PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Favored Soul (5e + Houserules)

R.Shackleford
2016-07-06, 11:57 PM
The Favored Soul (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HySg37iU)

So here is class 4 of 3! I originally was going to stick with three classes but I had an idea for a "cleric" that I wanted to do. I actually have one, maybe two, more Martial classes after this (so a total of 6 base classes... Hopefully no more will start with the letter "S").

Beast Master (The beast is the focus)
Gunner (Primarily Ranged Type)

The Favored Soul is essentially a special conduit for a deity. They come in two distinct flavors right now, the mage-ish type and the paladin type.

Anyways... Still using Kryx's homebrew rules: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/rJND7KpV as they are a more elegant form of what my group has used in the past. I've put my own version in the signature below and will add to them as needed. Eventually all of this will be put into a packet for my groups.

I'm looking on feedback on wording, paragons, how dynamic this class is, and pretty much what all works of homebrew need (other eyes telling me stuff I don't see).

Note: This may not be balanced with the Sellsword, Shaman, or Sorcerer! Actually, I'm pretty sure it isn't. I'm putting the first draft of each class down and then I'll go back and balance them with each other.

Perhaps my favorite part of this class is Heimdal's Visage of Dred... Being born of 9 different mothers simultaneously... I'm sure he knows some weird stuff that will mess with your head.

Edit

Huge issue: Sacrifice Health can get stupid real fast... I'll need to add a stipulation.

You can only take on one ongoing effect from another creature at a time. This effect must be removed before you can use this feature again.

Wryte
2016-07-07, 01:10 AM
Just FYI, Wizards already put out a Favored Soul as a Sorcerous Origin (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA3_ClassDesignVariants.pdf) in an Unearthed Arcana. Basically, you get to pick a cleric domain and add its domain spells to your list of sorcerer spells known, plus picking up some additional weapon and armor proficiencies, etc.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 07:15 AM
Just FYI, Wizards already put out a Favored Soul as a Sorcerous Origin (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA3_ClassDesignVariants.pdf) in an Unearthed Arcana. Basically, you get to pick a cleric domain and add its domain spells to your list of sorcerer spells known, plus picking up some additional weapon and armor proficiencies, etc.

Yup, and I'm not a huge fan of that class :).

This is a completely different entity than that class.

I much prefer the 3.5 Favored Soul as they were tied more closely to the Cleric than to arcane casters.

ravencroft0
2016-07-09, 07:16 AM
I notice you use "Paladin" as name for a paragon path. If that's just a temporary name, then cool. Otherwise, using names that are already in use can get confusing. Also, insert this at the top of every page in your Homebrewery:

<div style='text-align: justify;
text-justify: inter-word;'/div>

That will word wrap your text to give it even more of a professional look. Your classes have potential. Keep up the good work.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-09, 11:43 AM
I notice you use "Paladin" as name for a paragon path. If that's just a temporary name, then cool. Otherwise, using names that are already in use can get confusing. Also, insert this at the top of every page in your Homebrewery:

<div style='text-align: justify;
text-justify: inter-word;'/div>

That will word wrap your text to give it even more of a professional look. Your classes have potential. Keep up the good work.

First, thank you for both the compliment and the text help!

These will not be used with the current 5e classes so using iconic names shouldn't be a problem. If someone is using this with a core class then I have faith they can deal with a Paladin and Paladin Paragon Path. :)

Edit

Also your justify text suggestion didn't work but I may be doing something wrong.