PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Caster level on item?

Keral
2016-07-11, 09:53 AM
I've been trying to determine the price of an item using the
"Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues)

What about the caster level part? Now, I understand that if I have an item that casts, idk, Silence, I should already know that depending on how much it lasts. But what about spells that do not have different effects depending on caster level? Like Identify? How do I determine its price?

torrasque666
2016-07-11, 10:09 AM
I've been trying to determine the price of an item using the
"Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues)

What about the caster level part? Now, I understand that if I have an item that casts, idk, Silence, I should already know that depending on how much it lasts. But what about spells that do not have different effects depending on caster level? Like Identify? How do I determine its price?

Easiest way is to assume no early access situations and go with the lowest level the class that's crafting the item can cast it. So a wizard creating an item of Identify would create it at CL 1, while a cleric would create it at CL 3.

Keral
2016-07-11, 10:13 AM
Uh, that's interesting, I'll keep it in mind.

Although it's not the case here. See, the ring was found as loot, and I was trying to figure out more or less its worth. Is there a general rule or is it at the DM's discretion? And if so, should he tell me or am I not allowed to know?

torrasque666
2016-07-11, 10:26 AM
Uh, that's interesting, I'll keep it in mind.

Although it's not the case here. See, the ring was found as loot, and I was trying to figure out more or less its worth. Is there a general rule or is it at the DM's discretion? And if so, should he tell me or am I not allowed to know?

Well technically Identify says it identifies all magical properties so that night work. But generally finding the value of is a function of the Appraise skill.

Keral
2016-07-11, 10:29 AM
I see, Thank you!

Troacctid
2016-07-11, 12:39 PM
The general rule when no caster level is given is to assume it is the minimum caster level to cast all the prerequisite spells used in its creation.