PDA

View Full Version : Rider Build

carrdrivesyou
2016-07-06, 06:33 PM
So for some reason, I decided to get froggy and make a mounted combat build. I have read that Pounce (or other such way to full attack on a charge) is the way to go. I had another idea I wanted to bounce off the playground before I continued with it.

Here is the build:

Halfling Fighter 8/Cavalier 2
18, 14, 16, 14, 12, 10

Uses a +2 Valorous Lance

Feats:
1st: Mounted Combat
1F: Weapon Focus - Lance
2F: Ride-by Attack
3rd: Spirited Charge
4F: Weapon Specialization - Lance
6th: Shield Specialization
6F: Power Attack
8F: Melee Weapon Mastery
9th: Leap Attack

My question here is this:
Do Power Attack, Leap Attack, Spirited Charge, and the Valorous Weapon Enhancement all stack?

Because if they DO, my damage per hit is to the effect of 1d6+160 on a charging leap attack/ power attack for 5.

Here is my math
(PA = Power attack, STR = Strength, F = Feat, W = wep. enhancement):
Base Charge Damage: 1d6+40 (4STR + 4F + 2W)*4
Power Attack: 1d6+20 (10PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)
Charging Power Attack: 1d6+80 (10PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)*4
Power attack/Leap Attack: 1d6+160 = (30PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)*4
Critical hit/Power attack/Leap attack: 1d6+160 = (30PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)*4

Thoughts?

Darrin
2016-07-06, 08:49 PM
So for some reason, I decided to get froggy and make a mounted combat build. I have read that Pounce (or other such way to full attack on a charge) is the way to go.

Pounce doesn't generally work with mounted combat because the rider is not the creature charging. If the mount has pounce, that's a little different, but then the focus of your build is on the mount rather than the rider.

There are a few PrCs that offer a full attack after the mount has moved, but there are invariably restrictions on it. For example, the Cavalier gets "Full Mounted Attack (Ex)" at 6th level, but it doesn't work if the mount moves more than its normal move speed, and it can't be combined with a charge. Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer) gets something similar after only 3 levels, but only it only works when the mount makes a single move.

For some inexplicably reason, the designers did not want a mounted attacker combining a full attack with a mounted charge. My best guess is it offended their sense of "realism", which is an odd position to take in a game where giant miniature space hamsters are considered canon.

My question here is this:
Do Power Attack, Leap Attack, Spirited Charge, and the Valorous Weapon Enhancement all stack?

Yes, they do stack, but you have to follow the wonky D&D multiplication rules (including the mind-numbingly idiotic errata for Leap Attack). The much bigger problem here is not all of those things work while mounted. Power Attack and Spirited Charge work just fine while mounted, but Leap Attack requires you to be the creature charging, and also wants a 20' leap in there somewhere. Valorous also only works while you are charging on foot.

Thoughts?

A warlock with an eldritch glaive can make a full attack while mounted (it's a full-round SLA rather than a full-round attack). Racking up damage multipliers on it is a bit of a head-scratcher, though.

carrdrivesyou
2016-07-07, 02:17 PM
That makes more sense, considering the multipliers.

So all in all, I would be able to use power attack along with Spirited charge, but not leap attack or the valorous weapon (while mounted).

It would more realistically resemble:
Charge Base: +22 hit 1d6+30 (4STR + 4F + 2W)*3
Power Attack: +15/+10 1d6+20 (10PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)
Charge/Power Attack: +17 hit 1d6+60 (10PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)*3
Critical Hit/Power Attack/Charge: 3d6+240 = (((10PA + 4STR + 4F + 2W)*3 Charge)*4 Crit.)
+1 Longsword +16/+11 to hit 1d6+5 19-20*2 Crit.

Have I got that about right now?