PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Punch

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 05:15 PM
I'm playing in an AL game BUT it isn't as bad as it seems.

My friend owes another friend (whom I don't actually know) a favor. That favor ended up being DMing while he is out of town for his AL group.

My friend has apparently met the group before and has asked me to jump in so she doesn't kill the group (she is a lethal DM...). She doesn't do it on purpose, she just, yeah she is a deadly DM>

So I'm going in with a character who can be a bit tough and dish out some damage. If she starts going overboard I'm going to be subtle and have her pull back a bit. I still technically have a level 4 AL character that has enough XP to level but I never level him so I'm still legit to play in this group haha... Not that it matters all that much.

So I figured I would see how this character concept would do.

Paladin of Punch
"Ooooh Yeah"

Vuman Criminal Paladin of Vengeance

Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

AC: 18 (Defense Style, Dual Wielder)
HP: 44

Feats: Tavern Brawler (d4 unarmed damage, grapple bonus when hit with improvised), Dual Wielder (ruling over rules, works with unarmed strike, my fists are weapons)
Skills: Athletics, Stealth (dis while in armor), Deception, Performance, and Persuasion.

Subclass: Vengeance

Background: Used to be a drunk and a druggie that would jump through windows and walls screaming "Oooooooh Yeah". Has since went to rehab and found a place among the Paladins of Vengeance. His primary goal is to kill the drug dealers that got him and many others hooked on their product.

Reach out and touch somebody (Tactics): Punch (Attack Action), Punch (Extra Attack), Punch (Bonus Action) for a total of 3d4 + 6 damage which isn't much but.... Smite as I see fit. Vow of Enmity is my friend.

====

If I'm going to play in AL then I'm going to have fun with it... Especially if I have to keep friend from doing something she will regret lol.

====

Belac93
2016-07-06, 10:58 PM
I'm playing in an AL game BUT it isn't as bad as it seems.

My friend owes another friend (whom I don't actually know) a favor. That favor ended up being DMing while he is out of town for his AL group.

My friend has apparently met the group before and has asked me to jump in so she doesn't kill the group (she is a lethal DM...). She doesn't do it on purpose, she just, yeah she is a deadly DM>

So I'm going in with a character who can be a bit tough and dish out some damage. If she starts going overboard I'm going to be subtle and have her pull back a bit. I still technically have a level 4 AL character that has enough XP to level but I never level him so I'm still legit to play in this group haha... Not that it matters all that much.

So I figured I would see how this character concept would do.

Paladin of Punch
"Ooooh Yeah"

Vuman Criminal Paladin of Vengeance

Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

AC: 18 (Defense Style, Dual Wielder)
HP: 44

Feats: Tavern Brawler (d4 unarmed damage, grapple bonus when hit with improvised), Dual Wielder (ruling over rules, works with unarmed strike, my fists are weapons)
Skills: Athletics, Stealth (dis while in armor), Deception, Performance, and Persuasion.

Subclass: Vengeance

Background: Used to be a drunk and a druggie that would jump through windows and walls screaming "Oooooooh Yeah". Has since went to rehab and found a place among the Paladins of Vengeance. His primary goal is to kill the drug dealers that got him and many others hooked on their product.

Reach out and touch somebody (Tactics): Punch (Attack Action), Punch (Extra Attack), Punch (Bonus Action) for a total of 3d4 + 6 damage which isn't much but.... Smite as I see fit. Vow of Enmity is my friend.

====

If I'm going to play in AL then I'm going to have fun with it... Especially if I have to keep friend from doing something she will regret lol.

====

Dual wield frying pans with tavern brawler.

Foxhound438
2016-07-07, 03:14 AM
might as well use hunter's mark to your advantage if you're being allowed to use fists in dual wielding. get up to a respectable 3d4+3d6+6 attack sequence.

Lombra
2016-07-07, 03:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that you have to dual wield weapons in order to "dual wield", and that smites don't apply unless you hit with a weapon attack. But if you dual wield improvised weapons it works.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-07-07, 04:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that you have to dual wield weapons in order to "dual wield", and that smites don't apply unless you hit with a weapon attack. But if you dual wield improvised weapons it works.

Yeah but, like, you know, why not.

If it's doesn't seem like it would really hurt anything, especially since he is only rocking d4s. I have always been rule of cool, and as long as the player isn't out to exploit something or powergame it works without a hitch.

Lombra
2016-07-07, 04:09 AM

If it's doesn't seem like it would really hurt anything, especially since he is only rocking d4s. I have always been rule of cool, and as long as the player isn't out to exploit something or powergame it works without a hitch.

Well you give free AC and free hands to who should use both his hands to hold something in order to be efficient: it doesn't feel like a lot but it can create some situations where it feels wrong.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-07-07, 04:36 AM
Well you give free AC and free hands to who should use both his hands to hold something in order to be efficient: it doesn't feel like a lot but it can create some situations where it feels wrong.

I would rule the AC bonus is only active when both hands are in use as "fightin' hands", and using his hands to do other things (interact with objects, wield or stow weapons/items, cast spells, or whatever) you normally couldn't do without a free hand would negate them as 'weapons'.

But honestly, I can't let go of the idea that his hands would have to be specially designated as legal weapons in game.:smallbiggrin:

Lombra
2016-07-07, 05:16 AM
I would rule the AC bonus is only active when both hands are in use as "fightin' hands", and using his hands to do other things (interact with objects, wield or stow weapons/items, cast spells, or whatever) you normally couldn't do without a free hand would negate them as 'weapons'.

But honestly, I can't let go of the idea that his hands would have to be specially designated as legal weapons in game.:smallbiggrin:

That would have made monks way better in this game. Obviously the DM can allow anything anyways.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-07-07, 05:27 AM
That would have made monks way better in this game. Obviously the DM can allow anything anyways.

