PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feat: Pieces of the Puzzle

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-07-05, 01:47 AM
Purpose of the feat:
1. To grant trapfinding in a campaign where rogues are not present.
2. To make use of 'trap feats' in a slightly different way.

Concept:
I wanted to design a feat that requires you to take terrible feats as a requirement, but gives you a choice in which feats you take and a benefit that scales depending on how many of those feats you take.
Pieces of the Puzzle gives you a menu of benefits to choose from each day. The number of benefits you get to select from that menu depends on how many the required feats you choose to take.
I also built a cheat into it; Alertness is one of the feats you can take in order to benefit from Pieces of the Puzzle. Alertness is bad on its own, but you can gain Alertness as a bonus feat using Psicrystal Affinity.

Pieces of the Puzzle
Benefit: Once per day you may spend 10 minutes in careful study. Then, for each of the following feats you have, select one of the benefits from below and gain that benefit until the end of the day: Alertness, Diligent, Investigator, Nimble Fingers
1. You gain the trapfinding ability
2. You can make Disable Device checks untrained. In addition, you can take 10 on Disable Device checks even when distracted or threatened
3. You gain a +10 insight bonus to Search checks
4. The GM does not make Disable Device checks for you secretly; you may see the result to know whether or not you have succeeded.

nonsi
2016-07-05, 02:19 AM
Purpose of the feat:
1. To grant trapfinding in a campaign where rogues are not present.
2. To make use of 'trap feats' in a slightly different way.

Concept:
I wanted to design a feat that requires you to take terrible feats as a requirement, but gives you a choice in which feats you take and a benefit that scales depending on how many of those feats you take.
Pieces of the Puzzle gives you a menu of benefits to choose from each day. The number of benefits you get to select from that menu depends on how many the required feats you choose to take.
I also built a cheat into it; Alertness is one of the feats you can take in order to benefit from Pieces of the Puzzle. Alertness is bad on its own, but you can gain Alertness as a bonus feat using Psicrystal Affinity.

Pieces of the Puzzle
Benefit: Once per day you may spend 10 minutes in careful study. Then, for each of the following feats you have, select one of the benefits from below and gain that benefit until the end of the day: Alertness, Diligent, Investigator, Nimble Fingers
1. You gain the trapfinding ability
2. You can make Disable Device checks untrained. In addition, you can take 10 on Disable Device checks even when distracted or threatened
3. You gain a +10 insight bonus to Search checks
4. The GM does not make Disable Device checks for you secretly; you may see the result to know whether or not you have succeeded.

Why not just make Trapfinding a feat that requires ranks in Disable Device and Search?

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-07-05, 02:25 AM
Why not just make Trapfinding a feat that requires ranks in Disable Device and Search?

I wanted to try a Voltron approach. Just to be different.
The required feats here are like pieces of a puzzle (as the name of the feat implies.) Each one on its own only shows you a part of the full picture, but when you put them all together you get to see the whole thing.

Obviously, it is in need of revision and refinement. :)