PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas for my next campaign

Belac93
2016-07-09, 04:06 PM
So, I'm going to run another game in person with my childhood friends, plus a couple of people they introduced to me.

However, I am lost for ideas. These people like sandbox, with a bit of direction, and I never know what they are going to do.

I was considering an evil game or a feywild game. Ideas?

One thing; my friends told me that one person has huge problems with any themes of betrayal, especially of people who trust each other. So nothing to do with that.

nedz
2016-07-09, 04:18 PM
So, I'm going to run another game in person with my childhood friends, plus a couple of people they introduced to me.

However, I am lost for ideas. These people like sandbox, with a bit of direction, and I never know what they are going to do.

I was considering an evil game or a feywild game. Ideas?

One thing; my friends told me that one person has huge problems with any themes of betrayal, especially of people who trust each other. So nothing to do with that.
Then you can't run an evil game - red because RED FLAG.
Feywild usually features tricks and the like - so this may be seen as betrayal also ? I don't know if this is actually the case - so purple flag

Belac93
2016-07-09, 04:37 PM
Then you can't run an evil game - red because RED FLAG.
Feywild usually features tricks and the like - so this may be seen as betrayal also ? I don't know if this is actually the case - so purple flag

Well, not pvp. We're flexible, we could find a way to make it work. Tricks aren't that big a deal.

I just want ideas for a bit of a plotline, we can figure out any problems with peoples sensibilities.

Comet
2016-07-09, 04:56 PM
How about something feywild and potentially evil if the players want:

Have a big map of a slice of the feywild, a vast expanse of rolling forest and suffocating jungle and cyclopean hillside. Tell the players that they are hunters and that they, in classic D&D fashion, get XP for killing things. What they kill is up to them, but kill they must if they want to get stronger.

That's your sandbox. Your players can hunt monsters or wage war on any of the various factions and settlements you would have set up throughout the feywild. They can be good and only hunt monsters that are dangerous to the surrounding wilds or factions that are enslaving other communities. They can be neutral and hunt monsters for their precious pelts, fangs and organs or only raid factions that they can get a good haul of gold out of without killing too many guardians. They can be utterly evil by hunting endangered mythical beasts or nature spirits and by engaging in all-out genocide of communities that don't bow to their will.

Level by level they get stronger and fight bigger monsters and wage war on a larger scale. And, by the end, you're going to find out together what kind of place the feywild really is and what kind of people end up ruling it with tooth and claw.

HatMadder
2016-07-10, 05:01 AM
Depends on what kind of game they want.

If they favor RP, then a political campaign where they're trying to overthrow a benevolent king.
They could slowly turn the people against the nobles/king, putting themselves into higher and higher positions of power through either assassinations or behind the scenes maneuvering. Could work for an evil campaign since they'd have access to the "seedy underbelly" of a kingdom (or city depending on scale)
Gives players a chance to work with poisons, setting traps, etc. Essentially playing the "BBEG" to the guards.

If they favor action and battle, then the feywild hunters suggestion from above honestly sounds great. I might try that one out myself some day (Thank you for that by the way)
But for other options, change up the setting. Pirates on the open sea. Targeting trade ships and other pirates alike, while hunting the monsters out at sea. For the evil part, could drop hints of important cargo, food transports for starving countries, raid coastal towns, etc. Chase them down with surrounding kingdom navies to make them feel like they've made an impact.