PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Crafting time and cost

Barstro
2016-07-05, 07:49 AM
The SRD has very clear language about "Upgrading" a magic item.

Example: Patrick's wizard decides to use his downtime to increase the armor bonus on his bracers of armor +1 to +3. The price difference between the two types of bracers is 8,000 gp, so Patrick's wizard must spend 8 days and 4,000 gp (half the 8,000 gp price difference) upgrading his bracers' magic. If he has fewer than 8 days before the next adventure, he'll need to finish his crafting while traveling or use accelerated crafting in town to speed up the process.

Does the same hold true if going from Ring of Wizardry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-wizardry) I to Ring of Wizardry II? Or are those two rings dissimilar enough that it is really crafting a new ring, since RoWI technically does things that ROWII cannot do?

Geddy2112
2016-07-05, 08:55 AM
If you are upgrading a RoWI to a RoWII then yes, I would say you would just pay the difference in cost between the two rings and that they are similar enough.

If you wanted to add both properties, there are rules for that as well, "For most other items, GMs should use the multiple different abilities rule to determine the item's new price: increase the cost of the new ability by 50%, add that to the total price of the item to get the new price. Then subtract the old price from the new price to determine the difference, and determine how many days of crafting it takes to cover the difference."

Barstro
2016-07-05, 10:17 AM
If you are upgrading a RoWI to a RoWII then yes, I would say you would just pay the difference in cost between the two rings and that they are similar enough.

That's what my question is. But I'm still not completely convinced that it meets the definition of "upgrade".

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-05, 11:30 AM
Hmm. I guess you could do it two different ways; upgrade one for the other (in which case you just pay the difference), and create a new ring with the benefits of both, in which case it would cost 150% what a RoWII would cost to add.