PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War Expanded Base Class Archetypes Class Tier List

shawshank
2016-07-06, 11:06 AM
***Doing the first 3 as a walkthrough. I will have to clean this up at some point and make it pretty. For now it is just jumbled thoughts. Feedback welcome***

****Actually, I think I should probably do a write-up for each archetype. They change the base classes so much they are practically different classes. I think I will have the tier list here with a link to the writeup for each one(two in the case of Warpath Follower and Polymath). That way I can go in depth as to what qualifies each for the tier I assign in detail.****

So, I decided to go through each of the new archetypes in Path of War Expanded and rank the tier increases that occur from these trades.
***Note that every new archetype trades some of its normal class abilities to gain full initiator levels with maneuvers that cap at 6th level. Very similar to bard casting but maneuvers instead of magic.

****As a precursor to the classes I wanted to give players and GM/DM's alike some information before you get started. So, basically all path of war classes are somewhere in tier 3 according to the tier list descriptions. I would propose that a new tier be invented that falls between tier 3 and tier 2. Let's just call it Tier 3#(cuz I program that's why!).

Tier 3# - Able to do two or more things as well as classes that specialize in it and able to contribute in several other ways. Does not have any "Nuke's" for an encounter but possibly a single opponent. Far more endurance than other classes and can easily adventure all day without rest.

So that is what I would call Tier 3#. As you can see it is more powerful than tier 3 but does not have world ending power like Tier 2. I have always felt there was a chasm between tier 3 and tier 2 that seemed like the Grand Canyon at times. This, to me, fills that gap.

