PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Base Classes, Human, (Half) Elf, Dwarf only. Optimise?

Eddieddi
2016-07-07, 06:15 PM
So, A friend is running a game using some odd rules, Pathfinder, Everything not third party on the SRD is allowed. With some key exceptions.
Core classes only, and the only races allowed are Elf, Half Elf, Human and dwarf.
And within our group I'm known for carrying the party. I don't munchkin (I try VERY hard not to). But I'm often the player pulling the un-optimized totally MAD wizard/monk hybrid out of the fire because his 10 int and 11 wis got him nearly killed. I often use non-core classes or Races to allow for filling in 2 or so slots within the party. (Playing a Ninja to fill in the role of scout, and glass cannon AND the skill monkey, and the FOP).
But with this limitation I'm struggling to do anything that isn't a summoner-wizard using a elf.
Anyone got any suggestions or builds I could use?

Stats (Rolled):
Can be put anywhere.
Starting Level one, Intending to reach Level eight or so.
Everything that isn't Third Party on the SRD is useable.

Update:
Ended up Doing a Human Druid using the starting Feat to go spell focus Conjuration in to Augment summoning. The moment I hit level 3 Picking up Natural Spell. Went domain to grab the extra spell slots (We don't have a healer OR caster so I'm filling both rolls). Ended up going the Weather domain to pick up the battlefield control spells.
Any suggestions on further builds up to about level 8 or so?

Troacctid
2016-07-07, 06:22 PM
Basically any class ever. You have access to the most versatile race in the game and a fantastic stat array. You can do whatever you want. What do you want to do?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-07, 06:34 PM
Hm, is the magus core? I'd just go with a kick-ass magus, you have the strength to fight as a fighter and the intelligence to cast as a wizard.

D.M.Hentchel
2016-07-07, 06:36 PM
You could proabaly do great as Sorcerer (with one if the melee based bloodlines) or a druid (with wild shape) or a cleric (probably some melee build) which would cover pretty much every role, but in the end you shouldn't overshadow the other player.

I always suggest human, but for a sorcerer Half-elf might be better.

One way or the other I suggest being a full-caster, it will let you fill in anywhere your party lacks.

IZ42
2016-07-08, 05:28 PM
Hm, is the magus core? I'd just go with a kick-ass magus, you have the strength to fight as a fighter and the intelligence to cast as a wizard.

Nope. Magus is a base class. Core classes are Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, and Wizard. The answer is probably a no, but ask your DM if the Unchained variant is being used. Either way, a monk would be decent with that stat array. Basically any class you want would be respectable with that stat array.

Eldariel
2016-07-08, 05:31 PM
The best class for doing everything is of course the Druid. The best class is Wizard. Cleric and Sorcerer are also incredible (with Cleric also boasting very good level 1-2). If you'd like a bit of a challenge, Bard, Rogue and Ranger can do a lot of good stuff but with greater difficulty. The best race is of course Human, though Dwarf is very strong too.

EDIT: Right, PF. Then Elves are fine too.

Eddieddi
2016-07-08, 06:20 PM
Ended up Doing a Human Druid using the starting Feat to go spell focus Conjuration in to Augment summoning. The moment I hit level 3 Picking up Natural Spell. Went domain to grab the extra spell slots (We don't have a healer OR caster so I'm filling both rolls). Ended up going the Weather domain to pick up the battlefield control spells.
Any suggestions on further builds up to about level 8 or so?

As for Out-shining Other characters, I do my absolute best to Put myself in a situation where all the other players feel like it was their contribution that was the critical one while knowing if one of them decides it'd be a clever idea to go shove a stick up a Red dragons left nostril I can probably stop him getting toasted, if only for enough time for the party to get ready for a fight.