PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Epitaphs of D&D Heroines and Heroes: Remembering the Fallen PC's of 5e

DiceDiceBaby
2016-07-11, 03:52 AM
I've been looking around for a thread that did this, but couldn't find one (except one on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2anqhg/the_most_humiliatinginteresting_ways_pcs_have_died/), but that one seems to be more for comedic or mechanical value than a solemn collection), so I decided to start one here.

The premise of this thread is simple: feel free to write an epitaph (noun: a phrase or statement written in memory of a person who has died, especially as an inscription on a tombstone) about any D&D character you know who died in your campaign (not necessarily your character).

It can be as short as an obituary entry, or as long as a speech you would tell at this PCs funeral. Bonus points if you mention the bold deeds they did, the life they lived, and eventually how they died.

For those who need consolation to cope with their PCs death, consider this therapy. For those who want valiant stories of life and death in 5e, consider this a compilation of the tales of great adventurers. May these heroes forever be remembered in word and song... or at least as long as the thread stays alive.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I'm new to D&D, and haven't experienced a PC death yet. However, I am legitimately interested in hearing about your (or your playgroup’s) epic heroes and how they met their end.

Untimely death due to a fumble? Heroic sacrifice to save the party? Old age after reaching level 20? Retirement from adventuring and leading a comfortable life with a fortune? Poison from betrayal of NPC villains? In combat because of a Dragon's flame? Suicide? Driven to madness? Executed for a crime they did not commit?

Tell their story, and let them be remembered.

Lombra
2016-07-11, 04:10 AM
To Reghar, the white dragonborn, Tempest Cleric of Auril:

Your life has always been a mistery, and you left us that night, leaving us nothing but the blurred memory of your assassin.

Devout to your ideals, and devout to your mission, none of us ever discoverd your true intentions, but it is clear to all of us that you pursued them at the cost of your life.

We did not know you, but we will remember you. Our vengeance is going to reach for those who planned your death.

~Temeritas and the others.

Axorfett12
2016-07-11, 10:07 AM
To Ralon Amonodel, Half elven vampire warlock, wielder of the book of vile darkness...

Our scrying spells revealed your location in the briny halls of Brutus. Your eternal servitude to that lecherous lich amuses greatly. We have decided to leave you there. We'll scry in every once in a while, but you deserve this fate. After all, you would have done the same to any of us, would you not?

Good riddance, you traitorous bloodsucker,

Boddyknock Namfoodle Waywocket Ningelbadger Stumbleduck The Lesser and company.

(I rolled three 1s in a row while attempting to escape from the grasp of skeletal servants dragging me to the ocean depths. Got locked in a tower with an undead dragon turtle. Retired the character as he was too powerful anyway.)

Falcon X
2016-07-11, 12:14 PM
To Trizzius

As you you did leap off the castle parapet to slay the dragon did roll a natural 20 to strike the beast and did drive him away, but alas, you rolled a critical miss to grab onto the dragon and ride him, and thus did fall to your death.

Trizzius did think he was a god, though we knew he was not. I like to think that in the afterlife, he has been allowed some measure of hope in his continued dillusion.

ruy343
2016-07-11, 12:34 PM
To Ashton, the Arcane Trickster:

Who left the others at the inn in a most "noble" attempt to join a cult. While the cultists chanted, and the priestess held him bound with Hold Person, he rolled to escape his magical bindings:

His sacrifice will be remembered.

EDIT: No joke, this actually happened. Best part: everyone in the room chanting "He is the Ancient, He is the Land" as he made his rolls

Corran
2016-07-11, 12:40 PM
Recipient: father Archiebald
Address: River Stygx, Nine Hells

Dear father Archiebald. I remember how ecastatic I was when our party learned that you, a novice priest and fellow worshiper of Erathis, would help us in our quest to spread hope and deliver justice to the troubled lands of Valoreign. And with you being new to adventuring (and OoC, new to dnd), I aspired to be a good rolemodel who would help you stay true to the teachings of the godess. I admit that I failed you in that respect.

