PDA

View Full Version : Blooddawn (5e) [IC]

SaintRidley
2016-07-07, 10:36 PM
You are all gathered at the Vilruck Tavern in the town of Estermon, about twenty miles south of the Erdish capital. Each of you has been chosen by Liddil Shieldmaiden for a task of great importance, though you do not know yet the precise nature of the task. Liddil will arrive here soon, and will give you the details as she understands them. All you know for certain is that it is likely to be dangerous work with high stakes.

Feel free to socialize and get to know one another a little. Liddil, feel free to enter the scene at your convenience. Once you've exposited the deal to everybody, we'll proceed.

Belac93
2016-07-07, 10:50 PM
Illufaus walks through the door. "My, its been a long time, hasn't it?" He muses to himself. "I remember when this town was founded. Such a happy place." Good thing I left the dead outside. he thinks, referring to his ghouls.

He sits down pleasantly at the bar, having thoughtfully not used any magic beforehand, and buried his sword, along with the dead, under a tree. He simply looks like a (slightly desiccated) elf.

"A bottle of fine wine please." he says, sliding a small bag of gold coin over the counter. "And some cups." He then proceeds to pour several glasses of the vintage, leaving them on his table, while he waits expectantly.

I believe a bottle of fine wine is 10 gp.

Panzo
2016-07-08, 01:52 AM
Kiara has been waiting for a while, ordering a few drinks of ale when the elven-looking gentlemen enters the tavern and orders an entire bottle of wine. "That's a fine bottle of wine you got there mister, mind sharing a glass? I've been called here by a Liddil Shieldmaiden, and I've been waiting for her to arrive for a while now. What brings you here?"

Rokku
2016-07-08, 02:31 AM
A young man wearing loose, simple garb perks up at the mention of Lidda Shieldmaiden. Intricate tattoos are visible on the exposed skin of his arms and chest.

"Miss Shieldmaiden summoned you here as well, eh?" he asks. He tosses wild blonde hair out of his eyes as he steps up to join the two at the bar.

"I'm Rokku," he says, his voice deep and smooth like fine whiskey, "it looks like we're all waiting on our hostess."

Belac93
2016-07-08, 08:26 AM
"Yes, I am waiting for the shieldmaiden as well." The ancient elf replies, smiling happily again. "Here, let me pour you a glass," he says, as he does just that.

"Illufaus Dying-star, at your service. You may or may not have heard of me. Hmm, Rokku..." Illufaus's eyes grow distant, and then back to the present, "Are you Rokku the sun-worshiper? If so, you are quite a distinguished man. I am honoured to be sharing a drink with you." He turns to the female dwarf, "And what is your name, my young lady?"

Panzo
2016-07-08, 08:43 AM
She takes a big sip from the glass then sets it down, wiping her mouth on her shoulder. "I'm Kiara of House Stoneheart, from the Ragged Peaks. And, no I haven't really heard much about people from other lands besides the mountains and surrounding areas. 'Been adventuring for the past two-three years or so with a couple of friends before I got the call. They went back home for the meantime and I... well, I'm here heh." She takes another sip of the wine.

Belac93
2016-07-08, 08:50 AM
She takes a big sip from the glass then sets it down, wiping her mouth on her shoulder. "I'm Kiara of House Stoneheart, from the Ragged Peaks. 'Been adventuring for the past two-three years or so with a couple of friends before I got the call. They went back home for the meantime and I... well, I'm here heh." She takes another sip of the wine.

"House Stoneheart? Are you familiar with Lana Stoneheart? The gem-cutter? She made me these stones." He pulls out three matched onyxes. "It helped me quite a lot."

Hopefully you guys are alright with me knowing your characters by reputation, or at least their families. Illufaus has been around a long time, and traveled a lot, so I feel like he would know people, or stories.

Lioslaith
2016-07-08, 08:52 AM
Stepping into the tavern and shaking off the night, it almost seemed to cling to the man, Sebastian entered the tavern. He paused at the door letting the usual whispers and guarded looks wash over him. Most knew of him or at least rumors of the Blood Hunter, the crazy half ghost that hunted monsters for a living. Though they knew him as Zane and not Sebastian. In his line of work it was never good to give your name out too freely.

Slowly he walked forward to the bar and waited for the bar keep to acknowledge his presence. "I am here to meet Liddil Shieldmaiden, do you know if she is here?"

Belac93
2016-07-08, 08:55 AM
Slowly he walked forward to the bar and waited for the bar keep to acknowledge his presence. "I am here to meet Liddil Shieldmaiden, do you know if she is here?"

"Not quite yet. But please, share a glass with us!" Illufaus says, gesturing at the table. "What have you done to attract Liddil's attention? Your appearance seems familiar, but I cannot place it..."

Lioslaith
2016-07-08, 09:04 AM
"Illufaus, I am surprised you do not recognize me." A rare smile cracks Senastians stoney facade. He moves to take the offered seat with the others. Extending his hand "Zane, Zane Shadowend.

Belac93
2016-07-08, 09:16 AM
"Illufaus, I am surprised you do not recognize me." A rare smile cracks Senastians stoney facade. He moves to take the offered seat with the others. Extending his hand "Zane, Zane Shadowend.

