PDA

View Full Version : Finding Dory

Pex
2016-07-10, 11:28 PM
Waiting a few weeks to let the kids see it first, I finally saw the movie. Since practically the entire audience was also adults without kids I guess I wasn't the only one not wanting to be conspicuous being a childless adult watching a kids movie in a theater of kids and their parents. While it is a kids movie the audience was quite enamored. It got a few laughs and oh noes. There was applause at the end. The birdie pre-show was adorable. Pixar did it again with an entertaining film adults and kids can like. It was wholesome fun.

I appreciate there were no villains. Technically the squid could be one, but overall our heroes only had to overcome obstacles. There was no political propaganda being shoved down our throats - my feet were happy. Humans and the Marine Park were not the enemy; they were just the obstacle course. Quarantine was not an evil place. Cleveland was not purgatory. The octopus wanted to go to Cleveland and not one fish or animal in the park were upset about being there. Well, the fish in the Touch Tank weren't happy, but it was about the Hands not captivity.

BiblioRook
2016-07-11, 12:21 AM
I honestly liked it far more then the first one. I know Finding Nemo is considered one of the better movies in Pixar's lineup or something, but for some reason I just didn't really care for it where-as Finding Dory I absolutely loved. Trying to think back as to why I think it's very much about the characters. The characters of Finding Nemo, while colorful, always struck me as kind of pointless as few of them really seemed to matter much in the scope of the story and instead were goofy but ultimately unimportant pit-stops on the road to the main plot. Most of them I found forgettable at best and downright unlikable at worst (ugh, those turtles, thank goodness their cameo in the sequel was brief). The characters of Finding Dory however had me right from the get-go. Not saying all of them were perfect (the beluga whale for one) but many were just amazing (Hank, oh man, Hank). Honestly, not having the movie focus so much on Marlin alone also probably made a big difference.

danzibr
2016-07-12, 09:10 AM
Huh. I didn't like it. I felt like the bird pre-film dragged on and on. The movie itself was really choppy.

BWR
2016-07-12, 10:06 AM
Haven't seen it yet and was not too impressed by FN. The only reason I would bother to watch it in the theaters is because Dory is exactly like a friend of mine. Sure, Dory is a dumber and more forgetful, but personality-wise they are twins separated at birth.

ChillerInstinct
2016-07-12, 07:10 PM
Saw it a couple weeks back. Definitely one of Pixar's better movies in the past 10 or so years (minus Up, Wall-E, and Toy Story 3, anyway), though I wouldn't put it on the same echelon as the first. It's funny, heartwarming, and the big climax is honestly one of Pixar's best, but the flow isn't quite right, and a lot of the new side characters fall short of the mark.

Overall though, it's definitely pretty good, and I enjoyed it more than most of Pixar's post-Incredibles films. Also their best non-Toy Story sequel by a country mile.

Ruslan
2016-07-12, 09:45 PM
A great film. Easily in the top two best animated films of the year.

DigoDragon
2016-07-12, 09:51 PM
I saw it a week ago and thought it was alright. Not great, not terrible, kind of in that forgettable middle section of Pixar's lineup.

It had its moments though. As I liked to joke about this film~
Finding Dory is a middling sequel that just kept swimming until it finally jumped the whale shark at the end. :smallbiggrin:

Murk
2016-07-13, 08:26 AM
I thought it was a decent film, because it followed all the steps and structure of Finding Nemo,
and because of that, only decent, because it was quite clearly a sequel following all the steps and structure of Finding Nemo.

The characters were once again done very well, and most of the silly jokes. I'm not quite sure about the moral of the story - they seemed to cram a few extra morals in at the end. Also not sure why we should all be convinced the octopus is better off now. Why again was he not allowed to go to his retirement paradise?

DigoDragon
2016-07-13, 08:42 AM
Also not sure why we should all be convinced the octopus is better off now. Why again was he not allowed to go to his retirement paradise?

I felt like the movie was saying "Don't be reclusive, you should go be with others!" or something along those lines, but I saw nothing inherently wrong with Hank's desire to leave on that truck for Cleveland. He was a bit impatient with Dory at times, but he never tried to actively screw her over to get what he wanted. And what Hank wanted was a nice quiet life. I didn't hear anything about that Cleveland aquarium being a bad place.

It would be like if you wanted to move to the countryside for the simple, quiet aesthetics, but everyone drags you out to the big city instead. And now you're working a job as a substitute teacher for a class of kids. :smalltongue: