PDA

View Full Version : The mute bard (or sorcerer) need mechanical help for a character concept

TheMightyPotato
2016-07-11, 10:48 AM
I had an idea for a character. (mainly inspired by Hakko from Canaan if anyone knows it)

So the basic premise is that the character can't speak without bringing out some magical effect. so the example mechanically i would use is that every time my character speaks i would cast thunderclap slightly reflavered to not be super loud and so on.

I was first thinking a bard would be good for it ass they have some speaking and power build in but maybe i would nerf myself to much with not being a very good face of the party as i can't speak without casting something. any healing is a soft humming mind altering effects are me saying what the character needs to do. That kinda thing.

A sorcerer might work too but then i would not be sure which subclass would fit the concept as the wild surges aren't really what I am looking for.

So I am stumped and would like some advice on building it especially if you know spells that could be reflavered to fit the concept or class features that fit it. I was thinking half elf so i have a powerful start and can take some more sub optimal choices to make the concept work.

All books and unearthed arcanas are fine by me

So I would like your advise to build this interesting but difficult concept without making an character that is just bad mechanically speaking.

Reosoul
2016-07-11, 05:35 PM
While a cool concept, this is somewhat counter-intuitive to playing together with a group of people, as a lot of it involves interplay, cooperation, communication. As a DM, if a player asked me about this concept, I'd allow it given that they stay in character AT ALL TIMES.

Joking aside.. I guess most of your spells should go with the verbal components? Can usually see which spells require it that have a little "V" next to the components.

Sigreid
2016-07-11, 06:19 PM
If you and a co-conspirator player both take sign language as an alternate language it could work well enough. Failing that, how good at charades are you?

Calen
2016-07-11, 06:25 PM
I have played in a game where one of the characters was unable to talk. A combination of notes (the character gave notes I mean) and sign language mean that the character worked out pretty well. As a magic user you have cantrips to work with as needed so that can help you. A storm sorcerer could work, giving your voice in exchange for controlling the wind maybe?