"Zane! Oh my, boy, it's been too long!" Illufaus says happily, glad to know who the man is, "We fought those zombies together, near the coast, didn't we? How long has it really been? A decade? Two? Or five years? Well, whatever it is, I'm glad to see you here." Illufaus is positively beaming. "I'm surprised as you that I didn't recognize that hair! What human has that, aside from you?! Hah! Another adventure for the both of us, eh? What have you been up to the past few years?"

Lioslaith
2016-07-08, 09:27 AM
When the warlocks time estimate hit Sebastian it was disconcerting "15 years it has been. 15. I've been keeping busy, killing monsters. . The way he says monsters you can tell he doesn't just mean the kind that fill children's stories. "So you know why littlebit has called us all here?

Panzo
2016-07-08, 09:34 AM
Kiara looks startled by the mention of the name and gets reminded of her parents and how much she misses them. Oh... she's my mother... Her work has always been praised by outsiders but, it's nice to see them in the hands of a stranger for once." She smiles at the thought of her mother and chuckles to herself a bit. "Actually there was this one incident with the stonemason's son when--" Her story was immediately halted when a ghastly looking hooded traveler walks in and mentions the Shieldmaiden.

"Uhh... Hi. Sorry but I'm not really familiar with you either but that's... a really nice sword you got there eheh..." She glances at Rokku and shrugs, scratching her head then turns her gaze back at him. "Kiara Stoneheart, Yara for short, or Kiki, either one really." She then takes his hand for a shake and takes the last sip from her glass.

"So we're all here for Miss Liddil huh? This is gonna be fun." She pours herself another glass and slides the bottle to the others.

Belac93
2016-07-08, 09:34 AM
When the warlocks time estimate hit Sebastian it was disconcerting "15 years it has been. 15. I've been keeping busy, killing monsters. . The way he says monsters you can tell he doesn't just mean the kind that fill children's stories. "So you know why littlebit has called us all here?

"Fifteen. Well, that's quite a long time for a human! Tis good that you have been busy, we cannot let ourselves fall int boredom!" He says. "I honestly have no idea why the Shieldmaiden called us. I'm interested to find out though. I heard from stories that she has the wings of an angel, and can heal a person back from the brink of death, or bring them to it in the first place, with naught but a word. I also heard some odd stories, mostly about her social skills, but I'm sure those are just legends."

Kiara looks startled by the mention of the name and gets reminded of her parents and how much she misses them. Oh... she's my mother... Her work has always been praised by outsiders but, it's nice to see them in the hands of a stranger for once."
"Well, Lana's daughter! Never thought I'd see the day. She did me a great service, and the cost was acceptable. She is an exceptional woman. I am interested to see the work her child can do." He gives a little wink, "I'm sure you surpass your mother in combat, at any rate."

Panzo
2016-07-08, 09:40 AM
"Oh so you two know each other... cool." Takes another sip, "I don't know about you Rokku, but these two look awfully similar... minus the ears. Pffft, ears."

"Well I'm good with a maul and she's handy with a chisel so, to each her own I guess." Another sip.

Irish Musician
2016-07-08, 10:33 AM
Liddil Shieldmaiden (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=863762), Halfling Devotee of Yondalla
From outside the tavern, an odd sight is seen by most of the patrons from the window. A small, little woman seems to touch down to the ground from the sky, great feathered wings behind her that glow just ever so slightly in the night. As she rights herself, and starts walking to the tavern, the feathers of the wings start to fall away from her, and by the time she enters the tavern there are now wings to be seen. In fact, once she enters the tavern, slightly crowded as it is, there isn't anything to be seen.

Liddil bobs and weaves through the crowd, but the tall folk tower over her so much, she is barely seen coming to the table full of adventurers. Suddenly at the head of the table, the chair pulls out, and a halfling woman is sitting there with you. Her eyes glow with the color and ferocity of the sun, and her hair, while almost black, seems to have a reddish hue to it. She looks around the table to each of you and starts in a small, slightly quiet voice, "Greetings all. As you no doubt have guessed I am Liddil Shieldmaiden, chosen of Yondalla. I have called you all here, unfortunately under grave circumstances. I have been traveling for months now, gathering information and names from the leaders of your tall world. I have bowed to countless Lords, Kings, and leaders in your world. I have traveled more miles in the past few months than I ever have in my entire life. The result of which are you all standing before me. Some of you I have heard of, some of your names I just recently became aware of though my travels. Either way, I have called you here in hopes that you can help me."

Liddil raises a gloved hand while she talks, the glove on which starts to glow, and the flags down a bar maid. She orders a small wine and receives it fairly quickly. She takes a sip and then continues. "My goddess granted me with a vision a few months back. It was hordes of demons and devils, coming together, attacking our lands and homes, with a darkness behind them washing over what they left behind. Swallowing the world whole. It is a sign, something evil in this world is coming and we need to be ready for it when it does. You all are some of the most powerful people in Erd, which is why you find yourselves here. You also represent most of the civilizaed races in Erd, so I ask you now.....will you help me find whatever incoming darkness this is, and defeat it?"

Lioslaith
2016-07-08, 10:49 AM
Sebastian watches the halfling enter the tavern and follows her progress through the crowd towards them. A slight sideways grin shows on his face as he realizes what she is doing. Greetings littlebit it has been a long time. The fact that I answered your call tells you I will help you.

