PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Some Additional New Spells

Goober4473
2016-07-05, 10:42 PM
I've been posting some threads with new spells in them, but i figure it'd be more efficient to post them all at once. Here's my full list of new spells, most of which are for non-fire dragon sorcerers, to give them some new spells (in addition to some that Kryx posted that I liked), plus a few others like Enkindle for warlocks that don't like to deal necrotic damage (like undying light warlocks) and Lance of Faith for a second cleric attack cantrip option.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Acid Rain
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer
7th-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

A storm made of gelatinous, acidic droplets appears in a location you choose within range. The area of the storm consists of up to ten 10-foot cubes, which you can arrange as you wish. Each cube must have at least once face adjacent to the face of another cube. Each creature in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 7d10 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Bad Medicine
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
7th-level necromancy
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a small wicker doll)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Choose a creature within range that you can see. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 12d6 poison damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. On a failed save, the target is also poisoned for the duration. While poisoned in this way, the target has disadvantage on saving throws, attack rolls against it have advantage, its movement speed is halved, it can’t take reactions, and it can take only an action or a bonus action during its turn, not both. Furthermore, it takes 4d6 poison at the start of each of its turns. The target can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a successful save.

Caustic Caress
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Conjuration cantrip

You conjure forth an immaterial hand dripping with acid that grasps at a creature within range. Make a spell attack against that creature. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 acid damage immediately and an additional 1d4 acid damage at the start of its next turn.

This spell’s damage, both initial and at the start of the creature’s next turn, increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

Caustic Geyser
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
8th-level transmutation
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a broken piece of glass)

Choose a point you can see on the ground within range. A fountain of corrosive liquid erupts in a 30-foot cube centered on that point. Each creature in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 10d8 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, the ground in that area becomes difficult terrain until repaired or smoothed.

Cold Snap
9th-level evocation
Range: 400 feet

Choose a point that you can see within range. Each creature within 40 feet of that point must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 20d6 cold damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. A creature that fails the save is also paralyzed for the duration. A creature cannot be immune to this paralysis, but is not affected if it is immune to cold damage. While frozen in this way, a target takes 4d6 cold damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a successful save.

The area of the spell drops to -20 degrees Fahrenheit for the duration, if it is not already colder. A creature killed by this spell becomes a frozen statue until it thaws. Water in the area is also frozen solid until it thaws.

Corrosive Pillars
9th-level evocation

You conjure up to eight points within range. A flowing pillar of corrosive green liquid erupts from each point in a 10-foot radius. Each pillar is 100 feet tall, extending upward from the point you choose. The pillars are opaque, and each foot of movement through them costs 3 feet of movement. A creature that moves into or starts its turn inside one of the pillars must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 20d6 acid damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Coruscating Sphere
Evocation cantrip
Range: 60 feet

You create a crackling orb of electricity at a point you can see within range. Each creature within 5 feet of that point must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 1d4 lightning damage on a failed save.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

Enkindle
Classes: Warlock
1st-level enchantment
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a twig or other piece of kindling)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You choose a creature you can see within range and imbue it with a glow of warmth. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack, and creatures have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) checks they make to locate it visually. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.

Freezing Fog
8th-level conjuration

A bank of frigid fog appears in a 20-foot radius. The cloud spreads around corners and is heavily obscured. It lasts for the duration or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it. The fog is incredibly thick. For each 1 foot of movement through the fog, a creature must spend 3 feet of movement.

When the cloud appears, each creature in it must make a Constitution saving throw. A creature takes 9d8 cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature must also make this saving throw when it enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.

The cloud moves 10 feet directly away from you in a direction that you choose at the start of each of your turns.

Freeze Solid
7th-level evocation
Components: V, S, M (a tiny box with a crystal inside)

Choose a creature that you can see within range. The target must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 8d6 cold damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. A creature that fails the save is also paralyzed for the duration. A creature cannot be immune to this paralysis, but is not affected if it is immune to cold damage. While frozen in this way, the target takes 4d6 cold damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a successful save.