Barbarian (Primal Disciple) - Tier 3#
Bard (Rubato) - Tier 3#. Somewhat different play-style but you end up in a familiar place.
Dread(Nightmare) - Tier 3#(possibly tier 2 with perfect optimization) - Fixes all the weaknesses of Intimidate and makes them even stronger. Also adds additional defense and creepiness in being able to go incorporeal practically at will as well as countering and flat-out negating any attack with a strong autohypnosis check.
Fighter(Myrmiddon) - Tier 4/Tier 3# when optimized(New Mastery Books) - Gives up 5 fighter bonus feats for 2 more skill points, a better skill list, maneuvers and Grit with way better abilities than the old grit. HUGE BUFF
Marksman(Mind's Eye Disciple) - Tier 3# - Everything you lose is replaced by something that does what you lost better plus utility.
Monk(Monk of the Silver fist) - Unchained Monk(tier3#) Regular monk(Strong tier 4/low Tier 3 when optimized) - Very tanky archetype with some really good maneuverability. However, you lose flurry of blows which also means flurry style and the ability to gain extra attacks while flurrying. Also lose stunning fist but you can get that back later with a feat.]
Paladin(Knight Disciple) - Tier 3 to Tier 3# not sure yet. - Ok, so you are still a Paladin but more of a Knight for sure. You lose a lot but maneuvers and the replacement abilities buff you overall.
Ranger(Ambush Hunter) - Tier 3# - This Ranger is a badarse. The damage.. oh the damage.. This archetype is firmly entrenched to me as THE Ranger archetype to play!
Rogue(Hidden Blade) - Tier 3# - You give up 5 Rogue talents which are not great in exchange for maneuvers and gambits(which are awesome), and a bonus feat. You do not even need to play unchained with this as you can simply pick up Deadly Agility at 3 and go HAM!
Soulknife(War Soul) - Tier 3# - You give up Psychic Strike and a couple blade talents for maneuvers and some ridiculously strong Blade Skill choices. Also, the recovery mechanic is ridiculously easy to pull off. The Gifted Blade, by comparison, adds more utility to the class(not compatible with War Soul) and also raises the Soulknife to tier 3. For damage and action economy abuse, the War Soul is the better choice. If you want more utility outside of combat, the Gifted Blade is probably better.
Psychic Warrior(Pathwalker) - Tier 3# - Let me get this straight... you gain 6th level maneuvers but you do not lose your Psychic Warrior manifesting? Alright then. So what do I give up then? Oh Psionic Proficiency? Ok. I guess if I am an assassin.. but half the time I don't even care about this. What else? Bonus feats at 2 and 11. That kinda sucks but I get a ton of maneuvers that mimic feats soo..Path skills at 7th and 11th? I mean ok but don't I gain a ton of awesome skill uses with maneuvers plus additional class skills? yeah.... So Psychic Warrior was already tier 3 to start with... Oh and the paths are better now with the Pathwalker than they EVER were with the base class... wtf..
Inquisitor(Warpath Follower) - Tier 3# - TLDR you are stronger than before! - So you lose all your judgements and can cast 1 spell less per spell level. Sounds like a lot I know but, compared to manuevers, judgements suck! The maneuver mechanic is more random than normal, though you can fix it and even exploit it with some feats. You also gain proficiency and weapon focus with your deity's favored weapon for free so pick a good one! As an added bonus, you can also use this weapon as your divine focus! At 4th level you gain the equivalent of Extra Granted Maneuver for free as well.
Warpriest(Warpath Follower) - Tier 3# - TLDR - Will be behind in gold early but catchup later. Overall a stronger Tier 3. - Ok, so the Warpriest actually gives up some things maneuvers can not replace. The sacred weapon lasts rounds per day so is not amazing though it is useful. The armor effectively saves you gold which maneuvers simple can not replace, at least directly. The aspect of War thing is level 20 and is easily replaced by better stances that you acquire much earlier. The spell per level is replaceable by maneuvers fairly easily as well. The rest is the same as the Inquisitor. I tend to lean toward the gold situation working out in your favor overall because the amount of miscellaneous items you will not need because of maneuvers and stances. I could be wrong but it will certainly be close. I forgot to mention you lose the scaling damge that caps at 2d6 and can scale with size increases which is a loss. However, there are stances that can increase your damage by +2d6 per swing or more which counters the majority of the difference. Add in boosts and the overall higher damage of strikes and it either breaks even or you may still do a bit more damage than before.
Alchemist(Polymath) - Tier 3# - TLDR - Was already tier 3 and is now far stronger. - The loss of poison resistance, immunity and use seem like a big deal until you notice that the steel serpent discipline gives all that back plus 100 more things better. Don't believe me? There is a FIRST LEVEL STANCE that grants poison use and increases the save DC of ALL poisons by 1 for every 2 initiator levels! Are you friggin kidding me? So by 10th level a DC 15 poison is DC 20! Tell me again what the biggest gripe about poison use is again? Oh yeah the low save dcs....yeah... Losing 1 extract per level costs you some of your versatility but the maneuvers gives you so many options to exploit your stat buffs with it is just insane! You damage will double, at least!
Investigator(Polymath) - Tier 3# - TLDR - Considered a borderline tier 3-4 class before, is now firmly entrenched as tier 3. Basically the same thing as the Alchemist but better in poison use because the Investigator is already a natural assassin so Steel Serpent just feeds that urge to the extreme. Enjoy 1-shotting anything within 2 CR of you!

Barbarian (Primal Disciple)
Details: Barbarian with a touch of animalist that uses maneuvers based on Wisdom. Do not worry about being MAD as by 7th level you can add your wisdom mod to damage if you choose to. Or you could keep wisdom at 10-14 like you did with normal barbarians. Maneuvers have no stat requirements.

What you lose - All rage powers except for level 2, fast movement and trap sense.

What you gain - Golden Lion, Piercing Thunder, Primal Fury and Thrashing Dragon Disciplines for your "bardic" maneuver progression. You also get a bonus feat at 1st and 6th level consisting of feats from Path of War. These are excellent ranging from initiating a maneuver as part of a charge or attack of opportunity to gaining temporary hitpoints to two-weapon fighting based off of strength instead of dexterity.
Golden Lion - Turns you into a pseudo Bard with party wide buffs and giving teammates extra attacks and movement. Skill: Diplomacy
Piercing Thunder - Everything primal fury missed is covered here except for Body Bludgeon. =( ***Let's you dual wield 2-handed piercing weapons*** Skil: Acrobatics
Primal Fury - Gives you most of your lost rage powers back in maneuvers including pounce. Sadly, Body Bludgeon is not replaced. Skill: Survival
Thrashing Dragon - Fixes everything wrong with dual wielding and I mean everything. Also has some great counters. Skill: Acrobatics

As you can see there are three distinct builds that show up very quickly. If you want to be a dual wielding pouncer you will invest heavily into Thrashing Dragon/Piercing Thunder with a dash of Primal Fury for pouncing and a dash of golden lion to buff damage even more.

