PDA

View Full Version : Making a thrower

TheCrowing1432
2016-07-05, 12:45 AM
Outside of Master Thrower and Bloodstorm Blade, are there any other classes related to throwing? Or feats for that matter?

I suppose Hulking Hurler is one too, but I dont really like that one, considering its mostly an NPC class and most of the time PC's usually enter it through cheese, and throwing boulders doesnt appeal to me as much as throwing weapons.

Also, are there any interesting throwing weapons? Perhaps exotic ones? I dont want to do the bog standard knives or shuriken.

Sian
2016-07-05, 12:59 AM
There is two obvious routes.

1. Charkam Ricochet from "Forgotten Realms: Champions of Ruin", which makes you able to attack twice as many opponents per turn, while still dealing sneak attack damage

2. Boomerang Daze+Boomerang Ricochet from "Eberron: Races of Eberron", which makes you able to attack twice as many opponents per turn (but unable to sneak attack them all), and forcing Fort DC 10+Damage to attempting to daze opponents.

Draconi Redfir
2016-07-05, 01:07 AM
Javelins and spears are pretty neat throwing weapons. with those spesifically i like to housrule that their AB and damage is determined by your strength score over your DEX since you're more hurling them then flinging them.

Other then that i think thre might be some thrown-disk things somewhere? Can't confirm though.

ekarney
2016-07-05, 01:15 AM
The less commonly suggested route and far more powerful (But surprisingly not cheese) route is Artificer/Alchemist Savant.

Spellvials are the base of the Alchemist Savant and are thrown potions, you're basically a grenadier.

Sian
2016-07-05, 01:18 AM
Other then that i think thre might be some thrown-disk things somewhere? Can't confirm though.

Your thinking of Charkam (which i already mentioned), or more likely Annulat from Planar Handbook, for which their claim to fame is being a Martial Weapon for Neraphim, and reducing cover AC by 2

Cerefel
2016-07-05, 01:30 AM
Don't forget about axes! They can be fairly potent throwing weapons, and are functional in melee if necessary.

2016-07-05, 03:39 AM
As far as thrower PrCs, there's also the Whisperknife from Races Of The Wild (IIRC); my recollection is that it's fairly mediocre, so it's pretty average as far as thrower options goes.

Dayaz
2016-07-05, 04:02 AM
There's Hurling Charge in Miniatures Handbook. Let's you throw a weapon at the end of a charge.

For weapons, there's always the hilarity of using returning bolas on a Master Thrower. Double Toss and The Ricochet maneuver can let you trip all the things every round.

Inevitability
2016-07-05, 01:06 PM
Neraph Throw can add some multiplanar flavor to your character and also allow one flat-footed attack per enemy per combat (for SA or Iaijutsu Focus). I recommend one of the planar martial variants to get the required skill points.

CharonsHelper
2016-07-05, 01:16 PM
Are you talking 3.5 only? Because Pathfinder actually recently came out with a supplement which has several feats which make throwing weapons pretty viable.

Uncle Pine
2016-07-05, 01:31 PM
Hulking Hurlers aren't necessary restricted to boulders. After all, you can Really Throw Anything that you can lift as a light load, you just need to be strong enough for tigers, dire tigers or dire tigers in spiked full plate barding to count as light load.

gorfnab
2016-07-05, 06:06 PM
http://rulestweak.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/83327.jpg
Halflings can be great for throwing based builds, as a character race (Whisperknife prestige class, Races of the Wild) or as ammunition (Fling Ally feat, Races of Stone).

Hulking Hurler + Bloodstorm Blade + Fling Ally + Leadership? :tongue:

Âmesang
2016-07-05, 07:07 PM
Is it possible for a hulking hurler to pick up the landmass that he's standing on?
http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/pages/final/0773.png (http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-773.html#h_read)

ekarney
2016-07-05, 08:44 PM
Hulking Hurlers aren't necessary restricted to boulders. After all, you can Really Throw Anything that you can lift as a light load, you just need to be strong enough for tigers, dire tigers or dire tigers in spiked full plate barding to count as light load.

With LA +2 worth of templates and the right build choices you can have 70str and the ability to throw medium loads.

Dragon attacking a castle? Throw the castle at the dragon.

Kobold infested tower? Throw it into the sea.

Dungeon taking too long? With 70str you can just punch your way out of it.

amdskitzo
2016-07-06, 04:38 AM
I once had the thought of combining Duskblade and Bloodstorm Blade. I brought it up on here before and if I remember correctly, there was some division on whether or not it would work but BSB allows one to treat their thrown attacks as melee, which in theory would allow you to apply arcane channeling.

I also had a similar thought of combining BSB with Alchemist Savant for the same reason. Your spellvials in turn have a spell channeled?