PDA

View Full Version : Yokai Watch: Yay or Nay?

BiblioRook
2016-07-06, 04:03 PM
Yokai Watch seems everywhere and is often insisted as 'the next Pokemon', but I have to wonder just how popular it actually is.

So just a short while ago I finally got around to getting myself a 3DS (okay, 2DS because I'm cheap) and was pleased to noticed it came with a copy of Yokai Watch because I honestly was curious about it and it didn't look uninteresting.
...Three days later I found myself finished with the game including any extra side-content I had any interest in pursuing and honestly found myself overwhelmingly unimpressed. I suppose the Pokemon comparison is unavoidable, but if anything it's Pokemon with kiddie-wheels (which is honestly saying a lot considering Pokemon!). I mean you are collecting monsters to fight with I guess but you don't even actively interact with the battles aside from healing and support, the actual fighting is all automated!

Anyways, the experience just really wanted me to see what others thought about it.

Lord Raziere
2016-07-06, 04:21 PM
tch, finished in three days and you can't even direct them? that won't replace pokemon by far. I haven't heard of it until now, but if its Pokemon with kiddie wheels then I'm not interested. A harder Pokemon with more grown up themes and better story, now THAT will interest me and tempt me away from the current stuff, but not this Yokai Watch, that just sounds boring, and this coming from somebody who actually gone through the tedium to catch all currently existing pokemon.

ThePhantom
2016-07-06, 04:57 PM
Well, some of the battles are bit more complex, but a larger issue is trying to get all of them. You see, some can only be gotten through a random generator that can only be used three times a day if you have the resource to use it which is not easy to get. Others only show up in one spot rarely and even when you do met them its possible to not get them. Too many things that take days to try to do.

Fri
2016-07-06, 06:27 PM
tch, finished in three days and you can't even direct them? that won't replace pokemon by far. I haven't heard of it until now, but if its Pokemon with kiddie wheels then I'm not interested. A harder Pokemon with more grown up themes and better story, now THAT will interest me and tempt me away from the current stuff, but not this Yokai Watch, that just sounds boring, and this coming from somebody who actually gone through the tedium to catch all currently existing pokemon.

It's really big in japan. Like, it got endless episode anime in the same line with pokemon, and the Yokai Watch theatrical movie airs in the same time with Star Wars TFA, and it actually beat its box office.

I never played it, but if it's simplified for kids, that's the point of it? Like, originally pokemon were quite simple, young kids played it in droves. Now pokemon is a lot more complex than it originally was, and a lot of adults and older kids played it, which is great, but younger kids need their own franchise as well.

Lord Raziere
2016-07-06, 08:38 PM
I never played it, but if it's simplified for kids, that's the point of it? Like, originally pokemon were quite simple, young kids played it in droves. Now pokemon is a lot more complex than it originally was, and a lot of adults and older kids played it, which is great, but younger kids need their own franchise as well.

Then pokemon better step up its adult game then. because its still trying to be kiddie.

Ogremindes
2016-07-06, 10:36 PM
A harder Pokemon with more grown up themes and better story, now THAT will interest me and tempt me away from the current stuff...

Shin Megami Tensei?

Dragonexx
2016-07-06, 11:55 PM
Then pokemon better step up its adult game then. because its still trying to be kiddie.

Fangames are your friend! (https://p-insurgence.com/)

Lord Raziere
2016-07-07, 01:06 AM
Fangames are your friend! (https://p-insurgence.com/)

*reads*
cool. and I'm assuming the "new region and story" thing means that its a full game? with an ending to the main story and everything?

I'll also check out this "Shin Megami Tensei" as well...

Tono
2016-07-07, 07:05 AM
Yea, SMT was my idea for 'adult pokemon' as well. Not quite the same and more story heavy, but thats how it is. The Persona spin off is very story driven while the main line games are more dungeon crawly. And the other spin offs vary.

Never played Yokai Watch though.