with a "B" engraved on both sides. Flanking the entrance are two arched, lead-framed windows. The windows are extremely dirty, and all you make out is the vague shape of toys. The slogan Is No Fun, Is No Blinsky is written across the windows.

After a short walk, Ismark directs you to a large, two story building with a stone foundation and sagging tile roof, upon which several ravens have perched. A painted wooden sign hanging above the main entrance depicts a blue waterfall.

"Ireena, secure a room and stay in the inn. Adventurers, I thank you for your help so far. Enjoy the town for the rest of the day, I'll see whether I can get an audience with the Burgomaster of Vallaki. I'll be back tonight."

Lank
2016-07-18, 03:36 AM
Anvorwulf seems a little put off from the gory display at the front and the strange proclamations scattered around the town. He elbows Zuu "Am I not the only one who thinks this festival is creepy".
Upon seeing the people in stocks with the donkey heads on Anvorwulf's unnerved attitude is only increased.

After being dismissed by Ismark Anvorwulf will head over to the stocks to try and figure out the meaning of the ceramic donkey heads.

Townopolis
2016-07-18, 10:55 AM
"We should talk" growls the half-orc once Ismark and Ireena have both left for their respective destinations, and then he follows Ireena into the Blue Falls Inn, or whatever it's called. At the door, he looks over his shoulder to see if anyone is following, and then he goes inside and tries to find a large-enough table in a quiet corner.

Vesth
2016-07-18, 07:02 PM
For Those Who Follow Anvorwulf
The commoners eye you suspiciously as you reach the town square, noticing that the man with the red hand and his two guards are gone.

There are three men, two women and two boys trapped in the stocks, an iron padlock securing each set of them.

For those who follow Moranog and Ireena
From the front of the inn, you can see a 3-foot-high stone rim surrounding the mouth of a well. This is next to two staircases; one leading up to the second floor, and the other, just a few steps up to the main entrance. Ireena goes in through the main entrance, giving Moranog a quizzical look.

The tavern is packed with tables and chairs, with narrow paths meandering between them. A bar stretches along one wall, under a balcony that can be reached by a wooden static side that hugs the north wall. All the windows are fitted with thick shutters and crossbars. Lanterns hanging above the bar and resting on the tables bathe the room in a dull orange light and cast shadows upon the walls, most of which are adorned with wolf heads mounted on wooden plaques.

There are about a dozen patrons here, but you manage to find a large empty table to sit at.

A stern-looking woman with grey steaks in her hair approaches your table. "Well, never seen you around before. What will it be?"

eleazzaar
2016-07-19, 12:50 AM
(I'm back, catching up on the thread. Thanks, Townopolis for running Hyram)

Zergrinch
2016-07-19, 10:40 AM
As Anvorwulf makes a beeline for the town stocks, probably sure to cause a ruckus when he tries to set them free, Zuu instead finds his attention drawn towards Blinsky's shop. He first peers into a window in a nondescript fashion to ascertain the types of wares on sale, and especially a brass brazier so he can resummon his hawk familiar.

After hesitating for a moment, the warlock strolls to the threshold of the shop, and knocks on the door.

Townopolis
2016-07-19, 10:50 AM
With another look at the door to confirm that, yes, nobody has followed him in, the half-orc chuckles to himself and then says "what will this get me?" to the stern-faced woman as he plinks an electrum piece on the table.

eleazzaar
2016-07-19, 12:15 PM
For Those Who Follow Anvorwulf

Hyram gestures over at the prisioners, and ask the nearest villager, "So, what did they do?"

The_Admiral
2016-07-19, 12:37 PM
"An ale and an answer to why are there so many wolf heads around." he replied, placing down a coin.

Vesth
2016-07-19, 02:01 PM
For Zuu
A heavyset man wearing a moth-eaten jester's cap looks up from a table full of strange toys- from a headless doll that comes with a sack of attachable heads, including one with its eyes and mouth stitched shut, to several dolls that look remarkably like Ireena.

"Wyelcome, friends, to the House of Blinsky, where hyappiness and smiles can be bought at bargain prices perhaps you know a leetle child in need of joy? A leetle toy for a girl or boy?"

For Anvorwulf and Hyram
"They were arrested for "malicious unhappiness"." the commoner says, keeping a safe distance from you, "Were caught spreading negative opinions of the festival, they were."

For those who followed Moranog
The woman grabs the electrum and looks at both sides. "A bed for the night, or a cooked wolf steak."

A man with similar streaks in his hairs steps out from the kitchen. "And we have Purple Grapemash No. 3, and our specialty, Red Dragon Crush. We're fast running out too, our latest delivery is nowhere to be seen.". He says, indicating three wine barrels behind the bar.

Townopolis
2016-07-19, 02:39 PM
The half-orc plinks down another electrum coin "How about a room, a meal, and something to drink." He pushes the two coins in the goodwife's direction and then turns to face Erik.

"I see it's just you and I. Do you speak for the others?"

Zergrinch
2016-07-19, 07:33 PM
Zuu lets his gaze wander over to the Ireena dolls.

"These are... rather interesting dolls. I could swear I saw someone who looked like it before. Did you make this yourself, Sir Blinsky?" he says, hoping to prod the shopkeep into a conversation.

eleazzaar
2016-07-19, 08:41 PM
With Anvorwulf nearby, Hyram attempt to play the part of an attentive audience eager for the local gossip.

