PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia... Zap Zap!

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-01, 09:34 PM
Hey there. I own the book of Paranoia edition XP, and I wished to have a nice discussion about the weirdest game ever being created.

Anyone else is a friend of our Friend the Computer?

ZebulonCrispi
2007-07-02, 12:22 AM
I am hoping to run a paranoia game or two next quarter! The book price is a tad intimidating, though.

Kurobara
2007-07-02, 12:25 AM
Of course I am a friend of The Computer! Anyone who's not is mutant Commie scum! :smallwink:

For serious, though? I haven't played it, but I've read through it (the XP edition for me as well, it's the one my friend had) and would very much love to play it. I'd probably run it if I thought had the right sort of mindset to, but I really don't think I do.

Jack Mann
2007-07-02, 12:40 AM
Sadly, I've only read through 5th edition, widely reviled as the worst version published. I've read tantalizing hints of what the better versions are like, though, and I definitely love the premise.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-02, 12:55 AM
Sadly, I've only read through 5th edition, widely reviled as the worst version published. I've read tantalizing hints of what the better versions are like, though, and I definitely love the premise.

Citizen Jack-MAN. No such edition exists. I must ask you to kindly move to the nearest termination booth.

Citizen Kur-O-BRA. The computer in its infinite wisdom has given all citizens the right mind set to live in Alpha Complex. Do you question the computer? Join Citizen Jack-MAN.

Citizen ZebulonC-R-SPY. Not owning the book is treasonous. Chop off both of your arms so you can fit in the booth with your fellow Citizens.

Citizen SolkaTr-U-SVR. Knowledge of the "rules" and calling the Glorious Friend Computer weird is treasonous, but seeing as you are a fellow Ultraviolet, I think we can let it slide this time. Citizen Jack-MAN will be terminated a second time as punishment.

Fruan
2007-07-02, 12:58 AM
I've only run Paranoia once, but it was a total blast.

The plot, if I can call it that, was sending the troubleshooters out to go catch a moose that had gotten loose in one of Alpha Complex's nuclear plants, that was viciously killing everyone who came near.

Of course, in reality, there was no moose loose in Alpha Complex. It was just a mundane radiation leak, which the Computer had misidentified.

Result - Utter Hilarity.

Dervag
2007-07-02, 01:15 AM
Did the computer give them instructions, information, or gear relevant or useful for moose-trapping at any point during the adventure?

squishycube
2007-07-02, 02:01 AM
I ran a one-shot paranoia game once where the players ventured outside. They had a hard time not killing each other though.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-02, 02:23 AM
Played it, loved it, wrote for it, published it.

Callix
2007-07-02, 02:49 AM
Was a player in a one-shot Paranoia, where none of the players knew anything about the system. Not even by reputation. People only died through doing stupid things. Though there was a moment when I refused to get the red pen out of the bin... almost got the leader executed. Got me killed instead for being dirty. I get the feeling it wouldn't've happened if I hadn't stalled the game, but it was just getting fun...

Ikkitosen
2007-07-02, 03:50 AM
Anyone else encounter the emergency reinforcements mechanism whilst investigating outside? Your clone would die, and they'd send the next one in an express pod. Unfortunately these usually (crash) landed at about mach 3 and killed your next clone too. Genius :smallbiggrin:

Fruan
2007-07-02, 05:37 AM
Did the computer give them instructions, information, or gear relevant or useful for moose-trapping at any point during the adventure?

Hunters camouflage gear (in RED, of course), nets, survival guides, and a moose call. All of which was completely useless for so many different reasons.

They also got a cone rifle, because it makes me warm inside when troubleshooters blow each other up.

zipnab
2007-07-02, 05:50 AM
Played an one-timer, it was hilarious, although we spent only, like, ten minutes on the actual plot. Most of the time we wandered around the complex searching for the room we needed to go to, because the instruction tape was damaged and we could not hear the room's description. While the game we met an Ultra Violet villain, who mistook us for James-B-ond (:
The only thing I remember about the system is the players can affect the outcome of other characters' actions. It really fits the game's atmosphere, and funny.

Sorry about the zapless post.

Brother_Franklin
2007-07-02, 07:52 AM
As I've said other places, this was my first game. (Some older edition.) I love it with a deep passion. But I aslo tend to get snobby about people running it wrong. Playing it wrong it's virtually impossible by the way, unless your really boring in general. I love the solo mission they give you in the RED section of XP. It gives you a real feel for it.

Also remember to ignore any standand wealth by charater level concept from DnD. Everyone should have a least one proposterous thing including but not limited to:

A chainsaw that you can conceal in your pants (G)
A spray can of an invisible drug that makes people incapable of seeing color (I)
Assorted granades, some standand, some candy, some acid- unlabeled(IR)
A squirel bot skilled at stealth and survalance (Completely Illegal- what's a squirel citizen)

nerulean
2007-07-02, 07:59 AM
We played the short adventure out of the back of the book from one of the older versions. Or at least, I say we played the adventure. What we actually did was:

1) Get summoned for a mission.
2) Get issued equipment.
3) Get in a car.
4) Drive.
5) Get gassed.
6) Attempt to infiltrate a building.
7) Get through the front door.
8) Get discovered.
9) Blow the entire complex to the heavens.

Of course, this being Paranoia, two of our party members were on their fourth clones by the end of section 2. The really lucky party members only died once. The rest, without exception, took out their sixth and final clone in the explosion. From this I have drawn the conclusion that Paranoia = oneshot.

The Faceless
2007-07-02, 08:17 AM
what version of paranoia are you playing? i was once in a game where it took three weeks of play to get to the briefing room, and two people had died once on the way.

Flakey
2007-07-02, 08:41 AM
I played and dmed the original paranoia rules, and its great. Yes its more suited to a short campain or one shot adventure, but it used to make for good breaks between long more serious games.

I disliked the few other versions of the game that came out and never upgraded (I may if I find the xp system though). More because of the atitude of them, than the new rules as such. It seemed to me the makers went from letting the players kill themselves, with a little help from R&D devices etc. to the computer will screw you over, and you will die no mater what you do. I always liked to give the posibility of characters surviving, or most of the party surviving anyway, if they thought things through.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-02, 08:53 AM
I played and dmed the original paranoia rules, and its great. Yes its more suited to a short campain or one shot adventure, but it used to make for good breaks between long more serious games.

I disliked the few other versions of the game that came out and never upgraded (I may if I find the xp system though). More because of the atitude of them, than the new rules as such. It seemed to me the makers went from letting the players kill themselves, with a little help from R&D devices etc. to the computer will screw you over, and you will die no mater what you do. I always liked to give the posibility of characters surviving, or most of the party surviving anyway, if they thought things through.

I would suggest flipping through the Paranoia WMD sourcebook if you find it. It's filled with Straight missions, meaning most of the PCs can survive, but with the moral compromises and delicate deals they have to make, they might wish they didn't. Hunger, in particular, is inspired. If you ever wanted to make players ashamed of what they freely did in a mission, run them through that.

Ulsoro
2007-07-02, 08:54 AM
Gotta love paranoia.

The death, the mayhem, the look of shock on a player's face when they realize whats going on. :)

Some of the ploys they recommend are great. Like putting a styrofoam cup in your mouth then reading off the mission briefing, to simulate a broken speaker. :)

Out of 2nd and XP (the ones I've read), I think I prefer the old 2nd edition, but XP looks decent too.

I'm not sure if this is treasonous, but there is a recorded game of a Paranoia one-shot on http://rpgmp3.com/

Specifically at: http://rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

That was my first introduction to Paranoia, and it left quite an impression. :)

Flakey
2007-07-02, 09:07 AM
I would suggest flipping through the Paranoia WMD sourcebook if you find it. It's filled with Straight missions, meaning most of the PCs can survive, but with the moral compromises and delicate deals they have to make, they might wish they didn't. Hunger, in particular, is inspired. If you ever wanted to make players ashamed of what they freely did in a mission, run them through that.

Thanks I will :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-07-02, 09:16 AM
Friend Computer has not seen fit to provide me with fellow citizens in my sector who wish to play Paranoia. However, I might just force my D&D group to play a one shot, if I can learn the rules well enough to GM, and find a legit copy of the full rulebook (torrents are for Commie Mutant Traitors, and Computer Phreaks, who do not exist and must be terminated).

Attempting to play Paranoia in an environment as slow as play by post has, in my experience, been boring (and therefore treasonous.)

Dairun Cates
2007-07-02, 01:17 PM
Friend Computer has not seen fit to provide me with fellow citizens in my sector who wish to play Paranoia. However, I might just force my D&D group to play a one shot, if I can learn the rules well enough to GM, and find a legit copy of the full rulebook (torrents are for Commie Mutant Traitors, and Computer Phreaks, who do not exist and must be terminated).

Attempting to play Paranoia in an environment as slow as play by post has, in my experience, been boring (and therefore treasonous.)

Citizen Nerd-O-RMA. This is no excuse. Friend Computer has graciously provided us with www.paranoia-live.net a C-net address where weary Troubleshooters can simulate the Mandatory Fun of everyday Alpha Complex life online with various other live Troubleshooters. It takes a bit to set up, but once you're done, you can play, watch, or GM (only if you're Ultraviolet) to your hearts content.