Panzo
2016-07-08, 10:57 AM
After a couple of drinks and getting into deeper conversations with the men, Kiara has started to get comfortable with them. The sudden entry of the woman they've all been waiting for immediately gets her attention.

"Wow. You really are liddil." She smirks at first then breaks into a laugh. "Ha... phew... okay, sorry 'bout that." She brushes it off as she listens to Liddil's plea.

"Hmm... Demons... Devils... most powerful people in Erd...? I think I got the gist of it." She takes a sip as that finishes her 4th serving. "Well, first of all, I'm honored. Second, I didn't come all this way to just reject your gracious offer. And lastly, I'm in. Whatever you need, I got your back." She nods to the halfling in agreement and support, while filling another glass.

SaintRidley
2016-07-08, 02:14 PM
All movement and noise around you in the tavern stops, as if time itself were given pause. You hear the voice of a woman, barely raised above a whisper.

"Thank you, my child, for gathering these great warriors for this cause. I see a tide turning and an alliance of fiends, for something terrible has happened and all the gods are fearful. Lolth was killed, two moons ago. Even the Drow are not aware yet. Something or someone has done this, but that is not the worst.

The eternal war between the demons and devils has begun to weaken since Lolth's death. We fear the fiends have taken a god's death to be a sign that the moral plane is ripe and ready for the taking. I will open a portal and once you enter, you will be in the Lower Planes. Seek answers, and try to find a way to return the attention of the fiends to one another so your world might be spared. All of the other gods are on guard, and it may be wise to seek other gods for help and guidance - I have no power in the Lower Planes, but even the gods there will help you if you ask.

Though only one of you is of my creation, in this, you are all my children. I wish you all the luck of my children."

After Yondalla speaks, another voice whispers close in your ear.

"I've set the portal direct to Avernus. Seek Tiamat. She will guide you. You are blessed, child. A word of caution: stick to the shadows. May the luck of Dallah Thaun serve you."

The mirror behind the bar shimmers slightly.

Rokku
2016-07-08, 02:52 PM
Rokku nods and cracks his knuckles.

"Sounds like a problem for a group of our stature. To the Hells then, where we'll thrash fiends until this prophecy is averted!"

Belac93
2016-07-08, 09:42 PM
"This will be a fine quest!" Illufaus says. "Just let me get my things."

He goes out of the town, to an old tree. He speaks, "Rise. Light, Shadow, Dark." Three ghouls claw their way out of then ground, and he puts hooded cowls on them and leads the monsters back to the tavern. "I'm ready. The mirror looks like a portal to me, can we go through?" He begins pulsing a hand over his chest, and is quickly surrounded by a cloak and armour made of deathly fog.

"Apologies everyone," he calls out to the human patrons, "I'm an old adventurer, this is all harmless to you!" He smiles comfortingly at anyone who seems scared.

Casting False life until Illufaus ends up with 8 temporary hit points, casting death ward, and casting mage armour.

Also, casting detect magic to see if the mirror is magical.

SaintRidley
2016-07-09, 12:59 AM
The mirror shimmers and flashes a brief glimpse of another tavern, one where the walls are half a ruin and the mugs of ale look putrid, like a cruel mockery of your current location.

Lioslaith
2016-07-09, 06:50 AM
Sebastian stands up and moves toqards the portal, "To hell it is then."

Panzo
2016-07-09, 08:55 AM
"After you, your holiness."

Irish Musician
2016-07-09, 09:17 AM
Liddil Shieldmaiden (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=863762), Halfling Devotee of Yondalla
Liddil looks just slightly surprised for a moment, after the voice finishes speaking to them. She then gets up and walks over to the mirror behind the bar. She sees Illufaus walk back inside with three hooded figures, not looking especially lively as they walked. She turns her nose up at them and says a little prayer to herself, then addresses the group. "Alright, well, as Mr. Zane here says, time to go to Hell. My goddess has set up a guide for us, we shall meet her on the other side. Come." Liddil looks at the mirror and takes a deep breath, Well, no going back now. Dallah needs me.....she shall have me. She then jumps through the mirror, presumably disappearing from their current tavern and ending up in a slightly warmer and more evil, Hell tavern.

Belac93
2016-07-09, 09:27 AM
Once more into the lands of the dead. Illufuas muses to himself. "Come along." He calls, and him and the three ghouls step through the portal. As soon as he is in the other place, he shoves his hand in the ground, and pulls a rapier that appears to be made of bone from the ground.

Lioslaith
2016-07-09, 09:36 AM
Sebastian watches the others step through and takes his turn, following them to hell.

Panzo
2016-07-09, 09:42 AM
"Not where I was expecting to go today, but fvck it." Kiara jumps in the portal.

SaintRidley
2016-07-09, 01:11 PM
You arrive in the other tavern. As your senses adjust, you feel a pervasive heat, oppressively humid. The roof is blasted off and the walls are coated with stains that could be burn marks or blood, you can't tell for sure.

