PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a Multi-layer treetop / rope bridge maze

MBControl
2016-07-09, 02:22 PM
So the idea I like is kind of like a treetop village connected by rope bridge, rope swings, elevators and ladders. I was thinking I might have them chase a quarry along this maze, so it wouldn't have to be crazy difficult, but bad enough to slow them down.

I would like to include traps, maybe moving items like a draw bridge that would force them to alter their path.

Think a back alley chase scene in a movie, except in the trees. So I guess a crate of oranges will have to get knocked over.

Should I pre-design a static maze of obstacles and bridges, or do I just free ball it on the fly? Generally like to have a map prepared, so that I can have prepared traps, and other encounters.

Thoughts and cool ideas begin below . . . .

P.S. Are group is spread out so this has to be Roll20 doable.

SilverStud
2016-07-09, 03:41 PM
You guys doing text or voice?
How badly do you want a map?
I recommend pre making a list of obstacles and setbacks like miniature rapid fire puzzle encounters, with frenetic narration between.

Easy_Lee
2016-07-09, 03:48 PM
Classic everquest featured a wood elf city which was exactly what you're talking about. There are many maps of it, and it was quite labyrinthine by itself. Hope this inspires.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kelethin

MBControl
2016-07-09, 04:17 PM
You guys doing text or voice?
How badly do you want a map?
I recommend pre making a list of obstacles and setbacks like miniature rapid fire puzzle encounters, with frenetic narration between.

We run a Skype video call with Roll20.

So you're saying run an improvised course with prepared encounters, much like doing a random travelling encounter. It would be less of a technical maze, than it is a active narrative. That would be easier, and I could control the pace better.

Thanks

MBControl
2016-07-09, 04:18 PM
Classic everquest featured a wood elf city which was exactly what you're talking about. There are many maps of it, and it was quite labyrinthine by itself. Hope this inspires.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Kelethin

Yup, that's amazing. Exactly what I had pictured in my head.