PDA

View Full Version : Pirates! [IC]

JNAProductions
2016-07-06, 11:55 AM
You are all currently sitting in the Gobballers' Den, a bustling bar in the center of Bonta. You have come together to see about sailing the seas together, and it's time to finalize your plans.

Azktor
2016-07-06, 12:27 PM
Grogmir

Grogmir gives a big gulp finishing his 5th mug, saying "Ah...nothin' better than some fine ale'! Don't ye think lads?" Grogmir quickly ask for his 6th mug and some meat, bread and cheese to go along "We can't talk bussines with an empty stoomach!"

After the food is served he grabs a big piece and start eating while saying "We are all here for same reason to find a ship a crew and to set sail!" Grogmir quickly remember of the red headed elf pirate that killed his last crew members and punches the table saying slightly drunk by this point "We can do it!"

Dudeons
2016-07-06, 02:46 PM
Ezlo lifts his own mug of ale up to the parrot on the tip of his horn. Zephyr pecks a few tiny sips out of the ale. Not seeing his bird looking sick, Ezlo proceeds to quaff the drink. While he would appreciate the opportunity to let loose and slam down a dozen more, he takes his drink a little more slowly since it's business.

"I know the seas as well as the fish do, but it has been a long time since I have had a ship of my own," Ezlo says, setting his mug down, "I reckon there is somewhere around here we can find a ship. Any ideas?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-06, 03:24 PM
The port has many ships, of all sizes. most, however, are owned. There is also a shipyard, for the construction of new vessels, but that is rather pricey.

RossN
2016-07-06, 08:01 PM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric had arrived late having participated (and won!) an improptu arm-wrestling contest with a heavily tattooed braggart from the fresh barque in town. Even so he was steadily catching up with Grogmir in ales and raised his latest in approval of the toast.

'Well said my friend!' he booms. 'It has been too long since I've braved a storm or caved in a corsair's skull with my axe!' The barbarian's bombast subsides a little as Ezlo speaks and he nods slowly, expression suprisingly shrewd.

'Have any merchants lost money lately? Lost too many ships in a storm or had their warehouse burn down or rolled the dice too much. If we keep our ears to the ground we might hear word of someone with a run of bad luck who'll need to sell quick - and cheap.'

Tavarokk
2016-07-07, 03:15 AM
"How cheap could it get, though?" Rinn wondered. "Even half price would be too much, unless you guys are a lot richer than I."

She had been sitting at the bar, trading gossip and gathering rumours about the ships in port when Grogmir, a familiar regular, ran into her. Upon hearing that she was considering joining one of the crews currently in port, the dwarf dragged her off to this table, explaining that they were considering getting a ship, and wouldn't she like to join?

Admittedly, the idea of freely choosing where to go was appealing, but that hinged on actually getting the vessel in question first.

"Well, I suppose there's an option to steal or hijack one, but I'd rather not attack anyone in good standing with the city," she mused. "So it looks like we'll have to look for a source of quick money or a ship the crew of which nobody here would miss."

Azktor
2016-07-08, 02:23 PM
"I know the seas as well as the fish do, but it has been a long time since I have had a ship of my own," Ezlo says, setting his mug down, "I reckon there is somewhere around here we can find a ship. Any ideas?"

"How cheap could it get, though?" Rinn wondered. "Even half price would be too much, unless you guys are a lot richer than I."

'Have any merchants lost money lately? Lost too many ships in a storm or had their warehouse burn down or rolled the dice too much. If we keep our ears to the ground we might hear word of someone with a run of bad luck who'll need to sell quick - and cheap.'

Grogmir
Grogmir looks for his new companions happy to see that they are also excited with the idea and says "Aye! that is the spirit! We could've get a small ship for four of five hundreds gold pieces...thing is I have less money than elfs have beard! And it looks like ye all got nothin' as well!" Grogmir thinks for a second and conclude "My ideia is simple we go to the docks tomorrow and ask around either for jobs or for a patron to help us start out!"

"Well, I suppose there's an option to steal or hijack one, but I'd rather not attack anyone in good standing with the city," she mused. "So it looks like we'll have to look for a source of quick money or a ship the crew of which nobody here would miss."
On the past Grogmir would quickly refuse this option, but right now the mix of the alcohol plus the will for revenge altered his judge a bit and he says "I'm not completely against this ideia, let's just not steall from the local hard workin' people, but let's call this plan B, right lass?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-08, 02:26 PM
The waitress brings over a few more mugs of ale for the group as the band in the corner starts up a raucous tune. The waitress says "Here you go, handsome devils," with a wink, and heads back, putting a nice little sway into her hips as she does.