I understand it kinda busts a few rule barriers, but it also sounds like ther is no intention to cheese this to gain the small benefits it would give. Also if fists are treated as 'weapons', what advantage are monks getting other than a +1 to AC. Am I missing something?

Giant2005
2016-07-07, 06:09 AM
You should consider taking some Monk levels. Flurry of Blows works while armored, so you could sneak in some double punches on your bonus action occasionally.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2016-07-07, 06:20 AM
You should consider taking some Monk levels. Flurry of Blows works while armored, so you could sneak in some double punches on your bonus action occasionally.

If he took monk levels he would mitigate taking the Tavern Brawler feat, though it may be more optimal, I don't that is the point of this.

Giant2005
2016-07-07, 06:51 AM
If he took monk levels he would mitigate taking the Tavern Brawler feat, though it may be more optimal, I don't that is the point of this.

He would still need Tavern Brawler if he was going to be wearing armor, because the Monk's Martial Arts feature (the part that increases the damage) requires being unarmored.

Aett_Thorn
2016-07-07, 07:04 AM
He also doesn't have the Dex or Wis to multi-class monk. So there's that.

Oramac
2016-07-07, 07:37 AM
Dual Wielder (ruling over rules, works with unarmed strike, my fists are weapons)

By RAW I don't think this works.

That said, RAW can be stupid sometimes, and you've got a fun concept going. So if the rest of the table and DM is ok with it, I say go for it!

Otherwise everything looks pretty good. Definitely take advantage of Hunter's Mark, Bane, and Hold Person when you can. The auto-crits from Hold Person with a Smite will really help your damage.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 07:39 AM
might as well use hunter's mark to your advantage if you're being allowed to use fists in dual wielding. get up to a respectable 3d4+3d6+6 attack sequence.
Hunter's Mark might be my favorite spell to cast but no may just drop some smite.

Already explained in the post, rulings over rules.

The fact that I took TWF really shows my commitment to power gaming. Lol

I can already punch with bonus action, TWF is allowing me to do that. Rulings over rules.

He also doesn't have the Dex or Wis to multi-class monk. So there's that.

Bingo.

Edit

By RAW I don't think this works.

That said, RAW can be stupid sometimes, and you've got a fun concept going. So if the rest of the table and DM is ok with it, I say go for it!

Otherwise everything looks pretty good. Definitely take advantage of Hunter's Mark, Bane, and Hold Person when you can. The auto-crits from Hold Person with a Smite will really help your damage.

I meam, technically the devs have said that unarmed strike count as weapon attacks. If they can't make up their mind on unarmed strikes then I'll just go with my friend's Ruling > Rules.

Plaguescarred
2016-07-07, 07:50 AM
If I'm going to play in AL then I'm going to have fun with it... Especially if I have to keep friend from doing something she will regret lol.I don't think it's a legal character for Adventurer's League since two-weapon fighting cannot be used with unarmed strike not being weapons with the light property.

If DM let it fly good for you though. Cool backstory BTW!

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 07:54 AM
I don't think it's a legal character for Adventurer's League since two-weapon fighting cannot be used with unarmed strike not being weapons with the light property.

If DM let it fly good for you though. Cool backstory BTW!

Thanks! I really wanted to use the Kool Aid dude but needed a book as why he was a Vengeance Paladin...

Between taking TWF, Tavern Brawler, Rulings > Rules, and the fact that the devs can't make up their mind on how to classify unarmed strikes.... I should be good lol.

Personally I loathe AL, I'm joining to help a friend out. My personal theory is she said yes because she likes this other DM and is now freaking out she is going to kill all his players or they will tell him how bad of a DM she was... I swear it is some sitcom level stuff that goes on around me haha.

Giant2005
2016-07-07, 09:08 AM
I can already punch with bonus action, TWF is allowing me to do that. Rulings over rules.

Yeah, but Flurry of Blows will give you two punches with your bonus action instead of just one.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 09:30 AM
Yeah, but Flurry of Blows will give you two punches with your bonus action instead of just one.

Sure, but I can't even enter Monk and wouldn't have the Dex or Cha to have any other features be effective.

My smite/Hunter's Mark will make up for not doing one extra attack when I use ki.

Monk is just not going to happen, doesn't fit the character concept at all.

tieren
2016-07-07, 09:51 AM
Monk is just not going to happen, doesn't fit the character concept at all.

I don't know, I could see him as a sort of elemental monk. You could say he has an "inner reservoir" of cherry flavored ki available to fuel his attacks.

Fits closer than an avatar of vengeance.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 10:33 AM
I don't know, I could see him as a sort of elemental monk. You could say he has an "inner reservoir" of cherry flavored ki available to fuel his attacks.

Fits closer than an avatar of vengeance.

Except he was a drug head/drunk who is out for vengeance against the people who made him (and others) a drunk/drug head? I mean... the vengeance thing is exactly what his character is about.

Cherry Flavored Ki is great, though his divine spell casting energy could also be cherry flavored. Ki is magic after all.

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-07, 10:37 AM
Is UA available for this character? If so, consider a Minotaur with defense fighting style. Paladin of headbutt, not punch though...but he can carry a shield!

Stats by level 8, assuming 27 point buy method:
18/8/15/8/10*/15 (* you can put the 10 anywhere). Has grappler feat. Heavy armor + shield for AC. Free hand to grapple opponents, horns to smite with.

LordFluffy
2016-07-07, 10:47 AM
I think this is pretty cool, m'self.

Ralanr
2016-07-07, 11:02 AM
I can't think of anything more satisfying than decking evil in the face with the shining power of your resolve/beliefs.

That's 100% anime right there.