PDA

View Full Version : Player Help need help identifying if I am missing anything from character sheet

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 06:47 PM
Hi! i am semi new to D&D and this is my first time trying to make a Character from scratch, i am starting off as a lvl 1 Giant fighter. i am wondering two things:

1. if this is a good character for fighting and is properly made and ready to begin playing.

2. if i am missing any info or things i need for my character

thanks in advanced built it off of a character builder than i threw it on to a proper character sheet.

Character build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eENot7f8E1hJmp0MTTGudoeCgRI1KPYrDHN3AFrhw1bi4g13P BjVdEf1CKubskCWBXfpVOdufdkNQTJi/view?usp=sharing

Character sheet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WoLaNdUnSWw1QEFb10pZ4j49EdSTVHjxr8ZxLRIcxiy7d_4N4 m9YqEGe4-V-xE_X8jbUvdthctdwrATi/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!!

SethoMarkus
2016-07-05, 07:04 PM
The most important thing that seems to be missing is character level and level adjustment (LA). For most giants that's +4, meaning that a Giant that is a 1st level Fighter is a 5th level character (based on ECL, Effective Character Level). Make sure this is alright with your group before going any further with it. Other than that I noticed your BAB is not noted on the character sheet (+1 for a 1st level Fighter), nor any of the attack bonuses for your weapons (typically BAB + Str modifier + enhancement bonuses on the weapon). I noticed a few other smaller transcription errors but am on a phone atm so it's difficult to be flip between thr documents to check.

I suggest going over the build with your DM and making sure you have approval for the Giant race before you go any further. If you have other players in your group (opposed to solo campaign of just y and DM), it may cause issues balancing party members if your DM is ignoring LA.

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 07:17 PM
thanks still trying to figure out where everything goes and where to be place but i have gotten confirmation to play a giant from my DM, i was trying to start out as a lvl 1 giant and fighter not realizing that there are two separate things at the time. unfortunately my DM is new to 3.5 and hasn't played in years but hoping to see if tomorrow and make sure everything is good to go still. i am going to add the info you have told me is missing and will post next save soon thanks!!

Pugwampy
2016-07-05, 07:59 PM
Your greatsword would be a "giant size" greatsword with 3D6 Damage . If you insist on playing with a 2D6 medium size great sword you will take a -2 attack penalty .:smallbiggrin:

Also you want to add in 10 X 1.5 strength bonus damage to that 3D6 because you are holding it with two hands . That +10 bonus is if you hold it in one hand .

Giant Greatsword you roll 3d6 + 15 damage

Your size will also give you a -1 penalty to armour class . You are a big target easy to hit .

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 08:10 PM
Your greatsword would be a "giant size" greatsword with 3D6 Damage . If you insist on playing with a 2D6 medium size great sword you will take a -2 attack penalty .:smallbiggrin:

Also you want to add in 10 X 1.5 strength bonus damage to that 3D6 because you are holding it with two hands . That +10 bonus is if you hold it in one hand .

Giant Greatsword you roll 3d6 + 15 damage

Your size will also give you a -1 penalty to Armour class . You are a big target easy to hit .

where do i add the 10 x 1.5 to? (sorry if this is a super noob question lol) also do i add that -1 to my AC list or leave it in the notes of the sword. and my AC is 26,

here is the modifications to the sword so far:http://prntscr.com/bpbfmr

Pugwampy
2016-07-05, 08:19 PM
No problem glad to help .

You added that already . The 10 X 1.5 is the 15 added to your greatsword .

Yes take off one armour class point .

+ 9 natural armour ? Whats your species ? Are you a frost giant , a hill giant , stone giant ? A stone Giant has a natural armour of + 11 . Assuming you are a frost giant dont forget you are immune to ice but take double fire damage .

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 08:28 PM
No problem glad to help .

You added that already . The 10 X 1.5 is the 15 added to your greatsword .

Yes take off one armour class point .

+ 9 natural armour ? Whats your species ? Are you a frost giant , a hill giant , stone giant ? A stone Giant has a natural armour of + 11 . Assuming you are a frost giant dont forget you are immune to ice but take double fire damage .

