PDA

View Full Version : Shoring up a Lore Bard

pavoroyale
2016-07-05, 05:48 PM
I love the idea of a Lore Bard, but the obvious weaknesses no real at will damage, and the worst AC in the game.

The two most common fixes for this is:
Option 1: AC: 1 lvl cleric (for heavy armor) (also gives you 1 semi-decent attack cantrip sacred flame ( has dex save and not that great)
Option 2: At will: 2 levels warlock (for the fan fav Eldritch with agonizing blast.. and cool invocations etc. but big investment.

Option 1: I would rather the character be stealthy and would rather dump str. Also cleric doesn't fit the Charlatan background, free wheeling party face I am envisioning (unless he was conning is way into the church but.. his god would know right? :) )

Option 2: Warlock dip, a lot of goodies there, but does little for the AC problem, (I could get the at will mage armor with agonizing blast) But I would like to avoid the 2 level delay in Bard features/spells.

So how about: Option 3: 1 level dip in draconic sorc. This gives me always on Mage armor, and 4 more cantrips.
This minimizes the delay in bard progression, and if I start in sorc, I can have saves in char and Con instead of Will. (will saves are rough I think, but half elf has advantage against charms)

Sorc cantrips: bring offensive cantrips, saving concentration for bard buffs and debuffs, he can keep his hands free for an instrument.
Firebolt
Ray of Frost (for fire resistant)
message or shocking grasp
Prestidigitation

Also 2 sorc spells for shield and something (perhaps magic missile?)

stat buy: Half Elf
STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 15 WIS: 10 INT: 10 CHAR: 17

ASI -
4 - Inspiring leader
8 char +1 con +1
12 resilient dex +1
16 char +2
19 - something. (alert, lucky)

probably swap 4 and 8 depending how levels 1-3 feel.. but it seems inspiring leader has the best payoff the sooner you take it.

AC of 15 at first but then 16 - not great but he could stay in the back with wizards and sorcerers, or land druids and would have the shield spell

Specter
2016-07-05, 05:55 PM
With Additional Magical Secrets, you can get many AC buffs, or make yourself harder to hit (Shield, Shield of Faith, Blur, Mirror Image, Haste, Fly...) and Cutting Words prevents many blows too. Don't worry too much about it.

Democratus
2016-07-05, 05:58 PM
Magical Secrets: Eldritch Blast

pavoroyale
2016-07-05, 06:12 PM
level 6 seems a long time to wait with ac 14, and I think there might be cooler stuff for magical secrets?

The sorc gives 16 ac all the time, with the shield spell (+5) as a reaction.

Shield of faith is concentration. - good for a paladin that is using 2 handeded weap only I think.
blur is concentration,

Mirror image might be useful if I take more sorc late in the career to get metamagic..

I guess what I am asking; the Bard lock is quite popular and I can see why, but I am looking for another way to similar advantages but with only a 1 lvl dip. Is it a viable?

MrStabby
2016-07-05, 07:03 PM
So I think lore bards, generally, are not great at damage - but they are not short of powerful effects in combat.

I think that their main restriction is number of spells per day at low levels and no recovery mechanism like druids, sorcerers, wizards do. Unlike clerics or druids they don't get solid combat options to spend actions on. They have free actions but not the spell slots to fill them.

If you can advance to level 6 then you can use your magical secrets to grab spells that have a duration and can fill the role of repeatable damage - call lightning, conjure animals, spiritual weapon or whatever.

Life cleric is a popular boost - armour and a boost to healing is a step up. Warlock, even paladin are also popular.

pavoroyale
2016-07-05, 07:23 PM
So I think lore bards, generally, are not great at damage - but they are not short of powerful effects in combat.

I think that their main restriction is number of spells per day at low levels and no recovery mechanism like druids, sorcerers, wizards do. Unlike clerics or druids they don't get solid combat options to spend actions on. They have free actions but not the spell slots to fill them.

If you can advance to level 6 then you can use your magical secrets to grab spells that have a duration and can fill the role of repeatable damage - call lightning, conjure animals, spiritual weapon or whatever.

That is my feeling as well, that is why I think getting a damaging cantrip will give him something to do while concentration spells are up, and cutting words, etc.

