PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pseudodragon cleric advice?

Jarmen4u
2016-07-10, 04:18 PM
So I'm in a fairly unique situation in where my druid character is being given a level 1 pseudodragon as a companion as a means to counter the irregular schedule of many of our other players.

Due to the unique way we rolled stats (just a d20, only reroll 1's) my stat array is as follows (stat assignments are final, no rearranging, hence the choice to be a cleric):

3 STR
12 DEX
19 CON
15 INT
20 WIS
11 CHA

I am pretty unfamiliar with pseudodragons, so I was hoping to reach out to the playground to get some optimization advice as far as eventual prestige classes/feat choices/magic items to buy etc etc.

Keep the cheese mild, the DM is a bit of a "I don't care if the rules say you can, you can't (insert unreasonable cheesy thing)"

Thanks!

schreier
2016-07-10, 08:41 PM
Generally, everyone recommends mindsight for pseudodragons

Bronk
2016-07-11, 06:55 AM
Normally you'd use the pseudodragon's normal stats instead of using a strange homebrewed system, it would have a minimum of 2HD, and +3 LA.

The comment about 'cheese' is interesting, because your DM has already messed around with the rules so much as it is. For example, you've ended up with a 3 strength... if you actually applied the pseudodragon's ability adjustments, you'd end up with a +2 to wisdom, which would be nice on a cleric, but also a -4 to strength, which would make the poor guy too weak to move.

So yeah, I'd say just go with what you've got and make a regular cleric, give it a wee odd sized set of full plate, as good a periapt of wisdom as you can afford, and just have it ride around on your shoulder casting spells for you (and flying around grabbing things, and using it's better perception type rolls) until you both level up for a while.

Troacctid
2016-07-11, 12:47 PM
Generally, everyone recommends mindsight for pseudodragons
Why? It already has blindsense.

Inevitability
2016-07-11, 12:57 PM
Why? It already has blindsense.

If you have a savvy DM, anything optimized for sneaking will have Darkstalker or similar means of blocking blindsight and blindsense.

Mindsense also allows you to know the type and intelligence of creatures you detect through telepathy (our quest-giver is probably a mind flayer, just a heads up).

schreier
2016-07-11, 02:05 PM
I was trying to look up the specific language of mindsight, but was swordsaged so won't bother ... but yes, know the type and Int of creatures can be more useful than just location.

Mindsight should also work through walls/doors/etc - where blindsight would not.

Jarmen4u
2016-07-12, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, just came back around to this thread. What is mindsight? Or rather, what's the source for it? I haven't heard of it before. Sounds very interesting. And yeah, the homebrew stuff he's running seems a bit cheesy sometimes but it's how he's been running games for decades so he's used to the cheese I guess? Also, I couldn't actually find any player stat adjustments for pseudos, so I didn't see anything about a -4 str or + to wisdom. If you could also source that for me I would appreciate it.

Looked up the feat, looks nice. So other than Mindsight, what other things should I look at?

Ruethgar
2016-07-12, 01:37 PM
Also, I couldn't actually find any player stat adjustments for pseudos, so I didn't see anything about a -4 str or + to wisdom. If you could also source that for me I would appreciate it.

With the noted exception of Kobolds(because they originally needed the boost) and some classed humanoids, all creatures in the monster manual have starting ability scores of 11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10 according to the MMI. AFB so don't have a page number but it made if pretty clear in the Kobold entry that that was the case. So to get the stat adjustments, you just subtract 10 or 11 to get an even number, just like you do with Lycanthropy of an unusual type not already listed.

schreier
2016-07-12, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, just came back around to this thread. What is mindsight? Or rather, what's the source for it?

Lords of Madness, p. 126

Jarmen4u
2016-07-12, 08:48 PM
So other than Mindsight, anything else I should look at? Specific spells, other feats, gear to take etc?

schreier
2016-07-13, 07:46 AM
11 cha makes Divine Metamagic tough

Here's an idea (if it's not too late) -- what about a Druid instead of Cleric? Get some nice wildshaping, good spells, and could even go into master of many forms if you want the pseudodragon to be able to go into human form

The high con calculates the HP still, so that's good ... the rest of the physical stats are meh .. then go natural spell, mindsight, etc

Jarmen4u
2016-07-13, 10:36 PM
11 cha makes Divine Metamagic tough

Here's an idea (if it's not too late) -- what about a Druid instead of Cleric? Get some nice wildshaping, good spells, and could even go into master of many forms if you want the pseudodragon to be able to go into human form

The high con calculates the HP still, so that's good ... the rest of the physical stats are meh .. then go natural spell, mindsight, etc

The only reason I didn't go for a Druid is because... my character is already a Druid. And I didn't want to overlap them (or potentially have the companion out-druid the Druid)

Jarmen4u
2016-07-14, 09:46 PM
bumpsomeone please help :(