PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Pact Spells

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-07, 02:21 PM
When a Warlock gets to replace one of his spells known, can he choose to replace a Patron spell?

e.g. could a Fiend Warlock replace Burning Hands with a different spell?

DracoKnight
2016-07-07, 02:22 PM
Yes, that is within the rules.

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-07, 02:22 PM
Awsome, thanks.

Millstone85
2016-07-07, 02:34 PM
Why would you doubt it?

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-07, 02:35 PM
I just thought I'd check, in case the Patron spells were special or I'd missed a rule somewhere.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-07, 02:56 PM
Huh, i would have never thought to do that. I wonder if it's intended.

Regardless, I don't see a problem. Balance-wise, all spells of a given level should be equally useful.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-07, 03:01 PM
Given you have to add them to your known spells, I see no reason you couldn't remove them as needed.
If you are worried about it thematically, you can swap a spell for something else on the list (Burning Hands to Scorching Ray) or a similar theme (Command to Suggestion).

RSP
2016-07-07, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure if this is what was being referred to but Pact spells Refer to all Warlock spell levels 1-5. I think you might have meant Patron spells.

Patron spells are not automatically known. Unlike the Paladin and Cleric Oath and Domain spells, Warlock Patron spells only extend the Warlock spell list from what they can select from, but they still need to be selected as a spell known and can be swapped out at a new level just like any other of the Pact Magic spells.

RSP
2016-07-07, 03:05 PM
Sorry misread the post. Obviously the OP referred to the Patron's list. Long day...

Dr. Cliché
2016-07-07, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if this is what was being referred to but Pact spells Refer to all Warlock spell levels 1-5. I think you might have meant Patron spells.

Patron spells are not automatically known. Unlike the Paladin and Cleric Oath and Domain spells, Warlock Patron spells only extend the Warlock spell list from what they can select from, but they still need to be selected as a spell known and can be swapped out at a new level just like any other of the Pact Magic spells.

Damn, you're right.

That's depressing.