Life cleric is a popular boost - armour and a boost to healing is a step up. Warlock, even paladin are also popular.

- I have read these forums quite a bit, I am aware of cleric dips and and warlocks, but Cleric would need warcaster, and likely be in disadvantage in stealth.. Warlock is a 2 level delay in bard features.

Seems like Sorc is good compromise.. 1 level giving caster level AC shield spell, several cantrips, and Con prof instead of will.

or am I missing something?

MrStabby
2016-07-05, 07:38 PM
Con prof is good - but you can use a feat to get that (and+1 con as well - if you want it from the start compare with variant human). The AC is ok but only if you would want to be stealthy as a high priority. A level of cleric would give a bigger AC bonus than the sorcerer would give when you factor in the armour they can wear.

Metamagic adds something, but that's more levels. Wild sorcerer adds something but you lose what you get in AC and HP.

To be honest I would stick with bard and just tough out the lower levels. Use your skills, hope to find items like wands, pearls of power etc. to give you ways to make your spell slots go further and then from level 6 onwards you should have a huge amount of fun.

BW022
2016-07-05, 07:53 PM
I love the idea of a Lore Bard, but the obvious weaknesses no real at will damage, and the worst AC in the game.

There are lots of other options for a lore bard.

3. Human variant, or wait until 4th, and take medium armor proficiency. AC 17 (14+2+2) with stealth or 18 (15+2+2) with a stealth disadvantage. Take mastery next for a 19 and no stealth issues.

4. Human variant, or wait until 4th, and take initiate (wizard or sorcerer) and take mage armor -- or shield.

5. Stay out of melee. Lots of classes (wizards, sorcerers, etc.) have to do this. Look at getting a high speed. Unless there is a reason for your character to be forced into tanking, it is pretty easy using ranged attacks.

6. Dip one level of wizard. Gives 6 spells, several memorized, frees up rituals from your bard list (comprehend languages, detect magic, alarm, etc.), recall a 1st-level slot after a rest, get a familiar, etc.. Take mage armor and shield. Easy dip. You can scribe new spells you find and many 1st-level spells do scale well to damaging spells (say magic missile or witchbolt).

7. Take mountain dwarf. Medium armor is free at the cost of a charisma bump. That is 14+2, 15+2 (without stealth).

8. Look at other ways to do damage. You get access to spells from any class at 6th -- think about summon stead, fly, blink, conjure animals, call lightning, etc. Many of these do a lot of damage or make you hard to hit. A spell like fly is often way better than just raw AC as you simply can't be hit if they can't reach you or don't have missile weapons (which most monsters don't).

9. Realize you aren't a tank nor a damage dealer. You specialize in buffing. Don't fight it. You have a lot of spells which help others do damage -- faerie fire, blindness, inspiration, etc. You can also heal. Be happy helping others. Use vicious mockery, blindness, cutting words, etc. and simply make it next to impossible for your party to be hit and stay behind someone.

10. Realize AC isn't a battle anyone can win. Even the best fighters or paladins struggle mightily for an 18 to 20 and it doesn't go up much past that. Best stealth builds (medium, shield, and feat) top out at around 17 or 18. Light armor builds can't get above 16 baring some really fancy stuff. The difference between studded leather and mage armor is rarely worth it. If you have a 15 or 16 AC... you can't last long enough in melee anyway. You need other strategies -- typically coming down to... stay out of melee.

11. Don't play a bard. Pick another more damaging class and take the entertainer background, a level of bard, take the initiate (bard) feat, etc. and approach it that way. If you want to be a spell damaging character... try wizard or sorcerer with some bard-like abilities.

pavoroyale
2016-07-05, 08:53 PM

3. Human variant, medium armor prof, then medium armor mastery --2 feats.

4. Human variant, initiate (wizard or sorcerer) and take mage armor -- or shield... once per day

5. Stay out of melee. Lots of classes (wizards, sorcerers, etc.) have to do this.... agree completly!

6. Dip one level of wizard. Gives 6 spells, several memorized, frees up rituals from your bard list (comprehend languages, detect magic, alarm, etc.), recall a 1st-level slot after a rest, get a familiar, etc.. Take mage armor and shield. Easy dip. You can scribe new spells you find and many 1st-level spells do scale well to damaging spells (say magic missile or witchbolt).

