PDA

View Full Version : The Best Splatbook Ever

2016-07-08, 12:02 AM
I recommend checking out "Fire and Brimstone: A Comprehensive Guide to Lava, Magma, and Superheated Rock". It's a wonderful read that delves deep into the subject matter, and is comprehensive enough to satisfy any need for rules regarding situations involving these materials.

Inevitability
2016-07-08, 05:29 AM
The material on lava and magma is alright, but I found the 'superheated rock' section lacking.

Also, what happens if someone with regeneration not bypassed by fire falls into lava? Do they die anyway, or do they regenerate after escaping the lava?

Âmesang
2016-07-08, 06:25 AM
I was expecting the "Book of Erotic Fantasy." :smalltongue: Darn.

2016-07-08, 06:30 AM
The material on lava and magma is alright, but I found the 'superheated rock' section lacking.

Also, what happens if someone with regeneration not bypassed by fire falls into lava? Do they die anyway, or do they regenerate after escaping the lava?

You are not immune to fire, so your body is essentially disintegrated; since there's nothing left to regenerate from, the regeneration doesn't occur. Of course, this is a ruling rather than RAW, but it's in line with the RAI of this splatbook.

I was expecting the "Book of Erotic Fantasy." :smalltongue: Darn.

That book is far too rules-y to be the best. To be the best, it would need to be a pamphlet reading "If you want sex stuff in your roleplaying game, roleplay it; attaching mechanics to sex stuff makes your game more like FATAL, and nobody wants that".

Necromancy
2016-07-08, 07:30 AM
For those who are unfamiliar with FATAL, read this

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/fatal-worst-rpg/1/

Âmesang
2016-07-08, 07:56 AM
You are not immune to fire, so your body is essentially disintegrated; since there's nothing left to regenerate from, the regeneration doesn't occur. Of course, this is a ruling rather than RAW, but it's in line with the RAI of this splatbook.
Any way to remove the tarrasque's immunity to fire?

Elricaltovilla
2016-07-08, 08:00 AM
Wouldn't the best splatbook be the one that details falling damage? :smalltongue:

KillingAScarab
2016-07-08, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't the best splatbook be the one that details falling damage? :smalltongue:Complete Defenestration. :smallcool:

Don't forget to read the inspirational fantasy materials listed in the back. Through the Looking-Glass. "The Fall of the House of Usher." :smalltongue:

The Insanity
2016-07-08, 09:11 AM
You spelled Tome of Battle wrong.

digiman619
2016-07-08, 04:16 PM

I think you misspelled Spheres of Power. ^_^

Yael
2016-07-08, 04:28 PM

I'm getting worried, as it seems everyone here can't type Unearthed Arcana properly :smalleek:

Segev
2016-07-08, 04:36 PM
I'm getting worried, as it seems everyone here can't type Unearthed Arcana properly :smalleek:

Especially since it's spelled Libris Mortis
Okay, Heroes of Horror had a better necromancer CLASS in it...

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-08, 04:54 PM
Especially since it's spelled Libris Mortis
Okay, Heroes of Horror had a better necromancer CLASS in it...

We all know libris Morris is terrible Latin that roughly translates to "serpent kingdoms"

Eldan
2016-07-08, 05:07 PM
Serpent Kingdoms is a weird way to spell Uncaged.

Tvtyrant
2016-07-08, 05:09 PM
The best splatbook ever is AD&D. How much of 3.5's community efforts were turned to converting the crunch from AD&D settings and modules over to 3.5 rules? Planescape, Spelljammer and Dark Sun especially stand out as being amazing fluff and crunch wise.

Âmesang
2016-07-08, 05:14 PM
I can't imagine anything more fun than the Animated Series Handbook. :smallamused:

Look at Uni's eyes. Look at 'em! (And know despair.)

Malimar
2016-07-08, 05:15 PM
something something Lords of Madness tho

Necromancy
2016-07-08, 08:16 PM

{Image scrubbed}

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-08, 08:23 PM
{Image Scrubbed}

I had many responses to this:

But dem maneuvers tho

Careful buddy, round these parts, that's akin to hate speech. And the moderators ain't keen on hate speech, if ya know what I'm sayin.

lol.