Shall we move on to the port and job-hunting, then?

Tavarokk
2016-07-08, 02:53 PM
"I wouldn't limit it to just docks, although it's certainly a place to check as well. I've been meaning to ask around for a promising crew to join, nothing stops me from investigating potential job offers that would come with enough of payment - or investment - to buy a vessel as well," Rinn noted, contemplating the waitress. The girl had the right idea, especially with tomorrow possibly being all work and no play.

JNAProductions
2016-07-08, 05:13 PM
There are various menial labor jobs-mucking out stables, hauling cargo, other things like that. None pay particularly well.

Then, there are three jobs that might serve you well:

1-The Gobball team needs some replacements. 50 Gold per person.

2-There's a minor rat infestation in the basements of an inn. Deal with it for 80 Gold.

3-A ship heading into pirate-infested waters needs guards. Pays 2 Gold per day, will last for about a month.

Azktor
2016-07-11, 11:56 AM
Grogmir
Grogmir waits for all the others to gather around and then says "For the Enutroff beard! Looks like there is no much gold to be made in Bonta these days..at least there is these three jobs, I think we should start doing those out, we need the gold. It has been a couple of years since I play an entire match of Gobball, but the money is good and probably fast. After that we could go kill some rats. What do ye all say?"

Dudeons
2016-07-12, 08:43 PM
Ezlo shares a conspiratorial glance with his parrot as he contemplates the offer.

"I second this plan," Ezlo says, "It appears to be the most efficient option before us."

RossN
2016-07-13, 09:33 AM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric nods his assent. 'I don't know this 'Gobball' but I'm in.' The barbarian grins. 'Let's get another round of ale to toast our victory!'

JNAProductions
2016-07-13, 03:20 PM
I have work, but I'll move this on once I get back from it. Rats first, or Gobball? It's late at night, so you can start on rats, but Gobball won't start till next morning.

Tavarokk
2016-07-14, 09:21 AM
"It's only been a day, I have no doubt there are more opportunities to find," Rinn commented. "That said, I wouldn't know a thing about this gobball, so, I suppose, I'll have to spectate unless they'll be willing to pay for just staying about and looking pretty. On the other hand, I'm curious how the rats dangerous enough to varrant that kind of pay and actual fighters' intervention have come to be in the middle of the city. "

Azktor
2016-07-14, 11:54 AM
Grogmir

Grogmir says to Ezlo and Olric "Aye! To the tavern! We did good today and tomorrow we have a full day."

He then repplies to Rinn "Oh lass, don't understimate the rats of Bonta, they are as big as dogs and nasty like a tavern without ale! We could even start workin' on them' rats tonight, but I'm thirst and hungry right now!"

I have no ideia how big or strong are the rats, but Grogmir believe they are :smallbiggrin:

Dudeons
2016-07-16, 09:37 PM
"Very well," Ezlo says, "We shall save our strength for the gobball game. Afterwards, I am sure we can handle a few rats."

JNAProductions
2016-07-16, 09:39 PM
The next day...

You arrive bright and early at the Gobbal arena, in the center of Bonta. You see a rather harried looking man waiting there, and, upon seeing you, says "Ah! You must be the new team that we looked out for. Now, here's the deal-you get paid no matter what, IF YOU PUT ON A GOOD SHOW. Win or lose, I couldn't care less, but if the crowd gets bored... Well, that's a death knell for your pay. Understood?"

RossN
2016-07-17, 10:12 AM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric grinned rather menacingly. His concept of the actual game was hazy but that he understood. He was used to arm wrestling and the occassional head butting contests in the rowdiest taverns in town and you didn't want to get those spectators bored.

"How drunk are the crowd?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-17, 10:36 AM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric grinned rather menacingly. His concept of the actual game was hazy but that he understood. He was used to arm wrestling and the occassional head butting contests in the rowdiest taverns in town and you didn't want to get those spectators bored.

"How drunk are the crowd?"

"Most of them haven't started drinking too much yet-the game doesn't start for another hour. A few, though... You know how it is. You all know the rules, right?"

Azktor
2016-07-17, 06:04 PM
Grogmir
Grogmir says to the man "I used to play only on my youth, and that is a looong time for dwarfs! Do you care to refresh my memory my good man?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-17, 07:28 PM
Grogmir
Grogmir says to the man "I used to play only on my youth, and that is a looong time for dwarfs! Do you care to refresh my memory my good man?"