7. Take mountain dwarf. Medium armor is free at the cost of a charisma bump. and bonus skills/languages, resistance to charm for my skill monkey bard! :)

8. Look at other ways to do damage. You get access to spells from any class at 6th -- think about summon stead, fly, blink, conjure animals, call lightning, etc. Many of these do a lot of damage or make you hard to hit. A spell like fly is often way better than just raw AC as you simply can't be hit if they can't reach you or don't have missile weapons (which most monsters don't).

9. Realize you aren't a tank nor a damage dealer. You specialize in buffing. Don't fight it. You have a lot of spells which help others do damage -- faerie fire, blindness, inspiration, etc. You can also heal. Be happy helping others. Use vicious mockery, blindness, cutting words, etc. and simply make it next to impossible for your party to be hit and stay behind someone.

10. Realize AC isn't a battle anyone can win. stay out of melee.. etc..
trimmed

Nowhere did I say I wanted to fight the front line with ac 16! :) I am going to play him like a sorc or wizard, at range, but I would like my bard to at least have as much ac defense on the occasional incident/ranged attack as a sorc or a wizard. :) Its not just the mage armor, but the shield spell, why waste a magical secrets on it, when I can get it on a 1 lvl dip of sorc?

I will be casting mockery, hypnotic pattern, use cunning words.. etc. but when I am already concentrating on a spell, or when I run out of slots, while hiding behind those meat shields.. wouldn't it be nice to have some ranged damage cantrips other than mockery?

One thing I didn't consider is a dip in wizard instead of sorc, since Wiz has the Int casting stat.. but 6 utility spells might be interesting I will have to look if the utility of rituals and more lvl 1 spells off-sets the "always on" magic armor from sorc and the sorc's extra cantrip. Perhaps not.

--That is why I posted here to put this idea in the forge of others opinions! thank you for replies I hope to get more.

oh and yes flying is great, although taking my concentration it is even more important to have blasty spells (.. and cantrips! :) ) while up there I think! ;)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-05, 09:05 PM
Nowhere did I say I wanted to fight the front line with ac 16! :) I am going to play him like a sorc or wizard, at range, but I would like my bard to at least have as much ac defense on the occasional incident/ranged attack as a sorc or a wizard. :) Its not just the mage armor, but the shield spell, why waste a magical secrets on it, when I can get it on a 1 lvl dip of sorc?
He has light armor, that's only 1 AC lower-- hardly noticeable, really.

Don't forget that the Warlock has an invocation for at-will Mage Armor.

pavoroyale
2016-07-05, 10:03 PM
He has light armor, that's only 1 AC lower-- hardly noticeable, really.

Don't forget that the Warlock has an invocation for at-will Mage Armor.

I know you can get a mage armor invocation.. but it doesn't give me shield spell, and requires a 2 level dip.

1 lvl Sorc gives not just mage armor but shield spell for +5 for a round as a reaction if you really need it, sparing some cutting words uses, (also gives 4 cantrips 2 lvl 1 spells and doesn't cost me any ASI slots or spell slots.)

I was all about bardlock at first, it gives you get a lot of goodies and is very tempting, but I think it will delay bard secret spells and inspiration dice too much and I regret it in mid/high levels.. Also I am not sure I like the Pact rp for this character.

Zman
2016-07-05, 10:42 PM
Our Lor Bard picked up Greenflame Blade and Firebolt with Magical Secrets. Gives just enough scaling at will damage based on Cha for all those times more precious resources aren't necessary. Beats a non scaling Dex based crossbow!

bid
2016-07-05, 10:57 PM
Option 1: I would rather the character be stealthy and would rather dump str. Also cleric doesn't fit the Charlatan background, free wheeling party face I am envisioning (unless he was conning is way into the church but.. his god would know right? :) )
Trickery domain might work. Medium armor (AC19) is good enough since you have Dex14.

stat buy: Half Elf
STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 15 WIS: 10 INT: 10 CHAR: 17

ASI -
4 - Inspiring leader
8 char +1 con +1

Odd stats are the tool of the devil. Start Con16 Cha16 and bump to Cha18 at level 8.

