PDA

View Full Version : How Many Frogs Per Round?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 07:50 AM
Plague of Frogs
Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock
3rd-level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 300 feet
Components: S, M (at least part of a frog or some frog slime)
Duration: Instantaneous

You create storm clouds that appear in the air inside a 20-foot radius cylinder within range. The storm clouds let loose thunder and then frogs rain from the sky. Each creature in the spell's area takes 1d12 points of bludgeoning damage as they are pelted with frogs. The frogs die on contact with a creature or a surface. A reflex save halves this damage.

Each creature in the area that takes damage from a frog must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes poisoned for 1 minute. While poisoned, the effected creature has their speed cut in half.

The area is difficult terrain until the frogs are cleaned up. The frog's poison have expired and can't be harvested.

Special: When you cast this using a spell slot of 5th level or higher spell slot the radius of the cylinder increases by 10' for each slot level above 4th.

====

So, how many frogs should I have fall forth each round?

I'm thinking 1 per 5' section but maybe more would be needed?

I just know someone from my group is going to ask about it lol.

tieren
2016-07-07, 09:56 AM
Seems a little OP, conjure animals is already a 3rd level spell which will let you summon poisonous frogs (if such things exist in your DM's world).

You seem to want to do some direct damage (ala moonbeam), and a status effect (ala slow).

I'd guess this would need to be at least a 5th level spell.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 10:30 AM
Seems a little OP, conjure animals is already a 3rd level spell which will let you summon poisonous frogs (if such things exist in your DM's world).

You seem to want to do some direct damage (ala moonbeam), and a status effect (ala slow).

I'd guess this would need to be at least a 5th level spell.

Oh I'm not caring about balance on this thread, I'm just wondering how many Frogs should be left over. :)

I've changed the original to stop the frogs from being poisonous after you stop concentrating on the spell. (I'll update this thread to reflect the spell)

So this spell is like Hail Storm except waaaay less damage but add in a nasty effect. I could see making it a 4th level spell though... Higher spell slots increase the size and not the damage so it is a bit iffy on either 3rd or 4th. I would lean toward 3rd only because the damage is meh but this is ongoing soo... Either or would really work.

The no poison after concentration does turn this into a "create food" spell of sorts... And I'm ok with that.

I'm looking more for how many frogs I should make a note about being left over. I might just say the area is covered in frogs and is difficult terrain. Hmmm...

tieren
2016-07-07, 10:46 AM
ok, well I assume the frogs are CR 1/4 or lower so a straight conjure animals spell at 3rd level would summon 8 of them for the duration of up to one hour, yours will be permanent which would lean towards less but if I understand correctly they will not be controlled which would lean towards more.

with your proposed 20 foot radius one per 5 foot square would be something like 44 permanent frogs? That seems like a lot, but you could probably justify as long as they presented difficult terrain to friendly units as well (and maybe just make the meat cause a diseased condition or something if consumed).

TheFlyingCleric
2016-07-07, 10:50 AM
If there's enough tiny frogs falling from the sky each round to bludgeon commoners to death in a few seconds, that's a lot of frogs. After I would thing you'd be neck-deep in frogs. Inconvenient if you don't have a swim speed.
Although I guess it depends on precisely how fast the frogs are falling. Does anyone know the terminal velocity of a frog by any chance?

Gastronomie
2016-07-07, 11:15 AM
Since the falling frogs are poisonous, yeah, commoners will die. It's still bludgeoning damage though.

I assume the frogs aren't under the caster's control? In which case it can be whatever feels best.

MrStabby
2016-07-07, 01:46 PM
Maybe stat up a frog swarm creature and have that go wild at the end?
Somewhat sad that the spell isn't available to a druid. Not even a swamp land druid. Summoning amphibians seems a bit druidic, as does messing with weather.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 01:48 PM
Maybe stat up a frog swarm creature and have that go wild at the end?
Somewhat sad that the spell isn't available to a druid. Not even a swamp land druid. Summoning amphibians seems a bit druidic, as does messing with weather.

I figured killing that many frogs would be very very anti-druid...

I really don't expect many of them to survive the fall or the sudden stop at the end.

I was picturing them falling down from clouds, need to make the splats more descriptive...

tieren
2016-07-07, 02:02 PM
Actually, I don't think I would make the poisonous stop with concentration, as long as they are not controlled and would have the same chance of poisoning the caster and party as the enemy.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 02:11 PM
Actually, I don't think I would make the poisonous stop with concentration, as long as they are not controlled and would have the same chance of poisoning the caster and party as the enemy.

Good point, however I was thinking that since I don't think there is a poisonous frog in the MM that the magic was giving the frogs the poison.

Basically, the spell takes frogs and fill them nasty stuff and then chucks them at people...

Damn, the more I talk about this spell the more brutal and awesome it is haha

MrStabby
2016-07-07, 02:12 PM
I just want to say, I would totally use this spell. I love the imagery of it.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-07, 02:19 PM
I think it's more about the frog-poison-harvesting potential than the collateral toxic wasteland effect.