"Complaining about a festival?!? How odd. What did they find to complain about?

And what is your festival like? I'm afraid i've never been to a Festival of the Blazing Sun."

Vesth
2016-07-19, 11:30 PM
For Zuu
"Ohh! Do you lyke it? Eet's not for sale though." he says, putting that doll away. "Izek wants another one, every myonth. Doesn't pay too, but what can I do?"

For Anvorwulf and Hyram
"I...I'm not sure. We have a festival every week now, and the name changes all the time..."

"Keeps the devil Strahd away at least. The burgomaster said so-"

"Bah, it doesn't offer any form of protection whatsoever! It's just a load of-"

"Stay your tongue, or you'll join the people in the stocks...or worse. The burgomaster knows something at least."

"He knows sorcery, or some kind of spell! I know it! There's been purple flashes of light from the attic of his mansion every now and then."

Zergrinch
2016-07-20, 12:00 AM
Noticing that there are several other dolls that look like Ireena, the warlock tries again.

"Izek? Who's that? Oh, how much for this one, then?" he asks, pointing to the closest one.

Are you lying to me? Insight: [roll0]

Lank
2016-07-20, 12:22 AM
"They speak ill of the festival and they wind up in stocks? Wouldn't a time out sufficed?" Anvorwulf is obviously perplexed at the "crime" more than he is about the punishment.

"So what is the deal with the donkey masks then? Just for humiliation or something else? Also how do festivities keep Strahd away, pretty sure Strahd likes festivals as much as anyone else."

Townopolis
2016-07-20, 05:49 PM
While waiting for Erik's response, or for the goodwife to return with his food and drink, the half-orc sets his shield on the seat beside him and adjusts his gear so he can get comfortable in his seat. As he shifts, his gaze idly sweeps over the room. Force of habit has him gauging the individuals he sees. Who seems dangerous? Who looks like they could easily defend themselves? That sort of thing.

[roll0]

The_Admiral
2016-07-21, 05:59 AM
"I don't belive so, no," he replies, narrowing his eyes as he mutters to himself.

"Is there anything other than the festivals that happen on this regular a basis?" he then asks.

Vesth
2016-07-21, 08:36 AM
For Zuu
The man shakes his head. "Not for sale, no! Izek wants them, or he burns down my syhop. He is very powerful man, shoots fire from his fyingers. And! He is left and right hand of Burgomaster."

You don't think he's lying...he's seems like an honest person that won't lie for personal gain.

For Anvorwulf and Hyram
There are some mutters here and there, but Anvorwulf doesn't get a direct response.

For Moranog and Erik
"Festival? Are you talking about the upcoming festival?" A colorfully dressed half-elf sits at your table without permission. "Names' Rictavio, travelling bard at your service. Pretty lady you got there, looks a bit hot-headed, but otherwise fine."

"Hey! Watch it."

"And the two of you look suitably dangerous and scary!" he says, eyeing Moranog and Erik. "What brings you to Vallaki?"

Zergrinch
2016-07-21, 08:40 AM
"Oh, I see. Someone we don't want to cross then," Zuu states gravely. "Since you seem to traffic mainly in hand-carved action figures, would you have any knowledge of where I might procure a brass brazier for my project?"

Townopolis
2016-07-21, 10:37 AM
The half-orc points his thumb in Erik's direction and says "Helping him, for now" as if that clearly and precisely describes his motivations. Then he lapses into his usual silence.

eleazzaar
2016-07-21, 04:37 PM
For Anvorwulf and Hyram
There are some mutters here and there, but Anvorwulf doesn't get a direct response.

"The human is just guessing," Hyram says hastily, but truthfully. "Who doesn't like a good festival? But obviously there is more to your festivals, than we as harmless travelers understand."

Vesth
2016-07-22, 10:40 AM
For Zuu
The man deflates a bit. "I do not know, no. Maybe the burgomaster knows? Or Izek? Izek shoots fire from his hands, myight know some magic."

For Anvorwulf and Hyram
"Well..." one of the commoners say hesitantly. What will happen during the festival is up to the burgomaster. I'm sure you can see for yourself if you stick around. It happens in 2 days, after all."

For Moranog and Erik
"Good talker, huh." Rictavio says without skipping a beat. "So what are you helping him for? Catching some pretty ladies?" he chuckles.

"Since you're probably new to this area, let's cut a deal, yeah? Tell me a bit about yourselves, and I'll spin a tale or two about my exploits...or share some juicy local gossip."

The_Admiral
2016-07-22, 11:08 AM
"Puzzle solving, some crazy old hag sent us on a scavenger hunt."

Townopolis
2016-07-22, 02:01 PM
The half-orc leans back and cradles the back of his head in his hands, although he doesn't clasp his hands or interlock his fingers. In this reclining pose of apparent ease, he cracks a sideways smile at the nosy minstrel. "What is it you'd like to hear about us? And what is it you think we'd like to hear? Stories I've got that would shake your boots right off..." suddenly, he lurches forward so that he is leaning over the table with one elbow resting on the tabletop and the other arm hanging by his side "... but I wouldn't want you to go retelling them poorly, you know?"

Rictavio McNosy**** is far too nosy for my liking.
[roll0]