PDA

View Full Version : [NPC PrC] Potionbrewer

Morty
2007-07-02, 11:22 AM
This NPC PrC is being made using Complete Commoner variant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10278), but I'll add requirements for standard, non-variant NPCs as well. Like Magesmith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48326), it is designed to allow non-spellcasters to create magical items, in this case potions.

Some chemists, while not being spellcasters themselves, achieve such knowledge of alchemy that they can make magical potions.

Potionbrewer
Requirements: Master (Chemist) class ability, Skill Focus: Profession (Chemist), Profession (Chemist) 9 ranks, Craft (Chemistry) 4 ranks
Non-variant Requirements: Skill Focus: Profession (Chemist), Profession (Chemist) 10 ranks, Craft (Chemistry) 5 ranks
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Brew magic potions, Brew unknown spell 1

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Brew unknown spell 2

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+1|Brew unknown spell 3 [/table]

Class skills: Concentration, Craft, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Profession, Use Magic Device

Brew magic potions: Potionbrewer can create magical potions despite not being spellcaster. When he takes first level of PrC, he needs to decide if he's going to use Sorcerer/Wizard or Cleric spell list. He can substitute spells by making Profession(Chemist) check of DC 20+caster level. He can substitute spells of max level of his Brew unknown spell ability; see below. He must pay normal costs in money of creating a potion, but doesn't have to pay XP.
Brew unknown spell: Potionbrewers can create potions despite not knowing right spells, due to their mastery in craft of alchemy.

There we go. What do you think? Does it make any sense? Underpowered? Overpowered?

jindra34
2007-07-02, 11:29 AM
How exactly does Mimic spell work?

Morty
2007-07-02, 11:33 AM
How exactly does Mimic spell work?

It works that way: With Mimic Spell level 1, Potionbrewer can mimic 1st level spells for the purpose of brewing potions, with Mimic Spell level 2, Potionbrewer can mimic also 2nd level spells, same with Mimic Spell level 3. I didn't quite know how to word it...
BTW, does anyone have better name for this PrC?

Morty
2007-07-04, 04:53 AM
Bump. Any comments?

psychoticbarber
2007-07-04, 12:22 PM
This is pretty cool stuff. I find in my games that my commoner's abilities move at the speed of plot, rather than anything else. If I need a potionbrewer, hey look, there he is!

I'll reiterate that even though I wouldn't use it, it's a pretty sweet concoction (pardon the pun)

sigurd
2007-07-04, 08:04 PM
How bout 'Brew Unknown Spell'

Potion brewers specialize in the study of spells contained in liquid. Through their knowledge and skills they may brew a potion containing a spell they cannot cast. This is a unique ability derived from their competence with rare and magical ingredients. What spells can be brewed and their affects are subject to the limitations of setting and DM approval. Often, rare spells might only be brewed at certain times of the year or with very rare ingredients.
This extreme familiarity with local conditions and rare ingredients is an NPC only skill.

Were I to use this sort of NPC I'd probably make a region's Potionbrewers famous for a particular potion that is easier to produce in their region. ie the vale has a glacier and in the early spring the potionbrewers gather to harvest the first meltings because that is a necessary ingredient for ______. Throughout the year they can sell these potions at a discount or trade them to other locations.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-22, 08:00 AM
id take that. I see it now, my artificer 10/potionbrewer 3.

Wheres master (chemist) found at?