Innocent_bystan
2016-07-06, 01:36 AM
I have read these forums quite a bit, I am aware of cleric dips and and warlocks, but Cleric would need warcaster, and likely be in disadvantage in stealth.

or am I missing something?
I added a lvl of Arcana cleric to my Lore Bard. Medium Armor, shields, 5 cantrips (2 from the Wizard list), 4 prepared cleric spells and some rituals is a very nice package for a 1lvl dip.

The 2 extra cantrips key off of wisdom, but green flame blade and booming blade are mostly stat-independant. And give me something to do when not casting spells.

As cleric spells, I choose healing word (freeing up a Bard spell known) and bless (the party loves me). Always having detect magic prepared is situationally handy.
Note that clerics can cast spells with an S component with a shield, if their holy symbol is on it.

Conceptually, I feel that Lore Bard and Arcana Cleric match as a seeker of magical knowledge, tomb raider type of character. Think Indiana Jones, with spells.

Innocent_bystan
2016-07-06, 01:49 AM
Also: if you're not in the front line, you never *need* warcaster. You can use your object interaction to sheathe/draw as needed.
You might not be able to make AoO's, but on the other hand, you shouldn't have to.

JellyPooga
2016-07-07, 03:37 AM

1) No At-Will damage.

This is...not a problem. DPR is a necessary factor in combat. It is not, however, the only one. Vicious Mockery is one of the best combat cantrips in the game. Sure it doesn't do a lot of damage, but it stops your target from doing more. It can be and frequently is, in my experience, a great leveler in combat.

With a Rapier in hand (or even a longsword if he's Strength focused), a Bard has pretty comparable melee DPR to any character pre-5th level. After that, well, Lore Bards' Magical Secrets or the extra proficiencies and Extra Attack Valour Bard offers more than address this "problem".

Then there's the possibility of...alternatives. Athletics proficiency and a half-way decent Str score can make a Bard a into grappler/shover. Minor Illusion can provide cover, false foes and all manner of interesting changes to the environment; it's potential is only limited by your imagination.

In short, if you're playing a Bard and you're worried about DPR, you're probably "doing it wrong".

2) Low AC. This is just something you'll need to deal with. Bards, like Rogues and Wizards, are somewhat glass-cannon. Dipping another Class for a bit of extra AC is not something I'd recommend; you delay valuable Bard features like Magical Secrets, higher Inspiration die-type and most importantly, higher level spells for, what? An AC that's a point or two higher and a little more Cantrip damage? Not worth it.

You're better off trying to avoid getting targeted in the first place. Hiding is good for this and Bards can be good at that (better, even, than most Rogues). Cover, Illusions, and using your other magical versatility to lock-down foes all helps you not to worry about AC.

kladams707
2016-07-07, 06:25 AM
If you're a draconic sorcerer, you shouldn't need mage armor because of draconic resilience (AC when not wearing armor=13+dexterity)
I'm going to make suugestioms based on your option 3 & also provide an additional option.

Assuming 27 point buy & half elf, there are a couple of options:

Str 8
Dex 15 (16)
Con 15 (16)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 14 (16)

Str 8
Dex 15 (16)
Con 13 (14)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 14 (16)

Mess around with str, int, & wis however you see fit. But with draconic resilience you get the equivalent of mage armor without casting a spell & one extra hp when you gain a level in sorcerer. I might still consider taking bard first for the slightly higher starting max hp. If you do go into sorcerer, you may want to consider getting 3 levels for some metamagic shenaningans. You miss out on a ASI/feat & a magical secret, but the latter doesn't seem to be a concern & the former at that point is just icing. Plus you get some more damaging spells.

That said. It is important to note that a lore bard's true bread & butter is as arguably the best support class in the gamd He is there to fill in a roll as an off-X. Need some healing power? Pickup Aura of vitality earlier than a paladin and at level 10 maybe raise dead. If you need an archer, pick up some arrow spells from ranger. No arcane blaster? This is when you pick up fireball.