If you want to be a 2-handed charger you will invest heavily into Primal Fury and Piercing thunder. You will invest moderately into Golden Lion for positioning and you will barely even look at thrashing dragon aside from a counter or two.

The third option is to be a battlefield manipulator investing heavily into Golden Lion while dipping into the other 3 as you see fit. This third option relies the least on Raging as you will be less effective while raging since several of the counters rely on the Diplomacy skill which is a no-go while raging. This is incorrect. Thank you Psybomb: Here is the excert taken from Page 35 of Path of War Expanded:
Maneuver Skill Checks and Rage
Why do maneuvers use such seemingly odd skills like Perform, Craft, Sleight of Hand, or Survival as part of initiating their maneuvers?
Warriors the world over would practice actions that imitated their fighting style to improve their efficiency, from the swordsman who learned dances to improve his footwork to the spearman whose gentle and precise touch could craft a beautiful vase, or pierce an artery in a flash. As such, maneuvers which require skill rolls to function are atypical of normal skill checks and do not always follow the normal rules for using skill checks. If an initiator performs a maneuver that requires a skill check when normally that skill check would be disallowed (such as during a rage) he may still initiate the maneuver and perform the skill check as normal.

Damage wise you will be about the same, maybe slightly better than before. What makes the Primal Disciple tier 3 is the ability to do other things far better than ever before. This is primary because of Golden Lion. It's ability to manipulate the battlefield and buff your companions in an unthinkable for a barbarian before support/leadership role really takes the cake. Also, it is almost impossible to be denied a charge as there are several boosts/strikes and even stances that allow you to flat out avoid the confines of your environment. Even flying charges are available.

Also, for one trait, you can swap out one of your disciplines for an entirely new one. Want to play a Chaotic Good Primal Disciple with a 2-hander of pain and a touch of paladin? Swap out Thrashing Dragon for Silver Crane and start healing party members while charging. Want to be an evil intimidating monster that creates panic among your enemies? Swap out Thrashing Dragon for Black Seraph and take strength to intimidate feat. ETC.ETC.

[B]Bard(Rubato)
Details - Loses a significant amount of Bard utility (no spellcasting) to double or even triple your damage burst potential. Still plays and feels like a bard but inches toward a maneuver rogue with music.

What you lose - All spellcasting. Also your bardic music is almost completely changed with only inspire courage, inspire competence and soothing performance remaining. Less versatile version of "versatile performance" (only works with discipline class skills(Spellcraft, Diplomacy, Perform(Dance))

What you gain - Maneuvers with the same progression as the lost spellcasting (Elemental Flux(spellcraft), Golden Lion(diplomacy) and Mithral Current(Perform(Dance)). You also add a lot of new types of music effects based on incredible burst potential. At 6th level you get a song that increases the damage you deal with a single attack by 50%. At 14th you can maximize your damage with a strike. You can stack these two musics to get 150% of max damage from a single strike. At 9th level you get a haste song for the party. As you can see there are a lot more damage based music abilities added to the class. The capstone is the ability to maintain two bardic performances at once. Keep in mind that the 6th level song(Fortissimo) and the 14th level song(Crescendo) break the music rules in that they can be used in conjunction with any other music. They are INCREDIBLY expensive to use which is why I say burst damage and not sustainable. More than a couple rounds of this and you will be out of music for the day.