I am playing as a Hill Giant and i have checked the monster manual plus wikis and they get a +9 armor bonus (based off of here: http://prntscr.com/bpbk6i ) i also am not too sure where to put low light vision on there and if i am missing anything it would greatly help me out :)

not to sure if this was the best choice to do as a starting character (plus my first ever from scratch) but I've been working on it all night and i'm to stubborn to stop aha :smallbiggrin:

Pugwampy
2016-07-05, 08:35 PM
I have no idea why your DM allowed you to play a giant but he is going to get pummeled by you .

Okay that info sheet says you must take -1 to attack because of your size .

Low light vision comes under special abilities section .

Your large size base speed in heavy armour is 30 ft . I suggest you stick to lighter armour for your 40 ft bonus .

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 08:44 PM
I have no idea why your DM allowed you to play a giant but he is going to get pummeled by you .

Okay that info sheet says you must take -1 to attack because of your size .

Low light vision comes under special abilities section .

i add the -1 to my damages for weapons correct or to another area here is what i have so far: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AIxNZkZVs6AUcP1fi45S4MuxtAkC5lajdAJwsJsXBngTfX2AF u-ZgMiLpcOHgGT23C0o6d126bxa4S2u/view?usp=sharing (have not added the -1 yetg waiting for further response)

lol :smallbiggrin: he hasn't done this in a couple years plus he was playing a different edition, but i might have to make a new character anyways. the tale of Hogarth will live on!!!

Siosilvar
2016-07-05, 08:49 PM
The Hill Giant you have chosen is equivalent to a 16th-level character before taking any class levels, since it has 12 levels of Humanoid racial hit dice and a +4 level adjustment.

Your DM could waive those hit dice and have you start as a 1st level fighter (in a 5th level party), but I don't recommend it if you're both new to the game.

A Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) could work as an alternative; a 1st-level Half-Giant would be equivalent to a 2nd-level character. The stomp ability works exactly the same way a spell would, just read "manifester" as "caster" and "power" as "spell".

As far as the effects of Large size: -1 to hit, -1 to AC, +4 to Grapple (and Bull Rush, and Trip) checks, -4 to Hide checks, you take up a 10ft square instead of a 5ft square, your melee attack reach is 10ft instead of 5ft, and your carrying capacity is twice the value on the table.

Pugwampy
2016-07-05, 08:56 PM
No you add -1 to your attack bonus NOT your damage .

Your rock throwing would have a different attack bonus to your melee great sword . I think its only +1 for you .

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 09:00 PM
The Hill Giant you have chosen is equivalent to a 16th-level character before taking any class levels, since it has 12 levels of Humanoid racial hit dice and a +4 level adjustment.

Your DM could waive those hit dice and have you start as a 1st level fighter (in a 5th level party), but I don't recommend it if you're both new to the game.

A Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) could work as an alternative; a 1st-level Half-Giant would be equivalent to a 2nd-level character. The stomp ability works exactly the same way a spell would, just read "manifester" as "caster" and "power" as "spell".

As far as the effects of Large size: -1 to hit, -1 to AC, +4 to Grapple checks, -4 to Hide checks, you take up a 10ft square instead of a 5ft square, your melee attack reach is 10ft instead of 5ft, and your carrying capacity is twice the value on the table.

here is a quick half giant i threw together on a char builder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tn41Z0AecXm4RLgZV67PZ6TTMjaOiFjJIYYFdKp3YvenjHWEy-N0en9C4bXYR2FMXmobopwVeklGQ4Aa/view?usp=sharing

not sure if its good but im trying to see whats gonna work out im to much of a noob lol

MagmaCam
2016-07-05, 09:03 PM
No you add -1 to your attack bonus NOT your damage .

Your rock throwing would have a different attack bonus to your melee great sword . I think its only +1 for you .

ok so like this than: http://prntscr.com/bpbvjr

I very much appreciate the help I would have before seen this as a excellent character without doing revisions, glad i made the decision to ask others :)

Pugwampy
2016-07-06, 04:29 AM
The rock tossing uses your Fighter attack bonus (+1) plus dex bonus <which you dont have much of> , because you are tossing it and not holding it .

Range weapons use Dex not Str so no +10 Att for your rock .

The rock damage itself will be normal strength bonus .

Your rock throwing should look like +1 +1 Att Dam 2d6 + 10