Hurricane
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer
9th-level conjuration
Range: 1 mile or 300 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You create a howling hurricane of black storm clouds overhead. If you are outdoors, the hurricane spreads outwards in a 1 mile radius, and the clouds occupy the sky at their normal height. If you are not outside, they appear as high up as possible, filling an area 30 feet tall and spreading as far as they can until interrupted or until they would no longer be indoors, up to 300 feet in radius. If the ceiling is not at least 30 feet high, the spell fails. The clouds follow you, keeping you at their center. Should you move inside or outside, the clouds move to the sky or ceiling as if you had cast the spell there.

The clouds block out all light from above, and the area beneath them is filled with strong wind and heavy rain. As described on page 110 of the DMG, strong wind imposes disadvantage on ranged weapon attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing. The wind also extinguishes open flames, disperses fog, and makes flying by nonmagical means nearly impossible. A flying creature in a strong wind must land at the end of its turn or fall. Everything within an area of heavy rain is lightly obscured, and creatures in the area have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. Heavy rain also extinguishes open flames and imposes disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.

When you cast this spell, you can choose to include an eye of the storm, at least 10 feet and up to 1000 feet in radius. The clouds, wind, and rain do not apply within that radius around you. You cannot target any of the effects below within the eye.

When you cast this spell, and again on each of your turns as an action, you can summon one of the following effects.

Buffeting Wind. Choose a point you can see within range. Each creature within 40 feet of that point must make a Strength saving throw, taking 4d10 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. A creature that fails its save is also knocked prone and pushed 20 feet in the direction of your choice (but not up). The direction must be the same for all creatures affected each time you use this effect.

Lightning Strike. Choose a point you can see within range. A bolt of lightning flashes down from the cloud to that point. Each creature within 5 feet of that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 8d10 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Thunder Clap. Choose a point you can see within range. Each creature within 20 feet of that point must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 6d10 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. A creature that fails this save is also deafened for one minute. Such a creature can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the deafening effect on itself on a successful save.

Lance of Faith
Classes: Cleric
Evocation cantrip
Range: 60 feet

You fire a beam of glowing light at a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, you deal 1d4 radiant damage, and the target is imbued with holy energy. The first time it is hit by an attack made by a creature other than you before the start of your next turn, it takes an additional 1d6 radiant damage from that attack.

This spell’s damage, both the initial damage and the extra damage to the imbued target, increases by 1d4 and 1d6 respectively when you reach 5th level (2d4 and 2d6), 11th level (3d4 and 3d6), and 17th level (4d4 and 4d6).

Poison Breath
Classes: Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
3rd-level conjuration
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a glass vile)
Duration: 1 minute

You breath a puff of inhaled poison at a creature within range. The target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target is poisoned, and suffers one of the following effects. At the end of each of its turns, the creature can make another Constitution saving throw. On a success, the effect ends for the target. A creature that does not breathe cannot be affected, but a creature cannot hold its breath to avoid this spell.

Burnt Othur Fumes. The target takes 4d6 poison damage at the start of each of its turns while poisoned by this spell.

Essence of Ether. The creature is unconscious while poisoned by this spell. It wakes up if it takes damage or if another creature takes an action to shake it awake.

Malice. The target is blinded and deafened while poisoned by this spell.

Poison Thorns
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
2nd-level abjuration
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute

Thorny vines dripping with poison cover you and your gear. Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you makes a melee attack against you, you can use your reaction to prick that creature with these vines. Make a melee spell attack against it. On a hit, it takes 1d6 piercing damage and 1d6 poison damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the poison damage increases by 1d6 for each spell slot above 3rd.

Storm Bolt
7th-level evocation

You create three bolts of lightning and hurl them at targets within range. You can hurl them at one target or several. Make a ranged spell attack for each bolt. On a hit, the target takes 5d10 lightning damage.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, you create one additional bolt for each slot level above 7th.