Tempo - This is the biggest addition outside of maneuvers. So tempo lets you break some rules. It is a resource that you only have during combat. You start every combat with Tempo = 1/2 level + Charisma modifier. You also gain 1 tempo every round thereafter. You can spend Tempo as if it were Animus(another resource from another class) to augment elemental flux maneuvers. You can spend 2 Tempo to gain 1 Round of Bardic Music and Vice Versa as a free action once a round. So you could spend your Tempo to buff up some Elemental Flux stuff for bursting or you could just spend 2 a round to keep adding more bardic music rounds letting inspire courage last pretty much all day. However, as you level, the more powerful bardic musics you gain require Tempo to use. The 6th level song(Fortissimo) uses 2 Tempo. The 14th level song(Crescendo) uses 4! There is a 1st level song(Metronome) that adds an additional point of tempo a round. This increases to 2 at 5th and every 5 levels after. However, if you are using this, who is using Inspire Courage etc? Managing your tempo/music is a very important part of playing the Rubato Bard.

Another change to bardic music is how it even works. The Rubato can perform visually even if the performance normally requires verbal use. For example a Rubato CAN inspire competence to sneak more as he breaks the "requires verbal" action. You can also initiate a bardic music as a free action if you spend an additional bardic music round while initiating any strike. You can do this from 1st level! So instead of burning a standard or move action to start music, you just move up and attack with a strike and pay 1 extra round to start it up for free!

So the maneuvers add different ways to do damage in Elemental Flux and different ways to buff in Golden Lion. Mithral Current is a weird discipline and honestly I do not believe it belongs with the class. I personally would swap it out for something else immediately. It is mainly for unarmed characters or light weapon users with silver weapons. The big mechanic with Mithral current is threatening while sheathing weapons and giving them silver vulnerability and doing a big burst with silvered weapons or using a boost that treats your weapons as silver. It takes some setup and the payoff can be pretty sweet considering the 150% and the 50% can stack to do some impressive things. I could see a Rubato doing upwards of 200 damage with a single strike by 10th level with a round or two of setup. Again, I just do not think it fits well. I would personally pick up a healing discipline (since you lose healing spells) or maybe thrashing dragon for dual wielding. Even one of the ranged disciplines so you can safely buff and lead while still doing respectable damage.

Fortunately, Elemental Flux and Golden Lion are excellent. Elemental Flux gives you many utility abilities that you lost with spellcasting and Golden lion adds impressive leadership and battlefield control abilities. As I said before, pick another discipline that makes more sense and replace Mithral Current if you want to be the most effective.

[B]Dread(Nightmare)
Details - Does everything it did before but better. Also adds several utility abilities it never had or you had to take with the expanded powers feat. No need to do that anymore as the maneuvers cover it for you.

What you lose - your power gained at 2nd, 8th and 14th levels as well as shadow twins and the twin abilities gained later.

What you gain - Black Seraph(Intimidate), Sleeping Goddess(Autohypnosis) and Veiled Moon(Stealth) for your "Bardic" Maneuver progression. Keep in mind you still keep your psionics as well. You also gain improved versions of the abilities you had before including the ability to initiate terrors as free action (eventually two terrors at once) as opposed to swifts and increasing the range of your terror aura from 10 to 20 feet (albeit at high level). Losing the twin is certainly a loss but the maneuvers and abilities gained for outshine this loss. You also gain the "claim" class feature that appeared with the new Harbinger class that is not covered here. Claim debuffs a creature(no save) and lasts for a number rounds = 1/2 your initiator level(min 1). You can claim targets up to your charisma mod at a time. This also opens up lots more debuffing with intimidate.

Long story short you do not ever want to swap out any of your 3 disciplines. They are pretty much perfect for you in every way. Black Seraph takes your terror mechanic and doubles if not triples its effectiveness. By 8+ level you are locking down rooms of enemies while ignoring fear immunities. Sleeping Goddess gives you another place to spend your psi points as well as giving you incredible defensive abilities. I am talking ignoring entire spells on successful autohypnosis checks. Veiled Moon gives you unparalleled movement capabilities as well as going incorporeal practically at will by 7th level or so.