"Sure-five people on a team. Two with shields, two with gloves, one with boots. No magic-just muscle and skill. Shields let you take hits and project force, once per turn. Gloves let you throw it hard, once per turn. And the boots give you a speed boost, once per turn again. Get the ball in the goal while it's still in your hand. Simple enough-like riding a horse, neh?" he says.

By once per turn, he means once per GOBBALL turn. Not game turn.

Azktor
2016-07-20, 11:25 AM
"Sure-five people on a team. Two with shields, two with gloves, one with boots. No magic-just muscle and skill. Shields let you take hits and project force, once per turn. Gloves let you throw it hard, once per turn. And the boots give you a speed boost, once per turn again. Get the ball in the goal while it's still in your hand. Simple enough-like riding a horse, neh?" he says.

By once per turn, he means once per GOBBALL turn. Not game turn.

Grogmir

"Aye! thanks lad!" Gromir go ahead and grab one of the shield saying "I'm not fast enough to be one of the attackers, but I can sure hold the lines just fine!"

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 11:42 AM
Grogmir

"Aye! thanks lad!" Gromir go ahead and grab one of the shield saying "I'm not fast enough to be one of the attackers, but I can sure hold the lines just fine!"

"Right-you're on the field in five minutes. You'll be facing the Dragon's Clutch-they're not the best, but they ain't bad either. Good luck, and good show!"

Azktor
2016-07-20, 01:41 PM
Grogmir

"Aye!" Grogmir start putting his gear and helping the others with their own gear, he then says "I've heard of some professionals matchs befores and there may be some surprises durin' it, so keep yerselfs at ready!"

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 01:43 PM
"Sorry for being late," a young elvish man says, coming up to you four. "I'm ready for Gobball!"

One of you will be controlling him. He's got a proficiency bonus of +2 and the following stats:

AC 12
HP 18

Str 14
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 14

Azktor
2016-07-20, 01:46 PM
Grogmir

"Hello there! My name is Grogmir, this is Ezlo, Rinn and Olric!" says Grogmir pointing at his companions one by one "Whats yers name?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 01:55 PM
Grogmir

"Hello there! My name is Grogmir, this is Ezlo, Rinn and Olric!" says Grogmir pointing at his companions one by one "Whats yers name?"

"Ellatree. A pleasure to meet you all."

Dudeons
2016-07-20, 02:02 PM
Ezlo steps over to the elf, looking down on him with a stern expression.

"How good are you at Gobball, Ellatree?" he asks.

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 02:04 PM
Ezlo steps over to the elf, looking down on him with a stern expression.

"How good are you at Gobball, Ellatree?" he asks.

"I'm, ah, not that bad. I play a lot with my friends," he says, "but I've never done it professionally before."

Dudeons
2016-07-20, 04:07 PM
"A chain is as strong as the weakest link," Ezlo says, "Don't break on us."

Zephyr hops from one horn to the other, looking down at Ellatree with equal seriousness in his face.

Intimidation: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 04:25 PM
"A chain is as strong as the weakest link," Ezlo says, "Don't break on us."

Zephyr hops from one horn to the other, looking down at Ellatree with equal seriousness in his face.

Intimidation: [roll0]

Ellatree shifts nervously back and forth, uncomfortable at the gaze of Ezlo.

Azktor
2016-07-20, 05:13 PM
Grogmir

Grogmir nods approving Ezlo fighting spirit, but also gives a reassuring smile to Ellatree as saying 'you are going to do fine'.

He then start praying out loud, to all his companions to hear with passion and strength "Iop, with yer strength and might, with yer untirin' effort, with yer steadfast courage and willingness to defend and protect my intentions against all of their enemies within and without, with yer skillful wieldin' of the sword and ability to cut out what does not serve me, I call upon ye now."

JNAProductions
2016-07-20, 05:16 PM
Grogmir

Grogmir nods approving Ezlo fighting spirit, but also gives a reassuring smile to Ellatree as saying 'you are going to do fine'.

He then start praying out loud, to all his companions to hear with passion and strength "Iop, with yer strength and might, with yer untirin' effort, with yer steadfast courage and willingness to defend and protect my intentions against all of their enemies within and without, with yer skillful wieldin' of the sword and ability to cut out what does not serve me, I call upon ye now."

Iop does not answer. But Grogmir, at least, feels a sense of strength surging through him.

RossN
2016-07-22, 08:04 PM
OLRIC REDAXE

"Welcome Elf," Olric says cheerfully, offering the man a bone shuddering slap on the back. He looked at the others and grinned. "I'll go wherever you think I'll be best."