You hear a lilting voice from down the bar. A pretty devil with short horns and red hair looks you in the eye. If you look lower, you notice cloven hooves. "Welcome to the Pig and Poke. I am the owner and sole proprietor of this establishment - I like this rustic look, you know. Now what can I do for you fine folks? Wherever you're going, I wager it's a long way from here. There's not much for near a thousand miles in any direction but the banks of the Styx. I could get you where you're going, for a price, of course. How about you?"

She smiles at Liddil. Her red lips curve upward with a hint of menace. "I bet your soul is absolutely pristine. Many would be proud to have it as a trophy."

She turns toward Illufaus. "I see age, at least as mortals reckon it, in you. Your soul is probably seasoned well. I can offer a good price to take it off your hands."

Her eyes pass to Kiara. "Tough, but easily tenderized. Give me a month and I could quintuple your market value."

As she focuses on Rokku, there's a slight pause. "I'm sure we could dress yours up and make it more attractive. Although some of my best friends have a penchant for the functional."

Her eyes settle on Sebastian. "I like the look of yours. Might keep it myself if you got no other use for it."

Irish Musician
2016-07-09, 01:42 PM
Liddil had read about devils such as these, and while she was a bit nervous, she put on a brave face. Halflings may be small, but they are fierce. Suddenly, wings sprouted from her back, feathered wings that just slightly glowed with the divine. She flew over to the fiend, standing on a stool next to the thing, wings folding over to her side. Liddil's hand starts to pulse and arch with electrical energy, then starts talking in the very odd language of Infernal, <"You, nor any other fiend, are worthy enough for any of our souls. This is how it is going to be, devil. You are going to get me to Tiamat immediately. And to pay for this service, I will let you keep your miserable life. So if you enjoy owning your bar in hell, I suggest you get us to her now."> The group may be a little surprised at the aggression showed by the little halfling, who not 10 minutes ago seemed to have trouble talking in front of everyone about their mission.

Intimidation [roll0]

Belac93
2016-07-09, 03:41 PM
Illufaus bows to the devil. "Apologies madam, but my soul is not for sale anymore. Unless that is all you desire, I have nothing else to offer you. I would ask you to refrain from trying to take them by force please. We are quite well armed." He smiles, and clicks his fingers. The three ghouls throw back their hoods. "Say hello children."

The three ghouls wave, "Hellllloooggg" they groan in unison, waving weakly in the fiend's direction.

Panzo
2016-07-09, 06:54 PM
Kiara looks around, curious to her new warm surroundings. The devil barkeep comments on them all as the halfling tries to make a threat. "Uhh yeah, what she said. None of our souls are for sale and unless you take gold as payment, which I don't think you do, then I suggest that you back off and and tell us what we need to know lady."

I might as well give it a try too.
[roll0]

SaintRidley
2016-07-10, 01:14 AM
She steps back and puts a hand to her heart in an exaggerated show of being wounded by your words. "You mortals never cease to amaze me. Who said anything about buying your souls. Oh no, that would be rather gauche of me, wouldn't it? Just ask you for your souls before we've even had a drink together? The most I would ask of you fine people would be a short, fixed term lease where your soul is collateral.

I provide you a way to get to Tiamat, avoiding a thousand miles of trekking through the majesty of our humble abode and almost certain death from the meteors that rain down upon us every other day or being pressed into service for the Blood War (terrible business, that, I stand committed to a more diplomatic solution with our counterparts from the Abyss, but you didn't hear that from me), and one of you loans me their soul until you return having completed whatever business you're on. I showcase it to a few collectors, make them jealous, maybe get a discount on some I've had my eye on for the last few centuries thanks to the cache of having it. When you return, you get your soul back, no harm no foul.

If you're not interested in giving me one of yours even for that, though, perhaps one of your children's souls would do. Little things, children's souls, hardly worth a trifle and rarely missed. You seem like you would have some spare. I've got contracts drawn up for all kinds of arrangements, whatever's to your liking.

Now, if none of that will work for you, I suppose I could take gold. Worthwhile to be able to make change for my many patrons here. You would not believe how quickly you run low on liquid funds when people trade their souls for something as trite as money. Last fella in here, you wouldn't believe how cheap he sold his. Tell you what. One thousand gold a piece and I can have you teleport direct to Tiamat's front gate. Tell me what your business with her is, and I'll throw in the claw of an Abishai who worked directly under the old lady herself. Let you get right where you want guaranteed.

I'm sure that would be agreeable to you. You look ready for a fight, but all I am is a simple barkeep, trying to keep the last bit of this city from dying. Darkspine was a bustling metropolis once, but then it just went straight to hell. You should have seen it back then."

Panzo
2016-07-10, 10:57 PM
"You drive a hard bargain lady, I guess everyone in a different plane is a trickster. If I learned anything from my visit to the feywild, it's that you shouldn't trust anyone. Borrowing a soul, taking our children's souls or gold. I know I suggested that the gold part but damn that's costly... What should we do Liddil?" She turns to their halfling leader, wondering what to do.

Rokku
2016-07-11, 06:13 AM
"It's a surprisingly reasonable price for a shortcut, says Rokku, "but any kind of deal with fiends is bound to have hidden snags. I imagine we'd find ourselves neck-deep in guards appearing suddenly at Tiamat's gate."

