PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Full damage for secondary natural attacks.

Nibbens
2016-07-07, 10:01 AM
Is there a way in Pathfinder to get your full damage bonus on secondary natural attacks? Sort of like Double Slice for natural attacks when combining weapons with Natural Attacks?

I'm searching but coming up blank, so I turn to you guys.

Thanks in advance!

MilleniaAntares
2016-07-07, 10:23 AM
I don't believe there is one.

You will have better luck just getting a ridiculous number of attacks such that you will rip and tear foes even with "merely" using half your strength bonus.

Psyren
2016-07-07, 10:27 AM
I don't think there is. In lieu of a houserule on Double Slice, any reason you can't just stick to primary attacks (e.g. claws, bites, slams) only?

Nibbens
2016-07-07, 10:43 AM
I don't think there is. In lieu of a houserule on Double Slice, any reason you can't just stick to primary attacks (e.g. claws, bites, slams) only?

I didn't think so either. I'm currently DMing a campaign and have taken over building my wife's PC (because she makes me. lol.). She's Half Orc Barbarian getting insane damage with her iterative attacks on her Great Axe and following up with a secondary bite (Toothy feat) and a secondary gore (Fiendish Totem). While I've run the gamut on the axe, I was just seeking ways to squeeze a little more out her secondary shenanigans.

Thus my questioning.

She's level 12, 24 strength, currently using a +1 Vicious Shocking Great axe, Also utilizing Greater Elemental Rage for extra shock damage when raging. The shock and rage bonuses transfer over to her bite and gore attacks, which are nice. She just picked up the bleed damage bonus on her bites Rage Power (the name escapes me atm).

Psyren
2016-07-07, 01:35 PM
Ah - yeah, if you're using a manufactured weapon at all then all of your natural attacks will drop to secondary status regardless of form.

If her damage is already "insane" though I would suggest put your resources elsewhere, like optimizing a combat maneuver. I recommend Sunder - not only will this indirectly boost her damage (sunder someone's armor or shield with your high iterative, and now your lower iteratives and any attacks from her team will also more easily connect) but it also has defensive (sunder their weapon) and utility (sunder those bars, sunder that trap) applications. Getting good at it also prepares you for Spell Sunder later, which will get you even more utility into the late game as you sunder standing spell effects and even summons.

Nibbens
2016-07-07, 01:45 PM
Ah - yeah, if you're using a manufactured weapon at all then all of your natural attacks will drop to secondary status regardless of form.

If her damage is already "insane" though I would suggest put your resources elsewhere, like optimizing a combat maneuver. I recommend Sunder - not only will this indirectly boost her damage (sunder someone's armor or shield with your high iterative, and now your lower iteratives and any attacks from her team will also fail to connect) but it also has defensive (sunder their weapon) and utility (sunder those bars, sunder that trap) applications. Getting good at it also prepares you for Spell Sunder later, which will get you even more utility into the late game as you sunder standing spell effects and even summons.

Hmmm... Spell Sunder...

*After a few minutes of reading feat chains*

That... could be very useful. Thanks!

upho
2016-07-08, 07:40 PM
Is there a way in Pathfinder to get your full damage bonus on secondary natural attacks? Sort of like Double Slice for natural attacks when combining weapons with Natural Attacks?

I'm searching but coming up blank, so I turn to you guys.

Thanks in advance!Better than that, you can actually add 2 x Str to your first secondary attack in a round and 1.5 x Str to the following of the same type. This also increases the bonus of Power Attack to that of a 2-handed weapon (ie 3 x attack penalty). Could add up to quite a lot of extra damage for a barb with a high Str, especially if complemented by Multiattack for improved accuracy.

Surely makes Double Slice look weak, but it's kinda costly: Feral Combat Training (attack type) and Dragon Ferocity. The easiest way by far for a barb to get these is to dip 1 level of Master of Many Styles monk to get Dragon Style and Improved Unarmed Strike (needed for Feral Combat Training) as bonus feats, and buy/craft/find a cracked Opalescent White Pyramid and a wayfinder (2,000 gp) for Weapon Focus (attack type). Thankfully a monk dip also provides a pretty good boost to saves and the lost BAB will hardly be noticed by a barb, and Dragon Style makes charging a lot easier.