However, as a caster, and especially as a lore bard, your duty is to enable your ranged & melee mundanes and disabling enemies. There is a time for aoe damage, but most of the time your slots & bonus actions will be better spent controlling the battlefield to make things easier on allies & harder on enemies. Yes vicious mockery sucks at damage, but conferring disadvantage to that enemy is nothing to sneeze at. At early levels sleep trumps damage (no save btw), & there are other spells even at first level that can lock down or take out an enemy without damaging them

So I present option 4, which as suggested by others is concern yourself with stealth instead of AC (& damage for that matter) Instead of half-elf, go with lightfoot halfling. You get bonuses to dex & charisma & can hide begind creatures one size category or larger. So, unless you're a party of all gnomes & halflings, you should almost always have a hiding spot available. If you don't mind a delay in your spells, Rogue 2 gets you Cunning Action to hide as a bonus action.

[edit]If you go bard or rogue first, you should dedicate resilient in con. Sorcerer first, I would still give serious thought to wisdom over dexterity if only to shore up your defenses against effects that take you out of the fight or make you turn on your allies.

pavoroyale
2016-07-07, 11:59 AM
1) No At-Will damage.

In short, if you're playing a Bard and you're worried about DPR, you're probably "doing it wrong".

2) Low AC. This is just something you'll need to deal with. Bards, like Rogues and Wizards, are somewhat glass-cannon..

Maybe you think they shouldn't "cannons" at all, just glass. :)

Yes wizards and rogues have low AC but better tools to mitigate them, cunning action/uncanny dodge for rogues, reaction spells for wizard/sorc. etc. You can't hide and use cunning words or mockery they have to hear you. Sometimes, you will get surprised, over-run, targeted by archers; --AC is worthwhile. Cutting words can only mitigate 1 attack (and even that is more likely to to succeed the more AC you have)

I think a 1 level dip does have a cost, but it is affordable.

If you're a draconic sorcerer, you shouldn't need mage armor because of draconic resilience (AC when not wearing armor=13+dexterity)
I'm going to make suugestioms..
I understood that, I was referring to draconic resilience as "always on Mage armor" since that is what it is functionally; a way to conserve the limited spellslots of sorc by giving them the effects of the mage armor spell "on" all the time.

Thank you for the extensive advice though, and halfling does have a nice option to hide among his teammates, although I think you are right that to make that economical action wise, I would have to have cunning action from 2 levels or rogue. I am trying to limit any dips to 1 level. (or else I would persue the more DPS and invocation rich warlock dip :) )

I added a lvl of Arcana cleric to my Lore Bard. Medium Armor, shields, 5 cantrips (2 from the Wizard list), 4 prepared cleric spells and some rituals is a very nice package for a 1lvl dip.

Now this is more interesting, I have been resisting cleric dip mostly for rp reasons..

But I could see him starting his quest for magical secrets as an acolyte in a Temple of Mystra, ultimately though his reckless and hedonistic nature did not sit well with the temple structure of the church.. and he was asked to leave. (he still loves Mystra, but not the organization of the church)

His charlatan false identity could be of a still active student with papers from a Mystra Temple requesting access to magical books in libraries and other temples for some research on behalf of his temple. (and that is how he gets his magical secrets, as well as carousing with sorceresses and hedge witches and rogues and other bards, really anyone who has a good trick or spell to teach.

it is a shame that those cantrips are all keyed to wisdom, but still getting guidance, sacred flame, and 2 more Wiz utility cantrips, bless, Wisdom prof save, and AC of 17 or 18, with stealth, and possibility of shield mastery feet sometime late in career.

Still part of the attractiveness of the sorc dip is that as the party face he would appear unarmored no shield.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 12:06 PM
Warlock 2, while probably the most common and annoying dip, can get you +3 unarmoured AC and eldritch blast.

Ogre Mage
2016-07-07, 11:27 PM

3. Human variant, or wait until 4th, and take medium armor proficiency. AC 17 (14+2+2) with stealth or 18 (15+2+2) with a stealth disadvantage. Take mastery next for a 19 and no stealth issues.

I have been thinking of playing a (single-classed) lore bard but was concerned about the AC issues. One could start as a variant human and take the moderately armored feat at 1st level, fixing the problem immediately. Or one could start as a half-elf which gets a bunch of racial bonuses which seem tailor-made for a bard but it means putting off any potential AC improvement until at least 4th level. What do people think about the trade-offs between a variant human lore bard starting with with the moderately armored feat vs. a half-elf bard?

