PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Blades

lacesmcawesome
2007-07-02, 10:25 AM
So I was bored, and just kind of thinking about my character, who wields a quarterstaff, and things, when I wondered:

What would happen if he hid a blade in his quarterstaff? How awesome would that be?

My first *real* question would be if it's legal by the RAW, and next would be how does it affect the staff's damage? I'm fairly sure the sword would do the same damage as maybe a short sword or a regular one-handed sword, but since the quarterstaff has been tampered with a bit, would it still do the 1d8/1d8 (that's what it does, right? All this is from memory, since I'm without a book currently, and too lazy to search the SRD)

Delaney Gale
2007-07-02, 10:29 AM
It's actually 1d6/1d6. ^^ I think that it would probably have to be house-ruled in, and you'd probably take non-proficiency penalties wielding it unless you took an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in it.

JellyPooga
2007-07-02, 10:29 AM
Check Races of the Wild...there're rules for exactly that sort of thing. I forget what it's called, but it's a dagger that's spring loaded into the hilt of another weapon that you can use when you're grappling and such.

banjo1985
2007-07-02, 10:30 AM
Quarterstaffs do 1d6/1d6 don't they?
Edit: Oops sorry delaney, you beat me to it :smallsmile:

But what the hell, having a blade on the end of a quarterstaffs pretty cool, no matter what the mechanics would be!

lacesmcawesome
2007-07-02, 10:34 AM
Quarterstaffs do 1d6/1d6 don't they?
Edit: Oops sorry delaney, you beat me to it :smallsmile:

But what the hell, having a blade on the end of a quarterstaffs pretty cool, no matter what the mechanics would be!

Well, not really the end, more like, those hidden swords in canes. It's almost like using the quarterstaff as a sheath for the sword.

but yea, on the ends would rule too!

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-02, 10:35 AM
Complete Scoundrel has rules for hidden blades. Not only that, but it has rules for hidden compartments such as the one you are describing.

bugsysservant
2007-07-02, 10:44 AM
If you are going to put a usable dagger at the end of the staff (whether its spring loaded or whatever), just treat it as a glaive or a spear, depending on whether you would be slashing or stabbing most of the time. (technically it should be a spear since daggers do piercing, but I think you might be a ble to hide a cleaver like blade.)

Dant
2007-07-02, 11:15 AM
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I believe that the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide has this exact weapon. I believe that it turns the staff into a spear as a free action or something like that.

Second the Complete Scoundrel for concealed weapons though. Decent rules for it.

SpiderBrigade
2007-07-02, 11:26 AM
I think it would be perfectly reasonable (balancewise) to have a quarterstaff, which functioned identically to a normal quarterstaff, but then could be split into either a single sword and sheath, or even two swords (the blades overlapping while in staff form). Splitting the staff would be the equivalent of drawing a weapon. I'd say making such an item would be quite expensive, but it wouldn't really be an exotic weapon.

The only way it would justify additional drawbacks, or exotic status, is if it let you do something extra-special, like treat an enemy as flatfooted vs. your first attack with the swords, or something. If it's just a weapon that can be used two ways, it's not powerful enough to warrant anything other than increased cost.

lukelightning
2007-07-02, 01:41 PM
I sprung that trick on my players...there was a "mage" that was actually an akashic (skill-monkey class from Arcana Unearthed); this mage's staff was actually a spear in disguise. Wasn't a big difference; 1d8 damage vs 1d6, but it underscored the fact that they thought they were attacking someone who was helpless in melee, but in truth was pumped up on battle memory and ritual combat.

Jimp
2007-07-02, 05:18 PM
There's a similar weapon in Oriental Adventures called a Shikomi-Zue and I think there could be another one.

In 2nd edition there is information on this kind of stuff in the Ninja Handbook (and maybe the rogue one too, not sure). You could buy modifications to your equipment to hide blades in them or make secret compartments. I know the secret compartment idea carried over into 3rd but I can't remember any 3rd edition hidden blade modification.

DraPrime
2007-07-02, 05:48 PM
I think that this would basically create a spear. Hooray for 2 weapons in 1!!!!!