PDA

View Full Version : Turning Devils good and Celestials evil

ErebusVonMori
2016-07-08, 03:38 PM
Starting a game where I'm playing an aspiring god of Death and I want to know if there's any way to make a devil good or a celestial evil as thematically I wanted to make the evil celestial my left hand as an aspect of vengeance and the devil my aspect of mercy.

LordOfCain
2016-07-08, 04:01 PM
I believe there was an official redeemed succubus paladin. FOUND IT: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a

Steward
2016-07-08, 07:38 PM
Similar to that redeemed succubus, there is a chaotic evil angel named Avamerin in the Elder Evils 3.5 book. Even though he is evil, he still retains his Good subtype and his planetar abilities. That's an interesting wrinkle that you could play with since you have in these cases creatures that are literally infused with a force that doesn't match their alignments. It probably causes some kind of dissonance.

Malimar
2016-07-08, 07:47 PM
Mindrape, sanctify the wicked, and Helm of Opposite Alignment should all work on Outsiders.

Waker
2016-07-08, 08:08 PM
It would require me to dig it up to confirm it, but I believe there is a ritual in Savage Species that can change creature subtype.

Gildedragon
2016-07-08, 10:26 PM
WeeJas has a herald that is a LN succubus

Inevitability
2016-07-09, 04:10 AM
Easy. Find two Helmets of Opposite Alignment, force each of the outsiders to wear one until their alignment changes. You end up with a CG devil and a ?E celestial.

OldTrees1
2016-07-09, 08:53 AM
Outsiders like Angels and Fiends can change alignment the normal way. It is just extremely rare to find examples that have.

I would suggest doing it the long Roleplaying way. Many find that the shortcuts that force alignment change (Sanctify the Wicked, Mindrape, Helm of Opposite Alignment) break verisimilitude. So your DM might not allow them to work or make them only temporary (perhaps because a flipped personality is less stable than a transitioned personality).

So I would focus on taking an Angel and corrupting it (Utopia cannot exist until these minor evils have been purged) while taking a Devil and redeeming it (Caring about someone that would be hurt/disappointed by malice could work).

@Waker
Confirmed. The Savage Species ritual adds an alignment subtype but, as you know, alignment subtypes are completely independent of alignment.

hamishspence
2016-07-10, 03:20 PM
WeeJas has a herald that is a LN succubus

The one in Dragon Magazine's Core Beliefs: Wee Jas article is LE - but that's still a change from the CE that is standard.

Fall-From-Grace, from Planescape: Torment, however, is LN - and Dragon Magazine's Demonomicon: Malcanthet article mentions her as well.