Lioslaith
2016-07-11, 09:40 AM
"You will find no deal from me devil, and if my companions decide to enact their own deal you will find my sword backing them." Sebastian holds his sword and grips the blade in preparation.

[roll0]

SaintRidley
2016-07-11, 11:43 AM
She smiles at Sebastian and starts cleaning a glass. "Honey, you just aren't my type. Save the flirting for someone else. I could get you in with a lovely Brachina I know - she'd fall head over hooves for someone with your personality."

She fills the glass and finds a seat at a large table and motions for you to come join her. "Let's talk. You don't trust me. I probably wouldn't trust me either if this was my first time in Hell. So I get where you're coming from. Keep being shrewd - that'll let you get by in this place, and that's my free tip to you folks.

So, you're worried about landing right in among Tiamat's guards? Let me go find my maps, I'll point you to where the major guard stations are and where you'll land. I have a reputation to uphold, you know, and dropping mortals into deadly situations on the regular just does not make me look good. I like mortals. I like when you do well, and I especially like being able to say 'you see that, I helped them get that done' because it means I did well, too."

She gets up and heads toward a back room. "I'm going to go find my maps. Think on it. And think on this - four thousand total for all of you, and I'll even come with you. Or I'll draw up a passport for you, explaining your business with the dragon. In triplicate, with every aurosh slashed, signed by Baalzephon himself. Malphas will take one look at the paperwork and the sniveling worm will dust the path ahead of you as you walk toward the throne room."

Belac93
2016-07-11, 12:25 PM
"Oddly polite." Illufaus muses. "I don't have much experience with fiends, but are they usually this friendly? She actually seems like a reasonable person."

Rokku
2016-07-11, 01:40 PM
"The friendlier they are the more we should probably worry," says Rokku, "but this one may actually be on the up and up. As much as she can be, anyway."

Irish Musician
2016-07-12, 09:03 AM
Liddil narrows her eyes as the devil speaks, and when she is gone, turns to the others, "Rokku is right, the friendlier, the more we need to be careful. She seems as if she wants to help us, but she is evil incarnate so how much can we trust her, exactly. I was not aware we needed this much gold to get to Tiamat, I have naught but 600g left from my travels and trying to find everyone. Of course, anyone who pays into this....bribe....will be compensated back their gold." Liddil looks the way the devil went, "I hate to even consider dealing with one such as her, but desperate times and all.....and unless someone knows a quicker way to get to Tiamat herself...."

Lioslaith
2016-07-12, 10:16 AM
Sebastian listens to Liddil quietly and when she finishes "I could offer her my soul, if you think it would help. I've not had much use for it lately."

Irish Musician
2016-07-12, 10:30 AM
Liddil shakes her head as Zane's words come out, "Absolutely not. No ones soul is being sold today. Not on my watch."

Lioslaith
2016-07-12, 11:12 AM
Sebastian smiles at the defiant little woman leading them, "Then I am thankful it is indeed your watch, littlebit."

Rokku
2016-07-12, 10:02 PM
"I happen to have a cash surplus," says Rokku, "not much to spend on when the Sun Above provides. I'd be happy to make up any difference."

Panzo
2016-07-12, 10:13 PM
"I... have some gold as well, I brought them thinking we were gonna be able to spend them on a lot of wares and goodies but, I assume there isn't much of that here. I could split it with you Rokku, if everyone is alright with this deal."

Belac93
2016-07-15, 03:59 PM
"I regret that I have very little money at this moment," Illufaus says, turning out his pockets apologetically, "So, I am afraid I will not be able to pay for anything much."

SaintRidley
2016-07-16, 12:01 AM
She returns with a rolled up piece of parchment. "Found it. So, do we have a deal?"

Irish Musician
2016-07-18, 08:23 AM

"I... have some gold as well, I brought them thinking we were gonna be able to spend them on a lot of wares and goodies but, I assume there isn't much of that here. I could split it with you Rokku, if everyone is alright with this deal."

Liddil gives both of them a little bow, "Yondalla thanks you, and I swear you will be given back everything you give for this. I will make sure of it." As the devil comes back, Liddil narrows her eyes again, but begrudgingly agrees. "As much as I hate to even talk to a devil, much less make a deal with one, it seems we have no choice. You will have your money, fiend. And I swear my Yondalla herself, if you betray us, I will come back for you." Liddil's hands pulse with electrical energies for a moment. She knew she wasn't very intimidating, but that didn't make her promise any less real.

Lioslaith
2016-07-18, 08:35 AM
Sebastian drops his gold pouch into the mix with the rest.

Rokku
2016-07-18, 09:25 AM
Rokku hands his gold to Liddil.

"Take what you need little one. I trust you."

SaintRidley
2016-07-21, 01:08 AM
Her eyes light up as she reaches for the pouch. "Do you feel the electricity between us?" she asks Liddil. She then spreads her parchment on the table, revealing a map of the area surrounding Tiamat's palace.

"Since you're worried about guards and such I'm not going to have you go right to the gate. You'll be dropped off here," she points to a spot on the map roughly a mile south of the palace, "that way you can sneak or do whatever it is mortals do when approaching gods. Just follow the road, and if the smell grows stronger you'll know you're going in the right direction.