Just imagine a Dread(Nightmare) walking into a room and turning incorporeal while intimidating a room full of normally immune to fear monsters. Honestly, this class could maybe inch into tier 2 territory. It has some I-Win buttons.

digiman619
2016-07-06, 05:15 PM
For the record, how do the Pathwalker (Psychic Warrior archetype) and the War Soul (Soulknife archetype) stack up?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-06, 05:59 PM
Don't forget the Warpath Follower and Polymath class templates. Would like to see your take on those.

shawshank
2016-07-06, 06:01 PM
I will add those. I have played both in games. The Warsoul is Tier 3 for sure and the Psychic Warrior is probably the best tier 3 in the game except for maybe the Nightmare.

ATalsen
2016-07-06, 06:28 PM
For the record, how do the Pathwalker (Psychic Warrior archetype) and the War Soul (Soulknife archetype) stack up?

My own take on the War Soul (after having built a few and played one) is that it improves the Soulknife immensely (as is the case of most any class granted PoW maneuvers & stances), but I can't see it taking the Soulknife above Tier 3, and I think the DSP Soulknife is already rated Tier 3, though maybe its Tier 4 naturally.

You lose your Psychic Strike, which sadly makes in incompatible with the archetype that grants psionic powers (Gifted Blade), but if you just really miss the Psychic Strike ability, you can buy that back with a feat (see the Souknife-specific DSP release: Psionics Augmented - Soulknives).

Losing only Psychic strike and the blade skills at 4th & 10th level makes War Soul compatible with the majority of other Archetypes. It’s not compatible with Cutthroat, Gifted Blade or Nimble Blade.

Mehangel
2016-07-06, 06:46 PM
Losing only Psychic strike and the blade skills at 4th & 10th level makes War Soul compatible with the majority of other Archetypes. It’s not compatible with Cutthroat, Gifted Blade or Nimble Blade.

While not in any way official, I heard one of the errata's for Path of War may include changes to the War Soul to become compatible with the Nimble Blade (possibly by losing the 8th level blade skill instead of the 10th).

PsyBomb
2016-07-06, 08:14 PM
It is worth noting that the skill-roll maneuvers are still supposed to be usable during Rage.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-06, 08:44 PM
Oh, I should say, thank you very much for the rundowns! I dismissed the Primal Disciple and Rubato at first. I took a closer look at the Primal Disciple when I considered playing a savage technologist wielding a sword and revolver. Only thing for that build is figuring out what he can pick up; he would probably want to pick up Tempest Gale, probably swapping out Piercing Thunder. Rubato I kind of skipped, but it's looking very appealing now.

shawshank
2016-07-07, 09:35 AM
I am actually playing a Rubato in a "Bard's Only" game where we are all part of a band that is slowly discovering rock music in medieval times ala "A Knight's Tale". The lack of early game healing is an obvious drawback. However, being charisma based with UMD as a class skill it is very easy to acquire a wand of CLW to fix downtime healing. Also, at 7th level you can acquire an elemental flux stance that grants 4 elemental benefits as choices. One of them grants fast healing 1 at all times. It is self-only but still incredibly powerful for downtime healing all the same. Especially considering ANYONE can acquire this by 7th level if they invest the feats to gain a discipline at 3rd 5th and 7th levels. I have spent close to 100 hours working out every build I can think of and how best to exploit optimize characters.

I will continue working on this today and update the original post. Eventually I will make it pretty but, for now, it will be a wall of text.

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-07, 09:55 AM
I really enjoyed reading this. I hope you'll continue to do more of the detailed writeups like you did for the Primal Disciple and Rubato! :smallbiggrin:

I don't have time right now to write up a proper response to your post at this time. When my schedule is freed up some, I will be sure to return and provide some insight to the thread on much of what you've commented on here.

Kitsuneymg
2016-07-07, 06:48 PM
Here's some things to consider for when you get around to your fighter type.

Mutagen Warrior can get flight at 7th level (and other abilities) in exchange for weapon training
Martial Master grants martial flexibility in exchange for armor training. Martial Training is a combat feat.
Lore Warden grants 2 more skill points, a scaling bonus to CMB, and a mini-knowledge devotion thing.*

Sadly, Myrmidon does not stack with Eldritch Guardian or Free-Style Fighter. Although POW is excellent for Eldritch Guardian a the Martial Training feat line gets shared with your familiar (Choose a fox. Depending on DM, that's a 16 or 20 Strength on your medium fox by 3rd level).