I certainly failed you when I did not manage to restrain you from starting a brawl that turned into a slaughter, when our group visited the infamous tavern Captain Morgan with the purpose of acquiring some information in a discrete fashion. I also failed you horribly when I was sleeping too heavily later the same night, to notice you slip outside our hideout, to go back to that tavern during the late hours, packing a portable ram so that you could demolish the aforementioned tavern, an ambitious plan that of course ended with you being arrested by the oversuspicious and overzealous city guards, who did not believe that the portable ram was a present you were going to give to a friend of yours at that late hour in the night. At least I did not fail to miraculously secure your release, after giving oath after oath to the guard captain that I would keep an eye on you, after putting my good name in the line, and after of course paying a significant amount for compensation for the destruction that was caused from the fight you had started.

I did however fail to cancel the legal duel you issued and arranged for honor's shake, against one of the guys you had fought against during the previous night. But since the duel would be supervised and since it was not to the death, I agreed to chip in to cover the expenses of this arrangement (and it wasn't cheap), since at least it would mean that no matter the outcome of the duel, we would finally put this mess behind us and carry on with our important quest (fighting some undead btw). And when you were beaten bloody, and you were brought back to consciousness, I failed to find the right words that would make you forget this horrible bussiness. I know it is partly my fault for your actions (which you did not reveal at that point), to murder the guy you fought against and his whole family later that day.

And when we were venturing through that tomb that was filled with undead, I failed to convince you to use your healing powers on the group when we were on the brink of death. And I failed to notice that you had lost your holy symbol and that was why you could not turn the undead. Despite my grave errors, we did survive that one.

I also ceratinly failed you when I lost my temper, after hearing from you yourself of you murdering that innocent family. Hopefully, my petty efforts to have you hunged were stopped by your noble family that commanded a lot of influence around that part of the world.

Finally, a couple of weeks later, when we had ambushed the tower of that evil necromancer, I did once again fail to convince you to wait for me to use every single spell slot, potion and point of my lay on hands, to bring back to consciousness our other two companions, and you instead charged to the final boss alone. A bold move, but to be expected from someone as brave and heroic as you! At least you had all your slots intact, since you had left me responsible for healing the group, despite you being the cleric. But I understand, it was smart strategy... And when we entered the room where you had fought valiantly on your own against the necromancer, and found you unconscious but still alive, clutched in the hands of the villain who was standing next to an open window, and threatened us to cut your throat and throw your body from the open window that was standing 3 floors above the cold ground (overkill much?), unless we agreed to let him escape with all his crimes (and they were many...), I am sure you know that I had no other choice... Sure, Turgon, our charismatic rogue, could have easily lied successfully to get you free and then we could have just stabbed the necromancer in the back. But this is not a paladin's way! Nor is it lying for that matter, or even staying passive when the life of her friends are at risk. So I did the only thing I knew: ''There is no way that we will let you flee, prepare to pay for your crimes vile mage! I will smite thee!!!!''

I want you to know that I personaly buried you smashed from the fall dead body. I even gave a neat little speech. I really hope that you are in a better place now. If it is any consolation, we did kill the necromancer, avenging your death and restoring peace to the nearby area.

Turgon and Edmond send their regards too!

Your true friend,
Lady Shiva Blackwood, humble servant and paladin of Erathis.

Theodoxus
2016-07-11, 01:23 PM
To Caladan the Insane, beloved brother of Darcian, may Lathander guide you swiftly.

Never eat the flesh of your fallen comrades, no matter how well prepared.
Never succumb to the susurrus lamentations of the Demogorgon.
And never, ever, let your companions throw you into the deep lake, just to make your screams of pain stop.

Albion, cleric of life to Lathander, demonbane and bearer of Dawnbringer.

Note to those playing Out of the Abyss: Madness isn't a joke, and don't make Elf Ear Soup, if you don't want to quickly succumb to the insanity. :smallbiggrin:

Belac93
2016-07-12, 02:16 AM
To Valatrone, fallen paladin of helm, the last of the Yondilan knights:

He died as he lived; attempting to kill rats by jumping off high places. The top of Castle Ravenloft probably wasn't the best choice.

Rose the depraved.

Vorpalchicken
2016-07-12, 08:14 AM
Usceurk the Dark

He acted first. He shot first. He died first.

Alas he only survived a single round of combat.
After scouting the entire bandit camp with the aid of his trusty spider familiar, he sprang into the fray when one of his comrades was spotted by a sentry.
After striking that sentry with a fire bolt, he took cover confidently behind some bushes, trusting his mage Armour and his cat-like reflexes.

