PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Defense agiants charm effects?

PiggDaddy
2016-07-05, 11:26 PM
My question here is pretty simple. What, if any, magical items or simular means within the currently published dnd 5e material offer resistance or immunity to charm effects? I haven't been able to find any thus far, which seems strange. Am I just missing somthing obvious?

MaxWilson
2016-07-05, 11:28 PM
Stand within 10' of a Paladin of Devotion (level 7+).

True Polymorph yourself into a ghoul/flameskull/whatever.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-05, 11:56 PM
Elves get Fey Ancestry, that gives advantage versus being charmed.

AmayaElls
2016-07-06, 12:03 AM
The Bardic Countercharm ability grants advantage on saves against charmed and frightened effects.
Heroes Fest also gives advantage on all wisdom saves, which include charm effects.
Protection from good and evil if you can pick what is charming you.

Be a Gnome or a Elf/half elf for advantage.
Be a tenth level fey warlock to use beguiling defences to turn the charm back on your enemy.
Be a fighter with the Indomitable ability might redo their save.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 12:07 AM
The Bardic Countercharm ability grants advantage on saves against charmed and frightened effects.
Heroes Fest also gives advantage on all wisdom saves, which include charm effects.
Protection from good and evil if you can pick what is charming you.

Be a Gnome or a Elf/half elf for advantage.
Be a tenth level fey warlock to use beguiling defences to turn the charm back on your enemy.
Be a fighter with the Indomitable ability might redo their save.

Indomitable doesn't really help if you already have a bad chance at passing the save to begin with.

I wouldn't recommend spending 9 levels in a class for that feature. Though a combination of Paladin 6/Fighter 9 would make indomitable actually useful.

AmayaElls
2016-07-06, 12:41 AM
Indomitable doesn't really help if you already have a bad chance at passing the save to begin with.

I wouldn't recommend spending 9 levels in a class for that feature. Though a combination of Paladin 6/Fighter 9 would make indomitable actually useful.

Oh yes, the last three were more a case of "these help, but it's not like you're going to build your whole character around resistance to charm."
Dipping into any class for a single feature against charm seems weird, I just thought I should mention them because technically it would help.

Kane0
2016-07-06, 12:45 AM
Protection from Good/Evil is a 1st level spell that gives you immunity for up to 10 mins with Concentration vs Aberrations, Celestials, Elementals, Fey, Fiends and Undead.
So thats pretty much everything that would likely charm you except for dragons and people.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-07-06, 01:07 AM
My question here is pretty simple. What, if any, magical items or simular means within the currently published dnd 5e material offer resistance or immunity to charm effects? I haven't been able to find any thus far, which seems strange. Am I just missing somthing obvious?

7th level monks can negate any charm effect on themselves.

MaxWilson
2016-07-06, 01:41 AM
7th level monks can negate any charm effect on themselves.

As long as that charm effect hasn't incapacitated them or otherwise prevented them from taking actions.

tieren
2016-07-06, 08:29 AM
Fey-locks get Beguiling defenses.

If its from a charm spell there are items like the ring of spell turning.
Any "of protection" item gives a plus to the save.
afb, but I believe there is a staff of charming that gives the same effect as beguiling defenses (plus some other effects)

N810
2016-07-06, 09:19 AM
Frenzying* barbarian.
(or was it just rage)*

Sneak Dog
2016-07-06, 10:14 AM
Frenzying* barbarian.
(or was it just rage)*

Frenzy, level 6 feature of the Path of the Berserker.
Immune to charm/frighten effects. If they were there before starting the frenzy, they get suspended for the duration of the rage.

Dalebert
2016-07-07, 12:09 AM
Gnomes get advantage on any magic saves using int, wis, or cha. This is so crazy awesome. I'm surprised gnomes aren't more popular for it.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 12:24 AM
Gnomes get advantage on any magic saves using int, wis, or cha. This is so crazy awesome. I'm surprised gnomes aren't more popular for it.

Gnomes are one of the more popular Eldritch Knight candidates.

It also makes indomitable useful for more than Str/Con saves.

TheFlyingCleric
2016-07-07, 12:37 AM
Mind Blank spell. Immunity to charm full stop, plus a bunch of other goodies, such as protecting you from wish! Lasts 24 hours.

Klorox
2016-07-07, 12:42 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Gnomes are great!

Dalebert
2016-07-07, 11:21 AM
Taking the feat Resilient for your wisdom would help with a lot. I suggest you build with an odd wisdom score if you're planning it.

Segev
2016-07-07, 11:31 AM
Is there a specific Charm effect which you're trying to avoid? A lot of them have more specific defenses. The generic Charm effect is...fairly lackluster, honestly. (Which is why when it is the primary enforcer of a supposedly-stronger mechanic, it fails awfully miserably. See: geas)

Dalebert
2016-07-07, 11:41 AM
Another one, though this one is tricky to obtain to say the least, is to die in Barovia and hope for the curse that says you're treated as undead with respect to spells and effects. Just be ready for the fact that on top of all the fun immunities, you'd also be immune to Cure Wounds, Healing Word, and Raise Dead, and a few other beneficial spells.