PDA

View Full Version : 'Faerie Ball' - fun & chaotic social puzzle

shockeroo
2016-07-06, 01:05 AM
This is an encounter I put together as part of a one-shot a few months ago. It was very well received, ended with much chaos and laughter, and my players still talk about it, so I thought I'd share it here in case anybody else wants to use it in their own game. The Faeries in this encounter are not the d20 race, but Faeries of British folklore (think A Midsummer Night's Dream) - forest-dwelling magical elves, with great power and odd customs.

The party needed to retrieve a McGuffin, which the Elven guardians of the forest told them was in the possession of the Faerie King. They tell the party that the Faerie King is currently holding a ball and should not be disturbed, but not to worry, it'll be over in a hundred years or so(!)

The party insisted on directions, and were given them, but told, "Be very careful with your etiquette lest you anger the faeries. They're very particular about hospitality, sensitive of their rank and status and getting the proper respect."

On arrival (to a large forest glade in my game), the party were met by a faerie butler who insisted they each take a canape before going any further. In my game of six players, five characters ate one, and the sixth left. As-written, you do need five players to take a canape if they're to attempt the puzzle, so some cajoling or charm effect may be required!

The canapes imbued each character with some knowledge, and a curse. I wrote out the following on 5 pieces of paper, and gave them out at random:

1) You can only speak in rhyme.
You know that a faerie King or Queen wears a crown of golden leaves.
You know that a faerie Prince or Princess is addressed "Your Highness".

2) You can only speak in sentences of six words exactly.
You know that a faerie Prince or Princess wears a brooch of golden leaves.
You know that a faerie Duke or Duchess is addressed "Your Grace".

3) You must begin each sentence with "In the darkness of the forest", and end each sentence with, "So it is said".
You know that a faerie Duke or Duchess wears a brooch of green leaves.
You know that a faerie Count or Countess is addressed "Right Honorable Sir/Lady".

4) You may only speak in a whisper.
You know that a faerie Count or Countess wears a necklace of berries.
You know that a faerie Marquess or Marquis is addressed "Most Honorable Sir/Lady".

5) You must say everything as fast as you possibly can.
You know that a faerie Marquess or Marquis wears a necklace of twigs.
You know that a faerie King or Queen is addressed "Your Majesty"

The party are then shown in as one song ends, and another begins. Five faeries, one of each rank, stand before the players expectantly.

Now sit back with some popcorn and enjoy the show as your players frantically try to tell each other everything they need to know to appropriately address their dance partners, while struggling with the curses!

From here you can take it wherever you like! My players managed to address their partners appropriately, and after the dance the faerie King complimented them on their 'pretty manners' and offered them a boon.

I hope is of use to some of you, and brings your group as much laughter as it did mine. Enjoy! :)

hamishspence
2016-07-06, 02:10 AM
2) You can only speak in sentences of six words exactly.
You know that a faerie Prince or Princess wears a brooch of golden leaves.
You know that a faerie Duke or Duchess is addressed "Your Grace".

3) You must begin each sentence with "In the darkness of the forest", and end each sentence with, "So it is said".

I'm guessing that this should be "paragraph" or "set of sentences" rather than single sentence - since you can't fit "In the darkness of the forest" and "so it is said" both into one six word sentence.

goto124
2016-07-06, 02:19 AM
I'm guessing that this should be "paragraph" or "set of sentences" rather than single sentence - since you can't fit "In the darkness of the forest" and "so it is said" both into one six word sentence.

Each curse is on a separate character, not all on the same character.

Socratov
2016-07-06, 02:23 AM
Ooh, I like this, I like this a lot. I may have to steal this one.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-06, 08:48 AM
And I even have a court that is all about games and wagers...