You are Str or Dex and Wisdom dependent. Consider the following for wis-heavy builds

Creed of Humility - Wis to Diplomacy. Stack this with Versatile Training to get Diplomacy at your BAB with your init stat and become a party face.
Monkey Style/Monkey moves - If you can stomach IUS as a prereq, this grants Wis to Climb and Acrobatics. Two skills for POW disciplines.
Versatile Jinxer - For halfling characters (deadly agility is a must here!) swap more cha stuff over to wis
If 3.5 is in play, Ancestral Knowledge lets a dwarf lore warden WRECK that concept in RP and be dual ability dependent. Couple with knowledge devotion to basically be your own bard.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your stuff.

Also, does your recommendation to ban Agile apply to our game :P?

shawshank
2016-07-11, 09:46 AM
Here's some things to consider for when you get around to your fighter type.

Mutagen Warrior can get flight at 7th level (and other abilities) in exchange for weapon training
Martial Master grants martial flexibility in exchange for armor training. Martial Training is a combat feat.
Lore Warden grants 2 more skill points, a scaling bonus to CMB, and a mini-knowledge devotion thing.*

Sadly, Myrmidon does not stack with Eldritch Guardian or Free-Style Fighter. Although POW is excellent for Eldritch Guardian a the Martial Training feat line gets shared with your familiar (Choose a fox. Depending on DM, that's a 16 or 20 Strength on your medium fox by 3rd level).

You are Str or Dex and Wisdom dependent. Consider the following for wis-heavy builds

Creed of Humility - Wis to Diplomacy. Stack this with Versatile Training to get Diplomacy at your BAB with your init stat and become a party face.
Monkey Style/Monkey moves - If you can stomach IUS as a prereq, this grants Wis to Climb and Acrobatics. Two skills for POW disciplines.
Versatile Jinxer - For halfling characters (deadly agility is a must here!) swap more cha stuff over to wis
If 3.5 is in play, Ancestral Knowledge lets a dwarf lore warden WRECK that concept in RP and be dual ability dependent. Couple with knowledge devotion to basically be your own bard.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your stuff.

Also, does your recommendation to ban Agile apply to our game :P?

Haha! With no Tier 1's or Vancian magic at all it is probably fine. Many suggestions depend on the game the DM/GM is running. If I was going to GM a brand new Path of War game and I was not entirely familiar with the material then you should ban Agile/Deadly Agility until you have a strong comfort level with the new system. Then you can put those things back in once you know how to handle them. I suppose that would be the better response!

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-11, 01:37 PM
I'm doing this train of thought, so you'll have to bear with things being out of order.

Deadly Agility

So. First thing's first. You're provably wrong about Deadly Agility being a ban worthy feat. The math on DEX to damage has been around for years now, since before Pathfinder even existed, and it has been shown repeatedly to not be in any way broken.

Dex to damage starts 2+ feats down (depending on your exact source) compared to STR damage, and does not gain STR's 1.5x damage bonus. As you can see HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1glbLdxsURIDSNmpGqGw13KK4Pl_CmTDcxbXH5Wm8dIc/edit#gid=0), Strength's 1.5x damage bonus and 50% increase in Power Attack bonus means that 2-handing with a STR based weapon is not only the most damage efficient means of increasing your DPR it's also the most feat efficient. This damage is only outpaced if you are TWFing and hit with the majority of your attacks. But wait! Thanks to Prodigious TWF and Double Slice, STR builds can get in on the fun too, with essentially the same damage numbers as Deadly Agility TWFing, so again, there's parity.

This is more significant for initiators, who are less incentivized to use full attacks because of their maneuvers, most of which are single hit attacks, so the bonuses from TWF's off-hand attacks are less likely to come into play. Using Deadly Agility in combination with strikes not only costs you additional limited resources (in the form of feats), but results in a net loss in damage.

