PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Plague of Frogs (Let Slip the Frogs of War)(Spell)

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 09:30 PM
Plague of Frogs
Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock
3rd-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Components: S, M (at least part of a frog or some frog slime)
Duration: Instantaneous

You create storm clouds that appear in the air inside a 20-foot radius cylinder within range. The storm clouds let loose thunder and then frogs rain from the sky. Each creature in the spell's area takes 1d12 points of bludgeoning damage as they are pelted with frogs. The frogs die on contact with a creature or a surface. A reflex save halves this damage.

Each creature in the area that takes damage from a frog must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes poisoned for 1 minute. While poisoned, the effected creature has their speed cut in half.

The area is difficult terrain until the frogs are cleaned up. The frog's poison have expired and can't be harvested.

Special: When you cast this using a spell slot of 5th level or higher spell slot the radius of the cylinder increases by 10' for each slot level above 4th.

====

I made a version of this for a Favored Soul that I'm creating but I started thinking... The 5e Cleric really needs a Frog Plague spell. Based off the Hypnotic Pattern spell for the most part.

I'm thinking about adding some Bludgeoning Damage to this spell, just a little to symbolize the frogs smacking someone up side the head.

Edit

Updated the spell a bit

Gastronomie
2016-07-07, 12:04 AM
I love this spell. Both thematic and kewl.

Since many monsters are immune to the poisoned condition, adding bludgeoning damage wouldn't make it overpowered.

Perhaps 2d6 bludgeoning to all creatures within range at the start of each of their turns?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 12:17 AM
I love this spell. Both thematic and kewl.

Since many monsters are immune to the poisoned condition, adding bludgeoning damage wouldn't make it overpowered.

Perhaps 2d6 bludgeoning to all creatures within range at the start of each of their turns?

Thank you :)

That's about what I was thinking, but I figured this spell would mostly be used on (non-dwarf) humanoids settlements to really ruin their day.

I think 2d6 would be fine. It is a 30' cylinder (I'll have it increase in size as you use higher level slots) so it isn't all that hard to get out of.

Clean up for this spell is going to suck though.

Gastronomie
2016-07-07, 02:03 AM
The funny thing is that Commoners (from the MM), having 4 HP, will most likely die by being hit by raining frogs.

Final Hyena
2016-07-07, 03:37 AM
Humidity is rising
Barometer's getting low
According to all sources
The street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining frogs.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 07:17 AM
The funny thing is that Commoners (from the MM), having 4 HP, will most likely die by being hit by raining frogs.

Oh definately, though that should be expected.

Humidity is rising
Barometer's getting low
According to all sources
The street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining frogs.

I can't give you an actual response or I would keep the song going and it would be even more stuck in my head.