PDA

View Full Version : [PF] is there a completely stonk-raving-insane class?

Draconi Redfir
2016-07-11, 12:59 PM
Long story short; I died in my D&D game, so i made a new set of characters. every time one of them died, another one would teleport in to take his place, the only way to prevent this from happening was to teleport the individual away while still being alive.

This is exactly what happened to the most recent paladin incarnation, he was sent to the plane of Agony; The place where creatures from hell go when they need to be severely punished.

Presently, i have no plans of bringing this character back, but just in case i do, is there a class that primarily focuses on being absolutely insane i could swap him to? I figure after an hour or so any shred of sanity he's got left in there is probably gone.

And for the reccord; This was not done intentionally by the DM to stop the warping-in thing, the DM found it hilarious in a "hide behind the pile of bards!" way, we were just fighting an enemy who knew Prismatic spray and i got hit by the violet colour while failing my will save.

Arutema
2016-07-11, 01:02 PM
APG summoner is infamous for being a stealth 9th-level caster (due to getting spells early), and having a crazy customizable natural attack pounce-beast pet.

Though much of that could also be said for the core druid.

Zaq
2016-07-11, 01:09 PM
I don't play PF, but in general, there aren't reputable classes that explicitly hinge on being "absolutely insane," since a character who's actually "absolutely insane" isn't really playable, especially in the context of a party. (There are some poorly-written codes of conduct that have the unfortunate implication of characters who genuinely follow them being, well, not really okay—WotC's Paladin of Slaughter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofSlaughterClas sFeatures) being the obvious example—but that's not quite what you're talking about.)

In 3.5 (I don't know if there's a PF equivalent), the Alienist from Complete Arcane delves farther and farther into working with the denizens of the Far Realm (and it gets some class features, often with drawbacks, that are intended to represent the fact that they're losing touch with wholesome reality), which is the closest thing I can think of, but even the Alienist isn't supposed to be "absolutely insane."

That's not to say that you can't adapt a class to what you're looking for (again, I'm not super familiar with PF, but maybe some Oracle curses could be a good starting point?), but you're definitely going to have to do some of the fluff-work yourself rather than having it pre-done for you. Honestly, though, I don't think that's really a bad thing, since it would be really hard to use a class that was designed from the ground up to be like that.

Arc_knight25
2016-07-11, 01:17 PM
I feel like there should be more detail in this story. What level is your Paladin/Party? What was your party doing when you were spirited away by the purple beam of light? What God does your Paladin worship?

I feel like a Paladin would have enough resolve to not let themselves be killed in the depths of Hell. And would want retribution for being sent to where they wound up.

Your DM should come up with a terrifying RP end to your Paladin if your not going to make an attempt to return him. Or if the party has the means to save you and you personally say forget it. Then I say your DM should take your Paladin and make them a fallen Paladin and return against the party for being left to die.

But that's just me. I'm not a fan of the revolving door of PC characters coming in as soon as someone dies. There should be remorse and at least an attempt to see if the party can save one of their comrades.

the_david
2016-07-11, 02:51 PM
This could easily turn into an epic quest... For the other partymembers.

If this was 3.5, I'd say grayguard. The evil you witnessed has changed you, and you take on a "take no prisoners" mentality. You'd become obsessed with destroying evil in such a way that you might turn evil yourself. Think of Javert in les Miserables, or captain Ahab in Moby ****.
I'm not sure if there's something similar in Pathfinder. The closest thing would be an anti-paladin, and that might just be a little overkill. You don't want to try fallen paladin either, that one just sucks.

Troacctid
2016-07-11, 03:00 PM
I'd say grab an oracle curse with variant multiclassing.

meemaas
2016-07-11, 03:32 PM
Look into the MADman monk archetype from Dreamscarred Press April Augmented.

Zsaber0
2016-07-11, 03:37 PM
Maybe homebrew the Bloodrager class to use the paladin spell list and really play up the insane rage with a bit of roleplay?

Draconi Redfir
2016-07-11, 07:05 PM
All suggestions sound good so far, i'll be sure to check them out if i ever decide to bring the guy back. thanks for the help!

Arbane
2016-07-11, 07:25 PM
Wild Rager Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/wild-rager)? (WARNING: Does Not Play Well With Others.)

Ragechemist Alchemists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/ragechemist) aren't quite right in the head, either.

AnachroNinja
2016-07-11, 11:20 PM
You might take a look at the old version of the madness domain on the d20 SRD. It's strong if you abuse it but otherwise not to bad and the fluff can be fun. You essentially take a negative to all wisdom based checks but gain a bonus to spell DCs.

Incorrect
2016-07-12, 12:57 AM
The Master Chymist PrC is based on split personality disorder

But a barbarian/oracle/rage prophet might fit the insane paladin better.