PDA

View Full Version : Sun Soul Monk or Bladesinger?

WeaselGuy
2016-07-10, 02:33 PM
So, my wife is going to be running Curse of Strahd, starting at the end of the month. I'm working on getting her to allow UA and the SCAG, and if she does, I'm trying to decide between a Fire Genasi Sun Soul Monk and a Drow Bladesinger. Thoughts and suggestions? Maybe some build highlights for each, as well? Thanks in advance!

RickAllison
2016-07-10, 03:46 PM
Aarakocra Sun Soul Monks feel dirty, but would be super effective. Even without the bird wings, the main ability of the SSM is its ability to attack without getting caught up in opportunity attacks. Between increased speed and the range, SSMs rarely should suffer them which is good news when you are facing undead.

Blade singers are wizards first and foremost, just ones who are sturdier and can mix it up in melee. These are the guys who can drop down Fireballs and CC while in the middle of a crowd.

I would look at your group dynamic to decide. If you need more damage, especially at targeting squishies, go SSM. Blade singers give more utility and burst damage, at the cost of sustained damage. See which strengths your party needs and go from there.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-10, 04:14 PM
Sun Soul is ranged, but somewhat weaker than a straight Monk as you can't bonus action blast without spending Ki. You get some more AoE than normal monks, and I think (though I don't remember the math, so don't quote me) you wind up being able to throw around a few more area blasts than most casters.

RickAllison
2016-07-10, 06:06 PM
Sun Soul is ranged, but somewhat weaker than a straight Monk as you can't bonus action blast without spending Ki. You get some more AoE than normal monks, and I think (though I don't remember the math, so don't quote me) you wind up being able to throw around a few more area blasts than most casters.

The Masenko-Ha? I love that ability. It is one of only two at-will AoE attacks, with the Hunter's Volley Multiattack being similar. The SSM gets to do it all day long, however.

With that ability, the SSM kind of destroys mid-range sustained warfare. It is a mini-Fireball that can be used throughout the day. Tears apart formations.

Do also note that a Sun Soul can still be as effective as other monks in melee, he just doesn't get the bonuses of the Open Hand.