JellyPooga
2016-07-08, 01:13 AM
I have been thinking of playing a (single-classed) lore bard but was concerned about the AC issues. One could start as a variant human and take the moderately armored feat at 1st level, fixing the problem immediately. Or one could start as a half-elf which gets a bunch of racial bonuses which seem tailor-made for a bard but it means putting off any potential AC improvement until at least 4th level. What do people think about the trade-offs between a variant human lore bard starting with with the moderately armored feat vs. a half-elf bard?

With the ability scores of the character in question, Moderately Armoured gives a solid boost to AC, no doubt. 14 vs. 17 (possibly 19 w.shield). is a marked improvement.

However, using medium armour means Encumbrance may become an issue with such a low Strength score and Bards are already struggling to micro-manage what hands they have free without trying to juggle a shield as well...unless they pick up War Caster too. A two-Feat investment for +5 AC is starting to stink a little. Then when you consider that you're giving up +2 Charisma, a Skill Proficiency, Darkvision and some Elfy ribbons to do it as well, not to mention whatever boons you'd have gained from those 2 Feats otherwise, I can't help but see it as a bad choice.

Grabbing even +1 Dex (whether from a +1/+1 ASI or a Feat) will give the proposed character 15 AC and looking to bump Dex further is not a bad idea anyway, which only really benefits you the most if wearing light armour.

Innocent_bystan
2016-07-08, 01:49 PM
His charlatan false identity could be of a still active student with papers from a Mystra Temple requesting access to magical books in libraries and other temples for some research on behalf of his temple. (and that is how he gets his magical secrets, as well as carousing with sorceresses and hedge witches and rogues and other bards, really anyone who has a good trick or spell to teach.

Still part of the attractiveness of the sorc dip is that as the party face he would appear unarmored no shield.

In the case of my Lore Bard: she is a secret agent of the church of Corellon Larethian, currently investigating the Cult of the Dragon (playing HotDQ). She has successfully posed as a minstrel (obviously), a priest, a cultist, a fighter, a master chef and currently a Wizard.

Proficiency in 10 skills, expertise in 2, 2 spell lists to choose from, 8 cantrips and armor, shields and a variety of weapons to choose from REALLY help.

MaxWilson
2016-07-08, 02:35 PM

Option 1: AC: 1 lvl cleric (for heavy armor) (also gives you 1 semi-decent attack cantrip sacred flame ( has dex save and not that great)
Option 2: At will: 2 levels warlock (for the fan fav Eldritch with agonizing blast.. and cool invocations etc. but big investment.

Could also just be a variant human and take Medium Armor proficiency as your feat.

But AC isn't that good of a defense anyway. I find that my AC 16 Bardlock (Dex 18 due to high rolls) is survivable enough just by watching his positioning in combat and being sure not to scout ahead alone. The one time he almost died to a chain worm, it wasn't because of his AC, it was because he failed his Con save against its Stun effect and he was scouting ahead alone.

Besides, Lore Bards have Cutting Words, which is almost as good as Shield and recharges on a short rest. An AC 13-14 Lore Bard is still reasonably tanky against small numbers of any kind of monster that's not immune to charm. (Although it's still better to hang back and use your Cutting Words to protect OTHER player characters instead.)

JeffreyGator
2016-07-08, 03:32 PM
I have really liked the 1 level dip into wizard my lore bard has taken.

the character is about controlling the battle not doing damage. I have a party of minions to do damage for me. and take hits for me. apart from a thunderwave addiction, the character mostly avoids doing much direct damage. If there is poking something with a rapier it was mostly to set up the rogue to kill that thing. Although the preferred setup for the rogue is to hide the Halfling in a minor illusion. Because halflling out of a box/plant/statue/shrubbery never gets old and annoys the Halfling.

Specter
2016-07-08, 04:13 PM
Bards are not meant to have high AC, like Sorcerers and Wizards and etc. Even Sorc/Wizards who use Shield are doing so wasting spell slots, and not using their reaction for anything else such as Counterspelling.

