PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Need Backstory for druid

TheShribe
2016-07-05, 08:57 PM
I need a backstory for my Yuan-ti LN Druid. I'm not really experienced with backstories, so what I've got is something like this.

Drell was raised by some Old Druid Guy who found him (as an egg?) in the forest. He taught him the druidy ways and eventually gets killed by some old enemy/dies some other way. Drell is left to seek revenge/get sweet loot or something like that via adventuring party.

So that is pretty much everything I thought of, idk how he joined up with the party, if anyone could help that would be great.

Geddy2112
2016-07-05, 10:09 PM
For a low level character, that is all you need. That is more or less the concept in a nutshell. you can add some details like particular region, favorite part of nature/type of druididy stuff they do , overall personality and demeanor, but that is really it.

You don't want to make too much more in a vacuum otherwise the character might not fit the game world. Once you know the setting and party, you can figure out how the characters met up, or maybe they all were prompted for their own reasons(yours to get revenge or the funds to do so or such) to go on quest X, or do thing Y, or all got stuck as survivors on a boat they were on when it sank or something. Likewise, the region your character is from may not fit the world, or be different.

At higher levels you can add more notable events of their fame, power, etc.

Âmesang
2016-07-05, 11:12 PM
I almost want to rip off Dragon Ball and have Drell end up being the Old Druid's murderer (but due to reasons he has no memory of it). Actually Siegfried Schtuaffen from SoulCalibur has a similar backstory, too; he kills his father by accident and is driven to such insanity that he honestly believes "someone else" performed the heinous act and he's hunting down the dæmonic sword, Soul Edge, to take vengeance.

On the one hand it feels lazy to rip them off, but on the other hand they do put a spin on the "master was killed and now I may-or-may-not be seeking revenge" storyline.

…perhaps you could work with another player and integrate each others stories together? For example if it really was someone else who killed the Old Druid, maybe that someone else is a significant character in another character's backstory and goals. "He killed your master? But he's… he's my brother!"

Kane0
2016-07-06, 12:18 AM
Want to have killed him yourself? Easy.

Yuan-ti mating and breeding is highly regulated, only doing so to make the strongest offspring.
You are an anomaly. You exist because a pair of Yuan-ti actually liked each other, and your egg had to be discarded. It was convenient for them to dump you in the woods, and thats where old druid found you.
Old druid knew a little bit about Yuan-ti so he knew couldn't just take you back, instead opting to look after you until you grew to maturity.
Unfortunately, what old druid didn't know was that part of what differentiates an adult Yuan-ti from an adolescent is its first sentient kill, a purely instinctual process given cultural significance. You lacked that cultural input and simply killed old druid one day, marking your ascent into adulthood and promptly forgetting your deed in the process. A couple days later you snap back to reality of sorts and find him dead, and so vow to get some answers while continuing his work.

Bulhakov
2016-07-06, 06:27 AM
While the concept od the adopted apprentice is OK, I'd work on the idea of why would your character even join an adventuring party (and why would the party take him in).

I'd suggest the druid master did not die, but instead left you on purpose, saying "You're an adult now, I taught you enough to survive, go and try to find your way in life now". This is also beneficial for your future as instead of an "oath of vengeance" and a powerful enemy, you get a possible powerful NPC ally that can be used by the DM in the future.

TheYell
2016-07-06, 10:28 PM
Depends on how invested your DM will be in using your backstory...

One day the old druid was visited by five ravens and told your druid, "I have been summoned. I must go at once, and alone. Await me here by the lake for a moon. When i return we must explore your future." But a year passed and the old man did not return. Your druid is now moved to leave the wilderness to find some answers...

Mastikator
2016-07-07, 12:36 AM
Some info about the party and the campaign setting would really help out. Often this stuff writes itself and you just have add it to your character.

Alternatively ask one of the other players if they could add "and this PC also knew the druid guy" OR "and this PC also knew someone who was killed by the same guy who killed the druid guy" OR "and this PC also has clues about the swell loot".

OR pick one PCs back story to tie into yours. Pick whoever is the most appropriate/willing to collaborate. All it takes is an excuse to party with one of the members.