The bandit leader managed to graze him and Uscceurk stoically conserved his shield spell, knowing an opportune offensive spell could well decide this fight but confident that an unlikely second arrow hit could be deflected if need be.

The bandit sentry 's arrow, the second arrow fired in the battle, entered Usceurk's skull above his left eye and exited the back of his head, a smile of confidence still on his lips.

DiceDiceBaby
2016-07-31, 05:35 AM
Dear Barbadugsh,

I knew you not, yet tales were told of your boldness and bravery by my comrades. The epitome of rage, you were fierce in combat, first in the fray, even fought to the bitter end, gazing fearlessly into the eyes of a basilisk, despite all your friends warning you to do otherwise. You will be remembered forever for your enduring... some would say, stone-hard... stubborness in the face of danger, immortalized in granite as a wonderous statue in our lair.

The Bard-You-Never-Knew,
Lery Jeskin

OOC: Really love these stories, guys! First death in our campaign was something my character didn't witness personally, sadly. Looking forward to reading more!

Sir_Leorik
2016-07-31, 06:24 AM
To Mahbas, Human Druid! Born in the village of Immol, in the lands of Barovia, he proudly represented his Forfarian heritage! He fled Barovia into the Mists, and emerged in Mordentshire, where he joined the Human Fighter Sion to investigate the ghostly happenings around the town. They investigated Poltergeists and aquatic Reavers, before their ship was swallowed up in the Mists. Together with the Half-Elf Rogue Karrack and the Tiefling Bard Josephine, they were whisked away to the Domain of Rokushima Taiyoo. There they ran afoul of the warring Shujin, who dispatched ninja to assassinate the party. Separated into two groups, Karack and Mahbas were surprised by the ninja, who battled the Druid and Rogue. Despite wild shaping into a bear, Mahbas was cut down, and bled to death before help could arrive! As a result the adventurers gave Mahbas a burial at sea, and named themselves The Company of the Lost Druid.

(One of the PCs in my Ravenloft campaign.)

NecroDancer
2016-08-26, 11:45 PM
To the rest of my party

Brave 2nd level adventurers killed by a cone of cold, luckily me and the ranger were not caught in the blast radius due to our low initiative

RickAllison
2016-08-27, 12:30 AM
To Quierk:

You were always the odd one of the nest, embracing a life of dedication to the more transient paths of your brothers. Loyal to a fault and reckless as a barbarian, it surprised no one that you would take any chance that would help those you believed in.

You tried to get reinforcements from the armies of the Aarakocra, but instead the path changed and you plunged into the elemental plane of earth. We hope that you find your way to your old company from your times of war, but we know our eyes shall never fall on you again.

To the Vengeance Paladin:

Unceasingly homicidal, you were a passionate soul. May you find endless hostiles to slay in the afterlife, hopefully ones which are closer to your power than the Mummy Lord at level 6 when the rest of the pRty fled.

To the Warlock:

In the first week we knew you, you attempted to force an entire village into a cult and attacked several party members and allies. You then shot someone who was obviously powerful with obviously powerful friends nearby. You were an idiot, and will not be missed.

MasterMercury
2016-08-27, 06:09 PM
Dear Grogar the Strong, half-Orc.
You were a monk, trained in the ways of the iron grasp. You were stronger than most monks, but not quite as dexterous. You were always the first into battle, and always the first unconscious.
You will be remembered for your bravery, holding an ogre in a headlock and kicking with all your might. If only you had seen his larger friend's tree branch.
You will be remembered for your bravery, selflessness, and your insatiable appetite for halfling women.

Written by Ward Half-Hand. I killed the ogres in your name, and continue to attempt to make sweet love to every halfling I meet, in your name.

Laserlight
2016-08-27, 06:11 PM
To the monk who fell at Gardemore Abbey:

Most people get a bit disturbed when I turn them into a Giant Ape; I'm glad that in your case, it brightened your day. To tell you the truth--and why not, you're dead--I don't think there's any connection between "monkey" and "monk", so your becoming a "great monkey" probably did not actually have any religious benefit for you. I guess you've figured that out by now.

In retrospect, maybe I should have Polymorphed you again, when the undead were draining the life from you; it would very likely have saved you. On the other hand, I only have so many spell slots and Polymorph competes with Wall of Fire, and hey, fire sorcerer. And to be fair, Wall of Fire did save the party from the undead--I mean the rest of the party, obviously--so I feel pretty good about choosing it. The Wall also burned your corpse to charcoal, so we don't have to worry about you coming back as undead yourself, and I feel pretty good about that too.