The correct term for Lore Bards is Glass Debuffer. They won't deal much damage, sure, but they can screw up with enemies in so many ways that it's almost unfair. Even by using only Vicious Mockery + Cutting Words, a bard may defeat a fighter-type character, and all that along with Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, Fear, Blindness, Tasha's, Greater Invisibility... that's the way to go in combat.

pavoroyale
2016-07-08, 04:20 PM
But AC isn't that good of a defense anyway. .. <snip>

Besides, Lore Bards have Cutting Words, which is almost as good as Shield and recharges on a short rest. An AC 13-14 Lore Bard is still reasonably tanky against small numbers of any kind of monster that's not immune to charm. (Although it's still better to hang back and use your Cutting Words to protect OTHER player characters instead.)

Cutting words uses your reaction so only can mitigate 1 attack. Also Vicious mockery only effects the next attack roll.

With AC you can still do everything to avoid being the target, your placement, illusions, etc.. but once you are the target AC makes the difference.

KnotaGuru
2016-07-09, 01:31 AM
I was lucky enough to get a black dragon mask during HotDQ, it adds CHA mod to AC, along with a few other perks. We also found bracers of defense, another +2 to AC. So my level 8 straight lore bard with a 16 DEX is rocking a 20 AC. Still think you need to dip another class just for AC? 1 level dip into life cleric is really for the boost in healing for the OP group that lacks any healing, and access to bless. But it isn't necessary. You'd do just fine as a straight lore bard and mitigate damage through debuffs and control spells. Better than spending your limited spell slots on healing.

Dimolyth
2016-07-09, 06:50 AM
A lore bard who spends resources for shield spell is a strange bard. Cutting words make the work of shield spell just fine. Strict lore bard would have AC 14-15 +cutting words (15-23 for a ranged based spellcaster) instead of 15-16 + shield (20-21) of sorcerer. Dip in cleric is relevant for heavy armor + shield... well, that + cutting words will grant you ability to be in mellee... in the cost of stealth, sure.

Defences of lore bard are just fine on their own - he is not a main target in combat (the enemies tend to target PC who actually hurt them), he is out of the reach of most monsters, he has good defence against AOE effects (the only ranged fullcaster with proficiency in dex saves). And against ocasionally attack - he has cutting words - with no need to spend slots, and short rest recovery (from level 5) of them.

As for at-will damage... here the problem is intended to exist. As for me, bards got best in-game at-will debuff with their vicious mockery, and that is intended to be a non-damaging at will class. And that is fine, as long as the character is not isolated and acts in a group. If not, as for me spending ASI for magic initiate (getting damaging cantrips and even more utility with something like Find Familiar) is more effective than multiclassing.

Innocent_bystan
2016-07-09, 07:41 AM
... spendin ASI for magic initiate (getting damaging cantrips and even more utility with something like Find Familiar) is more effective than multiclassing.
But then you're not raising your charisma, which means your DCs suffer. And for a debuffer/controller those are rather important.
I prefer being one behind in Bard abilities, than not having max charisma for my level. Of course, I only had a 14 cha to start with, which exaggerates the problem.

Klorox
2016-07-12, 02:33 AM
If you really want to go sorcerer 1/bard X, I think it's a fine character.

I think most of the people who responded are trying to say it really doesn't matter much, but if you want the added defense and spells, go for it. Just realize you're slowing your progression by a level.

Yuroch Kern
2016-07-14, 01:10 PM
Well, as far as just AC and damage is concerned, my own personal bias would be dip your 1st level as fighter. It wouldn't bring more mystical might, but your early level survivability will shoot right up. AC can be almost whatever, you can use a heavy crossbow, 2 extra hp, one shot free heal, and your style can augment one of your initial parameters quite nicely. It's like being a Valor bard too!

Ashrym
2016-07-15, 03:08 PM
Cutting words uses your reaction so only can mitigate 1 attack. Also Vicious mockery only effects the next attack roll.

With AC you can still do everything to avoid being the target, your placement, illusions, etc.. but once you are the target AC makes the difference.

