PDA

View Full Version : Epic Gestalt Monk, Fleshing Out Needed

Extramask
2016-07-08, 04:28 AM
I am currently building an epic gestalt for a game, and here is what I have so far monk 20/Panther Shen 10 (Dragon 319) /Rouge 10

Ideas and thoughts so far:
-it will have a base move speed of 190
-it has amazing saves
-I am taking the feat from Dragon 319 that turns monk into an int based class over wis (for all of those sweet rogue skill points)
-it will be unarmed
-it will have enlarge permanency on it

Ideas needed: (no idea is a bad one)
-Ideas for feat progression (have 7 not including the wis to int feat)
-magic item ideas
-ways to optimize my sneak attack with flurry
-fun rule exploits
-backstory ideas
-general flavor

I really appreciate any help, I'll check back with this thread in the morning!

Troacctid
2016-07-08, 04:46 AM
I'd recommend the wild monk variant from Dragon #324. Wild shape is great, and it unlocks a fair number of great feats, like Dragon Wild Shape, Exalted Wild Shape, Improved Elemental Wild Shape, and the always-awesome Force of Nature (http://web.archive.org/web/20100916093852/http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080428) epic destiny from Dragon #363. Boon of Storms is particularly nice for a gestalt rogue, as it's an action-efficient sneak attack delivery mechanism that also enables hiding via concealment.

Seppo87
2016-07-08, 04:48 AM
You seem very enthusiast about your build, so it might sound like I'm being the party pooper, but it's actually extremely weak, and when I say extremely, I mean it. It is not optimized in the least. You're not going to hit stuff and you're not going to pass saves with ease.
You are basically a a standard monk, your BaB is no better, HP is no better, you have only a few extra skill points, and your sneak attack is meager.
Most nongestalt builds are better than this - actually, a basic Swordsage 20 is better than this.

For an average epic gestalt campaign it would be probably adequate to at least triple its power.
Since this is 3.5 there is no real upper limit, it depends on how much tweaking is allowed, especially on class choice. There are ways to keep the "int-based monk/rogue" flavor while being also efficient, and I highly suggest you open up to such suggestions before you find out how lower than expected your character is going to perform.

Unarmed Swordsage is THE monk/rogue/ninja of choice if you're after this kind of archetype.
Can be paired with a Daring Outlaw for full BaB and Sneak Attack progression, and you can easily dip Monk2 for the Flurry option + feats, and the INT-to-AC thing.

Is Shen important or you could go with a werepanther as well? Most of its abilities can be done with feats anyway.

Necromancy
2016-07-08, 07:45 AM
Here's a handy class guide that may help

https://m.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4i74op/rouge_is_makeup_rogue_is_a_dd_character_class/

Gruftzwerg
2016-07-09, 02:29 AM
Imho you should consider something like this:

1. have a look at my monk/warlock/enlightened fist/monk of the enabled hand build in my signature.

2. transfer it into a gestalt build:

- you could add cleric/druid + sacred fist for additional divine spellpower

or

- go for druid + master of many forms + warshaper to add some wildshape cheese (I would recommend this option)

or

-go fighter for some additional (charge related) feats. + PrC

or

-get some additional warlock progression for greater invisibility permanent on (24h)

so many options, just get creative.