Toxic Corruption
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
9th-level necromancy

You conjure toxic death and unleash it on your enemies. Each creature you choose within range becomes infected. Each infected creature must make a Constitution saving throw at the start of each of its turns. On a failed save, a creature takes 1d6 necrotic and 1d6 poison damage, is poisoned until the start of its next turn, and the damage increases by a cumulative 1d6 necrotic and 1d6 poison damage on subsequent rounds for that creature. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage, is not poisoned, and the damage does not increase for it that round. If an infected creature saves 3 times, the effect ends for it.

Wall of Lightning
8th-level conjuration
Components: V, S, M (a thin wire of copper)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You create a wall of twisted metal wires, crackling with lightning. The wall appears within range on a solid surface and lasts for the duration. You choose to make the wall up to 60 feet long, 10 feet high, and 5 feet thick or a circle that has a 20-foot diameter and is up to 20 feet high and 5 feet thick. The wall blocks line of sight and sheds bright light out to 20 feet, and dim light for another 20.

When the wall appears, each creature within its area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 10d8 lightning damage, or half as much damage on a successful save.

A creature can move through the wall, albeit slowly and painfully. For every 1 foot a creature moves through the wall, it must spend 4 feet of movement. Furthermore, the first time a creature enters the wall on a turn or ends its turn there, the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 10d8 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 9th level, the damage increases by 1d8.

zeek0
2016-07-06, 02:03 AM
I didn't read most of the spells, as they are too late-game to catch my interest (I don't think I've ever played past level 11).

But here's some general feedback on the lower-level spells:

Caustic Caress: This spell deals an average of 5 damage, which is less than fire bolt (which both wizard and sorcerer get). fire bolt will always be a better option.

Coruscating Sphere: A direct comparison would be acid splash. You trade 1 point of average damage so you can deal it to all nearby enemies. I think this is a good trade.

Enkindle: This is comparable to hex. I think that the trade you made on the abilities is reasonable. It's not as strong as Hunter's Mark, but then again I don't think that it should be.

Poison Breath: I really like the multiple options that this spell gives. The second two options are well-balanced. I think that the first option should deal less damage. The DMG recommends 34 average damage for a 3rd-level, single target spell that does not deal half damage on a successful save. This spell deals 14 average damage each turn, but I think it is likely to last for three turns or more. Your call.

The flavor of poison breath might merit a range of 10 feet(?).

Poison Thorns: I think that this is a conjuration spell.

Goober4473
2016-07-06, 02:55 AM
Caustic Caress: This spell deals an average of 5 damage, which is less than fire bolt (which both wizard and sorcerer get). fire bolt will always be a better option.

It does also force two concentration saves, and benefits more from Elemental Adept. Not sure if that really makes the difference though. I had considered 1d6 secondary damage, but make it the end of their turn, not start.

Coruscating Sphere: A direct comparison would be acid splash. You trade 1 point of average damage so you can deal it to all nearby enemies. I think this is a good trade.

Enkindle: This is comparable to hex. I think that the trade you made on the abilities is reasonable. It's not as strong as Hunter's Mark, but then again I don't think that it should be.

Nice, thanks. :smallcool:

Poison Breath: I really like the multiple options that this spell gives. The second two options are well-balanced. I think that the first option should deal less damage. The DMG recommends 34 average damage for a 3rd-level, single target spell that does not deal half damage on a successful save. This spell deals 14 average damage each turn, but I think it is likely to last for three turns or more. Your call.

The flavor of poison breath might merit a range of 10 feet(?).

I think the typical is to assume a successful save 50% of the time. I believe that comes out to about 28 (8d6) average damage. It'll do better against weaker enemies, but most of the big ones you want to do tons of single target damage to will have higher Con saves.

I originally had the range be 10 feet, but made it a little longer since it felt maybe too weak for a 3rd level spell.

Poison Thorns: I think that this is a conjuration spell.

I was torn here. It is both a defensive spell and creating a thing.

Gastronomie
2016-07-06, 03:29 AM
I love these. Some are basically the same as existing ones, but many are both unique and versatile. And their names are kewl.

I especially liked Coruscating Sphere (cantrip that can damage multiple enemies at the same time), Hurricane (Storm of Vengeance done right), and Poison Breath (sorta like Bestow Curse, but thematic in a different direction and will serve a lot of interesting characters).