PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorceror thoughts

Steampunkette
2016-07-07, 12:55 AM
Sorceror know less spells than most other casting classes, but through spell points may be able to cast slightly more, or cast their spells differently.

I kind of like that mechanic, but I also feel like it doesn't quite give them enough to stand up in their own as cannons on the battlefield, which is my preference fiction for them. I like the idea of sorcerors spending nearly every action on spells.

Cantrips, likewise, go a long way to supporting that fiction. But I feel like they need something a little... more.

So I'm looking at redesigning a sorceror class that casts in a manner similar to a Warlock, but a bit more comprehensively without so much fiction tied to paths.

Specifically, I'm looking at the possibility of following the Warlock's Arcana to represent increasing spell slots for the warlock, and giving them 4 or 5 short rest recovering spell slots of lower level than the maximum.

I'm posting about this, here, because I'd like to gather opinions on my leveling scheme.

Right now I'm looking at 1st level having 1 short rest spell slot. Once they hit level 3, they'll have 2 level 1 slots and a single slot per day, or Arcana, for Second level spells. At 4 they cet a short rest level 2 slot and their long rest arcana in addition to the rwo level 1 slots on a short rest.

At level 5 they get a level 3 arcana, lose the level 2 arcana slot, and have 2 level 1 slots and a level 2 short rest slot. This continues on until they get 3rd level slots. At that point they start losing their lowest level slots and gain slightly higher level slots.

Eventually they'll wind up with 2 2nd, 2 3rd, and 1 4th short rest slot, and move up from their with a cap at 5th level slots. Maybe 3 of the lowest level for a total of 6 per short rest? Then have the Arcana keep progressing up and be a bit bigger than the Warlock. 3 at 6th, 2 at 7 and 8, and 1 for 9th.

Full casters get 22 spell slots per day, most of which are low level. With 3 short rests these casters would get 20 to 24 from their short slots and another 6 of high end... I think it might be too much? But it's only 4 5th level spells per day with the bulk of their casting being 4th level or lower at level 20.

Any thoughts?

Steampunkette
2016-07-07, 12:59 AM
Or maybe give them, instead of 4 spell slots for most levels, give them 2 normal slots and 1 short rest slot of that level?

I feel like Warlocks still get the better overall casting from Pact magic since it's all 5th level slots, but I'm nervous, overall.

Amnoriath
2016-07-07, 09:14 AM
My take on this is that the Warlock isn't really enough of a caster for the Sorcerer to be mapped from. The quick and dirty fix to the Sorcerer is to give them the spell point system, add sorcery points to the total, and maybe alleviate a couple of the restrictions on high point casting when using lower level spells.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 11:40 AM
Personally I like the idea of having Metamagic be at-will and opening up the sorcerer's spell list.

Sorcerer spells aren't something that should be defined by a specific list. Especially if they know the least..

Less spells known, broader range of taking spells, and at-will metamagics.

Also more metamagics!