The difference is that cutting words is more versatile than the shield spell because it can prevent damage from more types of attacks and for other individuals. It can be used as an attack penalty or a damage penalty, whichever is better. It scales with level so averaging -5.5 or -6.5 on the roll exceeds the bonus AC from the shield spell at higher levels. Refreshing on a short rest given 2 short rests allows up to 15 uses per day in addition to spells instead of using up spells. Trying to use shield as often as cutting words is available cripples the number of spell slots available for other purposes unless a person is an 18th level wizard, which is the real reason the benefit won't be seen much even given a duration on shield; too much competition for spell slot use.

If damage and AC are important to you, then you might consider simply playing a valor bard instead with the same general concept. The first 2 levels go fast and many tables skip them to get the armor proficiency as part of the package, and extra attack bumps up your damage. I would just go variant human and grab moderately armored on a lore bard and not worry about any other classes. Or you could simply make a DEX first bard and spend a feat on magic initiate for cantrips that include an attack plus damage. Or CHA first and magic initiate for damage spells. Or mix it up a bit. It's easy to not worry about damage cantrips prior to 5th level because they suck so magical secrets to pick one up works fine. Dual wielding short swords will give you more damage on your bard at lower levels than cantrip spamming, easily.

Consider this: Variant human, bonus feat moderately armored. Easy AC increase, +1 DEX comes with the feat, +1 skill proficiency comes with the race, two more +1's come with the race, lore adds more skill proficiencies anyway and jack-of-all-trades gives bonuses to everything else so the bonus skills from half-elf are a minor consideration. Dual wield short swords for 2d6+DEX mod damage as a solid attack set. Even d8+2 isn't behind most cantrips for damage. At 6th level, when cantrips are doing 2 dice instead of 1 die pick up greenflame blade and shillelagh using magical secrets. Between the armor from the variant human feat, cutting words, using CHA (added with 4th level ASI), and using CHA as an attack stat anyway using shillelagh the lore bard has a decent AC and damage option. Alternatively armor mastery for better AC or pole arm master at 4th level for the bonus attack becomes an option (you would forego greenflame blade for another spell using secrets with PAM).

Variant human (bonus feat moderately armored), point buy and similar to your original character:

STR: 8 (0)
DEX: 14 (5+1 feat)
CON: 16 (9+1 race)
INT: 10 (2)
WIS: 10 (2)
CHA: 16 (9+1 race)

This is close to what you had posted. If you want the 16 DEX it's possible over the 16 CON but not necessary. Swapping CON and DEX in the point buy and ASI increases costs some hit points but works better for your stealth if you want to focus that way.

FEATS (following what you want): moderately armored (lvl1 race bonus), inspiring leader (lvl4), ASI CHA+2 (lvl8), ASI CHA+2 (lvl12), War Caster (lvl16), ASI CON+2 (lvl19)

You might also consider that if you are working on stealth anyway, investing in a 20 DEX is possible so the AC comes out at pretty good compared to many of the other classes because high DEX clerics, druids, and wizards aren't exactly common. They are already investing in other ability scores too. If your DEX is 16 compared to another's 14 or 12 you still have similar AC to a base 13 + DEX mod. All you are really looking for to match it is +1 studded leather. It may not exist but it's not falling far off even without it. DEX 20 is as easy as giving up moderately armored at 1st level for inspiring leader, using the DEX instead of CON focus mentioned above, and opening up an ASI for the 20 DEX to go with the 20 CHA. That also means shillelagh can be given up for a different spell with extra secrets at 6th level.

Short version: I think you are too focused on situational number crunching with AC and the shield spell, and trying to capitalize unnecessarily on multi-class splashing. You've missed some straight forward considerations.

EDIT: Forgot, also swap a feat going for a build without moderately armored. Resilient CON is likely instead of war caster in order to make the ability scores match out.

Herobizkit
2016-07-16, 05:42 AM
I see this has been pointed out already, but is rolling a Mountain Dwarf an option? You'd receive Medium Armor Proficiency and a decent (enough) selection of weapons. DEX 14 gives you the same bonus as a Shield.

Dump Int and you'd have 14/14/12/8/10/14 before mods, 16/14/14/8/10/14 after mods.

Take spells that don't have saves and party on!

... I tend to favor well-rounded stats over strict min/maxing; I imagine someone can 'do it better'.

Also 16 AC is fine for any line, IMO.