PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Warforged

LairdMaon
2016-07-05, 04:29 AM
I'd like to see your thoughts on a couple ideas, if you don't mind.

First, could a warforged repair/upgrade itself with riverine?
If so, what would the result be?

Second, Renegade Mastermaker shows us that an individual can become a living construct that counts as a warforged while keeping everything else about its previous race. Would it be to much to create a magical device that can "upgrade" a character with living construct?

Pyromancer999
2016-07-05, 06:12 AM
I'd like to see your thoughts on a couple ideas, if you don't mind.

First, could a warforged repair/upgrade itself with riverine?
If so, what would the result be?

Second, Renegade Mastermaker shows us that an individual can become a living construct that counts as a warforged while keeping everything else about its previous race. Would it be to much to create a magical device that can "upgrade" a character with living construct?

1) No, not according to RAW. However, you could always try a homrew [Body] feat.

2) Warforged components are already magical and can be used to enhance Warforged, so you can just use those. Renegade Mastermaker can explicitly use these.

LairdMaon
2016-07-05, 01:29 PM
1) Ok, yes. A homebrew body feat could make it happen. Still unsure on the effects it might have on the warforged with it.

2) The question isn't about components. It's aimed at "Oh dear, my (insert character's race here) is now made of wood, stone and metal, doesn't eat, drink or sleep and won't ever die naturally."
RM says nothing about losing anything racially, in effect it just says add living consrtuct and count as a warforged in addition to what you were. So now you have a Goliath (living construct) in play. Or a Raptoran (living construct).

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-05, 01:32 PM
Renegade Mastermaker requires the humanoid type, so goliath don't qualify (you can still change type after taking RM 10, of course).

The living construct subtype really only adds a bunch of immunities to whatever type you had before. It's a good subtype to get.

LairdMaon
2016-07-05, 02:55 PM
Good point on Goliath. But look at all those other applicable races!

It adds fun immunities and access to components.
And hooks one up with considerable social awkwardness, lol

Flickerdart
2016-07-05, 03:05 PM
It helps to think of riverine as a magical effect, rather than true material, since it's basically just a wall of force. A warforged constructed from this material would be heavily resistant to all sorts of damage, but would immediately die against disintegrate or disjunction.

In other words, such an ability is not appropriate for play.

barakaka
2016-07-14, 12:04 AM
I'm with Flickerdart as far as Riverine goes, but I think that you could go for a feat chain that pulls off what Renegade Mastermaker does. I think it should be at least 3 feats long, in order to avoid completely invalidating the whole prestige class though.

Something like:
- first feat allows 1 attached warforged component be installed on your worthless flesh
- second feat allows up to 3 total components installed of either embedded or attached
- third feat gives living construct

Adjust prereqs to taste.

Thurbane
2016-07-14, 12:28 AM
Would it be to much to create a magical device that can "upgrade" a character with living construct?

Maybe not exactly the answer you're looking for, but the Return to the Temple of the Frog (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a) free WotC adventure had the new Cyborg creature type/subtype that makes a creature a living construct - can't remember of the adventure included anything that could bestow the subtype or not.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-14, 09:12 AM
I think it should be at least 3 feats long, in order to avoid completely invalidating the whole prestige class though.

Something like:
- first feat allows 1 attached warforged component be installed on your worthless flesh
- second feat allows up to 3 total components installed of either embedded or attached
- third feat gives living construct

Adjust prereqs to taste.
Not a bad idea, but to respond to the bolded bit: it's a pretty bad prestige class. It's really cool, but it does very little you couldn't already do as warforged, but fifteen levels later. I think three feats is already quite a lot for the class, given that warforged are LA +0 and get it all for free.

You could do a bunch of [cyborg] feats, like [aberrant] feats, and give them some synergy benefits. A lot of [aberrant] feats have something like "you get 2 hit points per aberrant feat, including this one", so you could do the same for [cyborg].

E.g.
Feat 0: You get a +2 bonus on saves vs. [whatever warforged are immune to] per [cyborg] feat. If the bonus reaches +8, you may choose to get the living construct subtype (permanently), which makes you immune, and you qualify as warforged for everything.
Feat 1: You can attach one warforged component per [cyborg] feat. If you get the living construct subtype, you can attach as many as you want, and you heal from repair spells.
Feat 2: You get plating with +1 armour bonus, +1 per [cyborg] feat (including this one), 5% ASF, etc. (as warforged). If the bonus reaches +4, you may choose to get the benefits of Mithral Body, Darkwood Body etc. (permanently). If the bonus reaches +6, you may choose to get the benefits of Adamantine Body (permanently).
Feat 3, 4, 5, 6...: More useful construct-themed stuff. A feat for battlefist/slam attacks, a feat that removes the need for sleep/food/air and stops aging (open to dragonwrought-style age cheese, but otherwise weak - maybe have it count as prereq for Diehard and Steadfast Determination), a feat that adds lasers, a feat that adds golem-style magic immunity (probably an epic feat :smalltongue:).

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-14, 11:35 AM
Maybe not exactly the answer you're looking for, but the Return to the Temple of the Frog (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a) free WotC adventure had the new Cyborg creature type/subtype that makes a creature a living construct - can't remember of the adventure included anything that could bestow the subtype or not.

Is this a first party source???

Thurbane
2016-07-14, 08:03 PM
Is this a first party source???

It is indeed - it's a free (web only) WotC update of an old 1E/Basic D&D adventure.

I'm considering running it as a one-shot soon myself.