Feat Selection

You mentioned Skill Focus being one of the best feats you can take as an initiator. Well, that's wrong as well. Yes, shoring up your skill bonus is a worthwhile pursuit as an initator, but spending a feat on it is almost never necessary. From the simple masterwork item that gives a +2 competence bonus, to the various stat boosting items, to items like the cloak of elvenkind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cloak-of-elvenkind), getting skill bonuses is fairly easy.

Instead, you're much better off spending your early level feats on Power Attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot, or other feats that are necessary for your build to function. Even once you've got those feats out of the way, you have options like the Path of War: Expanded style feats, the discipline synergy feats, Victorious Recovery, Advanced Study, Discipline Focus, and many, many more options. Skill Focus is almost never necessary, and there is almost always a better option. It really only becomes competitive after you have 10+ ranks in a skill.

Your basic skill check for a discipline skill is equal to (1d20 + Level + modifier + 3)

Poison's Big "Weakness"

A minor correction, but the primary issue with poison use is not the low DCs, but rather the plethora of monsters that are immune to poisons, combined with the action cost to apply them. The save DCs being low is really only one of a slew of problems with poison use, and sticking to poisoner's stance in order to utilize them is going to hamstring your play significantly. It's situationally useful, but definitely not a game changer.

Tier System

For the record, I do not in any way enjoy tier system debates, so consider this the entirety of my opinion on the subject matter. From the Brilliant Gameologists thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/?topic=5293) defining the tiers:

Tier 3: Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area. Occasionally has a mechanical ability that can solve an encounter, but this is relatively rare and easy to deal with. Can be game breaking only with specific intent to do so. Challenging such a character takes some thought from the DM, but isn't too difficult. Will outshine any Tier 5s in the party much of the time.

Examples: Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Crusader, Bard, Swordsage, Binder (without access to the summon monster vestige), Wildshape Varient Ranger, Duskblade, Factotum, Warblade, Psychic Warrior

Your Tier 3# is unnecessary as the existing definition of Tier 3 already covers classes that are good at multiple scenarios. Moreover, it includes classes with specific encounter ending tricks, the primary definition you use for claiming the Nightmare Dread is Tier 2.

This

An optimized Path of War character will be the undisputed king of the battlefield for the first 9 or so levels. They will outshine well-made tier 1's from the outset of the game until around 10th. At that point the Tier 1's will pull even and then eventually pull ahead from 15+. I am saying this so you are not shocked when the party druid feels useless at early levels. That is just the reality of the situation. There is nothing you can do about it if you allow POW classes. Now, in social situations, the sorcerer can certainly do well but there are several path of war classes that can do that just as well, if not better, and still dominate a battlefield too. The same goes for being a skill-monkey, scout, linguist, crafter, performer, knowledge master, etc etc etc. This is why the POW classes have a lot of tier 3#. They can be as strong as ANYONE in damage and also as good as ANYONE in at least one, if not more, things.

I'm not sure how to put this quote into a spiffy heading, so I'll just quote the text directly. Long story short, it's not true. They are as good as other damage focused classes, but an equally optimized 1st party class will be able to keep damage pace with an initiator for the simple fact that even initiators still need full attacks to hit their damage caps. An initiator will be able to deliver more consistent numbers thanks to strikes, but a Spirited Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/spirited-charge-combat---final) with a lance, a full attack with a bow, a pouncing charge or any of a number of other options is going to equal or exceed the DPR of most strike maneuvers.

Initiator classes are built to meet the challenges presented in the bestiary. Playing "stronger or weaker than X class" is a sucker's game. When the scale ranges from Fighter to Wizard, comparative analysis is almost pointless. DPR is only one aspect of the game, hyperfocusing on that to the exclusion of other aspects is myopic and leads to bad design decisions. Initiators are the definition of Tier 3, they are excellent at dealing damage and capable of successfully acting outside that niche, but their ability to affect the overall plot of the game is still vastly limited compared to spellcasting. Remember, it's not fireball that makes the wizard Tier 1, it's Teleport.

I think that about covers everything.

