PDA

View Full Version : Thread to resolve question 673 from Q&A (Dex to damage calc)

Jowgen
2016-07-07, 07:20 AM
A Master Thrower uses his Double Toss ability to throw 2 daggers with one attack roll at a single flat-footed human within 30 ft. This Master Thrower posesses the Dead Eye feat (Drg Comp), the Hit and Run fighter ACF (DotU) and the Vital Aim ability of the Targeteer fighter (Drg 310).

How often does he add his Dex mod to the total damage dealt by the two daggers?

I posed the above question in the Q&A thread and got no response, so here's the subsequent thread.

The exact language of each of the above-mentioned abilities makes me question how often they apply.

My uncertain thoughts: As far as I can tell, Hit&Run should apply to both daggers, since it's a competence bonus; but I am unsure on the other two. If Dead Eye counts as precision damage, it only adds once. Vital Aim also has the precision damage question, but also the issue of whether the Str-bonus removing wording of Double Toss removes it completely.

So I am looking for answers/opinions on whether in this scenario you add the Dex:

a) 3 times (2 Hit&Run + 1 Dead Eye + 0 Vital Aim)
b) 4 times (2 Hit&Run + 1 Dead Eye + 1 Vital Aim)
c) 6 times (2 Hit&Run + 2 Dead Eye + 2 Vital Aim)

All RAW and RAI perspective's appreciated.

nedz
2016-07-07, 03:48 PM
Dead Eye looks like Precision damage - but it doesn't say that it is Precision damage - therefore, by RAW, you get it twice.

trikkydik
2016-07-07, 04:15 PM
i always guess "c" whenever i dont know the answer.... that being said....

"C!" Final answer.

Necroticplague
2016-07-07, 04:58 PM
1. Double Toss doesn't have 'two attack, one attack roll', so I'll assume you meant Palm Throw.
2. hit-and-run is a competence bonus to damage rolls. Thus, you get this bonus for each weapon (since damage for each weapon is resolved sperately)
3.Likewise for Deadeye, it's merely a bonus on damage rolls. Two separate damage rolls, two separate things to add DEX to.
4.Tergeteer is, again, a bonus on damage rolls. two separate damage rolls, two separate applications.
Final answer: 6xDEX.

Jowgen
2016-07-07, 05:14 PM
1. Double Toss doesn't have 'two attack, one attack roll', so I'll assume you meant Palm Throw.

Oh yeah, of course, my mistake. :smallredface:

Okay, so far opinions seem pretty one-sided.