I'd promise to remember your heroism eternally, but, well, I forgot your name before we got out of the abbey. Sorry about that. But since you were a monk, probably you were into that whole "life is an illusion" and "becoming one with the void" kind of thing, right? So, I dunno, maybe forgetting you helps you gain enlightenment?

Anyway, just between you and me, I'm only reciting this to let Candi and Brandi here know that I'm a powerful sorcerer, and bold enough to risk my, or at least your, life on important missions. And it looks like I've made my CHA checks, and this tavern rents rooms by the night, so, bye.

Connall Langstaff of the Ravening Flame

JumboWheat01
2016-08-27, 06:19 PM
To Whatever-your-name-is Gwigfallow, a Lightfoot Sorcerer born of Wild Magic,

You always did love food, and the spicier the better. The Fireball you ate as the Wild Magic's you channeled decided to be cruel may have been too spicy, even for your tastes. May the food in the after-life always be filling.

((I really did forget his first name. The only reason I remember the surname is because all my Lightfoot Halflings are of the Gwigfallow family. It's a very big family.))

Zman
2016-08-27, 06:52 PM
Raise a glass of good Dwarven mead to Garen, may he forever torment the aspect of Baohomet that drug him kicking and screaming into the abyss. You are missed.

---

Garen, Dwarven fighter that was grappled and drug though a closing portal to the abyss by a Goristro way above his weightclass.

Draco4472
2016-08-27, 07:02 PM
To Fang Chainbreaker, Half-Orc fighter, master smith and master user of a greatsword...

Who died trying to defeat cultists of elemental fire...

And took two heavy crossbow bolts and a fireball before he went down...

On the one day the Cleric wasn't able to be with the rest of the party...

Tempest was not with him.

BoutsofInsanity
2016-08-27, 10:24 PM
Enscribed on the tombstone as a warning

Here lies the traitorous remains of Severe the Merciless, the first and last tiefling knight of Vaarahale. May you serve as a reminder to the rest of us denziens of the realm, that your filth is worth nothing and contains no honor. Your attempt to sully our nation by kidnapping our font of healing and rightful heir to the throne, the very person you were supposed to protect, illuminates us to the evil and darkness you hid in your heart.

Tear stained note left inside the Casket of Severe the Merciless, snuck inside by a thief in the night

Dear Protector, Knight of Honor, Warrior of Virtue, my Hero, my faithful guardian

I write knowing no one will know the truth. That when you saw my pain, that when you saw what was done to me, that to activate my healing abilities of blood, I had to bleed, to purify all fluid, I had to cry, that to end aging and ensure the Eternal King's longevity I had to be shaved. And you didn't hesitate.

Three days were all it took. Once you ascended to my gaurdian, that you were trusted to see the secret, that I am not royal blood, but found out in the wild and illusioned upon to fool others to secure the King's Power that 3 days were all it took to whisk me away. You and your band of loyal knights.

Your first thought wasn't to use this to advantage, to hurt me for gain, but rather, throw away all the progress you had made for your race, for yourself, your progress with your true love, to save me. To remove me from danger.

My hero, Knight, Virtuous warrior. I will forever remember you, and harden my heart. For I know that one day I will escape here, and I swear I will avenge you, in this life or the next.

Yours Truly, Vaarahale's Font of Healing, Princess Veirana

MasterMercury
2016-08-28, 11:39 AM
Written on a piece of parchment in Dionysus the halfling rogue's bag.

Note to self:
Remember Haki Gingerchisel? That Paladin dwarf guy you stormed the necromancer's lair in? Remember how you killed him after he tried to kill you after you stole all his gold off him? How you two fought each other as that blue dragon guy held off 4 zombies single handedly? And then, after you killed him, you left his corpse in the lair, while you carried the Necromancer's corpse back for the bounty. Yeah, someday you should go back and give Haki a proper send off. Someday....

JumboWheat01
2016-10-11, 09:43 AM
Rest in peace, Endol Gwigfallow, Lightfoot Bard, and know that you have taught us all a valuable lesson. Apparently ghosts do not like bawdy tavern songs.

------------

...Why have both my character deaths been my Gwigfallows so far? Is the family line cursed or something?