As for swarms... I don't have my notes, but a creature swarm is two size categories larger than the creature type, and ballparking from hit points and space, are probably at least 10 individuals in that medium space, probably more (the smaller the creature in-category, the more there will be).
I was looking at making a "swarm template" as a way to manage large-number fights.

You could just have the frogs create difficult terrain within the zone, but disappear after spell ends.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 02:36 PM
I just want to say, I would totally use this spell. I love the imagery of it.

:smallbiggrin: awesome!

I think it's more about the frog-poison-harvesting potential than the collateral toxic wasteland effect.

As for swarms... I don't have my notes, but a creature swarm is two size categories larger than the creature type, and ballparking from hit points and space, are probably at least 10 individuals in that medium space, probably more (the smaller the creature in-category, the more there will be).
I was looking at making a "swarm template" as a way to manage large-number fights.

You could just have the frogs create difficult terrain within the zone, but disappear after spell ends.

Can you harvest poison from dead frog bodies?

If they can kill a commoner I'm guessing they will go splat when they hit the ground or hit a creature...

Joe the Rat
2016-07-07, 02:51 PM
Given that these are contact poison frogs, yeah, you should be able to recover some toxin from their skins (gloves are highly recommended). Turning it into a usable poison is where kit proficiencies come into play. But a 1d10, poisoned and half move poison is relatively mild. So it's a question of how much you can get out of 1250+ square feet of frog before it goes inert.

(As an aside: from the title, I was really hoping for a Wand of Frog thread)

MrStabby
2016-07-07, 05:35 PM

So you are replicating a grease spell with a slick of squashed frogs?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-07, 06:40 PM
So you are replicating a grease spell with a slick of squashed frogs?

omg yess...

I should refluff many spells as frog spells and then get my frog puns on lol

Kurt Kurageous
2016-07-07, 10:11 PM
omg yess...

I should refluff many spells as frog spells and then get my frog puns on lol

Just to get you started...

Cloud of Frogs

Magic Frog Tongue

Flippers of Hadar (Kermit)

Frog Barrier

Frog Ward

Locate Frogs

Mordenkainen's Fabulous Frog

Jump (wait, what?)

Tasha's Hideous Croaking

Frogcage

Summon Hypno-Toad

Dispel Frogs

Unseen Frog Servant

Frog Touch

MrStabby
2016-07-08, 06:15 AM
Just to get you started...

Cloud of Frogs

Magic Frog Tongue

Flippers of Hadar (Kermit)

Frog Barrier

Frog Ward

Locate Frogs

Mordenkainen's Fabulous Frog

Jump (wait, what?)

Tasha's Hideous Croaking

Frogcage

Summon Hypno-Toad

Dispel Frogs

Unseen Frog Servant

Frog Touch

Frog Image

Ray of Frog (I Imagine a frog tongue type attack!)

Call Frog

Croak (power word kill)

Spiritual Frog

Frogform

Joe the Rat
2016-07-08, 07:08 AM
Croak (power word kill)
Power Word: Croak
Scorching Frog
Frog of Madness
Frog Climb
Contact Other Pond
Chromatic Toad
Prismatic Toads
Healing Frog
Mass Healing Frogs
Mordenkainen's Faithful Frog
Mordenkainen's Frog... er, Glowing Stabby Frog Thing?
Leomund's Lily Pad
Expeditious Re-leap
Longhopper
Misty Hop
Toadskin
Fascinating Frog-song (it's ribbiting!)
Stinking Frog
And the ever-important Find Amphibian.

Vogonjeltz
2016-07-08, 04:13 PM
So, how many frogs should I have fall forth each round?

I'm thinking 1 per 5' section but maybe more would be needed?

I just know someone from my group is going to ask about it lol.

This would be so many frogs that it literally hinders the subjects ability to run away, and is as dangerous as being attacked by a two-handed grip on a battleaxe.

So...probably thousands of frogs, and a few hundred per square. By the time the spell ends (1 minute!) it would be like a morass of frogs that almost certainly counts as difficult terrain with a chance of falling from all the slippery frog guts.

Kurt Kurageous
2016-07-08, 06:39 PM
Power Word: Croak
Scorching Frog
Frog of Madness
Frog Climb
Contact Other Pond
Chromatic Toad
Prismatic Toads
Healing Frog
Mass Healing Frogs
Mordenkainen's Faithful Frog
Mordenkainen's Frog... er, Glowing Stabby Frog Thing?
Leomund's Lily Pad
Expeditious Re-leap
Longhopper
Misty Hop
Toadskin
Fascinating Frog-song (it's ribbiting!)
Stinking Frog
And the ever-important Find Amphibian.

Have your party find these written in a spellbook or a handful of scrolls. Beer out the nostrils.

FROG CLIMB includes a base chance to fall over on your back awkwardly.

I really like CONTACT OTHER POND. An extra-pond being answers your questions with either RIB or ET.

danpit2991
2016-07-08, 10:04 PM
If there's enough tiny frogs falling from the sky each round to bludgeon commoners to death in a few seconds, that's a lot of frogs. After I would thing you'd be neck-deep in frogs. Inconvenient if you don't have a swim speed.
Although I guess it depends on precisely how fast the frogs are falling. Does anyone know the terminal velocity of a frog by any chance?

3 times the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow