PDA

View Full Version : Ways around Intimidate Immunity

TheCrowing1432
2016-07-05, 11:45 PM
Hey Im making an intimidate barbarian/champion of gwynharwyf

Imperious Command+Intimidating Rage+Never Out Numbered

Problem obviously is creatures immune to fear/mind affecting.

Is there a way around this? Preferably in a magic item because feats and classes are a bit tight for the build.

Venger
2016-07-06, 12:35 AM
No. The only ways to ignore fear immunity are dread witch's greater master of terror and horrific aura and song of the dead, neither of which affect the intimidate skill.

Thurbane
2016-07-06, 12:50 AM
IIRC correctly, I've seen some people argue that Intimidate isn't a "mind affecting attack" as such, so while Fear Immunity would specifically block it, but generic immunity to mind-affecting may not.

Not saying I agree with either ruling, just that I have seen it hotly debated in the past.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-07-06, 04:24 AM
IIRC correctly, I've seen some people argue that Intimidate isn't a "mind affecting attack" as such, so while Fear Immunity would specifically block it, but generic immunity to mind-affecting may not.

Not saying I agree with either ruling, just that I have seen it hotly debated in the past.
There's been a lot of ruleslawyering about this, but i'll try to summarize what i remember of the arguments. The quote from the section on fear goes like this:

All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects.
The only place i know of where "attack" is defined is the invisibility spell:

For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (...)
There is the "for purposes of this spell" clause as a possible loophole, but the definition is generally agreed on.

Now the main argument is that Intimidate is never explicitly named as a fear effect. Just that

A character immune to fear can’t be intimidated, nor can nonintelligent creatures.
Some people take that to mean that intimidate is a fear effect (all of which are mind-affecting) and thus blocked by mind-affecting immunity.
Others interpret it as intimidate specifically being blocked by fear immunity despite not being a mind-affecting fear effect, so mind-affecting doesn't do anything to protect from it.

Make of it what you will.