PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Games for a Family Game Night?

Johnmakuta
2016-07-09, 08:21 PM
My family used to get together every Friday night with all of our family that lived in our neighborhood (7-10 people) for a family movie/game night. In recent years we haven't gotten together nearly as much due to kids having increased school work and different events happening so now we are trying to get back to it. The only problem is that there aren't a lot of games that are great for 7+ players. I suggested a D&D campaign but that is a bit advanced for some of the players plus the boys don't exactly enjoy going to the brothel/pub in-game with their mother staring at them. I also had thought of some console games but then at least three people would be left out unless we played on multiple consoles and at that point we might as well be at our own homes. I do have some VERY old strategy board games but they are the kind that take days, weeks, possibly months to fully play out and many of the players do not have the patience for such a game. I have come to the conclusion that in order to play a game that everyone can enjoy it will have to be a light, easy to start role playing game. I am thinking something like a mystery or puzzle. Any suggestions for a good? Preferably something I can buy from Amazon.

Sian
2016-07-10, 02:24 AM
What are the age range?

Are you most into games of the European Style or American?

And yes, there aren't many games that work well with 7+ players ... hell, even 5+ is questionable.

Junta (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)) with some limitations in how large the money pile is at the start (as the game ends when the pile empties), and some limit on how willing people should be to revolt?

Sholos
2016-07-10, 07:24 AM
Off the top of my head, Shadows Over Camelot, Resistance, and Dead of Winter all support a large number of players. Also Battlestar Galactica, but that requires a lot of patience as the game is long and can get congested with that many people even though it technically supports it.

Knaight
2016-07-10, 08:19 AM
Taboo, Balderdash, The Resistance, and Coup are four fairly obvious board games that work for everyone at once.

Cespenar
2016-07-10, 09:52 AM
Mafia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)), maybe? An advantage is that you won't have to buy anything.

Lethologica
2016-07-10, 11:56 AM
There's always blackjack and apples to apples. And uno.

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-07-11, 11:37 AM
Tsuro plays up to eight players, it's dead-simple, makes a great filler. Won't solve your problems totally, but it's a great addition.

VoxRationis
2016-07-11, 11:50 AM
Diplomacy.

Knaight
2016-07-11, 12:56 PM
Diplomacy.

You say this sarcastically, but it can work - I'd probably give it a few years, since it doesn't do well with short attention span players, but it really is a good game.

VoxRationis
2016-07-11, 02:06 PM
You say this sarcastically, but it can work - I'd probably give it a few years, since it doesn't do well with short attention span players, but it really is a good game.

Oh no, I love Diplomacy—it's just not good for the "light-hearted game to be played with children" genre. Most adults I know don't have the patience for it, and younger players may not be able to separate betrayals in-game from out-of-game relationships.