"Mind the maggot pit," she says, pointing to a large area directly to the south of the gate. "You don't want to fall in, but as you can see the best way to the gate is to cross it. Here's that claw - present it to Arraka at the gate there and he'll know I sent you and not to try and bother you. Inside, the place is a bit of a maze. I don't rightly remember how to reach the throne room, but the only guard station I know of on the inside is directly outside the throne room. That's where you should find Malphas.

"And here is the passport. Signed and sealed by Baalzephon. That should keep you out of trouble with any other Baatezu. Especially with Bel out there still frustrated that Archduchess Zariel has her job back. Are you ready? If you'll follow me to the wine cellar, you'll be on your way."

You each feel there's a bit more than she's letting on, but you can't quite place what or why, and whether it's intentional deception or simply devilish nature. Your instincts say be on your guard, though.

Irish Musician
2016-07-21, 08:40 AM
Liddil listens to the Devil's explanation.....but something seems to be missing. She doesn't know what and she can't quite tell why there is something missing....but there is. "Wait", Liddil says before they head down to the basement, "what aren't you telling us? I can tell there is something. Come on, then....spit it out."

Lioslaith
2016-07-21, 10:37 AM
Sebastian mulls over what the devil said and his limited knowledge of the lower plains.

Disregard if he needn't roll it. [roll0]

Panzo
2016-07-21, 11:16 AM
Kiara nods to Liddil in respect then glances back at the devil, "Whoa there, hold up. You said you'd come with us or give us the passport. We haven't decided on that yet, so let's not rush things alright? And here's my share of gold... that I'll give once you answer the boss's question. Go on then, you heard the lady."

Insight: [roll0]
Intimidation: [roll1]

SaintRidley
2016-07-21, 02:35 PM
At Liddil's question she tilts her head. "You're a nosy little mortal, aren't you? Here." She takes out a scrap of parchment and burns a short message into it with her finger tip. "Destroy that when you've read it. You don't want that message falling into the wrong hands. Your heads would roll and I would be demoted."

Translated, it reads: I forged the seal. Making passports for mortals is my racket, and I'm very good at it.

Kiara's words seem to have an effect. She holds her hands up in wide-eyed shock. "Well, all right, we'll go slow then. With your lifespans I would have thought you would want to go faster, but that's not my business. So you decide, passport or escort to the site."

She stands aside and waits for you to confer and decide. In the meantime, an imp teleports in next to her, looks at you, and whispers in her ear. "Tell them to come collect it themselves. As you can see, I am currently negotiating a deal with some very pleasant mortals," she says. The imp whispers something else into her ear. "No. Yes. No again." She rubs her forehead a bit and shakes her head, while the imp whispers yet again. "Okay. I will talk to them later. Give me that parchment." She marks the parchment with her finger. "There. Now go back to licking the scum off their talons."

Irish Musician
2016-07-21, 02:45 PM
Liddil reads it over and looks up at the devil, "Something tells me our heads would roll regardless. How confident are you in these passports?" Liddil stuffs the burnt parchment down the front of her studded leather, in a hurry. "Confident enough that I should never have to use that message?" Liddil raises and eyebrow at the devil.

SaintRidley
2016-07-21, 03:12 PM
Her eyes narrow and she leans in close and whispers into Liddil's ear. "You want to be careful how you speak - you never know which walls have ears in Baator." She straightens herself up and speaks normally again. "How long do you mortals live? Two hundred years? Three hundred before it all goes dark? I've been doing my job for at least eight of your mortal lifetimes. If you want my help, and it seems more like you need my help, then I think we have an understanding. Do we have an understanding?"

Irish Musician
2016-07-21, 03:21 PM
Liddil slightly flinches as the devil leans in to whisper in her ear. She can feel the heat of its breath on her neck...it makes her uncomfortable. "We do have an understanding....as long as we have an understanding." Liddil gives her a knowing look, making sure she understands, "If so, then show us the way. I am ready to be rid of the hells as soon as I can."

Belac93
2016-07-25, 01:35 AM
Her eyes narrow and she leans in close and whispers into Liddil's ear. "You want to be careful how you speak - you never know which walls have ears in Baator." She straightens herself up and speaks normally again. "How long do you mortals live? Two hundred years? Three hundred before it all goes dark? I've been doing my job for at least eight of your mortal lifetimes. If you want my help, and it seems more like you need my help, then I think we have an understanding. Do we have an understanding?"

"And I have been doing my job for at least that long." Illufuas says casually. "My job is simple, at least nowadays. Kill things that make trouble. I am willing to accept your offer, but remember to keep us on your good side." A faint energy radiates out from him.

He leans in and whispers in her ear, "I will be doing whatever I can to keep us safe. If it comes to that, and an escort is needed, is there a way I can contact you?"

Casting Detect magic.

SaintRidley
2016-07-26, 04:04 PM
"Well here's someone with a proper sense of time, at least," she says. "If you need me, send for Jebelam. Now if you would all follow me to the wine cellar, I have to figure out which of my circles is for the Maggot Pit drop off again. I think it's next to the rack for the bloodwine."

As you head down into the cellar, it grows very dark. Those with darkvision see nothing out of the ordinary, just racks and shelves filled with bottles of wine. "This shelf here," she gestures, "is of a vintage from before Darkspine wound up down here. Seven thousand years old and the best wine ever made in Sigil, and now I'm the only seller."

