PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] DM needs rough draft of NPC for tonight

Chronikoce
2016-07-08, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone, I'm running a game tonight and just realized I forgot to stat up an NPC that will likely come into play this session. Unfortunately I'm at work until about an hour before the game is scheduled to start so I turn to you all in hopes that someone has a quick draft they can toss up for me to use.

Character needed.
Level 12 Unarmed swordsage with a focus on stealth and a combination of unarmed attacks and use of shortspear (if you've read the wheel of time series the theme is similar to an Aiel warrior).

I'm not terribly concerned about items and I don't need a full explicit build (unless you have one).
The biggest needs in order are
1) maneuvers (I've never played a SS before so don't know what to pick)
2) feats/stances
3) any general advice you might have

Optimization level of the party to give you an idea of where they stand
Factotum 8 /wizard 3: low op, new player and fails to use abilities to full extent all the time
Dragonfire adept 11: breath weapons for AoE battlefield control and anti-caster invocations
Paladin 11: 2h power attack build with minor secondary focus on healing
Witch 11: debuffing and some damage

Zancloufer
2016-07-08, 03:45 PM
Okay, so first the Stat block in standard "Monster" format:

Unarmed Swordsage
Size/Type: Medium Human
Class/Level: Swordsage 12 - 12d8+24 (96 HP)
Initiative: +14
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armour Class: 27 (+7 Dex, +2 Armour, +2 Deflection, +3 Wis, +3 Tumble), touch 25, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+10
Attack: Siangham +20 1d6+10 20x2 Crit or Unarmed Strike +18 2d6+8 20x2 Crit
Full Attack: Siangham +18/18 1d6+10 20x2 Crit or Unarmed Strike +16/16 2d6+8 20x2 Crit
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Combat Manoeuvres, Combat Stances.
Special Abilities: Quick to Act +3, AC Bonus (+Wis), Sense Magic, Evasion, Monk Unarmed Strike Progression (2d6 damage, consider magic)
Disciple Focus – Shadow Hand - Wis to dmg with Manoeuvres, +2 Saving Throws when in Stance, +2 hit with Dagger, Sai, Spiked Chain, Siangham, Short Sword, Unarmed Strike. Diamond Mind – Wis to damage with manoeuvres
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +17, Will +13
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 21(24) Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14(16), Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +16, Hide +22, Move Silently +22, Sense Motive +18, Spot +18, Listen +18, Tumble +22
Feats: Adaptive Style (Change Manoeuvres readied with Full Round Action), Shadow Blade (Dex to Damage with Dagger, Sai, Spiked Chain, Siangham, Short Sword, Unarmed Strike), Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, Extra Readied Manoeuvre, Two-Weapon Fighting
Equipment: Boots of Dex +3, Belt of Wis +2, Siangham +2, Ring of Resistance +2, Ring of Protection +2, Bracers of Armour +2,
Alignment: ???
Martial Adept Schools : Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw,
Manoeuvres and Stances Known(17/4) 9 Readied:
1) [Stance] Child of Shadow – Gain Concealment as long as move, Clinging Shadow Strike – Target suffers 20% miss chance, [Counter] Counter Charge – Ruin charge, force enemy away. Sapphire Nightmare Blade – Concentration vs AC, Win enemy flat-footed +1d6 damage. [Stance] Flame's Blessing - DR 20 Fire. [Boost] – Burning Blade – 1d6+12 extra fire damage 1 round.
2) Emerald Razor – Melee attack is considered touch attack. Shadow Jaunt – Teleport 50ft. [Counter] Baffling Defence – Use Sense Motive inplace of AC. Cloak of Deception [Boost] – Invisible for 1 round.
3) [Stance] Assassin's Stance - +2d6 Sneak attack, Shadow Garrote – Ranged Touch attack, 5d6 damage, [Counter] – Mind over Body – Use Concentration instead of Fort Save.
4) Hand of Death – DC 17 Fort or Paralysis for 1d3 rounds, Ruby Nightmare Blade – Concentration vs AC, Doubles damage on success.
5) Shadow Stride – Teleport 50ft as move action. [Stance] - Step of the Dancing Moth – Ignore Difficult terrain, walk on liquid as if solid.
6) [Boost] Moment of Alacrity - +20 Initiative. Ghost Blade – Target becomes flat-footed. [Counter] Scorpion Parry – Redirect attack to different target.

So notes:
1) Has about ~25k GP in WBL atm, 32 PB and 6 HP per HD. Not sure what kind of wealth, stats, or even how you roll for HP. Could give him and extra 12-24 HP if you are generous with HP/level. Always thought the monsters with 1/2 HP/HD was kind of lame. Also used the tumble to AC synergy bonus, can't remember off top of my head where it's from.
2) [Boosts] are a swift action to use, [Stances] you can change, but always have one of the 4 active. Every other manoeuvre other than Shadow Stride is a Standard action to use.
3) Siangham is technically a Short Spear, in the way that a oversized dagger is a sword. I mean you are the DM you can describe it as one anyway. Plus being a Shadow Hand Weapon he actually deals damage with it (Add Dex to damage and use Dex to hit with ALL those weapons). If you used a 100% RAW short spear it would be essentially useless.
4) Used TWF instead of irridatives in the full attack. -2/-2 to hit vs -0/-5 to hit is probably better atm.
5) Tactics? Besides WINNING at initiative (14+20 FROM BOOST!) Assassin's Stance grants +2d6 damage against any opponent flat-footed, being flanked, or him striking from concealment. Hand of Death, Cloak of Deception, Ghost Blade and Sapphire Nightmare Blade let you make people flat-footed to strike at (no Dex to AC and +2d6 damage). 50ft teleport let's him move around quite easily, and Mind over Body + Scorpion Parry + Baffling Defence help shore up defences.
Also Emerald Razor and Ruby Nightmare Blade are just WIN. The two Desert Wind ones where more of a "Too many choices at level 1" and also give him a little bit of completely different things that are viable.

Chronikoce
2016-07-08, 06:06 PM
Sweet, thank you very much!

trikkydik
2016-07-08, 06:42 PM
I think its so awesome that you asked for some pretty lengthy assistance and your request was obliged in less than an hour.

LOL i love this site.

Zancloufer
2016-07-09, 10:39 AM
I just really like making characters and ToB is one of my favourite sub-systems (Martial classes that are balanced AND fun to play?) My Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate saves where really bad with like 1/20 characters actually getting that far into the story.

Just don't see many people asking for help making characters/stat blocks especially as DM's.

Also I just realized this character only has 1 "spear", so if he was to TWF with it the other attack would have to be unarmed.