PDA

View Full Version : Will this be "Overpowered"

Mongobear
2016-07-08, 07:19 PM
After some discussion on character development, my DM is allowing me to slightly "re-roll" my 11th level Barbarian this time using the Hunter Archetype from Ranger with the Barbarian base class to better represent a member of one of 12 Tribes of "Foe Hunters" specialized in killing a specific creature type. I was previously jusy using Totem Warrior (Bear/Wolf) becuase of how strong they were, but we both sort of figured Totem Warrior and Berserker don't represent these Barbarian tribes all that well, which lead to the Archetype borrowing from Ranger.

I am hoping this doesn't turn my already OP character into something even stronger or makes my power spike in other areas. We have already been haviing issue with my character out-shining the rest of the group in damage and survival, he has literally taken on creaturs 5+ CR above our average party level and come out of it with little more than minor wounds, while the rest of the party is eating dirt or otherwise incap'd.

So far, I have taken the Great Weapon Master and Resilient(Wisdom) Feats, and I have found a Belt of Hill Giant(?) Strength the one that gives a 21. I also have the +1 proficiency Ioun Stone and a Vicious Greataxe as equipment. I plan on taking the Hunter's Prey - Horde Breaker, Defensive Tactics - Escape the Horde, Multiattack - Whirlwind Attack, and Superior Hunter's Defense - Uncanny Dodge features from the Hunter path. Do any of these choice combined with the base Barbarian chassis break some aspect of the game I dont already completely demolish?

Gastronomie
2016-07-08, 08:05 PM
I don't think they'll be much of a problem. At least, compared to Totem Warrior.

If it turns out overpowered, the DM can always change it later - giving restrictions, making an ability weaker, etc.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-08, 08:47 PM
If anything it's a downgrade. You're trading very powerful-but-limited-use subclass features for minor-at-will ones, giving up utility subclass features (pretty much the only ones you get) entirely. At the very least I'd probably let you keep the Totem Barbarian's ritual magic. If it somehow becomes an issue, you could limit the hunter techniques to only be useable while raging.

Mongobear
2016-07-08, 11:51 PM
If anything it's a downgrade. You're trading very powerful-but-limited-use subclass features for minor-at-will ones, giving up utility subclass features (pretty much the only ones you get) entirely. At the very least I'd probably let you keep the Totem Barbarian's ritual magic. If it somehow becomes an issue, you could limit the hunter techniques to only be useable while raging.

This was discussed about being added. The Hunter abilities only working while Raging, but it was decided against for now.

A bit of background might be in order as well. I have been playing this character bi-weekly for over a year now, and he was my first one made for 5th edition. I went a little crazy with him, and wrote a 15+ page back-story spanning a decade of his life and his quest for vengeance against Orcs. I have bought/painted miniatures, found artwork for him and his equipment, and even 'cosplayed' as him for our halloween sessions. I even began a sort of fan-fiction/head canon story loosely based on the events happening in-character which I have sort of rewrote his personality. I don't really view him as a raging berserker, or a wise spirit-speaking shaman type guy, he has always been a sort of Lone Wolf/Ranger type character. I debated multi-classing as a Ranger/Barbarian, but giving up Barbarian 20 for low level ranger stuff just doesnt sound appealing for the minor benefits, which is where this discussion started, and eventually lead to the Hunter Barbarians.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-09, 07:03 AM
Maybe give a favored terrain/enemy with the Hunter archetype, then. It's hardly noticeable power-wise, but it's a slight bit of utility and a solid bit of flavor.