Azktor
2016-07-25, 09:15 AM
OLRIC REDAXE

"Welcome Elf," Olric says cheerfully, offering the man a bone shuddering slap on the back. He looked at the others and grinned. "I'll go wherever you think I'll be best."

Grogmir

Grogmir passes the boots to Olric saying "Here, I think ye will do a fine job with those!" He then looks around and notice something they were only 4 he end saying out loud so that man that gave them the equipment could hear "Were is our fifth?"

JNAProductions
2016-07-25, 10:20 AM
As you look around, the ref comes down. "Alright, get on the field, you've got-wait, you're one man short! You won't be allowed to play like that," he says. "Unless you can find someone real quick, you're going to be disqualified..."

Many gobball fans would die for the chance to play in a game.

Azktor
2016-07-27, 06:49 AM
Grogmir

Grogmir approaches Rinn real quickly saying "Since ye are passin' this up could ye help us find a replacement while we finish gearin' ourselfs? After all this is for our ship!" there is no resentment on Grogmir voice on the fact that Rinn is not playing, he understand that it is not a sport suited for - most - womans.

Grogmir will smile to Rinn happy she is doing her share at least and will say before she leave "Find someone that looks like a pile of muscle and that can follow some orders if ye can lass!"

Grogmir will grunf a few words in dwarven cursing the lazy elf and will say to the team "I will be right back, make sure to be ready!" he will then run toward the bleachers look for someone that is there cheering for their team, preferable a strong man/woman and will approch saying "Today is yer lucky day lad/lass! Yer sit was sorted and as prize ye can join the team on the field!"

Tavarokk
2016-07-27, 01:47 PM
Rinn eyed the roiling crowd of fans dubiously. "It may be hard to make an informed judgement, under the circumstances. I'll see what can be done."

Jumping on the tribune divider, Rinn whistled loundly, grabbing the fans' attention and gestured them to pipe down for a moment before addressing the tribune.

"Gobbal's most fervent fans, rejoice!!! Today only, a special event! The biggest, the toughest, the most badass fan gets to make an instant debute on the pro stage! The new team is looking for a fifth player, and I'm accepting applications here and now! Time to test your dedication to gobbal and show everyone how it's done!"

As the first prospective players started to gather, Rinn called them out one by one to stand forth and boast their skill and achievment, doing her best to discern the degree of embellishment based on the speaker's demeanor and the reactions of other candidates.

She would choose two or three suitable-looking guys and let the team pick whoever they like most in the end.

[roll0] Persuasion
[roll1] Insight

JNAProductions
2016-07-27, 01:49 PM
People fall over themselves to get to Rinn, and before long, a very large crowd is assembled in front of her. People (mostly) stick to one at a time, and she's able to narrow it down to five strapping young men of various races who look competent enough.

Azktor
2016-08-01, 02:07 PM
Grogmir

Grogmir will smile back to Rinn thinking "Maybe her good looks will be usefull during our adventures together, not that I'm in to elfs, they are just too skinny..."

He then points to the bigest and stronger and more confident of them all saying "Ye there lad! Ye are on the team! Grab this shield and get ready to charge in!" he then thanks the other for their time, saying that next time they will have another chance.

After the others 4 leave he will ask the man name and quickly explain how to use the shield and help him to get ready. Also giving the second par of gloves to Ellatree.

JNAProductions
2016-08-01, 03:34 PM
This guy has the following stats:

AC 10
HP 24

Str 18
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 10

"Yeah!" the human fan roars, coming forward and clapping Grogmir on the back. "Golmin reporting for GOBBALL!"

RossN
2016-08-04, 08:04 PM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric looks Golmin up and down. "You've played before or just watched?"

No need to let him know Olric had never even watched a game.

JNAProductions
2016-08-05, 09:36 PM
OLRIC REDAXE

Olric looks Golmin up and down. "You've played before or just watched?"

No need to let him know Olric had never even watched a game.

"I've played plenty with my friends, but never professionally. But I am ready to KICK! SOME! ASS!" he shouts.

The ref comes down, and sees the whole team assembled. "Get your butts on the field-we start in two minutes."

The group, with its new compatriots, file onto the field. The ball is placed in the middle, and the announcer begins to talk. "Welcome, people of Bonta, to the most splendiferazing game of Gobball you'll ever see! (Until the next game, that is.) We would like to one and all welcome our brand-new team, who made the daring decision to take a fan from the audience as a fifth member! Now, on the count of three, let's get ready to play GOBBALL! One! TWO! THREE!: the announcer finishes, and the game begins!

You are all 30' from the ball. So is the opposing team. Roll initiative!

[roll0]

Adding 1, 1, 2, 2, and 3.