Tvtyrant
2016-07-08, 08:29 PM
something something Lords of Madness tho

I do love me some Lords of Madness. Although it isn't quite as exciting as the old Beyond the Setting Sun article with the Mindflayer world.

2016-07-08, 08:47 PM
Careful buddy, round these parts, that's akin to hate speech. And the moderators ain't keen on hate speech, if ya know what I'm sayin.

I can second that. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19924416&postcount=15)

Necromancy
2016-07-08, 08:54 PM

Hate speech against a book? Isn't that all we do in this forum?

2016-07-08, 08:59 PM
Hate speech against a book? Isn't that all we do in this forum?

Most people hating on sourcebooks around here don't use actual hate speech to do so...and, as I've linked to already, when they do, it gets scrubbed, and for good reason.

Necromancy
2016-07-08, 09:00 PM
Maybe you don't know what hate speech is? *shrug*

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-08, 09:12 PM
Maybe you don't know what hate speech is? *shrug*

I think hatespeech may be a strong term for it, but at one point, there were young people here on the forum. [URL="http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/weeaboo"] {Scrubbed}

stack
2016-07-08, 09:23 PM

I have nothing more to add to this post.:smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2016-07-08, 10:11 PM
Sheriff:Please drag this discussion away from the propriety of particular terms and back on an actual discussion about books.

ekarney
2016-07-08, 10:20 PM
You all have incredibly odd ways of spelling Complete Arcana or Wow the Wu Jen really is the best class ever I'm so glad it got updated!

Alternatively, and to actually get onto the discussion part: Dragonmech Campaign Setting is very cool indeed is a post-apocalyptic steampunk setting that has mechs and travelling cities, plus it's compatible with most other 3.X stuff.

And also, not that I'd know because the game's only in closed beta and it's not like I'm the writer or anything :smallwink: but I've heard Mechaspirit: 2041 is going to be incredible, despite it not being too compatible.

Tvtyrant
2016-07-08, 10:26 PM
Dragonmech is pretty awesome, although it has some problems synching with the normal game. Everyone basically needs to be on board with fighting from inside a mech, and the prices don't work at all.

Gildedragon
2016-07-08, 10:47 PM
It is spelled
D R A G O N -space- C O M P E N D I U M
Not... Any of those things.
You're like the ghoti people...

Waker
2016-07-08, 11:52 PM
To join in on this madness, my favorite splatbooks are Magic of Incarnum and the Tome of Battle. Both are great systems that mesh incredibly well with the rest of the game and each other, plus introducing five great new classes and a slew of prestige classes. Now if only MoI were edited a bit better.

digiman619
2016-07-09, 12:00 AM
To join in on this madness, my favorite splatbooks are Magic of Incarnum and the Tome of Battle. Both are great systems that mesh incredibly well with the rest of the game and each other, plus introducing five great new classes and a slew of prestige classes. Now if only MoI were edited a bit better.

Then Dreamscarred Press will soon be your favorite 3PP, as they fixed those as Akashic Mysteries and Path of War respectively.

Waker
2016-07-09, 12:05 AM
Then Dreamscarred Press will soon be your favorite 3PP, as they fixed those as Akashic Mysteries and Path of War respectively.

I've seen a bit of PoW and it has me curious. I know pretty much nothing about Akashic aside from it being the PF version of MoI.

Sliver
2016-07-09, 04:34 AM
I love me some 3rd party, Chainmail Bikini and Bride of Portable Hole for example...

Sun Elemental
2016-07-09, 04:54 AM
Well, there are many nominations for best splat.
Tome of 9 Swords and Expanded Psionics Handbook, for outstanding contributions to balance.
Lords of Madness, for excellent encounter design and villain motivations.
Planar Handbook, for all the funny races and prestige classes.
And the winner is...?
Dungeonscape, for its snazzy tier3 class, cheesy prestige class , fun templates for monsters, decent mundane gear for lowbies, many plot hooks, and containing more guidance on dungeon design than all Dungeon Master's Guides put together.