Anlashok
2016-07-11, 02:19 PM
Have to agree with Elric here on Deadly Agility, Skill Focus and Balance. PoW characters play very nice with full casters and Paizo's huge plethora of 6th level casters without really causing any disruption from my experience outside a few outliers. If you run into hiccups in game it's more likely an issue of optimization, since PoW characters are hard to screw up too badly, than anything else.

I feel like balance issues are much less grandiose than the OP makes them out to be with PoW once you have any familiarity with the system. Personally the only things that really have stood out for me are the Stalker's hideously bad recovery mechanic on a chassis that doesn't really deserve a penalty that big and a general feeling that DSP might have been overly conservative when designing initiating archetypes for non-initiators. But that's really it if you don't want to get into the minutiae of individual maneuver and feat balance.

But again, can't agree at all with the assessments on feats or initiators wrecking the game for ten levels.

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-12, 04:42 PM
Do you own Path of War: Expanded? I assume you do. Before we continue, you should take a close look at the list of authors for the book, then take a look at my username and see if you can spot a connection before you make any implication that I do not know what I'm talking about.

If you take the time to read what I wrote, you'll realize that the reason I used the feats I did was to isolate the damage provided by STR and DEX. I stuck to stat exclusive feats for a reason, that reason being that everything you listed is not exclusive to one ability score or the other, they are neutral damage bonuses. The damage per hit provided by your chosen ability score is what matters not the total damage, and certainly not the total damage at level 20. Because that is where you determine comparative value, by looking at what each stat gives you individually. Learn to isolate your variables and you'll see the relative value of each ability score become apparent in short order.

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-12, 05:29 PM
How can that possibly hold water when you are comparing two different styles. Even if you did go two-weapon fighting based on strength you would STILL be worse off than the Dex-based version because you give up initiative, reflex, armor class and several skill bonuses for what? climb? I will say the intimidate feat is excellent for secondary benefit. However, dexterity simply provides far more in more situations. A dexterity based thrashing dragon/broken blade build with 1 or 2 disciplines dedicated to negating effects or substituting skills for saves will always be stronger than a strength-based build doing the same.. at least in path of war. I would need to do the math but the archer build might even come out ahead with elemental flux around though that might be going too far.

You give up some touch AC but have comparable regular AC and better Flat-Footed AC due to your heavy armor, which is more important to initiators anyway (Did you know you can't use a counter while you're flat footed?). Additionally, AC is a sucker's game when things like miss chances, immediate action counters, invisibility, HiPS and ambushes are easily achievable like they are in Pathfinder.

You lose out on initiative, which matters little as you're only trying to be faster than the monster, and even then it isn't always necessary because if the monster has to spend time to close the gap to melee, they likely can't get off a full attack.

You lose a moderate bonus on some discipline skills, except that if you actually take the time to read the disciplines you'll see that they only become relevant for a minority of maneuvers. Seriously, go read the disciplines, count up the number of maneuvers that require a skill roll, figure out what the percentage is for each discipline and get back to me. And even if that is a problem for you, guess what? Agile Dancer fixes it. Because perform is a CHA skill, and you can use CHA or DEX for dance thanks to Agile Dancer, you no longer take ACP penalties for using Acrobatics and can run it off of CHA just as easily as you run it off of DEX. You say you're WIS based? I have good news! There's a trait for that: Wisdom in the Flesh (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/wisdom-in-the-flesh-god-of-perfection).

As for "Fighting style"? My whole point is that it doesn't matter. The feat deficit on DEX to attack and damage is 2 feats (Weapon finesse and Deadly Agility). With the feats Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting (from Path of War: Expanded) and Double Slice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/double-slice-combat---final) you can pull off the exact same build as your Dex to damage scenario using Strength, for the exact same feat cost. It doesn't matter the fighting style. Outside of archery (and even that can be mostly replicated with the right setup of thrown weapons), Strength and Dexterity builds can use nearly identical fighting styles with nearly identical outcomes.

Have you checked that author's section by the way? While you're doing that, I recommend you peruse the guides I've written (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?380631-All-the-Path-of-War-Guides-in-One-Place!), and check out the seven playtest threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444869-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-(Thread-VII)) we've had, spanning more than two years worth of playtesting. They're a good read, you'll learn some things, I promise.