She tells you to mind your step as she makes a turn around a big cask. "Haven't bottled that one yet, I'm still aging it another few centuries. The grapes were watered by the Styx itself. Should turn out quite potent in the end."

At last you find yourselves in a far corner of the wine cellar, near a small rack. "Okay." She waves a hand and the wall behind the rack disappears, revealing a chamber about fifteen feet on a side, with a very large circle carved into the stone floor. She peers at it and nods. "This is the one. Get in the circle and you'll be at your destination in no time."

Belac93
2016-07-27, 12:26 AM
Illufaus walks in, and his ghouls follow. "Whenever everyone is ready."

He gives the devil a wink, "Send me a message when you are ready to crack the cask open. I'd love to try a glass with you."

Lioslaith
2016-07-28, 06:21 AM
Sebastian follows his old friend into the circle.

Irish Musician
2016-07-28, 10:52 AM
Liddil takes a deep breathe and steps into the circle, "Alright, lets do this."

Panzo
2016-07-30, 09:35 AM
"Here we go..." Kiara follows Liddil into the circle.

Rokku
2016-08-03, 12:27 PM
Rokku chuckles and steps into the circle.

SaintRidley
2016-08-05, 08:18 PM
As you all step into the circle, she flashes a smile. "You take care of your business. Don't be strangers, now." In a flash you're no longer in the wine cellar, but aboveground near a cliff. There's a steep road leading downhill, and a sign, though half the sign has been charred to cinder. What's left is virtually unreadable.

If you look to your left, right, or behind you, you see a long featureless expanse for several miles. In the furthest distance, you can see what you surmise to be several clusters of devils battalion formation. What they're doing for sure, you can't say. Meteors rain from the sky periodically, striking seemingly at random. One lands a mere hundred yards away, and you can feel the heat and shockwave, though you are thankfully unharmed.

You catch a faint whiff of something very foul in the air, a scent reeking of spoiled milk and cat urine, blended with rotten eggs and the intestinal lining of an owlbear, left to bake in the desert sun for a year. Even as faint as it is, you cannot believe the intensity once your nose zeroes in on it. You can certainly tell that the smell is coming from down in the valley below.

As you look over the edge of the cliff, you see two things. First, the road continues downward at a steep incline until it reaches level ground below, roughly 400 feet down. About a mile in the distance you can make out a huge pool of disgusting yellow liquid, presumably the Maggot Pit that has been mentioned.

More to the point, however, is that directly ahead of you, four hundred feet above the pit, is sheer cliff. It's as if the ground below has slowly expanded and drifted apart and once upon a time your cliff face was joined with the one opposite. As you follow the rock upward, you judge about a thousand feet above the Maggot Pit, a ridiculously large, ostentatious castle with five towers stands on the higher cliff's edge. You can see fliers wheeling about in the air. Occasionally one drops something, only for it to be caught by another flier, except once you see one that gets dropped without getting caught, and it plunges into the Maggot Pit with a thunderous crash and a huge wave that washes to the shoreline.

Belac93
2016-08-06, 10:42 AM
"Well, down the road we go then, eh?" Illufaus says, crinkling his nose up. "My, that is a hellish smell, isn't it? No pun intended. Shall we walk?" He gestures at the road as if he was offering tea in the garden, with a slight twitch in his eye.

Irish Musician
2016-08-06, 04:31 PM
Liddil does her best not to wretch at the combonation of sight and smell of the maggot pit. "Yes, the sooner we can see the dragon queen, the sooner we can get out of the hells." She starts to move in the direction of Tiamat's lair.

SaintRidley
2016-08-10, 09:47 PM
As you head down the path, the area surrounding the Maggot Pit comes into focus. You can see large dirt mounts and cages, with at least two dozen devils milling about down there.

There's not much but barren dusty plains between you and the Pit. About halfway to the pit, a bit to the right of your path, you notice a small flash of light. You'll be that far down the path in about a minute.

The path is rocky, uneven ground on an incline, leveling off with the plain after about a quarter mile. There are parts that seem to have steps carved into them, but they seem to be heavily worn from the weather.

Belac93
2016-08-10, 09:56 PM
Question: What kind of path are we on? I got the feeling that we were going down a cliff path, with tiered roads, or are we just in the middle of a road in nowhere?

Belac93
2016-08-11, 11:02 AM
Illufaus summons his sword of bone, and starts towards the flash. His ghouls follow.

Lioslaith
2016-08-12, 06:22 AM
Sebastian says, "Illufaus, don't go chasing rabbit's down their holes now, we need to focus."

Irish Musician
2016-08-12, 08:44 AM
Liddil nods, "Indeed, we are here to talk with Tiamat, and any distractions that don't help with this goal should be put aside."

Belac93
2016-08-12, 10:27 AM
"Oh, sorry!" Illufaus says, getting back on track. "You know, sometimes, you find interesting things down rabbit holes."

Irish Musician
2016-08-12, 10:52 AM
Liddil smiles, "And sometimes you find snakes that have eaten the rabbits and taken over their hole."

