PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can double weapons be considered two-handed?

Qc Storm
2016-07-07, 02:44 PM
For the sake of enchanting, that is. Mostly asking because I'd like the Berserker enchantment on one end of a quarterstaff.

Hunter Noventa
2016-07-07, 02:50 PM
I do know that you have to pay separately to enchant both ends of a double weapon, but i don't recall there being any rules against only enchanting one half, though you do have to pay the masterwork cost twice I believe.

The vast majority of double weapons do fall under the 2-handed weapon category. I don't think there's anything stopping you from just using one end of the weapon and treating it as a two-handed weapon, and that should qualify for enchantments as well.

Necroticplague
2016-07-07, 05:07 PM
Yes. A quarterstaff is a two-handed weapon, flat out (note the table lists it under "simple two-handed melee weapon"). That it's also a double weapon in immaterial.

Techwarrior
2016-07-07, 07:16 PM
No. For purposes of magic weapon creation: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingMagicWeapons)

Creating magic double-headed weapons is treated as creating two weapons when determining cost, time, XP, and special abilities.

Double weapons are counted as two handed weapons, except in specific cases where they are counted as (usually) a one handed weapon and a light weapon. The aforementioned is one example, but certain other things have exceptions as well. The rules are pretty straight forward about calling out what those exceptions are, but a lot of GM's rule around them because of what feels right to them, usually to the detriment of the fighting style.

I could put together a list of these items if it becomes necessary, but it realistically probably won't matter. Your GM is going to make a decision based on their whim, how they read the rule, what the birds innards say, whether it's a Tuesday, how much they like you, how much they hate fighter types, and whether they think a pair of African swallows could carry a coconut tied between them. So realistically, all we can do is point to what your game could be like. There's no telling what actually goes on at your table. The rules are neat like that; it's how imagination works. You and I each take a random string of numbers, rules, letters, and dice rolls. We then use that information to make up a bunch of hodge podge crap that sounds awesome (hopefully). Then we tell stories about that one time I (my character) totally parcoured up a wall hella fast (Nat 20 climb) to get to that crazy witch and stop her from sacrificing the entire(ly made up) village (of Sir-not-appearing-in-this-game and friends).

Tl;dr: Ask your GM.

Necroticplague
2016-07-07, 07:35 PM
No. For purposes of magic weapon creation: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingMagicWeapons)

Double weapons are counted as two handed weapons, except in specific cases where they are counted as (usually) a one handed weapon and a light weapon. The aforementioned is one example, but certain other things have exceptions as well. The rules are pretty straight forward about calling out what those exceptions are, but a lot of GM's rule around them because of what feels right to them, usually to the detriment of the fighting style.

Those rules you linked only say that a quarterstaff counts as two weapons (i.e, each end is enchated seperately). It doesn't specify that the two weapons are a light and a one-handed weapon.

Hunter Noventa
2016-07-08, 02:21 PM
Those rules you linked only say that a quarterstaff counts as two weapons (i.e, each end is enchated seperately). It doesn't specify that the two weapons are a light and a one-handed weapon.

I'd have to agree here, pretty sure the only time a double weapon is referred to as a light weapon and a one-handed weapon is for which set of penalties to use when attacking with both ends as per Two-weapon Fighting. if you're only ever attacking with one end, why would you enchant the other? Other than being cheeky and giving the other end +5 and Defending for +5 AC.

It is ultimately up to your DM of course. I would personally rule that you could enchant one end of a double weapon with an enchantment meant for a two-handed weapon, but the bonus doesn't apply when you TWF.