SaintRidley
2016-08-13, 10:08 PM
You continue down the path, ignoring the spot that had flashed. There doesn't seem to be anything there, anyway. Perhaps it was just a weird glint of metal being uncovered or re-covered by the wind. Perhaps it was simply a figment of your imaginations.

As the ground levels out, you can make out more detail. You can't exactly see the pit anymore, but the mounds stack up to between 5 and 15 feet high, with the tops of the cages roughly 10 feet above the ground, at your best guess. There's a gap the road leads to through which you can see devils moving to and fro. None seem to have noticed you yet. The ones high up in the air seem to be paying no notice to the ground. In the far distance down the road, you can see across the pit to the mouth of a cave in the cliffside.

Everyone give me Perception checks.

[roll0]

Belac93
2016-08-13, 10:16 PM
[roll0]

If the ghouls can make perception checks as well, here they are! (I'll just roll for them all at once.)
[roll1]

Lioslaith
2016-08-15, 06:28 AM
[roll0] I always hate if/when I roll lower than my passive score.

Panzo
2016-08-17, 06:59 AM
[roll0]
Kiara takes a look around, quiet, still in awe of the completely different plane she's on.

Irish Musician
2016-08-17, 09:42 AM
Perception check [roll0]

SaintRidley
2016-08-17, 03:32 PM
You barely notice it, but it seems that there might be something invisible near where the flash went off as you go by. There's no visible trail, but if you listen very closely it sounds like there's an additional set of footsteps beyond what should normally be there. How do you respond?

You see and hear nothing going on around you, and the devils down in the pit area seem to be paying you no mind. You're close enough now to see why, though - a pair of guards stand at the end of the road. They're large, ghostly white devils with skin pulled taut over sharp bones. A tail curves up and over each guard's shoulders, revealing a large, pointed tip, like a scorpion's.

As they see you, they stop what looks like it must have been a riveting conversation and stand straight up, the better to intimidate you as you approach. While you are now able to see, you still have about two minutes before you reach them.

Belac93
2016-08-17, 04:20 PM
"You hear that?" Illufaus whispers to Sebastian, setting a hand on his sword. He sends out a pulse of magical energy.

Casting Detect Magic at-will.

Irish Musician
2016-08-18, 10:23 AM
Liddil sees the guards, and just keeps walking. Small, but confident, and determined to not let these devils push them around. She has things to do, and her goddess is counting on her. She will not let Yondalla down.

Panzo
2016-08-20, 09:30 AM
"They don't scare me. Once we get there, just say the word boss." Kiara clutches her maul tight and marches alongside Liddil.

Lioslaith
2016-08-22, 06:13 AM
"You hear that?" Illufaus whispers to Sebastian, setting a hand on his sword. He sends out a pulse of magical energy.

Casting Detect Magic at-will.

Nodding in agreement Sebastian lays hand to sword as well and waits for Illufaus to react.

SaintRidley
2016-08-24, 04:13 PM
As you walk, a meteor strikes the ground about 90 yards to your left. Thirty seconds go by and you can see the guards better. They're looking at you, and it's hard to read their faces (Insight checks).

You sense an aura near Rokku.

Irish Musician
2016-08-24, 04:23 PM
"Well, let us try and talk our way through....and actually use these passports. If they attack, then kill them." Liddil walks on, acting as if she were exactly where she needs to be. Because she is.

Insight Check [roll0]

Belac93
2016-08-24, 05:59 PM
Illufaus whispers to his ghouls, and they charge Rokku, clawing at the air around him.

Sending the ghouls to attack where the aura is coming from, non-lethal strikes.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
If hit and not an undead or elf, the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
If hit and not an undead or elf, the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

SaintRidley
2016-08-25, 01:46 AM
The ghouls claw at the air around and behind Rokku, but near as any of you can tell all they're hitting is air. "What's all this about?" Rokku asks. "Call them off! Or I'll -- OWW! I don't know what that was, but it was cold. I think something just walked by me." He closes his eyes, trying to block out all external stimuli. "Didn't go far. Just backed off a little." He holds up all of his fingers, and then gestures with his thumb towards himself, as if to say without saying aloud that whatever it is is behind him.

Panzo
2016-08-25, 08:12 AM
Kiara looks back at the guards, unfazed by what's going on with the others.

[roll0]

Belac93
2016-08-25, 10:24 AM
Illufaus and the ghouls rush forward, swinging at the air behind Rokku. "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" He sings, grinning.

All Attacking the spots he indicated.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

SaintRidley
2016-08-30, 02:09 AM
Illufaus's blade bites into the invisible creature once, though the creature remains invisible. You hear Rokku grunt something about feeling very cold in his spine, but even as he tries to turn and strike he only finds empty air.

"Flee now. The queen is our quarry," you hear, a short distance to the left of Rokku's current position. The voice, though warped, is distinctly Elven in pitch and tone. "Turn back. Your gods cannot help, for it is now their time."

Insight checks, please.

Belac93
2016-08-30, 10:53 AM
[roll0]

Illufaus and his ghouls stop attacking, but stay ready.

Irish Musician
2016-08-30, 12:12 PM
"We will not falter, we are here for one thing, and we will pay no mind to invisible voices. Leave us." Liddil keeps moving along, towards the guards.

Insight [roll0]